67 replies to this topic

#41 Tensai

Tensai

Superstar

• 8,291 posts

Posted June 03, 2015 - 08:07 PM

This is fun to read: http://www.nba.com/n...eak_070323.html

By Dave McMenamin

By scoring 60 points in a 121-119 win over Memphis on Thursday, Kobe Bryant became the first player since Michael Jordan in April of 1987 to score 50-plus points in three straight games.

At this rate, Bryant has a chance to become the greatest scorer the NBA has ever seen.

Let that marinate for a minute.

The G.O.A.T. of the NBA. Top of the totem pole. Best of the bunch.

Bryant has the opportunity to be better than Wilt with his 50-point single-season average. More accomplished than Kareem and his 38,387 total points. Even more prolific than MJ who dropped 63 points in the playoffs and caused another guy who wasn’t too shabby at scoring himself, Larry Bird, to say it was like playing against James Naismith, er, God, disguised as Michael Jordan.

Mike Bresnahan of the Los Angeles Times reports, "He'd just heard someone in the Lakers' locker room say he needed 118 points Friday against the New Orleans Hornets to tie Wilt Chamberlain for most points ever in a four-game span. He weighed the comment with a slight smile, shook his head, and buried his face back under a towel."

John DeShazier of The Times-Picayune writes, "We don't have to like Kobe Bryant to love what we're seeing, don't have to acknowledge him as one of the greats to understand we're seeing a once-in-a-lifetime show, don't have to be students of the game to understand class is in session and Bryant is a professor, schooling kindergartners."

Ross Siler of the L.A. Daily News makes this observation, "If Kobe Bryant can step on the court and score 50 points as if on command and play 47 minutes in the second game of a back-to-back set, then the greatest show in basketball might have a longer run than expected. "

Meanwhile, Bloomberg.com's Dan Bollerman notes that "Los Angeles Lakers All-Star guard Kobe Bryant joined Wilt Chamberlain as the only players in National Basketball Association history to score at least 50 points in at least four straight games."

Finally, Kevin Ding writes in the Orange County Register, "If those old Kobe Bryant comparisons to Michael Jordan were too numerous and premature, perhaps this is the point in Bryant’s career when the discussions should resume in earnestness."

John DeShazier of the New Orleans Times-Picayune says the denizens of the Delta are fortunate to have the Kobe buzz in the New Orleans Hive tonight, "Because the deal we get tonight still is a pretty sweet one. First off, the extraterrestrial that is Kobe has landed and if nothing else, he's worth the price of admission a few times over."

Darnell Mayberry of The Oklahoman notes that Bryant's three-game tear bloomed from the one thing Kobe despised most: losing, "The Lakers' star guard helplessly watched the Nuggets throw garbage-time alley-oops that only added embarrassment to what ultimately resulted in the team's seventh straight loss and 13th defeat in 16 games.

Mike Bresnahan of the L.A. Times writes, "Just when you think you've seen it all from Bryant over the last year or so — an 81-point game last season, a share-the-ball mind-set this season — he jumped into history again with three consecutive games of 50 or more points. The big question that nobody can answer: Will it continue?"

Meanwhile, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution's Sekou Smith is changing up his postseason hardware opinions, "Kobe went bonkers again (more in a minute), the NCAA Tourney games were sick, and a late night call from Tyronn Lue has forced me to rethink my MVP stance."

Sure Kobe is great, but what about his teammates? Steve Springer writes in the L.A. Times, "Mychal Thompson isn't about to compare this Laker team with the squads he played on. Kobe Bryant is probably the only current Laker who could have started on the 1987 and 1988 championship squads on which Thompson played."

Finally, Ross Siler writes in the Daily Breeze, "Who would have guessed when Kobe Bryant made the jump to the NBA out of Lower Merion (Pa.) High back in 1996 that he would redefine March Madness all these years later?"

