• Please log in to reply
617 replies to this topic

#81 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 26,320 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted July 04, 2015 - 04:14 PM

So we are GIVING assets to rent someone for one year in a meaningless season? Am I missing something here? Wtf

We might be giving up a 2nd rounder. Right now all that is guaranteed is some foreign player no one has heard of. Honestly don't know what else you would wants. We preserve cap for next season while drastically increasing our defense. This is no brainier move. If a 2nd rounder is really that important to you I just don't know what to say.

• Ventiquattro and PuigNotLate like this

#82 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 26,320 posts

Posted July 04, 2015 - 04:16 PM

It's a 2nd round pick for a guy who will actually play for us and plug in a roster hole (even if it's only temporary). What's not to like about this deal? It's just fine. 

Because some people here think we actually still have options. We do not and this is by far the best move the lakers could make right now. I can't believe people are upset about possibly losing a 2nd rounder. In the past decade the only player I know of that we have actually had pan out from the 2nd round is Clarkson. Everyone else has been bottom tier players.

#83 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• Gameday
  • 54,335 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted July 04, 2015 - 04:20 PM

A 2nd rounder and Ater Majok for Roy Hibbert

yet some of ya'll still wanna be negative? 

• UKUGA, bigfetz, PuigNotLate and 1 other like this

"Bryant had come to rage against the idea that Howard's clownish disposition could overtake the locker room, the Lakers' culture, and had warned Howard that he would never, ever let it happen." 

#84 L4K

L4K

Off The Bench

• 1,576 posts
  • Name:Jason
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted July 04, 2015 - 04:21 PM

To get Hibbert for essentially nothing, I can't really complain about that. He gives us a defensive presence around the rim that we've been sorely lacking the last few seasons and he slots in nicely alongside Randle and won't stunt his development because they play different positions.

I'd think that with Russell/Clarkson/Randle the team would run some faster offensive sets but I guess they'll figure that out.

#85 Majesty

Majesty

• Gameday
  • 54,335 posts

Posted July 04, 2015 - 04:22 PM

To get Hibbert for essentially nothing, I can't really complain about that. He gives us a defensive presence around the rim that we've been sorely lacking the last few seasons and he slots in nicely alongside Randle and won't stunt his development because they play different positions.

I'd think that with Russell/Clarkson/Randle the team would run some faster offensive sets but I guess they'll figure that out.

I think the biggest advantage would be them on the fast break.  And how would the fast breaks start? A defensive play at the other end.  

• Bjork, Roidz and L4K like this

"Bryant had come to rage against the idea that Howard's clownish disposition could overtake the locker room, the Lakers' culture, and had warned Howard that he would never, ever let it happen." 

#86 reryo

reryo

Off The Bench

• 1,610 posts
  • Name:Lee
  • Fan Since:2006
  • Fav. Laker:Odom

Posted July 04, 2015 - 04:32 PM

Press conference for Hibbert. Yay or nay?

• 43,917 posts

Posted July 04, 2015 - 04:34 PM

Too risky. He might say something that gets him fined.

yo.

#88 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Hall Of Fame

• 8,982 posts
  • Name:Tyler
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The mamba

Posted July 04, 2015 - 04:34 PM

lol people will [expletive] and moan no matter what the Lakers do.

• Majesty, MysticBlu~, PuigNotLate and 1 other like this

"Friends come and go but banners hang forever."  - Kobe Bryant

• 43,917 posts

Posted July 04, 2015 - 04:35 PM

lol people will [expletive] and moan no matter what the Lakers do.

Or don't do.

yo.

#90 DTIII™

DTIII™

"I am one with the force, the force is with me."

• 5,764 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Julius, D'Angelo & Jordan

Posted July 04, 2015 - 04:38 PM

33447081.jpg

EyMlHkX.jpg

#91 LakeShow1o1

LakeShow1o1

Superstar

• 7,248 posts
  • Name:The Black Mamba Will Rise
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted July 04, 2015 - 04:49 PM

Kobe finally got his Tyson Chandler???

• flota likes this

#92 David

David

Hall Of Fame

• 9,855 posts

Posted July 04, 2015 - 04:59 PM

Maybe we can flip him before the deadline unless he are considering him for the long-term.

KOBE. #VINO. BRYANT.

#93 muncher

muncher

Rookie

• 626 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Gary Vitti

Posted July 04, 2015 - 05:01 PM

I, for one, am very happy with this move! We needed a defensive centre and we got one. Still got cap room next year, and Hibbert is in a contract year, who knows what might happen.

P.S. I'd rather him here than on the Clippers... who, you know, need a centre :naughty:

Edited by muncher, July 04, 2015 - 05:02 PM.

#94 LakeShow1o1

LakeShow1o1

Superstar

• 7,248 posts
  • Name:The Black Mamba Will Rise
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted July 04, 2015 - 05:01 PM

Maybe we can flip him before the deadline unless he are considering him for the long-term.

That's very possible.  If a contender down the line such as OKC sees that a need a defensive presence under the hoop, they can more than likely try and offer a package that could net them Hibbert to chase a ring.

Hibbert will be a great trade chip moving forward due to his contract flexibility and the rim protection he provides.  If he shows an even larger array of moves and performs at a high level, it can only benefit us moving forward.

#95 dazz

dazz

• 1,204 posts

Posted July 04, 2015 - 05:03 PM

Question is, how much value does an expiring contract have when the very next season the cap is raising 20m?

hsl17b.jpg

#96 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 26,320 posts

Posted July 04, 2015 - 05:04 PM

Another possibility. We have a ton of options with Hibbert. 

#97 KSOR24

KSOR24

Off The Bench

• 1,905 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted July 04, 2015 - 05:16 PM

That's very possible.  If a contender down the line such as OKC sees that a need a defensive presence under the hoop, they can more than likely try and offer a package that could net them Hibbert to chase a ring.

Hibbert will be a great trade chip moving forward due to his contract flexibility and the rim protection he provides.  If he shows an even larger array of moves and performs at a high level, it can only benefit us moving forward.

Ibaka and Adams are more than capable of holding down the paint. OKC doesn't need Hibbert. Unless you're talking about a contending team in general, though I can't think of any besides the Clips that need a defensive anchor.

#98 rossf

rossf

Rookie

• 229 posts
  • Fan Since:'50s
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted July 04, 2015 - 05:20 PM

So we are GIVING assets to rent someone for one year in a meaningless season? Am I missing something here? Wtf

I think what you're missing is that there is no such thing as a meaningless season. Not to those who manage, coach, and play. This season is going to be about the development of a winning culture---at least that's the goal. They need to fill some spots with players who don't require a long-term commitment, yet bring some skills at their position---maybe even turn out to be worthy of a longer term role. Hibbert wasn't their first choice, but he fills a need.

Doesn't matter if anyone buys what the Lakers are doing; the season is not meaningless to them.

#99 Majesty

Majesty

• Gameday
  • 54,335 posts

Posted July 04, 2015 - 05:25 PM

yes... such irreplaceable assets like Ater Majok and a 2nd round pick for a center who was an all-star a year ago and the 2nd or 3rd best rim protector in the league and filling up an ABSOLUTE need that we needed this off-season.  The kind of need that the 2017 2nd round pick and Ater Majok were likely never going to fill this season.   

Edited by Majesty, July 04, 2015 - 05:27 PM.

• L4K likes this

#100 Majesty

Majesty

• Gameday
  • 54,335 posts

Posted July 04, 2015 - 05:33 PM

A VERY GLARING NEED! 

Edited by Majesty, July 04, 2015 - 05:33 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users