#301 romlakers

romlakers

Rookie

• 1,010 posts
  • Name:Romain
  • Fan Since:98
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted December 28, 2015 - 06:14 PM

Ok here is something i don't get. We have JC and we draft Russell ( while we could have drafted bigs, albeit i'm glad we got D'Lo). So why the [expletive] did we sign a scrub and no stop shooter like Lou, who except shooting nonsense baskets and getting to the FT line does nothing else, except taking minutes for our two young guys. We are doing everything to ensure that our rookies don't develop the right way. Another stupid decision.

#302 Clutch Factor

Clutch Factor

Hall Of Fame

• 9,794 posts

Posted December 28, 2015 - 06:40 PM

To be honest, Lou was a decent signing given the state we were and continue to be in. Reigning 6th man of the year and had a record of being more consistent (due to driving to the rim and constantly being able to draw calls). 

No single player on our roster has been able to find consistency in Byron's system. And when they did, Byron would shuffle random lineups and immediately relinquish any continuity. 

#303 Mumford

Mumford

Rookie

• 293 posts

Posted December 28, 2015 - 08:19 PM

Ok here is something i don't get. We have JC and we draft Russell ( while we could have drafted bigs, albeit i'm glad we got D'Lo). So why the [expletive] did we sign a scrub and no stop shooter like Lou, who except shooting nonsense baskets and getting to the FT line does nothing else, except taking minutes for our two young guys. We are doing everything to ensure that our rookies don't develop the right way. Another stupid decision.

Kupchak realized that due to his idiotic job in free agency we had no reliable SF in the roster, so he just announced that Kobe would be moved to SF while Clarkson/Russell should be our starting backcourt "for the next ten years". In that context, signing a legitimate combo guard who had been the 6th man of the year, in order to bringing him off the bench, made a lot of sense: given that Clarkson and Russell would share many minutes on court, we were going to need a reliable shooter to give them rest alternately.

Problems come when our stupid coach was totally unable to turn that Russell/Clarkson couple into a functional backcourt. Of course, a lot of it had to do with Scott's foolish tolerance toward Kobe's selfish game during the first month, which demolished the chemistry of the team and the confidence of D'Angelo. At some point (I think that this was after the game in Detroit, where our starting lineup was destroyed and Russell had a kind of shy game) Scott made the conservative choice removing the rookie and starting a more reliable and veteran scorer (even though at that point Russell had better %s than Lou, but Williams had shown a greater ease getting to the FT line), just to start and ending games with more scoring options, not because Williams was playing better for the offense in any sense.

So, at this point, I can only consider 2 options about what the hell is going on in this franchise:

1-If Kupchak still believes in his statement about our "backcourt for the next 10 years", he and Buss should force Scott to starting Russell after new year. If Scott doesn't accept the order, it should be fired immediately.

2-If Kupchack doesn't believe anymore in Russell, or Clarkson, or the possibility of playing both in the backourt, he also should force Scott to giving them big minutes in order to increase their value for a possible move in February.

In either case, the decision must be the same: move D'Angelo back to the [expletive]ing starting lineup.

Edited by Mumford, December 28, 2015 - 08:22 PM.

#304 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Legend

• 10,982 posts
  • Fan Since:Since 1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted December 28, 2015 - 08:25 PM

He is shooting 30 something % while starting. Lou getting that development in.

#305 marbleman

marbleman

Rookie

• 66 posts
  • Name:Walter Ordjonikidze
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted February 11, 2016 - 12:11 PM

Lou is a valuable reserve player for our team and he plays consistently every night. He is under contract for the next season for $ 7.0 mil.

#306 lakerfan98

lakerfan98

Vice President of Interneting Operations

• 3,430 posts
  • Name:Ryan
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted March 10, 2016 - 07:22 PM

I checked LG a few times while this site was down and it was interesting to see the different opinions over there.  For one it seemed like most posters there really do not like Lou Williams.  Chucker who kills ball movement, game too iso heavy, didn't fit with Toronto's roster and doesn't fit here, etc.    

#307 M.X.M.

M.X.M.

@WeCarpeDiem

• 3,982 posts
  • Name:Mehran
  • Fan Since:Early 2000s
  • Fav. Laker:Retired #

Posted March 15, 2016 - 05:01 AM

he played good after his injury..

still dont want him to be here next year nor nick young. 

IG: @WeCarpeDiem 

Twitter: @WeCarpeDiem

#308 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Legend

• 10,982 posts
  • Fan Since:Since 1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted March 15, 2016 - 05:49 AM

This post may sound two faced, but I have no problem with Lou playing here next season, I just care for him holding the ball so long to do the same dribble, drift left, draw foul and free throw.

