• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 15,391 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted June 21, 2015 - 10:35 PM

Assuming we take Okafor/Towns at #2, how do we build around a dominant post player?

We have Clarkson, Randle, Black, Kelly, Young...can possibly bring back Lin, Brown, Ellington, Henry, Davis...

What do we need at each position to maximize the BIG we have coming in?

PG

SG

SF

PF

Backup C

Do you prioritize Shooting?  Defense?  Passing?  Scoring?  Or something else?  Or a combination of things?

tenor.gif

Impeachment: Imminent

#2 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 28,546 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted June 21, 2015 - 10:47 PM

Sadly the best fit for this team would be butler and that's unlikely to happen. We don't have a true 3 yet and no rookies to really develop into that position. I mean there are other 3s available but no one as good as butler. If we can fill that position with a solid defender who can put up 15 a game then it's just a matter of role players and developing our rookies.

#3 Klewfish

Klewfish

Reppin' LA on the East Coast

• 2,197 posts
  • Name:Chris
  • Fan Since:Game 4 of 2000 NBA Finals

Posted June 21, 2015 - 10:49 PM

When I have time I'll do a more in-depth response, but as a teaser... Okafor is looked at as exclusively a dominant offensive post center, while Towns has a bit more versatile offensive game, and is a better defender.

With Okafor I look at the Dwight Howard era Orlando Magic as the stereotypical model. Floor spacers at all 4 positions. The difference is defensively where the Magic funneled players towards Dwight who was an elite rim protector, that's not an option with Okafor, where there would have to be more of an emphasis on perimeter defense. 

Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.

#4 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Danish Laker Fan

• 9,635 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted June 21, 2015 - 10:55 PM

With a dominant post player like Okafor we would need knock-down 3pt shooters to give him space and take advantage of his passing ability from the post. We need guys that can attack and create off the dribble and we would need a weak-side shotblocker and a handfull of wing defenders.

The perfect combination of guys would be something like:

Curry - Klay - Kawhi - Ibaka - Okafor

In terms of what we can get, i think we should go after:

Danny Green, Patrick Beverley, Ed Davis with the cap space we have.

Room-exception: Dorrell Wright.

Draft: Delon Wright, JP Tokoto.

PG Beverly / Clarkson / Delon

SG Kobe / Swaggy

SF Green / Wright / Tokoto

PF Randle / Davis

C Okafor / Black

#5 Tensai

Tensai

Hall Of Fame

• 9,404 posts

Posted June 21, 2015 - 11:06 PM

Get a Winslow (Butler), we already have Tyus Jones in some form (Clarkson). I wish I could speak more confidently regarding Randle but ideally some floor spreading is necessary from PF and SG. If "Iron Man" Matthews comes back in one piece from Achilles tear, then I'd want Mitch to bring him. He has good size, and two-way capabilities.

fXlFKv8.gif

#6 LakeShow1o1

LakeShow1o1

Superstar

• 7,945 posts
  • Name:The Black Mamba Will Rise
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted June 22, 2015 - 12:27 AM

Clarkson / Lin / Brown

Kobe / Young / Harvey

Harris / Anderson

Randle / Black

Okafor / (Robin Lopez or Asik)

If you leave draft night with a combination of Okafor, Anderson, and potentially either Upshaw, Harvey, or Tokoto, the Lakers are HUGE winners.

3-D guys will be fundamental in the rebuilding process once Okafor is drafted.  Provide substantial floor space in order for the big boy to operate down low.  WIth his tremendous ability to pass out pressure, you want to have reliable shooters and shot creators.

In regards to free agency, realisitcally, bringing in Tobias Harris, Danny Green, and a backup Center would be HUGE.  Hard to predict the salaries and project how much each player will get, but 3-D and a defensive anchor off the bench should be the top priorities.

• GCMD, DanishLakerFan and bandiger like this

#7 Ventiquattro

Ventiquattro

All-Star

• 6,574 posts

Posted June 22, 2015 - 12:33 AM

Im assuming the Lakers draft Okafor .. 

I would like to have as versatile players as possible so im not looking exclusively at 3 point players. Assuming we stick with a core of Okafor(though i dont know why i think Minny will pick him) , Randle and Clarkson , Green would be a good fit since he's a 3D player.

Clarkson @ 30-35 MPG

Green @ 30-32

Kobe @ 28-32

Randle @ 30-35 

Okafor @ ~29-33

Thats a good starting lineup on paper( Assumptions : Clarkson continues to improve , Kobe healthy enough to play > +1 rest games , Randle and Okafor translate/adjust their game smoothly)

Best case realistic scenario would be acquiring Knight and slide Clarkson as the 6th man ...

Bench ? 

PG

I like Lin or Mo Williams for point guard( would give Kendall a chance)

Basically i would rather have someone who has a pass first mentality. That would perfect for the offensive minded players we have.

