Roy Hibbert

• Please log in to reply
617 replies to this topic

#581 JGuez

JGuez

All-Star

• 6,006 posts

Posted October 07, 2015 - 06:33 AM

"Julius is an animal. He's the future of this team. He's a future face of the NBA. That boy can play." - Roy Hibbert

Whether if it ends up being true or not....nice words from Roy.

Also enjoyed this quote:

"I just wanted to be aggressive. Win, lose or draw it's pre-season. You don't want to take too much into the wins or the losses. It's just how you play. Just play with aggression and play together like we did I like what I saw, even with the loss." - Roy Hibbert

100% agree. Team showed a fight last night I hadn't seem from the Lakers in a long time.

• Majesty likes this

#582 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 7,053 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted October 07, 2015 - 06:51 AM

I agree. Effort and passion takes you a long way and if Hibbert could take a page out of Tyson Chandler's book and play within his limitations, i think he could be an all-star and a DPOY candidate.

Absolutely no way he makes all star.

They did away w center position first of all.

And he'd be behind Boogie, DH, and Marc Gasol (maybe DJ) in the west if they had it.

Throw in the  forwards in the West (KD, LMA, Blake, Z'Bo, Timmy, AD) and theres just no way he cracks that logjam 

Praying for  1. Some Cohesion (Ill fitting parts with young bucks, new guys, and those playing for next contracts may muck things up all season) 2. Better Coaching, No More Tanking (Last season was more of the latter but not sure how much of the former we can count on. Walton with something to prove this season as much as any Laker player) 3. Rookie Watch (Hoping Lonzo outshines his daddy (ROTY??), and Kuzma finds minutes and makes a push for all rook 2nd team)

READY FOR SEASON!!!

#583 androsays

androsays

representing infinity with presidencies

• 5,807 posts
  • Name:andro
  • Fan Since:90s
  • Fav. Laker:kobe

Posted October 07, 2015 - 07:20 AM

you're forgetting the impact of Laker fans.

if he plays at his previous All-Star level and the Lakers are hovering within playoff contention, all the bandwagon Laker fans will resurface and cast their votes, and they are [expletive]ing everywhere.

2div

#584 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Hall Of Fame

• 8,544 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted October 07, 2015 - 08:31 AM

Absolutely no way he makes all star.
They did away w center position first of all.
And he'd be behind Boogie, DH, and Marc Gasol (maybe DJ) in the west if they had it.
Throw in the forwards in the West (KD, LMA, Blake, Z'Bo, Timmy, AD) and theres just no way he cracks that logjam

I agree. He won't. Especially next season and certainly not in the west, but I still think he could improve a lot.

#585 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 7,053 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted October 07, 2015 - 10:11 AM

^ Yep.

But this isn't to say a stand out season like 16/11 isn't possible.

He looks like a certain bright spot...so far

Edited by kball, October 07, 2015 - 10:12 AM.

Praying for  1. Some Cohesion (Ill fitting parts with young bucks, new guys, and those playing for next contracts may muck things up all season) 2. Better Coaching, No More Tanking (Last season was more of the latter but not sure how much of the former we can count on. Walton with something to prove this season as much as any Laker player) 3. Rookie Watch (Hoping Lonzo outshines his daddy (ROTY??), and Kuzma finds minutes and makes a push for all rook 2nd team)

READY FOR SEASON!!!

#586 JGuez

JGuez

All-Star

• 6,006 posts

Posted October 07, 2015 - 10:34 AM

^Someone had mentioned this....maybe it was Majesty? But Roy these first 2 games has been very good on the boards.

Did Vogel actually tell Hibbert to just focus on getting back on defense? Like....that would explain why a 7'2" all star center was only able to average 8 boards in his best season.

And again.....i know it's only 2 pre-season games. This ultimately could mean nothing but man was I happy to see the energy he brought for us last night. 

#587 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 16,529 posts
  • Name:Julius Jordan
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted October 07, 2015 - 11:13 AM

Hibbert played with great rebounders too in West, George and Stephenson.

