#1 RickyStarFox

RickyStarFox

Off The Bench

• 1,502 posts
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted June 02, 2015 - 10:50 PM

http://espn.go.com/s...es-their-primes

Not really much of a surprise. Interesting part is most people would agree Shaq played a majority of his career with pre prime Kobe.  From 96-04.

Here's what the nation says

Which player was better in his respective prime?

61%
Kobe Bryant

39%
LeBron James

Edited by RickyStarFox, June 02, 2015 - 10:50 PM.

• Majesty likes this

#2 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• Gameday
  • 54,315 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted June 02, 2015 - 10:51 PM

Anyone would/should.  That was the most gifted offensive player of all time as well as one of the league's better defenders. 

• pkflyers and RickyStarFox like this

"Bryant had come to rage against the idea that Howard's clownish disposition could overtake the locker room, the Lakers' culture, and had warned Howard that he would never, ever let it happen." 

#3 LakeShow1o1

LakeShow1o1

Superstar

• 7,172 posts
  • Name:The Black Mamba Will Rise
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted June 02, 2015 - 10:54 PM

I'm blessed to have been able to grow up watching a prime Kobe.  Was still very very young during the 3-peat days but am fortunate to have tuned in for everything afterwards.

#4 RickyStarFox

RickyStarFox

Off The Bench

• 1,502 posts

Posted June 02, 2015 - 10:58 PM

Anyone would/should.  That was the most gifted offensive player of all time as well as one of the league's better defenders.

Exactly, the talent as well they both played against is like night and day. Especially out East.

Jalen says it best in this video.

@ 11:25

Bron's biggest comp was Paul Pierce and DWade and one of those guys he Teammed up with to win championships.

• UNLABORED FLAWLESS,     and Majesty like this

#5 kidpolean

kidpolean

Superstar

• 8,159 posts
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:KB24 or 8

Posted June 02, 2015 - 11:30 PM

I think that people overrate whatever player dominates when they are growing up watching the sport, that's why so many teens put LeBron on Jordan's level and above Kobe. I feel like I was at an age where I sort of grew up with both of these guys.

Imo it's not even close and I know a lot of people will call me crazy and start talking about stats and stuff like that but in my eyes LeBron just lacks something and I don't really know what it is. Kobe and Jordan seemed to be feared way more than Bron is. There was just a feeling that I got when watching MJ and Kobe, like I'm watching greatness or something, that I don't get with LeBron. Maybe it is the lack of competition he's faced in the playoffs, or it may just be his passive play style.

Maybe I'm biased...but I've seen more of Brons career than Jordan so Idk.
  • LakeShow805, Navidballack, NomisR and 1 other like this

#6 Tensai

Tensai

Superstar

• 8,197 posts

Posted June 02, 2015 - 11:37 PM

^ That difference is aggressiveness. Kobe and MJ will attack you until you are down and knocked the [expletive] out. Lebron will penetrate once or twice in a quarter and start passing around, lowering his tempo (aka stat padding)

Just looking at how the defense is powerless against Harden's penetration and his benefit from calls, you can say if Kobe had his prime years now, he would absolutely destroy the competition. There would be no competition. He would average 38ppg or 40ppg easily. Westbrook is a watered down version of that Kobe and even he butchered the league in post allstar term. Guess what Kobe would do.

fXlFKv8.gif

#7 Wilt Chamberneezy

Wilt Chamberneezy

Rookie

• 948 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Shaq, Kobe, Fisher,Fox, Horry

Posted June 03, 2015 - 01:32 AM

Shaq picking Kobe over Lebron in their prime... I can dig it

•     and Julien like this

#8 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 7,062 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted June 03, 2015 - 05:53 AM

IMO doesn't make up for the way things ended mostly because of his ego and childishness.

And his Tell me how my A$$ tastes rap.

His opinion means less and less to me.

Wonder if he's seen that Ahmad Rashad interview where Kobe says he flat out didn't like Shaq.

Awful work habits and goofy attitude towards training and winning.

BTW that interview w AR is maybe the best thing on kobe ever...better than spikes and better than kobe doc imo.

Kudos to Shaq though for staying relevant in a big way post career with his broadcasting career and high profile commercial appearances

Praying for  1. Some Cohesion (Ill fitting parts with young bucks, new guys, and those playing for next contracts may muck things up all season) 2. Better Coaching, No More Tanking (Last season was more of the latter but not sure how much of the former we can count on. Walton with something to prove this season as much as any Laker player) 3. Rookie Watch (Hoping Lonzo outshines his daddy (ROTY??), and Kuzma finds minutes and makes a push for all rook 2nd team)

READY FOR SEASON!!!

