• Please log in to reply
517 replies to this topic

#501 dazz

dazz

Rookie

• 1,166 posts
  • Fan Since:Mid 80's

Posted October 23, 2015 - 05:19 AM

I'm with fido on this one. So what if he takes up a roster spot? we could have given him a cheap non-guaranteed contract and free up that spot at any time if needed. Send him to the D-League and make a decision later down the road. The contract doesn't become guaranteed until January 10th so there's some more time to re-evaluate him. 

But I'm repeating myself, and now he's gone, so time to move on

BTW, he should've cleared waivers by now...

Edited by dazz, October 23, 2015 - 05:20 AM.

2lc8cvr.jpg

#502 Lakersfan1211

Lakersfan1211

Legend

• 20,344 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted October 23, 2015 - 11:19 AM

As expected, Lakers waive Jonathan Holmes. Roster now stands at 16, one more cut to go to get to 15 max, (between MWP & Jabari Brown).

• DeeZee likes this

#503 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 12,952 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted October 23, 2015 - 04:21 PM

Talent had nothing to do with it fido.

He didn't handle his business. So he wasn't going to be rewarded at the end of that. Would have been a bad precedent to set for a young team. You establish that early what will fly and what won't and what's expected of you.

If Upshaw becomes an example then so be it.

But hes getting another chance in dleague from the Lakers...again.

So we'll see if the 3rd time is the charm.

He blew one chance in summer league when he was on verge of contract and once again in camp for different reasons. If he gets it together in dleague then he'll get another shot. Lakers are keeping a close eye on it and him. While he handles that they didn't want him taking up a roster spot.

They saw his talent and flashes..but thats not what was gonna keep him on the team. His case is a bit different.

Talent is all that matters...if he wants to harm himself, he's a grown man - see LO.  We didn't facilitate LO's downfall anymore than we would be facilitating Upshaw's...

Yet, people are acting like we need to take the moral HIGH GROUND?  Like we really have enough talent on this roster to turn down a potential DPOY caliber anchor?

There are a LOT of things we could do to help keep him on the straight and narrow while keeping him on the roster.  I can name 5 players on this roster that don't have Upshaw's upside AND who won't contribute to much success on this team this year...

So we set an example of Upshaw?  Help him turn his life around?

This is a business, not a group home.  It's the NBA, not AAU.  He's got the talent, even if he does the bare minimum, he's better than Sacre and more potential than Black or Kelly.  Jabari Brown is a chucker and they are a dime a dozen so do we really need him?  With Nick Young AND Lou Williams?  We need J Brown?  Not.  Anthony Brown?  Or even Larry Nance?

We are in prime position to take on a longterm project.  The fact that we aren't means someone has lost sight of the goal and doesn't clearly see or understand where this team is right now...

tenor.gif

#504 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 12,952 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted October 23, 2015 - 04:24 PM

Oh, and though it may be too soon, LO's "Candyman" nickname?  I think we can all agree that they weren't talking about Skittles...we can at least admit that now, right?

Only way Upshaw was or is doing something worse than LO while on this team is he's doing it on the court...

tenor.gif

#505 dazz

dazz

Rookie

• 1,166 posts
  • Fan Since:Mid 80's

Posted October 23, 2015 - 04:32 PM

Oh, and though it may be too soon, LO's "Candyman" nickname?  I think we can all agree that they weren't talking about Skittles...we can at least admit that now, right?

Only way Upshaw was or is doing something worse than LO while on this team is he's doing it on the court...

Not funny dude

2lc8cvr.jpg

#506 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 25,724 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted October 25, 2015 - 04:20 PM

Wouldn't the Lakers need to have a team set by today?

#507 Lakersfan1211

Lakersfan1211

Legend

• 20,344 posts

Posted October 25, 2015 - 04:28 PM

Wouldn't the Lakers need to have a team set by today?

Tomorrow noon is deadline

Edited by Lakersfan1211, October 25, 2015 - 04:28 PM.

• bigfetz likes this

#508 Disaster in Paradise

Disaster in Paradise

Do you wanna tickle my big ol' long toes?

• 11,536 posts

Posted October 25, 2015 - 05:29 PM

Decisions, decisions.

I like to dip my feet in toilet water & smell them.