SG

I loved the production from Wayne last year ! was more than a spot up shooter even though he was forced to due to roster, injures we had last year. So i dont mind at all retaining him and he would come for cheap!

SF

Young would be getting the time at the small forward position.. Other options would be the 27th pick (RHJ or Anderson)

PF

a stretch four that would complement Randle's game. You could insert Kelly with Okafor at times while having Randle flourish with the back up C. This would give us versatility in lineups and would result in a solid rotation.

C

Davis is the perfect guy here. Black is an option as well.

PG

Wayne or Young

Young or draft

Kelly

DAvis or Black

Not being bias but this would be one of the top 10-15 bench in the NBA. I think whats missing is a defensive wing on the bench and RHJ/Anderson would be the player to draft( hoping the lakers trade up)

This roster is a good starting point to elevate the team a bit at least for the upcoming year.

Durant obviously is the prize next year...

#8 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Danish Laker Fan

• 9,635 posts

Posted June 22, 2015 - 12:49 AM

Another guy we should target is Paul Millsap.

He's a very good defender, can shoot 3s, rebound and is a fantastic locker-room presence. I do think he's going to stay in Atlanta, but he'd be ideal next to Okafor.

#9 alec613

alec613

Off The Bench

• 1,658 posts
  • Fan Since:Can't remember
  • Fav. Laker:Adam Morrison

Posted June 22, 2015 - 03:54 AM

3-and-d players all the way

If some sort of miracle happens where also get a  legitimate second offensive option, who can consistently create his own shots and can knock down jumpers, falls to our laps, then it would be awesome. But that's already and all-star caliber player... one can dream

Edited by alec613, June 22, 2015 - 04:04 AM.

TEAM TANK

TEAMtANK.png

#10 Jay Cee

Jay Cee

• 1,940 posts
  • Name:James
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The Mamba

Posted June 22, 2015 - 04:27 AM

Jimmy Butler, Danny Green, Gerald Green, Wesley Matthews (yes I know he ruptured his Achilles but for the right price he could be worth a look), Amir Johnson, Corey Brewer, Dorrell Wright, DeMarre Carroll, Mo Williams, probably try to hang on to Ellington.

I would go after Butler, Green, and Green hard. I'd be a little conservative with the point guards this year, I don't want to shell out big deals for Dragic or Rondo.

If we can somehow trade up to the early 20s and get Justin Anderson that would be great. We have a lot of holes obviously, but I don't think this is the right year to bolster the point guard position. Keep rolling with Jordan and a serviceable backup.

#11 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Danish Laker Fan

• 9,635 posts

Posted June 22, 2015 - 04:40 AM

I think it would be awesome if we could create a team that resembled the 90s Bulls (2nd run) or the '15 Warriors - i.e. a team that had an insanely good and interchangeable defensive back-court.

Harper-MJ-Pip-Rodman-Longley. Longley wasn't much of a defender, but the other 4 were very good and extremely versatile. I think i heard Steve Kerr at some point say that opposing teams sometimes struggled even to get across midcourt, much less beat guys off the dribble. We saw some of the same with the Warriors this season with Klay, Iggy, Barnes, Draymond, Curry (not great defender).

Okafor might be "ok" as a rim protector, but i dont think he'll ever be "good" so instead we should focus on swarming the opposing team with wing defenders.

• Bishop* likes this

#12 dazz

dazz

• 1,378 posts

Posted June 22, 2015 - 05:39 AM

Do you prioritize Shooting?  Defense?  Passing?  Scoring?  Or something else?  Or a combination of things?

How about none of those?

The only priority should be the mid-long term IMO. Rome wasn't built in a day

1. Get the best young players you can regardless of skill set

2. Use cap space to sign players in free agency that can help win mid-long term: no eating up cap space in washed out expensive stars on their way out (like Wade). Plan for the future: no bad contracts that may kill our chances to get other future free agents

3. If no players that fit #2 are available, use cap space to absorb contracts in exchange for draft picks.

4. Use trades to shape up the team down the road.

All the while, do whatever it takes to develop your young assets, make them look as good as possible, adapt the way the team plays to the players you have and not the other way around. Raise their stock. 

There's still some margin to balance the team using cheap contracts to sign decent veterans.

The main thing is you don't have a core to build around without proven (super) star(s), we don't know if Okafor, or Randle or anyone else will be part of that core, so they should not determine what other players you sign in FA or pick in the draft.

Look how we kept drafting guards in the 90's, Peeler, Christie, Eddie Jones, till we landed Kobe and Jones got us Rice.  

2s6lb11.jpg

#13 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Danish Laker Fan

• 9,635 posts

Posted June 22, 2015 - 06:00 AM

How about none of those?

