#4161 Bishop*

Bishop*

Rookie

• 316 posts
  • Name:Kofi Oppong
  • Fan Since:1992
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted March 20, 2017 - 06:10 AM

Can somebody pull out stats of games Clarkson and DLo played together like they did last night? I think there is a lot to learn from such games. Even in Baron days. I think they always play well together. 

#4162 manaro90

manaro90

Starter

• 5,093 posts
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant, Magic, Nick Young

Posted March 20, 2017 - 07:17 AM

Following the loss, Russell told reporters in attendance that while he thought his career-high was cool, it wasn’t what he played for. He made it clear his goals aren’t about production or stats, but about wins.

Late night gym sessions like this won’t be the sole factor in allowing him to carry the Lakers to the victories he so desperately craves, but they’re a good start and a good sign of maturity from the young guard.

Cologne, Germany Baby! LAKERS FOR LIFE.  |   Add me Instagram: princealaddin90

#4163 LACAS

LACAS

Off The Bench

• 2,104 posts
  • Name:CAS
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted March 20, 2017 - 07:58 AM

If JC can show he can be efficient and productive playing alongside Russ, we could have something but then again this was our hope at the beginning of the season... 

#4164 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 23,199 posts

Posted March 20, 2017 - 08:14 AM

Following the loss, Russell told reporters in attendance that while he thought his career-high was cool, it wasn’t what he played for. He made it clear his goals aren’t about production or stats, but about wins.
Late night gym sessions like this won’t be the sole factor in allowing him to carry the Lakers to the victories he so desperately craves, but they’re a good start and a good sign of maturity from the young guard.

Zubac says this and he's a winner

Russell says this and he's a liar
  • JGuez, LakeShow1o1 and PuigNotLate like this
Posted Image

#4165 Tensai

Tensai

█▄█▄█ █ █▀█

• 8,141 posts

Posted March 20, 2017 - 08:19 AM

Umm.. because in the past he's said "The world hasn't seen anything yet" after those fluke performances that people have hard time taking him seriously. If his mind changed since then, I don't know. But as I said in early Jan. (when people bashed me for it) people shouldn't overreact to these performances. Russell never lacked the talent to pull these off. It was his inconsistency that prevented him from repeating it. There is a big difference. And that difference usually defines star players like Kyrie.

• manaro90 likes this

fXlFKv8.gif

#4166 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 23,199 posts

Posted March 20, 2017 - 08:33 AM

http://www.silverscr...valiers-twitter

Hate him or not, he is putting in the time and work.

Here's the thing. He's always done this. There have always been reports of him in the gym constantly.

It's been my main problem with the bashing. Criticism and bashing are two different things. Bashing is what mostly happens on here. It's when no matter what he does the negative is the only thing focused on. When he came out of the all star break playing solid basketball it was like it was being waited on for him to have a bad game again

Both Randle and Russell are kind of in this boat. Now I personally like Russell more as a prospect but I think both get placed in this category. Thing is russell hasn't played that poorly overall. He didn't make the jump people had hoped for sure. But my thing has always been this

He reportedly has a strong work ethic. Countless articles this summer about how hard he prepared for this season. And also my big thing is this

If you really know basketball. If you can take off the blinders and watch objectively you'll see that Russell has grown a lot this season.

He's slowly finding his spots. He's slowly finding how to attack the defense. You'd notice the mid range has become more of a consistent attacking point and he's finding out how to use those around him to make up for athletic deficiencies to get to the basket.

He's not as productive as anyone would like. He's just not there yet. But he's figuring things out more and more

I think one things been made clear. His role in the NBA may just not be as a primary ball handler. Or at least a high frequency ball handler

Similar to james harden in a sense that harden got to a point mainly later with the thunder and with the rockets that he could be that efficiently. But early on he benefitted quite a bit from Westbrook and Durant opening things up for him.

Harden in his 3rd year with more minutes started to find his place in offensive basketball. This is where impatience comes in. In hardens 2nd year. Older than Russell. He struggled in similar minutes to Russell. But on this website you'd think harden was somehow different and requires a different time frame.

Russell is fine. Like all of our guys he requires patience. I'd like to see him continue to find his way. I think having less duties with the ball will help. It'll free up his role on offense. Russell just isn't developed so having him be out there as the sole ball handler was putting him in a spot that he maybe wasn't ready for. Unfortunately it's possible he should've been playing with clarkson from the get go because for all clarksons deficiencies he is a ball handler and can penetrate the defense
  • bfc1125roy, Majesty, PuigNotLate and 2 others like this
Posted Image

#4167 LakeShow1o1

LakeShow1o1

Superstar

• 7,066 posts
  • Name:The Black Mamba Will Rise
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted March 20, 2017 - 10:37 AM

The whole Nick Young incident has just put a target on his back ever since.  Russell is rarely seen in a positive light and that initial image of his character and reputation has truly taken a hit.  The media machine is very critical towards anyone whom they feel is vulnerable.  What better than a young 21 year old athlete whom players for one of the most decorated franchises in sports history?