#588 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Hall Of Fame

• 8,544 posts

Posted October 07, 2015 - 09:02 PM

The Indiana teams has been among the best rebounding teams in the league for the past 5 years despite Hibbert "only" putting up 7-8 rpg. This just underlines how stats can be deceiving.

In my opinion, we should focus on our overall rebounding numbers, rather than hold on to an ancient idea that a C should average a double-double and if Hibbert can just focus on defending the rim, the rest of the guys can rebound.

#589 MrKnowItAll

MrKnowItAll

Starter

• 5,457 posts
  • Name:Yosif
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe bryant

Posted October 07, 2015 - 11:25 PM

Gimme 11-13ppg and 9+ boards a game and elite rim protection. Be the safety net of the defense. 

#590 LakeShow1o1

LakeShow1o1

Superstar

• 7,151 posts
  • Name:The Black Mamba Will Rise
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted October 07, 2015 - 11:57 PM

Towards the latter half of Hibbert's stint in Indiana, Bird and the Pacers brass simply wanted to turn Hibbert into a completely different player...  Something that made no sense in terms of his body, physique, and clear potential as a defensive anchor.  Bird clearly wanted to quicken the pace of the Pacers team, expecting Hibbert to become a stretch 5 of sorts, it just wasn't feasible and made no sense.

In turn, Hibbert's numbers clearly suffered and I think he had a hard time finding his niche and identity on that squad.  Is he Tyson Chandler? No... However, he has the tools, passion for the game, and mindset that could easily place him in the same category.  The running joke of the offseaso was "SLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWW ROY", but that's clearly no longer the case.

• DanishLakerFan and Majesty like this

#591 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Hall Of Fame

• 8,544 posts

Posted October 08, 2015 - 12:43 AM

Towards the latter half of Hibbert's stint in Indiana, Bird and the Pacers brass simply wanted to turn Hibbert into a completely different player...  Something that made no sense in terms of his body, physique, and clear potential as a defensive anchor.  Bird clearly wanted to quicken the pace of the Pacers team, expecting Hibbert to become a stretch 5 of sorts, it just wasn't feasible and made no sense.

In turn, Hibbert's numbers clearly suffered and I think he had a hard time finding his niche and identity on that squad.  Is he Tyson Chandler? No... However, he has the tools, passion for the game, and mindset that could easily place him in the same category.  The running joke of the offseaso was "SLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWW ROY", but that's clearly no longer the case.

I'm not trying to say Hibbert should become Tyson Chandler. I'm saying he should stick to what he does well and forget about being something he isn't.

He should focus all his energy on defense. Accept that Russ, Clarkson, Lou, Kobe and Randle should be the ones scoring the ball. He should forget post-ups when he doesn't have established deep position. Focus on pick and ROLL, rather than pick and pop. Get his ass back on defense, rather than go for the offensive boards (unless he's right at the rim). That sort of stuff.

• LakeShow1o1 likes this

#592 bigvee

bigvee

Legend

• 12,566 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Samaki Walker

Posted October 08, 2015 - 07:54 AM

I saw Hibbert running back on transition D quicker than some of the rookies out last game. 

Also, he's probably the latest Lakers center who has actually wanted to be here in a very long time. And he hits his free throws. That combination of hustle and desire is exactly what I want from every single one of our players.

• Jackson likes this

#593 androsays

androsays

representing infinity with presidencies

• 5,807 posts
  • Name:andro
  • Fan Since:90s
  • Fav. Laker:kobe

Posted October 08, 2015 - 08:10 AM

Its only been 2 preseason games, but Hibbert looks so much more physically fit then he has ever been his whole career. New scenery is probably all he need, he looks revitalized.

My gut tells me he's finally going to break the 30 minute/game threshold this year.

2div

#594 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 16,529 posts

Posted October 08, 2015 - 08:58 AM

In his physical prime.

#595 Clutch Factor

Clutch Factor

Hall Of Fame

• 9,765 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted October 08, 2015 - 09:56 AM

Hibbert looks much more agile and fit than I've ever seen him.