The only priority should be the mid-long term IMO. Rome wasn't built in a day

1. Get the best young players you can regardless of skill set

2. Use cap space to sign players in free agency that can help win mid-long term: no eating up cap space in washed out expensive stars on their way out (like Wade). Plan for the future: no bad contracts that may kill our chances to get other future free agents

3. If no players that fit #2 are available, use cap space to absorb contracts in exchange for draft picks.

4. Use trades to shape up the team down the road.

All the while, do whatever it takes to develop your young assets, make them look as good as possible, adapt the way the team plays to the players you have and not the other way around. Raise their stock. 

There's still some margin to balance the team using cheap contracts to sign decent veterans.

The main thing is you don't have a core to build around without proven (super) star(s), we don't know if Okafor, or Randle or anyone else will be part of that core, so they should not determine what other players you sign in FA or pick in the draft.

Look how we kept drafting guards in the 90's, Peeler, Christie, Eddie Jones, till we landed Kobe and Jones got us Rice.  

I think that is taking it too far. I agree that we should get the best available young players we can find, but with Okafor i just dont think it would make a lot of sense to try and add DeAndre Jordan because they would get in each others way. So we have to try to find a balance between adding as much talent as we can with getting players that make sense.

In terms of how these guys develop, i think it is extremely important to find the right kind of guys to put around them as well.

• GCMD likes this

#14 dazz

dazz

• 1,378 posts

Posted June 22, 2015 - 06:24 AM

I think that is taking it too far. I agree that we should get the best available young players we can find, but with Okafor i just dont think it would make a lot of sense to try and add DeAndre Jordan because they would get in each others way. So we have to try to find a balance between adding as much talent as we can with getting players that make sense.

In terms of how these guys develop, i think it is extremely important to find the right kind of guys to put around them as well.

How could I disagree with a guy holding a huge knife?  :laughing:

But yeah, what I meant was that free agency should either significantly improve the current plan or land us picks. There's always certainly level of commitment to the players you sign or pick, but if some really good center was available in FA, you may want to take that and consider moving Okafor. 

#1 is the first priority right now, pick BPA, what we should never do id to pick Russell just because DJ is available in FA. Only if the FO really thinks Russell is the better player, and even then, only pick DJ at the right price / contract length. I know the cap is increasing, but it increases for every other team too and it only takes a couple bad contracts to waste it

Edited by dazz, June 22, 2015 - 06:26 AM.

2s6lb11.jpg

#15 gque24

gque24

Starter

• 4,683 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:KOBE

Posted June 22, 2015 - 06:34 AM

Relying on rookie to be savior for post = is foolish.

Free agency must provide that LaMarcus or Gasol

Never Wrong Always Right Like Freeway Exits!!

#16 KidRN

KidRN

Hall Of Fame

• 9,755 posts
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:KB24 or 8

Posted June 22, 2015 - 06:38 AM

Relying on rookie to be savior for post = is foolish.

Free agency must provide that LaMarcus or Gasol

what? Every player is a rookie at some point!

#17 lakerfan98

lakerfan98

Vice President of Interneting Operations

• 4,120 posts
  • Name:Ryan

Posted June 22, 2015 - 07:00 AM

PG - Beverley to start if he's cheap enough relatively (Kobe's defense = not so good).  More likely start Clarkson and try to re-sign Lin as a backup again depending on $

SG - One year prove it deal for Matthews if he's interested or Afflalo (8 mil) if we strike out on the names below. 

SF - Harris (max) or Carroll (10 mil) or Green (10 mil?)

PF - Millsap (max or close to it) or re-sign Davis (7 mil)

C - Think we're covered with Okafor, Black, and Sacre.

Now obviously we don't have the money to bring in all these players but any combination would be fine with me.

#18 gque24

gque24

Starter

• 4,683 posts

Posted June 22, 2015 - 07:01 AM

true and what Rookie in this draft thats a big is coming into league ready to produce at high level

what? Every player is a rookie at some point!

#19 KidRN

KidRN

Hall Of Fame

• 9,755 posts
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:KB24 or 8

Posted June 22, 2015 - 07:04 AM

true and what Rookie in this draft thats a big is coming into league ready to produce at high level

that usually doesn't happen...but our team isn't ready to produce at a high level so I don't see your point. If we get Gasol than we are hurting Okafors growth and we still suck.

#20 gque24

gque24

Starter

• 4,683 posts

Posted June 22, 2015 - 07:15 AM

No proven NBA veteran at PF nor C can hurt Okafors growth. He needs that more then anything. Allowing these rookies to have bums to compeate against in practice & no tutelage from guys who have a niche & know the struggles & success of NBA is same reason why our player development has been pathetic for last several years.

The rookeis and young guys need the teaching from active players who have shown to be reliable for several years of production

Edited by gque24, June 22, 2015 - 07:16 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Okafor, Towns, Free Agency, Jimmy Butler

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users