#21 PhillyLaker24

PhillyLaker24

Starter

• 5,184 posts
  • Name:Joseph
  • Fan Since:2001
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted November 17, 2015 - 08:10 AM

Summer league: " Russell is a rookie, its only summer league. Wait til he plays in the rrgular season." Dont be too quick to judge.

Regular season: " its too early to tell because this is his rookie season/year."

Lets just admit, he is not a bad player but he will not be the guy that we are expecting him to be. The kid has planted in his head that, he can just come in and be a stud. Now reality has sanked in, that nba is a man league.

You can tell the future? Please do tell if we get a top 3 pick this year.

It is impossible to tell what a player will be in this league after their rookie year, let alone 12 games. I have been vocal that I have not seen the things I want to see from Russell to be excited for him, but at the same time I understand the kid is 19 years old. He has a lot of time to grow and develop and get better. Have I seen flashes of amazing plays and jaw dropping skills? Nope. However, I have seen him do some things I like and I don't think you can say he won't be anything special after 12 games.

People seem to get upset if you make comparisons between Russell and other players that started off slow or not ideal, but the truth is history repeats itself. Curry was an afterthought to Evans his rookie year, but now you have people making statements Curry is as big an impact as Bron Bron. Curry ended up with solid numbers his rookie year but also averaged 36+ mins a game, and everyone knows for a rookie the most important thing is game time.

I am not calling Russell Curry by any means. However, one must look at everything and realize some things. Russell is 19 and will be 20 by years end. People's perceptions have been warped because players have come in at 18 or 19 and took the league by storm, but there have also been players that took some time to develop and come into their own. Curry came in at 21 and while he was always a knock down shooter he didn't become the beast we know him as until around 25. That is 4 solid years of development in the NBA on top of his 3 year college career. It took him a total of 7 seasons against the best competition to become the superstar he is now. Russell has 1.08 seasons of that under his belt, give him some time.

I want to see more from Russell no doubt but I understand he is young. Randle at times has shown great plays and some flashes of what you want to see from a top pf in the league, problem is dude is young and inconsistent. This is still only his 1st season in the league. Some players come out and ball from the start, others take time to develop. At the least those types of statements need to be put on the shelf for a year from now. We can discuss what we like and don't like from their game, but no way in hell can we predict at this point the end spot of their career.

Edited by PhillyLaker24, November 17, 2015 - 08:12 AM.

• AnnoyingCustomer, JGuez and L4K like this

All I want for Christmas is a Laker girl :D

#22 Ventiquattro

Ventiquattro

All-Star

• 6,566 posts

Posted November 17, 2015 - 08:11 AM

Don't know how anyone could possibly know this or think they know this.

Typical internet response about a professional athlete. Pretending you know what's going on in their head.

Don't bother. He's one of those that don't know what they're talking about.

#23 KidRN

KidRN

Superstar

• 8,367 posts
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:KB24 or 8

Posted November 17, 2015 - 09:09 AM

You guys do realize that the entire draft is based on predicting the future right? This is what scouts get paid to do.

I think that you can tell a lot about a player based on year 1. While I don't agree with saying Russell is a bust at this point, I could see why people would say that he is and in some ways it is a fair opinion imo.

#24 PhillyLaker24

PhillyLaker24

Starter

• 5,184 posts
  • Name:Joseph
  • Fan Since:2001
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted November 17, 2015 - 09:26 AM

You guys do realize that the entire draft is based on predicting the future right? This is what scouts get paid to do.

I think that you can tell a lot about a player based on year 1. While I don't agree with saying Russell is a bust at this point, I could see why people would say that he is and in some ways it is a fair opinion imo.

Any scout that tells you a player will come in day one and tear things up is either referring to a generational talent like a Lebron, or is talking out of their ass. In the case of generational talents everyone who follows the sport will tell you day one they are gonna ball, but there are players expected to do this and have been huge whiffs, see Adam Morrison, Kwame Brown, or Micheal Beasley.