• ace™ likes this

fXlFKv8.gif

#42 RobBlake

RobBlake

Starter

• 4,450 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, Fisher, Magic

Posted June 03, 2015 - 10:22 PM

i can't say magic was as talented as kobe overall with a straight face... kobe could do every single thing on the court

ap1.png

#43 gque24

gque24

Starter

• 4,683 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:KOBE

Posted June 04, 2015 - 06:40 AM

such as

So explain his other statements that contradict them then? Trollmaster

Never Wrong Always Right Like Freeway Exits!!

#44 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 12,286 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted June 04, 2015 - 06:42 AM

It does suck that Kobe spent 3 years of his physical best with a bad team but I feel its something he needed.  W/o that 3 year stretch I don't think he humbled enough to lead in 09 and 10.  Most of the other guys went through playing with trash early in their careers.  His was kinda the revesre

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#45 RobBlake

RobBlake

Starter

• 4,450 posts

Posted June 04, 2015 - 12:38 PM

It does suck that Kobe spent 3 years of his physical best with a bad team but I feel its something he needed.  W/o that 3 year stretch I don't think he humbled enough to lead in 09 and 10.  Most of the other guys went through playing with trash early in their careers.  His was kinda the revesre

actually, i think he was humbled when he was benched as a rookie. He's stated he's had the twelfth man mentality ever since 

ap1.png

#46 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 12,286 posts
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted June 04, 2015 - 02:05 PM

As a player sure but not as a leader.  Kobe didn't become a leader until after getting his ass kicked a few years.  2009 and 2010 are probably the only years where we got prime Kobe and leader Kobe all in one.  

actually, i think he was humbled when he was benched as a rookie. He's stated he's had the twelfth man mentality ever since 

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#47 bigvee

bigvee

Legend

• 12,592 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Samaki Walker

Posted June 04, 2015 - 02:50 PM

As a player sure but not as a leader. Kobe didn't become a leader until after getting his ass kicked a few years. 2009 and 2010 are probably the only years where we got prime Kobe and leader Kobe all in one.

2008 more so I'd argue
  • Jody Smokes likes this

#48 PhillyLaker24

PhillyLaker24

Starter

• 5,186 posts
  • Name:Joseph
  • Fan Since:2001
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted June 04, 2015 - 03:09 PM

There was a poll on sportsnation about this and I was surprised that Kobe ended up winning. Just figured ESPN had indoctrinated enough of this generation that Bron is the best thing since slice bread.

•     likes this

All I want for Christmas is a Laker girl :D

• 43,917 posts

Posted June 04, 2015 - 03:18 PM

^ Goes to show there's some hope for humanity after all.
  • Tensai, Majesty, PhillyLaker24 and 1 other like this

yo.

#50 TNLakerfanKB24

TNLakerfanKB24

Rookie

• 148 posts
  • Name:Josh Brewer
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted June 04, 2015 - 10:30 PM

LBJ to me is in the mold of MJ and Kobe just less aggressive and more passive. But he is good defensively, plays in the post, and can shoot from anywhere on the court probably slightly better than MJ could.

I think you may be underrating Magic a little though

LeBron and shoot in the same sentence. Right...

Did you really just say LeBron could shoot better than MJ????

LeBron took years to develop a DECENT jumper. The guy was garbage for 8 years shoot j's

Edited by TNLakerfanKB24, June 04, 2015 - 10:32 PM.

• epicwolf and lonlyamongus like this

#51 lonlyamongus

lonlyamongus

Off The Bench

• 2,232 posts
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Eddie Jones, Kobe

Posted June 05, 2015 - 12:24 PM

LeBron took years to develop a DECENT jumper. The guy was garbage for 8 years shoot j's

LebRon is a human truck, mj is a pure shooter. There shouldn't be a comparison.

-------------------------------------------------------------

There no pure haters or pure fans.  It's just the ignorant and the observant.  The pure haters and pure fans are the ignorant, while the rest are the less observant or the more observant. 

