67 replies to this topic

#61 kidpolean

kidpolean

Superstar

• 8,093 posts
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:KB24 or 8

Posted June 05, 2015 - 02:46 PM

LebRon is a human truck, mj is a pure shooter. There shouldn't be a comparison.

MJ was not a pure shooter

#62 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• Gameday
  • 54,315 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted June 05, 2015 - 03:55 PM

Alright let's see....

MJ's game was never predicated on three point shooting.   He only did it when the team deemed it necessary for him to.  He shot a low percentage on threes because he BARELY took them, it wasn't a part of his game for the majority of his career he'd take less than 1 three a game or maybe 2 at most.  

But when his team schemed for him to shoot threes he was very efficient. 

in the 89-90 season, he was asked to shoot more threes for the good of the team.  He did so and shot 37% from three point land and 52% from the field...

The next season he went back to not shooting threes much as he didn't need to. 

When he made his comeback and was 'admittedly' out of shape basketball wise he parked at the three more often than previously and shot 50% from there.  

The next season he came into the season in much better shape as well as adding a three point shot to his game as it opened up the floor more and he was getting further along in age so he added it. 

He shot 42% from three that season.  

The next season he continued working the three into his game shooting the most threes per game he had in an entire season previously and shot 37%.  

The next season,. intending to be his last, the Bulls had a very complete team and he could operate again from mid range and pass it around the perimeter while making open mid range shots for himself.  His three pointers per game went back to shooting maybe 1 three a game and his percentage dropped again.   

But MJ showed pretty clearly that when he HAD to add the three point shot to his game and take them for the offense to run as it was intended, he was VERY efficient from there. 

Edited by Majesty, June 05, 2015 - 03:55 PM.

"Bryant had come to rage against the idea that Howard's clownish disposition could overtake the locker room, the Lakers' culture, and had warned Howard that he would never, ever let it happen." 

#63 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Hall Of Fame

• 8,982 posts
  • Name:Tyler
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The mamba

Posted June 05, 2015 - 03:59 PM

Maybe Oscar in this group. Maybe Bird.

And we will have to add in LeBron when we look back 10+ years from now.

Fans never really appreciate the here and now and tend to get nostalgic for yesteryear.

But legends are legends. Some folks just take time to appreciate

Prime for Prime... Nah LeBron doesn't touch Kobe.

"Friends come and go but banners hang forever."  - Kobe Bryant

#64 kidpolean

kidpolean

Superstar

• 8,093 posts
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:KB24 or 8

Posted June 05, 2015 - 04:17 PM

Alright let's see....
MJ's game was never predicated on three point shooting.   He only did it when the team deemed it necessary for him to.  He shot a low percentage on threes because he BARELY took them, it wasn't a part of his game for the majority of his career he'd take less than 1 three a game or maybe 2 at most.  
But when his team schemed for him to shoot threes he was very efficient. 
in the 89-90 season, he was asked to shoot more threes for the good of the team.  He did so and shot 37% from three point land and 52% from the field...
The next season he went back to not shooting threes much as he didn't need to. 
When he made his comeback and was 'admittedly' out of shape basketball wise he parked at the three more often than previously and shot 50% from there.  
The next season he came into the season in much better shape as well as adding a three point shot to his game as it opened up the floor more and he was getting further along in age so he added it. 
He shot 42% from three that season.  
The next season he continued working the three into his game shooting the most threes per game he had in an entire season previously and shot 37%.  

The next season,. intending to be his last, the Bulls had a very complete team and he could operate again from mid range and pass it around the perimeter while making open mid range shots for himself.  His three pointers per game went back to shooting maybe 1 three a game and his percentage dropped again.   
But MJ showed pretty clearly that when he HAD to add the three point shot to his game and take them for the offense to run as it was intended, he was VERY efficient from there. 

that's a fair point and as I said I think it's close but imo I think LeBron has slightly better range on his shot. MJ is far superior at almost every other aspect of the game so it's not like I'm saying LeBron is a better player.

Who would you say is better from 3?
  • Majesty likes this

#65 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• Gameday
  • 54,315 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted June 05, 2015 - 04:35 PM

that's a fair point and as I said I think it's close but imo I think LeBron has slightly better range on his shot. MJ is far superior at almost every other aspect of the game so it's not like I'm saying LeBron is a better player.

Who would you say is better from 3?

I'd say MJ.  Because LeBron for all of it only shoots 35% from three.  His best season from three was 40% while MJ's best was 50% but that was the comeback year so let's say 42% from three was MJ's best.  

Aside from that LeBron when three is necessity has shot 37, 36 and then the rest was 35 and below. 

LeBron has Jordan on necessity and volume of shots from three he has to take and be successful with.  But Jordan has LeBron on efficiency when it's implemented.  

There's enough evidence to take from MJ's play that if he had wanted and when he wanted to implement the three into his game, he was more efficient at it than LeBron was.  But LeBron and the era he plays in has taken more threes and been solid with more(if 35% is solid for a SF).  

So at the end of the day it comes down to this question.

If you had to leave someone wide open for a three pointer. Would you rather leabe Jordan or LeBron?  I think 9 out of 10 times the answer would be LeBron.  

Edited by Majesty, June 05, 2015 - 04:36 PM.

• kidpolean and NomisR like this

"Bryant had come to rage against the idea that Howard's clownish disposition could overtake the locker room, the Lakers' culture, and had warned Howard that he would never, ever let it happen." 

#66 8224KB

8224KB

Rookie

• 175 posts
  • Name:8224KB
  • Fan Since:1984
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted June 06, 2015 - 09:59 AM

Despite LeBron's strength and size he still hasn't developed dominating post play. One on one in the post with his back to the basket Kobe can still score over any SG or SF in the league.

#67 lonlyamongus

lonlyamongus

Off The Bench

• 2,232 posts
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Eddie Jones, Kobe

Posted June 06, 2015 - 06:01 PM

that is in comparison to Lebron, and Jordan toward his 6 Championship was known more for his fade-away than his other abilities.

MJ was not a pure shooter

-------------------------------------------------------------

There no pure haters or pure fans.  It's just the ignorant and the observant.  The pure haters and pure fans are the ignorant, while the rest are the less observant or the more observant. 

#68 Mr Terrific

Mr Terrific

dwight got traded for the ends of the white🍞& an 🍊

• 8,740 posts
  • Name:Prince George
  • Fan Since:2014
  • Fav. Laker:Blimey!

Posted June 23, 2015 - 02:44 PM

anigif_enhanced-buzz-25053-1361162180-3.

• Majesty likes this

FACEBOOK MR TERRIFIC HD Bottom Line Is We're Gonna Win With You Or Without You And If You Don't Get That, Then It's Best You Go Somewhere Else--Dean Smith

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Shaq, Kobe, Lebron

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users