Scouts are not some prescient basketball guru that knows things no one else can comprehend. Hell how many draft sites do you go to days before the draft and they have basically the 1-10 order almost exactly how the draft goes? Scouts watch players play, have all this tape, and even get to know the player unlike the general public. However, have you ever seen some player not projected to go top 5 get drafted number one overall and then actually ball out? No, the only time that happens is in cases like Anthony Bennet where they draft a player that ends up sucking. You can never predict where a player's career will end up on draft night because the x factor is that players mindset, work ethic, and true intentions. These are things that only the player truly knows and lets not forget about injuries as well.

Scots impress me when they draft a guy in the last quarter of the draft and they end up being good ball players. Again though this is more based off luck than anything, plenty of players show great promise in college but how they pan out is completely a crap shoot.

Edited by PhillyLaker24, November 17, 2015 - 09:32 AM.

• JGuez likes this

All I want for Christmas is a Laker girl :D

#25 UKUGA

UKUGA

Superstar

• 7,562 posts
  • Name:UKUGA
  • Fan Since:1981
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted November 17, 2015 - 10:15 AM

You should check out Chauncey Billups' stats before Pitino dumped him on the Raptors after 51 games in 1998. 

Don't feed the trolls. 

#26 manaro90

manaro90

Starter

• 5,253 posts
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted November 17, 2015 - 10:49 AM

Way too early to project their careers in any meaningful way.

KD was shooting 30 something percent for quite a while. James Harden was terrible his rookie year. Tyreke Evans had an awesome rookie year and fell off hard. Steve Nash couldn't get 25 mins a night his second year, and Kobe didn't come into his own till his third year.

There are players that are great from the start, but I think it's really rare. I think if you go through lists of rookies you are going to see far more non factors in their rookie years than instant stars.I also think it's really rare for players to not improve at all. Julius' problems are fixable. Russell will look better with more minutes and when he gains a little muscle and isn't being held back by the worst coach in the league. Our advances numbers are already far better with both of them on the floor, but they don't get the minutes so....

It's not what anyone wants to hear, but it's likely it will be a few years before we know what kind of players Julius or Russell can be. 

i know.. i hate to wait and haie this time..i want success for the lakers in every way..

Being an all-star simply depends on how weak or strong your position currently is in the nba. There really is no way to tell if they could be all-stars at this point. However, if you said that they won't be "superstars" I'd agree. There is a huge talent difference among players that play in the all star game every year, so measuring a player by whether or not they can make an all star team doesn't really measure their talent level.

Russell and KD were the original example...those guys are superstars.

true

Cologne, Germany Baby! LAKERS FOR LIFE.  |   Add me Instagram: princealaddin90

#27 manaro90

manaro90

Starter

• 5,253 posts
  • Fan Since:2000

Posted November 17, 2015 - 10:50 AM

Don't bother. He's one of those that don't know what they're talking about.

ah so this is very interesting

i dont know what im talking bout? dude im a laker fan for 15 straight years, i began to watch nba with 9 years old

you dont know [expletive] man...

Cologne, Germany Baby! LAKERS FOR LIFE.  |   Add me Instagram: princealaddin90

#28 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Hall Of Fame

• 8,669 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted November 17, 2015 - 10:51 AM

IT IS WHAT IT IS..

They just dont look like they will dominate the league in 3-4 years..

I mean look at KD or Westbrook in Seattle or OKC 2007,2008.. you could see flashes of chemistry and that those guys will someday dominate the NBA!

I dont see this in Russells game right now noa in Juilus Randle..in fact Randle looks so invisible! I just dont know what to say ...

This just sucks...

10 games in? Dont you think you're being a bit hasty in your judgement of these two youngsters.

#29 KidRN

KidRN

Superstar

• 8,367 posts

Posted November 17, 2015 - 11:08 AM

Any scout that tells you a player will come in day one and tear things up is either referring to a generational talent like a Lebron, or is talking out of their ass. In the case of generational talents everyone who follows the sport will tell you day one they are gonna ball, but there are players expected to do this and have been huge whiffs, see Adam Morrison, Kwame Brown, or Micheal Beasley.