He's still finding his way on a very young and raw basketball team.  Hopefully more performances like these are yet to come and he'll eventually repair his image.  I think it's interesting though that it's primarily the older generation Laker fans (non-millennials) that seem to dislike Russell the most... 

• LACAS likes this

#4168 lakerfan98

lakerfan98

Vice President of Interneting Operations

• 3,357 posts
  • Name:Ryan
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted March 20, 2017 - 12:13 PM

Real talk...there are plenty of people here (myself included) who have criticized Randle's game and argued about his fit.  But if he came back next year with an improved shot I'd gladly eat crow and many others would as well.  My issue is with his skill set and how he fits our offense and other players.  

Even though people won't admit this I believe it's different with Russell.  I think there is a group of fans who simply do not like him regardless of fit or how good or bad he plays.  You can use stats to support just about any argument for or against a player but with Russell it's his personality that makes him divisive.  Disaster may make a few lighthearted jokes about Ingram being the next Wesley Johnson but I don't see anyone actually posting stats comparing the two or comparing Ingram with another previous bust.  Brandon is a quiet, unassuming young man that everyone likes.       

#4169 LACAS

LACAS

Off The Bench

• 2,104 posts

Posted March 20, 2017 - 12:16 PM

Real talk...there are plenty of people here (myself included) who have criticized Randle's game and argued about his fit.  But if he came back next year with an improved shot I'd gladly eat crow and many others would as well.  My issue is with his skill set and how he fits our offense and other players.  

Even though people won't admit this I believe it's different with Russell.  I think there is a group of fans who simply do not like him regardless of fit or how good or bad he plays.  You can use stats to support just about any argument for or against a player but with Russell it's his personality that makes him divisive.  Disaster may make a few lighthearted jokes about Ingram being the next Wesley Johnson but I don't see anyone actually posting stats comparing the two or comparing Ingram with another previous bust.  Brandon is a quiet, unassuming young man that everyone likes.       

I would gladly eat crow if Randle comes back next season with a mid range game, sets hard picks and plays D... I want all the kids to succeed, their success will result in team success.

• PuigNotLate likes this

#4170 lakerfan98

lakerfan98

• 3,357 posts

Posted March 20, 2017 - 12:19 PM

I would gladly eat crow if Randle comes back next season with a mid range game, sets hard picks and plays D... I want all the kids to succeed, their success will result in team success.

I'll stick with just the shooting for now lol.  Baby steps.  

• PuigNotLate and LACAS like this

#4171 LACAS

LACAS

Off The Bench

• 2,104 posts

Posted March 20, 2017 - 12:24 PM

I'll stick with just the shooting for now lol.  Baby steps.  

Honestly, if he comes back w a solid mid range game, I think most would be thrilled! That would be a game changer.

Edited by LACAS, March 20, 2017 - 12:24 PM.

#4172 manaro90

manaro90

Starter

• 5,093 posts
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant, Magic, Nick Young

Posted March 20, 2017 - 12:27 PM

Umm.. because in the past he's said "The world hasn't seen anything yet" after those fluke performances that people have hard time taking him seriously. If his mind changed since then, I don't know. But as I said in early Jan. (when people bashed me for it) people shouldn't overreact to these performances. Russell never lacked the talent to pull these off. It was his inconsistency that prevented him from repeating it. There is a big difference. And that difference usually defines star players like Kyrie.

The whole Nick Young incident has just put a target on his back ever since.  Russell is rarely seen in a positive light and that initial image of his character and reputation has truly taken a hit.  The media machine is very critical towards anyone whom they feel is vulnerable.  What better than a young 21 year old athlete whom players for one of the most decorated franchises in sports history?

He's still finding his way on a very young and raw basketball team.  Hopefully more performances like these are yet to come and he'll eventually repair his image.  I think it's interesting though that it's primarily the older generation Laker fans (non-millennials) that seem to dislike Russell the most... 

this and this.. so good!