#52 8224KB

8224KB

Rookie

• 175 posts
  • Name:8224KB
  • Fan Since:1984
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted June 05, 2015 - 01:06 PM

LeBron has better stats but that has come at a cost. We have all watched with confusion as James has passed the ball rather than take shots with the clock counting down. LeBron plays it safe. People also overstate how much Kobe needed Shaq vs James doing it alone. James has changed teams twice now and taken less money to ensure he was playing with the best possible rosters. Teams have not been authentically built around James. LeBron has solicited and played the system to get the right people around him. Kobe has stayed in one place for 19yrs and never compromised his pay, personality, desires, or etc. Sure Kobe had Shaq, Gasol, and Bynum but LeBron has had Wade, Bosh, Irving, Allen, Love, and a laundry list of supporting players like J.R Smith, Miller, Haslem, Anderson, Battier, etc, etc, etc.

#53 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,704 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999

Posted June 05, 2015 - 01:30 PM

MJ, Kobe, LeBron = Scorers

Miller Time, Ray Allen, Chef Curry = Shooters
  • 8224KB likes this

Pau Gasol is GONE

#54 RobBlake

RobBlake

Starter

• 4,450 posts

Posted June 05, 2015 - 01:48 PM

lebron a better shooter than MJ? lmao

ap1.png

#55 epicwolf

epicwolf

#1 Clipper hater #1 Raider hater

• 3,760 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Mamba

Posted June 05, 2015 - 01:53 PM

I don't even call his shooting right now decent.  Every time LeBron prepare to make a jump shot or a 3 pointer, everybody is preparing to grab the rebound. Even Lebron prepared to grab his own brick shot.  Almost every analyst even said that in order to slow down LeBron, make him shoot jump shot.  Sure he shoot a little better than before but that doesn't say much. I can atleast admit that he did develop a nice post game but In terms of jump shooting, please.

#56 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• Gameday
  • 54,335 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted June 05, 2015 - 02:21 PM

The majority of LeBron's offense comes from driving to the basket. He is selective about his jump shots but picks his spots well. It's a testament to his smart way of playing as opposed to his shooting. If the Majority of his offense came from mid range and three he'd probably shoot 42-43% but it doesn't and he keeps a high percentage on his jumper because he picks the right times to use it and it's efficient. If he had to shoot from there 300 more times per season than I'd probably drop but thus far he doesn't have to.

"Bryant had come to rage against the idea that Howard's clownish disposition could overtake the locker room, the Lakers' culture, and had warned Howard that he would never, ever let it happen." 

#57 Lightsoutwilly

Lightsoutwilly

Off The Bench

• 2,200 posts
  • Name:William
  • Fan Since:1994

Posted June 05, 2015 - 02:36 PM

81 points
62 points and outscoring the other team through 3 quarters
11 x 40+ points in a row
4 x 50+ points in a row
10 x 50+ points in a season
12 x 3 pointers in a game

Just some of the numbers. Not counting the clutch shots, and quarter-long take overs in other games. This is Kobe's prime.

Idiots will easily forget those things he did... Specially ESPN

#58 LakeShow1o1

LakeShow1o1

Superstar

• 7,248 posts
  • Name:The Black Mamba Will Rise
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted June 05, 2015 - 02:42 PM

The Night Kobe had 62 after 3 quaters... he easily could have gotten 85+ the way he was shooting and scoring the ball.

#59 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 16,680 posts
  • Name:Julius Jordan
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted June 05, 2015 - 02:44 PM

#60 KidRN

KidRN

Hall Of Fame

• 8,446 posts
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:KB24 or 8

Posted June 05, 2015 - 02:44 PM

MJ was the better shooter but I think LeBron has more range on his jumper and better shot selection. Mid range is really the only place that MJ was superior to LeBron at shooting wise. I'd say they are pretty close from three and LeBron is better around the rim.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Shaq, Kobe, Lebron

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users