Scouts are not some prescient basketball guru that knows things no one else can comprehend. Hell how many draft sites do you go to days before the draft and they have basically the 1-10 order almost exactly how the draft goes? Scouts watch players play, have all this tape, and even get to know the player unlike the general public. However, have you ever seen some player not projected to go top 5 get drafted number one overall and then actually ball out? No, the only time that happens is in cases like Anthony Bennet where they draft a player that ends up sucking. You can never predict where a player's career will end up on draft night because the x factor is that players mindset, work ethic, and true intentions. These are things that only the player truly knows and lets not forget about injuries as well.

Scots impress me when they draft a guy in the last quarter of the draft and they end up being good ball players. Again though this is more based off luck than anything, plenty of players show great promise in college but how they pan out is completely a crap shoot.

they can't predict it perfectly but they look at all aspects of a players game and predict their ceiling to the best of their ability which is essentially what people on here get bashed for.

Russell has been beyond mediocre. It's not about stats, it's about how you play the game. If I showed you a random player and he played similarly to Russell, I bet you wouldn't say he has all star potential. The only reason people talk so highly of him is because the potential he displayed in college which doesn't always translate to the NBA.

This is why I find it to be a fair opinion. Because those calling him a bust are looking at the current NBA player that is D'angelo Russell. Russell, as of right now, doesn't look like he will be much of anything. Everyone defending him is either blind or going off of potential based on his college days.

There is nothing wrong with going off of potential of his college days but it's hypocritical to say Russell will develop into a great player based off of college games but than bash people for saying he's a bust based off of NBA games. Both groups are predicting the future just in opposite ways.

I prefer to wait and see...but I'm not oblivious to the fact that there is a huge possibility that Russell is the bust of the draft based on not only his play but his mentality.

Edited by kidpolean, November 17, 2015 - 11:11 AM.

#30 androsays

androsays

representing infinity with presidencies

• 5,818 posts
  • Name:andro
  • Fan Since:90s
  • Fav. Laker:kobe

Posted November 17, 2015 - 11:17 AM

The sky is falling

2div

#31 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 16,598 posts
  • Name:Julius Jordan
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted November 17, 2015 - 11:38 AM

Tyreke is solid if he was MORE ready I the first month than Curry and Harden. So was Jennings.

That's the point.

#32 Disaster in Paradise

Disaster in Paradise

Do you wanna tickle my big ol' long toes?

• 11,549 posts

Posted November 17, 2015 - 12:03 PM

I told you so.

I like to dip my feet in toilet water & smell them.

#33 KidRN

KidRN

Superstar

• 8,367 posts

Posted November 17, 2015 - 12:10 PM

Tyreke is solid if he was MORE ready I the first month than Curry and Harden. So was Jennings.
That's the point.

that point is completely irrelevant. I could name off a bunch of bust as well that sucked their first year and didn't improve very much throughout their careers...does that mean Russell is a bust as well?

This kind of thinking can go both ways.

#34 Ventiquattro

Ventiquattro

All-Star

• 6,566 posts

Posted November 17, 2015 - 12:10 PM

ah so this is very interesting
i dont know what im talking bout? dude im a laker fan for 15 straight years, i began to watch nba with 9 years old
you dont know [expletive] man...

Lol. My post wasn't directed at you.

15 "straight" years ? Good for you.
  • AnnoyingCustomer likes this

#35 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 16,598 posts
  • Name:Julius Jordan
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted November 17, 2015 - 12:36 PM

that point is completely irrelevant. I could name off a bunch of bust as well that sucked their first year and didn't improve very much throughout their careers...does that mean Russell is a bust as well?

This kind of thinking can go both ways.

Ummm. Huh ?

Russell was a consensus top 3. There are tons of busts like Bennett who just came from no where. Or Thabeet or was not built for the league. WesleyJohnson who went way too high.

But Russell is simply missing make able shots and still learning how to play PG

#36 romlakers

romlakers

Rookie

• 1,010 posts
  • Name:Romain
  • Fan Since:98

Posted November 17, 2015 - 12:38 PM

they can't predict it perfectly but they look at all aspects of a players game and predict their ceiling to the best of their ability which is essentially what people on here get bashed for.

