530 replies to this topic

#481 lakersince75

lakersince75

Sixth Man

• 3,140 posts
  • Fan Since:1975
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul Jabbar

Posted November 12, 2015 - 08:17 PM

We can always meet for lunch. My frequent flyer miles can touch many places. We can chat over tea

You know nothing about me so you better shut your mouth and try to form proper opinions. 

#482 Tensai

Tensai

Superstar

• 8,255 posts

Posted November 12, 2015 - 08:21 PM

Russell's problem is that there are way too many "ball suckers" on the team that he cannot catch a break and shoulder the responsibility. Byron isn't giving it to him. Nance has no such problem, and it is not his game. So it not right to compare them in that regard.

fXlFKv8.gif

#483 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Hall Of Fame

• 8,668 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted November 12, 2015 - 08:26 PM

Unsubstantiated support of Russell is also unsettling.  Just because he wears the clothes you root for, it doesn't make him infallbile.  You can blame the coach all you want (he deserves a helping of it for sure), but a good portion of it falls on Russell's shoulders as well.  The kid is lacking far too much to be as lauded as he was.  Remember, not only was he pegged as having a high ceiling in this last draft, there were several qualified basketball minds that said he also has the potential to be the biggest bust.  That's a gamble that maybe shouldn't have been taken at this juncture in Lakers history.

By the way that description of Nance pretty much describes everyone in a Laker uniform this season.

The term "proper opinions" makes no sense.  Anyway - both of you - back it off some.

Mr. fido, we usually disagree on everything and that's the case here as well. :)

When you look at all 90% of the championships that's been won over the years, one thing is quite clear: you need a superstar on your team. Russell may have had a high risk of being a bust, but he also had one of the highest chance of being a superstar and i'm perfectly happy with us swinging for the fences, rather than settle for mediocrity.

Regarding Nance, he should get more minutes imo.

#484 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• Gameday
  • 54,315 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted November 12, 2015 - 08:30 PM

Unsubstantiated support of Russell is also unsettling.  Just because he wears the clothes you root for, it doesn't make him infallbile.  You can blame the coach all you want (he deserves a helping of it for sure), but a good portion of it falls on Russell's shoulders as well.  The kid is lacking far too much to be as lauded as he was.  Remember, not only was he pegged as having a high ceiling in this last draft, there were several qualified basketball minds that said he also has the potential to be the biggest bust.  That's a gamble that maybe shouldn't have been taken at this juncture in Lakers history.

By the way that description of Nance pretty much describes everyone in a Laker uniform this season.

The term "proper opinions" makes no sense.  Anyway - both of you - back it off some.

It's what Jerry would have done. 

So it's what Mitch did. 

"Bryant had come to rage against the idea that Howard's clownish disposition could overtake the locker room, the Lakers' culture, and had warned Howard that he would never, ever let it happen." 

#485 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• Site Admin
  • 15,336 posts
  • Name:Brandon

Posted November 12, 2015 - 11:43 PM

Initial lineup should have been Hibbert, Randle, Nance, Kobe and Russell...and I think I created a topic on that a LONG time ago.  

http://lakernation.c...ted-depth-chart

As much as I like Clarkson, we can't afford to play these games without a defensive player in our five.  Hibbert, as the anchor, doesn't count.  This team will never be able to win games by letting teams drop 100+ on them at will, and with Nance, he's the guy you throw into the dogfight as soon as you can.

Clarkson has time.  He will take Kobe's spot at the two, and Scott needs to tell him this, and explain how Kobe came off the bench when he was younger as well.

Give Nance the spot, give Clarkson the green light to take over games off the bench, and roll with it.

• KB24BlackMamba, Tensai, JGuez and 2 others like this

#486 Massacre

Massacre

yo

• Contributor
  • 8,511 posts

Posted November 12, 2015 - 11:52 PM

Let him start.

Hibbert, Randle, Nance, Kobe, Russell when KB plays
Hibbert, Randle, Nance, Clarkson, Russell when KB doesn't play

Myself (and a lot of other people) pointed out how a lack of perimeter D is going to hurt this team big time before the season opened. Nance is the best we've got and the kid is showing promise. Throwing him out there will help that because...

1) he's the fifth option
2) he's already found his niche. Hustling, defending, cutting, takin open shots. Nothing he can't handle.
3) this guy played 4 college years, and was first-team all defense, and first team overall each of the last 2 years. Not to mention the MWC DPOY just last season. He can handle it...he's not 19, fresh out of high school.

However, starting Nance (or even giving him significant minutes) would take a head coach who knows what he's doing, so I'm not getting my hopes up.

Edited by Massacre, November 12, 2015 - 11:53 PM.

• K-Kris likes this

#487 Tensai

Tensai

Superstar

• 8,255 posts

Posted November 13, 2015 - 12:15 AM

I'm not so sure about Clarkson coming off the bench, considering we have Lou and Young. 3 of them together is reduntant as [expletive]. But what can we do, this is the roster. If, and this is a big if, Young commits to playing defense, I'd have him at SF and slide Kobe to SG. He is also efficient on offense this year.

Hibbert, Randle, Young, Kobe, Russell

with Nance, Lou and Clarkson off the bench.

fXlFKv8.gif

#488 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• Gameday
  • 54,315 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted November 13, 2015 - 03:45 AM

Initial lineup should have been Hibbert, Randle, Nance, Kobe and Russell...and I think I created a topic on that a LONG time ago.  

