Photo

Minnesota Timbrerwolves @ Los Angeles Lakers Wednesday 10/28/15

• Please log in to reply
858 replies to this topic

#841 Disaster in Paradise

Disaster in Paradise

Do you wanna tickle my big ol' long toes?

• 11,556 posts

Posted October 29, 2015 - 05:09 AM

I'm still trying to see the silver lining. What was the point of drafting Russell if we weren't going to use him properly. Is Mitch watching us and thinking this is ok. What did we draft Russell for to pass and sit in the corner?

He's uncoachable. Cut him.

I like to dip my feet in toilet water & smell them.

#842 Tensai

Tensai

Superstar

• 8,282 posts

Posted October 29, 2015 - 06:33 AM

Everything will be solved when we have a proper coach in place to play to our team's strengths. That's the problem with this front office. They are stubborn af to admit to their mistakes before it is too late to reverse the said effects. I lost the count.

fXlFKv8.gif

#843 MaceWindu

MaceWindu

Starter

• 4,903 posts
  • Name:Ben
  • Fan Since:Hector was a pup
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted October 29, 2015 - 06:41 AM

what an exciting loss!!!!

#844 Clutch Factor

Clutch Factor

Hall Of Fame

• 9,794 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted October 29, 2015 - 08:15 AM

On the bright side, Russell, Randle, and Huertas had career highs in every category...

#845 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• Gameday
  • 54,335 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted October 29, 2015 - 08:32 AM

On the bright side, Russell, Randle, and Huertas had career highs in every category...

was nice to see Randle get 15/10 in his first real NBA action in a year. 

"Bryant had come to rage against the idea that Howard's clownish disposition could overtake the locker room, the Lakers' culture, and had warned Howard that he would never, ever let it happen." 

#846 Clutch Factor

Clutch Factor

Hall Of Fame

• 9,794 posts

Posted October 29, 2015 - 09:48 AM

15/11 -- I actually loved what I saw from Randle. If he can develop a mid-range game...watch out. 

#847 MaceWindu

MaceWindu

Starter

• 4,903 posts
  • Name:Ben
  • Fan Since:Hector was a pup
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted October 29, 2015 - 12:41 PM

Fantastic. I hope he averages a double double for the year.

#848 Michaelyumm

Michaelyumm

Quick & Easy

• 11,417 posts
  • Fan Since:93
  • Fav. Laker:Nick Van Exel

Posted October 29, 2015 - 12:46 PM

sit Anthony Brown and activate MWP!

#849 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 13,358 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted October 29, 2015 - 02:35 PM

Ironically, it was Russell running with the bench unit (instead of Huertas) which lost us the lead. 

With NY and LW?  He need to be in there WITH Huertas...not 2 chuckers...

Yep.    And Byron not putting Huertas back in when it started happening. 

You play the rook at the off-ball passing 2 and give the point guard role to Clarkson because you feel he's more ready to run that role for the first game of the season considering where Russell is at. 

But THEN you bench Huertas and put Russell IN the role you denied him initially because you felt he wasn't ready for all the responsibilities yet.   

THAT was Byron's biggest mistake tonight. 

"We have a bench unit that extended our lead to 15.. let's never use that exact lineup again." 

THAT is what screwed us, because it followed a momentum shift, then young mistakes because of the momentum shift.  

The coach has to be consistent too, because the youth is inconsistent. When they get going you run in that direction that's getting it to them.  

Once you divert from that and knock them off that path it gets reaaaaally inconsistent after that, almost to the point of costing you a game, and guess what..

Nick and Lou are redundant.  Byron is playing Lou at combo guard...why?  He's a legit 2.  Huertas is a true PG.  If he wants to play Lou at combo, play him with CLARKSON, another combo guard in the starting lineup...Lou would also fit better in that Princeton crap...I don't want Lou trying to facilitate more than kick out passes if he's doubled.

The lineup made no sense...

tenor.gif

#850 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 13,358 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted October 29, 2015 - 02:39 PM

I know it's only one game & I'm English so my knowledge of the NBA is limited, but surely we have enough guards in Clarkson, Williams, Huertas & Kobe to run the offense so why didn't they get Okafor instead of Russell?? Him & Hibbert rotating would surely be better than having to give minutes to trash like Kelly & Bass & having to waste a roster spot on Sacre?????

Can't believe I got up at 2.30am to watch it live & we blew a massive lead to lose this one. We were coasting until we went cold in the 4th & started fouling on every play.

Always followed the game from England but with technology I can now watch every game so not sure if it's just me but is there no physical contact allowed in the game nowadays?? Every time they drove to the hoop in the 3rd & 4th they got a foul for seemingly next to nothing. It was virtually a non contact game & was so stop start it got a little boring - no flow to the game at all although maybe we just got poor officials for that game??