Russell has been beyond mediocre. It's not about stats, it's about how you play the game. If I showed you a random player and he played similarly to Russell, I bet you wouldn't say he has all star potential. The only reason people talk so highly of him is because the potential he displayed in college which doesn't always translate to the NBA.

This is why I find it to be a fair opinion. Because those calling him a bust are looking at the current NBA player that is D'angelo Russell. Russell, as of right now, doesn't look like he will be much of anything. Everyone defending him is either blind or going off of potential based on his college days.

There is nothing wrong with going off of potential of his college days but it's hypocritical to say Russell will develop into a great player based off of college games but than bash people for saying he's a bust based off of NBA games. Both groups are predicting the future just in opposite ways.

I prefer to wait and see...but I'm not oblivious to the fact that there is a huge possibility that Russell is the bust of the draft based on not only his play but his mentality.

So you know Russell's mentality, interesting. Basing on games to establish that point is beyond ridiculous. And you bash people who predict the future but you're exactly doing the same in your last sentence. Contradiction at its best.

#37 Чад

Чад

Kings

• 4,683 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted November 17, 2015 - 01:20 PM

dude stop with the stupid comparisons of players that have absolutely nothing to do with Russell or anybody else. It's a different situation. Not everything happens the same way.

If you want to defend Russell than do so without bringing up other players in every post.

Russell isn't Kobe, Nash, Harden, or Curry. Hell Nash, Curry, and Kobe type of players may not be seen again for an extremely long time.

Your comparisons are silly. Every GM in the NBA would be jumping with joy if they drafted anybody even close to Iverson or Marbury.

And why the hell do we keep talking about Tyreke as if he is a scrub? Dude would easily be the best player on the Lakers right now. Dude is averaging 16 5 5 for his career. That's solid

People used Tyreke as a diss toward Mudiay. It's crazy. Dude is still putting up nice stats, and people talk about him like he is just a trash player. I'm pretty sure that the Pelicans are missing his 16/6/5. 

• KidRN likes this

¡Hala Madrid! Neymar Rules!  

#38 MAMBA24ILL

MAMBA24ILL

But I can’t love you obsessively for much longer.

• 10,257 posts
  • Fan Since:80's
  • Fav. Laker:MAMBA, MAGIC, NICK VAN EXEL

Posted November 17, 2015 - 01:26 PM

I'm good with Randle, you can see the guys still raw.
It's Russell i'm worried about. I don't see much strengths in the kid aside from hitting the occasional open shot. I don't see all them wonderful passes he was making in the preseason, doesn't really run the team, hardly takes it to the hole, & can't play a lick of defense. Dam sure nothing close to the "best player in the draft" as he labeled himself.
  • BasketballIQ likes this

gifninja-1.gif

#39 KidRN

KidRN

Superstar

• 8,367 posts

Posted November 17, 2015 - 01:30 PM

So you know Russell's mentality, interesting. Basing on games to establish that point is beyond ridiculous. And you bash people who predict the future but you're exactly doing the same in your last sentence. Contradiction at its best.

lol...when did I bash people who predict the future? Dude I was defending people that people bash for "predicting the future." Damn at least read the post before you decide to defend Russell at all cost!

Russell is visibly lazy on the court. Defend it all you want but that comes with a certain mentality. I'm not saying I know the guy personally and can't tell you what he is gonna eat for dinner tonite but as of right now it is pretty obvious that his head isn't completely in the game. And that is a mentality that you don't want from a rookie or any other player in the NBA.

BTW reading comprehension at its best...right back at you bro

Edited by kidpolean, November 17, 2015 - 01:34 PM.

#40 RobBlake

RobBlake

Starter

• 4,441 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, Fisher, Magic

Posted November 17, 2015 - 01:41 PM

i don't expect anyone at any job to be great right out the gate.. let alone such a stressful job such as starting.. let alone playing in the NBA. I give them three years. At 19.. i would not be able to handle such a professional job myself.. esp. putting in the mature work load off the court these guys need to do.. i never had the incentive of such a lucrative life either or the natural talent to do it.

Edited by RobBlake, November 17, 2015 - 01:42 PM.

ap1.png

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (3)