Cologne, Germany Baby! LAKERS FOR LIFE.  |   Add me Instagram: princealaddin90

#4173 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• Gameday
  • 54,253 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted March 20, 2017 - 01:01 PM

GT on Russell: He's a PG in the same way that Steph or Lillard is a PG, stylistically speaking. Both of whom spend a good deal of time off of the ball. Way too much time spent on what position he's playing. If he's gonna play better when you tell him he's a SG but give him the exact same responsibilities then by all means, call him a SG. :D
  • LACAS likes this

"Bryant had come to rage against the idea that Howard's clownish disposition could overtake the locker room, the Lakers' culture, and had warned Howard that he would never, ever let it happen." 

#4174 Majesty

Majesty

• Gameday
  • 54,253 posts

Posted March 20, 2017 - 01:05 PM

I'll stick with just the shooting for now lol. Baby steps.

Randle's been setting better picks a lit more consistently since all star break.

Defensively what he needs to work on is attacking closeouts and off ball awareness defensively.

Offensively just keep improving his jumper, its good watching him shoot more threes per game, it means they've been working on it and that's the next step for him in Luke's eyes offensively.
  • LACAS likes this

"Bryant had come to rage against the idea that Howard's clownish disposition could overtake the locker room, the Lakers' culture, and had warned Howard that he would never, ever let it happen." 

#4175 kidpolean

kidpolean

Superstar

• 7,945 posts
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:KB24 or 8

Posted March 20, 2017 - 01:26 PM

Honestly, if he comes back w a solid mid range game, I think most would be thrilled! That would be a game changer.

I think the problem is mentality more than anything. Especially if we get Ball, we will need a real stretch 4. Someone that prefers to shoot 3's. I don't see Randle ever being that player.
  • PuigNotLate and LACAS like this

#4176 lakerfan98

lakerfan98

• 3,357 posts

Posted March 20, 2017 - 01:29 PM

Randle's been setting better picks a lit more consistently since all star break.

Defensively what he needs to work on is attacking closeouts and off ball awareness defensively.

Offensively just keep improving his jumper, its good watching him shoot more threes per game, it means they've been working on it and that's the next step for him in Luke's eyes offensively.

I agree he has to take them in the flow of the offense with confidence.  Can't hesitate; if you miss you miss.  Been shooting 1.4 threes per game since the all star break.  I'd like him to average 2-2.5 attempts a game in the remaining 12 games.  

Edited by lakerfan98, March 20, 2017 - 01:36 PM.

#4177 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 16,424 posts
  • Name:Julius Jordan
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted March 20, 2017 - 06:12 PM

20m
SLAM Magazine‏ @SLAMonline
Gordon Hayward dropped a career-high 38 points in a loss to the Pacers.

Russell has crazy potential

#4178 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 23,199 posts

Posted March 20, 2017 - 11:25 PM

20m
SLAM Magazine‏ @SLAMonline
Gordon Hayward dropped a career-high 38 points in a loss to the Pacers.

Russell has crazy potential

I think he does. I think Russell could be a scorer in this league. A guy who gives you 25ppg. I think his main thing will be focusing on that and then maybe the distributing comes later.

I think at Ohio state he was kinda like F it, I'm the most talented guy here I'm going to score and if someone's open I'll pass it

I think here he felt compelled to be a playmaker and run the offense. I think what he'll benefit from is kinda doing the same thing here and just being a scorer. His potential is there. The way he comes off screens, hits the mid range, hits the 3. I just hope Magic is smart enough to keep him
Posted Image

#4179 Majesty

Majesty

• Gameday
  • 54,253 posts

Posted March 20, 2017 - 11:42 PM

I agree he has to take them in the flow of the offense with confidence.  Can't hesitate; if you miss you miss.  Been shooting 1.4 threes per game since the all star break.  I'd like him to average 2-2.5 attempts a game in the remaining 12 games.  

Yeah and he's been doing a lot of three drills after practice with Luke and B.Shaw and they have three point shootout contests to work on it. 

They've been doing it more consistently since the Phoenix game I believe but were probably doing it before then. 

Since then though, Randle's let it fly from three more often and it's good to see.   Today Russell got in on their game, with the 3 point shooting contest, I think Randle won with the last 2 makes, but it's good to see his confidence growing in that regard. 

Thinking this off-season, Randle primarily is gonna be working on his stamina and the three point shot. 

#4180 kidpolean

kidpolean

Superstar

• 7,945 posts
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:KB24 or 8

Posted March 21, 2017 - 05:41 AM

I think he does. I think Russell could be a scorer in this league. I'm the most talented guy here I'm going to score and if someone's open I'll pass it

Since everybody else has been doing this lately, it's my turn.

I told y'all so! Lol I was like one of the only people that said that Russell was a scorer and not a pass first PG. I also said that he was a 2 and not a 1.

However, he has been better than I expected.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users