#1 netlord

netlord

Flying high

• 10,869 posts
  • Name:Alexi
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted June 07, 2015 - 09:58 AM

Hey guys.

I need your help. I'm in the process of buying either a 49 or a 50'' tv.

Should I buy a 4k or settle with a Full hd.

I'm worried that non hd and 1080 content will look worse on a 4k...

#2 PhillyLaker24

PhillyLaker24

Starter

• 5,073 posts
  • Name:Joseph
  • Fan Since:2001
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted June 07, 2015 - 10:06 AM

Considering your not going for a huge tv screen, which I consider north of 60 inches 4k isn't really needed. Especially considering the amount of 4k material out today is minimum to none, which makes it sort of a useless technology at this point. If your considering to having this tv for the next 5+ years maybe a 4k would be worth it because it will be a few years before 4k becomes the new standard of viewing things rather than 1080p. 

If I was you I would get a nice smart tv that has a great refresh rate and brings you 1080p. 4k is a gimmick at this time because nothing is in 4k, other than certain computer games and thats not what a tv is for. Save the money now and get a stellar tv in 1080, and then a few years down the road when 4k becomes more ubiquitous (and also cheaper) then you should make the jump to 4k.  

• netlord and Kobe-Wan Kenobi like this

All I want for Christmas is a Laker girl :D

#3 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 24,074 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted June 07, 2015 - 10:37 AM

I would highly recommend waiting a year or 2 to get a new 4k TV to anyone right now. 4k is awesome but most big ones have a low refesh rate and also just to display 4k tv you need a pretty good set up. Also the cost will be way more resonable in a year. Most cable shows will not have 4k and it will just make the 1080 stuff look bad. In one year I see this changing drastically though. You will just see everything be 4k eventually just like they did with 1080.

Also if anyone is thinking of getting a 4k tv for gaming I would say not to. Unless you are doing PC gaming and have a legit GPU you arent gonna get much out of it.  A Xbox one or PS4 can barely do 1080 for most games(not even at 60fps). Sad thing is this will never get better with the console too so if you are wanting to do 4k gaming then you will need to go he PC route.

• netlord likes this

#4 netlord

netlord

Flying high

• 10,869 posts
  • Name:Alexi
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted June 07, 2015 - 02:01 PM

Thanks guys, that's what i'll do, I'll just go ahead and get a full hd.

At least I can get a higher level HD at the same price of a lower quality 4k.

#5 Batz

Batz

God dammit...

• 7,833 posts
  • Name:Ahmed
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted June 07, 2015 - 02:59 PM

Depends on the tv, but just about every 4k TV has processing power to upscale non-4k content. So all non-4k/non-hd/HD/FHD/QHD content do look better on a 4k TV.

#6 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 14,431 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted June 07, 2015 - 04:26 PM

Upscaling is a misnomer.  It's used to sell consumers on goods, but there is no true upscaling.  It's only increasing lines so the image isn't blurry.  That increase often leads to over-sharpness and can distort a picture.  Don't fall for upscaling, it actually does nothing.

There's not enough content in 4K for home use right now.  By the time it catches up, you could enjoy your new TV for years and the next thing will be available.   The danger of electronics is that if you wanted to, you could wait forever.  Working in the AV industry and studios for decades I can tell you that as soon as the general public has access to it - it's old technology.

Just get what you can afford today and enjoy it.

• netlord,     and HQLLYWQQD like this

#7 Marc Maron

Marc Maron

either/or

• 3,414 posts
  • Name:Spooky

Posted June 07, 2015 - 10:02 PM

Wait for 8k 

hR3rI.png

• 43,070 posts

Posted June 07, 2015 - 10:15 PM

^ Technology's already available. It's just being put on hold obviously until they maximize sales and time on 4k.

By the way though, what'll be next after 8k? There has to be a limit at some point right?

yo.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users