Oh boy...this should be fun to watch!  I hope you have thick skin...

tenor.gif

#851 Chick Stern

Chick Stern

Rookie

• 824 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Big 4: West/Kareem/Magic/Kobe

Posted October 29, 2015 - 02:46 PM

Everything will be solved when we have a proper coach in place to play to our team's strengths. That's the problem with this front office. They are stubborn af to admit to their mistakes before it is too late to reverse the said effects. I lost the count.

please elaborate.

a) what problems do you have with Scott?

b) what coach should they have hired?

"You can't get much done in life if you only work on the days when you feel good."

--Jerry West

#852 Game

Game

Your Daddy

• 12,767 posts
  • Fan Since:Late '80s

Posted October 29, 2015 - 03:00 PM

forgot to mention that i walked right by magic johnson last night as i was heading to my seats...i said "magic!" but naturally he just kept walking as not to get mobbed

• JEN likes this

Posted Image

#853 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 7,537 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted October 29, 2015 - 04:29 PM

was nice to see Randle get 15/10 in his first real NBA action in a year. 

Exactly.

If folks could look past the score, we have Randle and Clarkson who both look like really huge difference makers. Lou Williams is going to be solid and dependable. 

But if we're going small ball when Roy is out, Byron better reevaluate his lineup choices. And be quicker to plug the dike

Edited by kball, October 29, 2015 - 04:31 PM.

Praying for  1. Some Cohesion (Ill fitting parts with young bucks, new guys, and those playing for next contracts may muck things up all season) 2. Better Coaching, No More Tanking (Last season was more of the latter but not sure how much of the former we can count on. Walton with something to prove this season as much as any Laker player) 3. Rookie Watch (Hoping Lonzo outshines his daddy (ROTY??), and Kuzma finds minutes and makes a push for all rook 2nd team)

READY FOR SEASON!!!

#854 M.X.M.

M.X.M.

@WeCarpeDiem

• 3,982 posts
  • Name:Mehran
  • Fan Since:Early 2000s
  • Fav. Laker:Retired #

Posted October 29, 2015 - 04:59 PM

I missed the game however i saw the highlights. 

What was the problem? Defense, kobe shooting? T-wolves hot streak?

Tell me the good, the bad, and the ugly. 

Magesty, im lookin at you. lol

IG: @WeCarpeDiem 

Twitter: @WeCarpeDiem

#855 M.X.M.

M.X.M.

@WeCarpeDiem

• 3,982 posts
  • Name:Mehran
  • Fan Since:Early 2000s
  • Fav. Laker:Retired #

Posted October 29, 2015 - 05:02 PM

Loved seeing this response from Randle 

KG tested him there, I think he passed. 

This is what Randle is all about. Doesnt fear nobody. Love it. 

IG: @WeCarpeDiem 

Twitter: @WeCarpeDiem

#856 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Hall Of Fame

• 8,982 posts
  • Name:Tyler
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The mamba

Posted October 29, 2015 - 07:55 PM

The bench unit that built us the lead wasn't the one Byron had in that GOT us the lead.  That was the problem

The lead was lost when he was playing Russell with the bench instead of Huertas whom was the reason the bench got cohesive and extended the lead. 

Lineup management. Good one coach!

This was bound to happen with Bass at the 5 and Kelly at the 4. There is no interior defense and the rebounding is bad. Bass isn't a 5, dont play him there.

it had little to do with Russell and more to the fact that that this was bound to happen with that terrible front court lineup.

And THEN when the young guys came in and momentum wasn't their way they started making mistakes and getting turnovers. 

Then when Huertas was FINALLY put back in the game, the wheels were already coming off and the momentum was screwed. 

Wrong. Young, Williams, Kelly, and Bass were all in up to where the Timberwolves tied it up. Byron Scott let the momentum go their way without doing anything. It wasn't the young guys.

Huertas was put in at the beginning of the 4th and didnt do anything. Lost the lead more and more. 

Giving away the momentum and the lead, Good job coach!

Then Kobe had to come in and the ball went straight to him with iso to little success. 

THEN Clarkson and Randle started to finally get going again.  

But this lead was lost when Byron for no particular reason decided to divert from the plan and change the bench lineups and then leave it in when it proved unsuccessful and just going back with what he was running that built us the lead in the first place. 

THAT coaching decision(s) + the young guys making mental mistakes in the fact of momentum swings are what screwed us over in the end. 