I don't want both him and NY here together next year. Too many players that share the same position, but it will all be good (at least I hope so) next season

#309 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Sixth Man

• 3,682 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Dennis Rodman

Posted March 15, 2016 - 08:10 AM

This post may sound two faced, but I have no problem with Lou playing here next season, I just care for him holding the ball so long to do the same dribble, drift left, draw foul and free throw.

I don't want both him and NY here together next year. Too many players that share the same position, but it will all be good (at least I hope so) next season

Asking that Lou not hold the ball, mindlessly dribble and then often jack up a low percentage shot is like asking him not to breathe.  He is what he is.  It was an ok signing by Mitch, but he is flotsam and jetsam as far as I am concerned, once the young guys develop enough to take his minutes.  

#310 lakerfan98

lakerfan98

• 3,430 posts

Posted March 15, 2016 - 10:58 AM

Yea he's a good bench scorer but he has his flaws like any other role player.  His contract is very reasonable it just feels like he'd make more sense on a contender.  Teams like the Clippers if they didn't have Crawford or Dallas or Chicago as the 3rd guard.  To me it just feels like he doesn't really fit in with our youth movement.  Would have loved if we could have flipped him, Bass, and our second round pick for Oubre Jr. 

• LakerGeezer likes this

#311 Clutch Factor

Clutch Factor

Hall Of Fame

• 9,794 posts

Posted March 15, 2016 - 11:51 AM

Lou's a solid scorer off the bench -- it's just that Byron relies on him too much as he prefers vets. 

Even if his shot is off, his ability to draw fouls is still evident. Getting the opposing players/team in foul trouble is always a positive. He also drives it in, so he isn't uni-dimensional like some of the so-called "shot-chuckers." 

Bigger problem is Nick Young. Not only is he struggling on offense, he doesn't give you anything defensively. Not to mention his injury concerns. 

• K-Kris and LakerGeezer like this

#312 lakerfan98

lakerfan98

• 3,430 posts

Posted March 15, 2016 - 12:10 PM

Last year he was injured and at the beginning on this year I still thought Nick Young could contribute if we had a different coach / system.  Now I'm not so sure.  I think his game has just fallen off a cliff.  It happens faster for some players; he turns 31 this summer.  If a player like Young can't hit open shots he doesn't have any value.  It sounds harsh but at this point his contract is just dead money.  When a new CBA is agreed to in 2017 i can see us amnestying the last year of his deal like we did with Metta.  If we wanted to get rid of him before that it would probably cost us a second rounder or two in a salary dump ala Chris Anderson.      

#313 Clutch Factor

Clutch Factor

Hall Of Fame

• 9,794 posts

Posted March 15, 2016 - 12:19 PM

Yeah, no one's taking Nick Young from us -- especially not now. 

Much rather Anthony Brown develop into a solid 3's/D off the bench with Lou at SG, Nance's energy at the 4, and Black at the 5 who can finish the P&R. We can keep Huertas or sign a PG for the bench. 

PG/Lou/Brown/Nance/Black is a solid, energetic bench with tradeable assets. We'll also have a 2nd round pick to add to that. 

#314 lakerfan98

lakerfan98

• 3,430 posts

Posted March 15, 2016 - 01:27 PM

Wouldn't mind keeping Huertas as the 3rd PG but we should try to improve our backup PG spot in free agency.  Augustin, Bayless, Vasquez, Ish Smith, maybe gamble on Jennings who will be about 2 years removed from injury.  

#315 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Sixth Man

• 3,682 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Dennis Rodman

Posted March 15, 2016 - 02:01 PM

Williams was an ok signing, if viewed in a vacuum.  But we already Had Young and his crappy contract.  Why sign Williams when Young essentially plays the same role (just alot worse at it)?

• FranklinPeanuts likes this

#316 Busty Bluth

Busty Bluth

--Hey Brother!--

• 27,541 posts
  • Name:Byron "Buster AKA Busty" Bluth

Posted March 15, 2016 - 05:21 PM

Louis sassle should be traded is the price is right.

#317 lakerfan98

lakerfan98

• 3,430 posts

Posted May 22, 2016 - 09:20 AM

"Casey has not directly said it, but has hinted that one of the problems with Toronto’s rotation last year was that Sixth Man of the Year Lou Williams did a great job scoring, but was so lax on defense that it dragged down the whole team.Biyombo has changed the Toronto reserve corps defensively on the interior; Joseph has done so on the perimeter." 
– via Sporting News

#318 DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

DaSmoothOperator

• 2,792 posts
  • Fan Since:1965
  • Fav. Laker:Jerry West

Posted October 14, 2016 - 12:49 PM

Lou is not a starter.His best has been coming into the game for a change of pace, 6th man of the year is no joke, keep him there. Don't reinvent the wheel!! JC should start! 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users