#509 Lakersfan1211

Lakersfan1211

Legend

• 20,344 posts

Posted October 26, 2015 - 09:59 AM

OFFICIAL: Lakers waive guard Jabari Brown. The roster now stands at 15. Press Release: http://on.nba.com/1k5fFfD 

L.A. Times Sports ‏@latimessports  6m6 minutes ago

Metta World Peace, not Jabari Brown, gets Lakers' final roster spot http://lat.ms/1LXCnkv 

Edited by Lakersfan1211, October 26, 2015 - 10:01 AM.

#510 Lakersfan1211

Lakersfan1211

Legend

• 20,344 posts

Posted October 26, 2015 - 10:03 AM

Lakers will try to sign Jabari Brown + Robert Upshaw to their D-League affiliate, the LA D-Fenders, whose camp is still a few weeks from now

#511 UKUGA

UKUGA

Superstar

• 7,465 posts
  • Name:UKUGA
  • Fan Since:1981
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted October 26, 2015 - 10:26 AM

:ronflex:

Don't feed the trolls. 

#512 Disaster in Paradise

Disaster in Paradise

Do you wanna tickle my big ol' long toes?

• 11,536 posts

Posted October 26, 2015 - 11:21 AM

Best shape ever.

I like to dip my feet in toilet water & smell them.

#513 JGuez

JGuez

All-Star

• 6,007 posts

Posted October 26, 2015 - 11:35 AM

Good. He was honestly pissing me off with his no pass mentality.

I think he's got a place in this league one day though. Possible 6th man role.

• K-Kris likes this

#514 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• Gameday
  • 54,315 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted October 26, 2015 - 12:29 PM

Metta is also going to be transitioned into an assistant role in the long term.

"Bryant had come to rage against the idea that Howard's clownish disposition could overtake the locker room, the Lakers' culture, and had warned Howard that he would never, ever let it happen." 

#515 DeeZee

DeeZee

Starter

• 4,642 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe. Shaq.

Posted October 26, 2015 - 02:36 PM

According to Mark Medina of the Los Angeles Daily News, however, Brown will elect to play overseas as opposed to the D-League if he isn’t claimed by an NBA team:

If no NBA team signs Brown before he clears waivers, he will look to play overseas instead of playing in the D-League, according to a league source familiar with his thinking.

#516 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 16,538 posts
  • Name:Julius Jordan
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted October 26, 2015 - 02:37 PM

Get your money

#517 rossf

rossf

Rookie

• 226 posts
  • Fan Since:'50s
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted October 26, 2015 - 04:41 PM

The Lakers are the ones who signed Upshaw when nobody else wanted him, and now he's in the D-league with nobody else wanting him. Let the Lakers figure it out and shut up about him already. LOL.

#518 rossf

rossf

Rookie

• 226 posts
  • Fan Since:'50s
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted October 27, 2015 - 10:45 AM

Rnadle was a #7 pick!.  That is one of the top 10 polayers in college ball, he should be good right off the bat.  Or at least show something.  Threough his limnited play last year he sdhowed little.  He's slowly coming into form, finally (from what I read from others on here at least).  I haven't seen but one pre-season game.  A) because it's pre-season and it means nothing and b) because I don't have broadcasty TV here at home.  Randle, and any top 10 pick get very little breathing room as far as I'm concerned.  These high picks are supposed cornerstone pieces.  They should come in with a definite skill set and ready to go in some for  or fashion.  If they're not NBA ready right off the bat, they should be lower picks - plain and simple.  Hence why I hate throwing seasons away to gamble o nthe damn lottery or kids.

You expect top 10 picks to be cornerstone pieces, but you don't like gambling on kids. How does that mesh?

First of all, the Lakers did not throw anything away to get high picks. That's just fan fantasy. The Lakers were in the lottery because ambitious moves failed, then the intentional strategy to maintain financial flexibility for the future, and a huge number of injuries with the mediocre rosters. Poor coaching choices arguably contributed as well.

Second, most #7 picks do not become "cornerstone pieces." Many not even close. Randall has shown as much potential as most, but like any draft pick, we'll have to see if some injury or unforeseen deficiency prevents him from becoming a top NBA player.

If Russell and Randall fail to become cornerstone pieces to future championships, to many Laker fans and those who pander to them, this will be the scandal of the century. To everyone else, barely noteworthy.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: lakers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users