Kobe went iso. You mean half of our offense sets. This offense is boo boo. Still doesnt change the fact Kobe already had 9 3pt attempts before the  bench came in and lost the lead. Thats waaaaay too many

The biggest reasons we lost is Kobe with 13 3pt attempts, this iso offense that we are running and his poor lineups and lack of substitutions. Kelly and Bass is a bad front court.

Huertas(russell)/Williams/Young/Kelly/Bass

So much defense in that lineup.

Edited by LakeShow805, October 29, 2015 - 07:59 PM.

"Friends come and go but banners hang forever."  - Kobe Bryant

#857 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Hall Of Fame

• 8,982 posts
  • Name:Tyler
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The mamba

Posted October 29, 2015 - 08:01 PM

We didn't lose because we're a young team (it's going to happen, but that wasn't the case tonight). Heck, Clarkson was the one hitting the two big field goals to keep us in his game, and drew some fouls for a pair of free throws (missed one though).

From that point on, it was still a messy game. Randle made a free throw and a driving layup later down. Hibbert's length protected the paint. 

Didn't like Kobe's shot selection, but he made a big assist to Williams to bring us within one. 

We lost because of Byron Scott's lack of adjustments, lack of proper utilization of players, and the inability to comprehend that this isn't a preseason game where you experiment like there's no tomorrow.

this this and this

"Friends come and go but banners hang forever."  - Kobe Bryant

#858 Disaster in Paradise

Disaster in Paradise

Do you wanna tickle my big ol' long toes?

• 11,556 posts

Posted October 29, 2015 - 10:17 PM

forgot to mention that i walked right by magic johnson last night as i was heading to my seats...i said "magic!" but naturally he just kept walking as not to get mobbed

Poor Dodgers. 

I like to dip my feet in toilet water & smell them.

#859 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• Gameday
  • 54,335 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted October 30, 2015 - 04:05 AM

With NY and LW?  He need to be in there WITH Huertas...not 2 chuckers...

Nick and Lou are redundant.  Byron is playing Lou at combo guard...why?  He's a legit 2.  Huertas is a true PG.  If he wants to play Lou at combo, play him with CLARKSON, another combo guard in the starting lineup...Lou would also fit better in that Princeton crap...I don't want Lou trying to facilitate more than kick out passes if he's doubled.

The lineup made no sense...

It did not.  

Now Huertas, Lou and Young? Makes perfect sense cause you have someone running the table that can make one of them wide open, and Nick is efficient as a spot up shooter, and Lou can always be counted on to score, particularly if he's wide open. 

Huertas is the perfect point guard to set the table for both of them.  

Not running that lineup again, or waiting so long to do it was a dumb decision.  Particularly as it was that lineup that pushed out the lead in the first place. 

Nick was 5-8 from the field and had 14 points and was killing it as a spot up shooter. 

Never utilized much in the 2nd half.. and why? ...  

It's like Byron essentially ran both lineups in terms of substitutions EXACTLY as he is supposed to in the 1st half. And then decided in the 2nd half he'd go into pre-season mode and experiment. 

Now's not the time.  

When he ran Clarkson, Williams and Kobe to close the game it became redundant to an extent, though Lou's three got us back in the game, some better lineup changes would have prevented all that from needing to happen. 

HECK.. Kobe wouldn't have had to play the 4th if Byron had managed the lineups better.    

Despite this we scored 35 points in the 3rd quarter... 

The 4th is where it all fell apart and the 4th is where some changes should have been made back to the status quo we SAW worked earlier.   But no... we had to wait till the lead was cut down to 5 before he went 'maybe I should do this.'   

BUT instead of changing up the lineup as he should have, what does he do, he takes Kobe off the bench first to go out and save them.   Two botched iso "Kobe save us!" plays later, Clarkson and Randle FINALLY get the hint that they can take over this game and start going for it.   

But we need to get to these things sooner.  The team is talented enough right now to not need to rely on Kobe to save them as often.   

I don't mind the two wide open threes that Clarkson got him last night, I can live with that.  

What I can't is the lineup situation that calls for Kobe to be called off the bench early to 'save' us when the entire thing could have been avoided with a lineup we KNEW from earlier had worked to perfection. 

TODAY... Kobe seems to have corrected Byron's plans a bit.  

Byron yesterday : I think I'm gonna play Russell at the 2 to alleviate responsibilities. 

Byron today after locked in a room with Kobe and Mitch:  Russell's gonna be our point guard going forward. 

The failure to communicate was fixed :P 

I just hope we benefit from this vs Sacramento tonight.   Because it doesn't get easier, Rondo is going to be taking it to Russell all night.  

Edited by Majesty, October 30, 2015 - 04:12 AM.

"Bryant had come to rage against the idea that Howard's clownish disposition could overtake the locker room, the Lakers' culture, and had warned Howard that he would never, ever let it happen." 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users