#596 Lakerace24

Lakerace24

Starter

• 5,137 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Fan Since:Birth

Posted October 08, 2015 - 01:14 PM

Contract year. Hopefully he keeps this up

#597 Klewfish

Klewfish

Reppin' LA on the East Coast

• 2,196 posts
  • Name:Chris
  • Fan Since:Game 4 of 2000 NBA Finals

Posted October 08, 2015 - 11:20 PM

The Indiana teams has been among the best rebounding teams in the league for the past 5 years despite Hibbert "only" putting up 7-8 rpg. This just underlines how stats can be deceiving.

In my opinion, we should focus on our overall rebounding numbers, rather than hold on to an ancient idea that a C should average a double-double and if Hibbert can just focus on defending the rim, the rest of the guys can rebound.

I've stated this multiple times, but Hibbert's "low" rebounding numbers had a lot to do with the defensive system they ran in Indy. Hibbert patrolling the paint, forced a lot of teams to take long jumpshots. long jumpshots = long rebounds. Long rebounds = out of his range. Hence, why we saw guys like Paul George, Stephenson and George Hill having high rebound numbers for their respective positions. If the same effect happens here, I'm confident we have great perimeter rebounders in Russell, Clarkson, and Kobe. Even still, Hibbert looks completely different than he did in Indy, and I think he will have some career highs this season.

• DanishLakerFan likes this
Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.

#598 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 16,529 posts

Posted October 09, 2015 - 07:59 PM

I think he should resign if he is healthy and continues to play as well as he has been. Our D is so much better when he is on the floor. I'm really interested to see Upshaw and Bass together but we may not. I think Nance watching Bass is better than Randle doing so.

Anyway, Hibbert is playing similar to what Bynum was for us during the title runs. Keep those minutes at 30 and under for everyone.

I feel like compared to Hill, Hibbert's D is a 8.5 >5.1

Kobe looks better defensively in limited minutes. Metta too. Randle, Clarkson and Russell look solid and maybe all of this is a by product of an actual anchor.

In my mind, I'm still trying to imagine a way for us to win a title.
First it was trading Roy and Randle and maybe Clarkson for DC and Mclemore
Now it's hoping that we can catch Dallas type lightning in a bottle. With a couple of smaller moves.

I look at the skill set that Roy has as a FT shooting defender with SIZE in a game where that asset is a skill in of itself.
He's not Tyson Chandler, but he can help a team in the same ways Bogut and Mosgov helped the champs last season.
We don't have an MVP candidate, unless Randle is something special beyond what we could imagine. But between this mix of offensive threats and overall character guys.
Hopefully you see some confidence in our ROOKIES, Russell as a Steve Nash/Billups mix
Nance as Ronny Rambis
Anthony Brown as Big Shot Brown.

I know...
Too much to ask.
But I def think, our attitude improved. We were truly humbled as an organization and we have several guys who feel that way personally.
From Kobe, Randle, Russell,Nick, Metta, Lou(Toronto offered no contract). Even Nance and Upshaw in different ways. Hibbert is at the helm of that.

I'm wondering what his true potential is.
He has offensive flaws, but not that FT shooting.

#599 MaceWindu

MaceWindu

Starter

• 4,580 posts
  • Fan Since:Hector was a pup
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted October 09, 2015 - 08:44 PM

So in a nutshell, we should keep Roy.

#600 Ventiquattro

Ventiquattro

All-Star

• 6,559 posts

Posted October 09, 2015 - 08:57 PM

If he performs good this season then I don't see a reason why the Lakers won't resign him. Unless they're trading him for another center there isn't any credible centers next summer.

My pipe dream is getting Durant. If Russell, Randle and Clarkson have a good season then this team will have better odds at contending. Probably won't be enough for a ring but who knows.

Russell
Kobe
Durant
Randle
Hobert

Clarkson
Lou
Hopefully Anthony brown
Bass
Upshaw

That would be something to watch for.

0 user(s) are reading this topic