As much as I like Clarkson, we can't afford to play these games without a defensive player in our five.  Hibbert, as the anchor, doesn't count.  This team will never be able to win games by letting teams drop 100+ on them at will, and with Nance, he's the guy you throw into the dogfight as soon as you can.

Clarkson has time.  He will take Kobe's spot at the two, and Scott needs to tell him this, and explain how Kobe came off the bench when he was younger as well.

Give Nance the spot, give Clarkson the green light to take over games off the bench, and roll with it.

Good idea, especially as Clarkson seems to have bad tunnel vision right now like he bought the hype from last year.

Imo coming off the bench at the 1 for him and having the freedom to score and set up guys may be whats best for him.  Though I'm unsure if Byron will do that or if Kobe really wants to return to the 2.  Though I guess you could say defensively Nance would just guard the biggest threat. 

"Bryant had come to rage against the idea that Howard's clownish disposition could overtake the locker room, the Lakers' culture, and had warned Howard that he would never, ever let it happen." 

#489 KSOR24

KSOR24

Off The Bench

• 1,905 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted November 13, 2015 - 06:43 AM

Kobe is easily the worst defender in the starting 5, so why doesn't he come off the bench? It makes more sense to bench a 37 year old who will be gone next year than it does to bench one of our core players. And at this point we're better off losing as many games as possible, so benching Clarkson just so we can improve our defense and win a few more games isn't worth it.

Edited by KSOR24, November 13, 2015 - 06:46 AM.

#490 JGuez

JGuez

All-Star

• 6,007 posts

Posted November 13, 2015 - 06:54 AM

Kobe is easily the worst defender in the starting 5, so why doesn't he come off the bench? It makes more sense to bench a 37 year old who will be gone next year than it does to bench one of our core players. And at this point we're better off losing as many games as possible, so benching Clarkson just so we can improve our defense and win a few more games isn't worth it.

Fans pay the big bucks to see Kobe play if he's healthy.

It's the reality of the situation.

#491 erfolk

erfolk

Sixth Man

• 3,074 posts
  • Name:Lewis
  • Fan Since:Birth:10-31-86
  • Fav. Laker:All Bout The Name On The Front

Posted November 13, 2015 - 07:45 AM

Fans pay the big bucks to see Kobe play if he's healthy.

It's the reality of the situation.

Well he isn't healthy and has been one of our worst players. No way I'm benching Clarkson.

#492 gque24

gque24

Starter

• 4,683 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:KOBE

Posted November 13, 2015 - 09:06 AM

we need to start winning games now before it gets really pathetic & guys start to have hate for one another. Havent you learned from last season smfh. LA needs to be better at controlling first quarters and maintaining leads

Never Wrong Always Right Like Freeway Exits!!

#493 lakerfan98

lakerfan98

Vice President of Interneting Operations

• 3,418 posts
  • Name:Ryan
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted November 13, 2015 - 09:24 AM

we need to start winning games now before it gets really pathetic & guys start to have hate for one another. Havent you learned from last season smfh. LA needs to be better at controlling first quarters and maintaining leads

Play more better.  Win more, lose less.  Sounds simple enough.  Thanks for the insight gque24.

#494 JGuez

JGuez

All-Star

• 6,007 posts

Posted November 13, 2015 - 09:33 AM

Well he isn't healthy and has been one of our worst players. No way I'm benching Clarkson.

I'm not disagreeing about what Kobe's role should be, I'm just saying the reality of it. 

I also said "if" he's healthy....

Edited by JGuez, November 13, 2015 - 09:33 AM.

#495 gque24

gque24

Starter

• 4,683 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:KOBE

Posted November 13, 2015 - 10:52 AM

obviously it isnt simple enough if a DCAF like yourself dont realize nor a professional like Byron can realize

Play more better.  Win more, lose less.  Sounds simple enough.  Thanks for the insight gque24.

Never Wrong Always Right Like Freeway Exits!!

#496 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 16,598 posts
  • Name:Julius Jordan
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted November 13, 2015 - 11:20 AM

First of all Nance started the season hurt. Secondly , we have not seen him the 3.

#497 KB24BlackMamba

KB24BlackMamba

Rookie

• 405 posts
  • Name:Kevin
  • Fan Since:2008
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted November 13, 2015 - 12:16 PM

Definetly, this would make the most sense. It gives Russell a chance to grow and get experience, + when Clarkson is playing with the bench unit the offense will be running through him, getting him a lot more scoring chances rather than in starting lineup where most of the scoring opportunities will be Kobe and Randle it seems thus far. 

It also takes away a little bit the shot chucking of Lou and Young off the bench,

Posted Image

#498 MAMBA24ILL

MAMBA24ILL

But I can’t love you obsessively for much longer.

• 10,257 posts
  • Fan Since:80's
  • Fav. Laker:MAMBA, MAGIC, NICK VAN EXEL

Posted November 13, 2015 - 12:45 PM

People were calling for his head over a tweet not too long ago. 

Hoping he can be a Shawn Marion type

gifninja-1.gif

#499 erfolk

erfolk

Sixth Man

• 3,074 posts

Posted November 13, 2015 - 01:03 PM

People were calling for his head over a tweet not too long ago.
Hoping he can be a Shawn Marion type

That was only because it put Kobe in a bad light. If it was about anyone else they wouldn't have cared.

#500 erfolk

erfolk

Sixth Man

• 3,074 posts

Posted November 13, 2015 - 01:05 PM

I'm not disagreeing about what Kobe's role should be, I'm just saying the reality of it.

I also said "if" he's healthy....

He hasn't been healthy for two years

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)