#9 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 23,301 posts

Posted June 03, 2015 - 05:59 AM

Lebron is great in his own right but nobody could do what Kobe did on the court in terms of scoring. Even Jordan.

One of a kind player. That guy hit shots over triple teams. He was weirdly skilled

I'd say lebron is still similar to magic in how he was great, or Hakeem.

But he wasn't like Kobe or Jordan those were 2 of a kind
Posted Image

#10 TNLakerfanKB24

TNLakerfanKB24

Rookie

• 148 posts
  • Name:Josh Brewer
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted June 03, 2015 - 07:35 AM

Lebron is great in his own right but nobody could do what Kobe did on the court in terms of scoring. Even Jordan.

One of a kind player. That guy hit shots over triple teams. He was weirdly skilled

I'd say lebron is still similar to magic in how he was great, or Hakeem.

But he wasn't like Kobe or Jordan those were 2 of a kind

The thing is it's not weirdly skilled, he was just so head and shoulders above the rest, skilled. He could get a shot up anywhere on the court no matter how many tried to stop him. Painted a masterpiece on the court night in and night out. I wish there was a way to see how many shots he took with a hand directly in his face.

#11 bigvee

bigvee

Legend

• 12,566 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Samaki Walker

Posted June 03, 2015 - 08:05 AM

Well yeah, I'd choose the guy I got a 3 peat with over anyone else as well.
  • Jody Smokes likes this

#12 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 7,062 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted June 03, 2015 - 08:06 AM

Didnt Shaq also say Wade was better than Kobe when Shaq was traded to Miami?

Little help remembering please

Praying for  1. Some Cohesion (Ill fitting parts with young bucks, new guys, and those playing for next contracts may muck things up all season) 2. Better Coaching, No More Tanking (Last season was more of the latter but not sure how much of the former we can count on. Walton with something to prove this season as much as any Laker player) 3. Rookie Watch (Hoping Lonzo outshines his daddy (ROTY??), and Kuzma finds minutes and makes a push for all rook 2nd team)

READY FOR SEASON!!!

#13 GlenRice

GlenRice

Rookie

• 11 posts
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Glen Rice

Posted June 03, 2015 - 08:12 AM

Well yeah, I'd choose the guy I got a 3 peat with over anyone else as well.

Yeah I'm in agreement with this comment. Not too surprising for Shaq to say this

If you are a big stats guy, check out FanDuel to make some $. Here is a referral link if interested, if not then let's just stick to Laker basketball.

https://www.fanduel....=jpadula&cnl=da

#14 RickyStarFox

RickyStarFox

Off The Bench

• 1,502 posts

Posted June 03, 2015 - 08:43 AM

Didnt Shaq also say Wade was better than Kobe when Shaq was traded to Miami?

Little help remembering please

Come on man, that was literally right after their split. So much venom between them at that time and it didn't really stop until Kobe won two without him , then all of a sudden Shaq had mad respect for Kobe.

He has no agenda against LBJ to my knowledge, seems like he spoke from the heart here.

#15 Anansi1171

Anansi1171

Rookie

• 231 posts
  • Fan Since:1994

Posted June 03, 2015 - 09:35 AM

This is why Colin Cowherd is such a BS windbag. Had this screed a while back when some piece of Kobe retirement news came out saying in effect that he can't remember any great or defining moments in his career.

You have to wonder if there's just this bubble that surrounds Greenwich CT that branches out to Miami or Cleveland or wherever The Bron plays.
  •     likes this

#16 erfolk

erfolk

Sixth Man

• 3,069 posts
  • Name:Lewis
  • Fan Since:Birth:10-31-86
  • Fav. Laker:All Bout The Name On The Front

Posted June 03, 2015 - 09:54 AM

^ That difference is aggressiveness. Kobe and MJ will attack you until you are down and knocked the [expletive] out. Lebron will penetrate once or twice in a quarter and start passing around, lowering his tempo (aka stat padding)

Just looking at how the defense is powerless against Harden's penetration and his benefit from calls, you can say if Kobe had his prime years now, he would absolutely destroy the competition. There would be no competition. He would average 38ppg or 40ppg easily. Westbrook is a watered down version of that Kobe and even he butchered the league in post allstar term. Guess what Kobe would do.

That's why imo LeBron is more Magic then Jordan. He makes his teammates better. But you have an argument both ways.

#17 Chick Stern

Chick Stern

Rookie

• 824 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Big 4: West/Kareem/Magic/Kobe

Posted June 03, 2015 - 10:18 AM

That's why imo LeBron is more Magic then Jordan. He makes his teammates better. But you have an argument both ways.

erfolk, I watched Magic Johnson. I knew Magic Johnson. Magic Johnson was a hero of mine. LeBron is no Magic Johnson.

Magic was a killer competitor with a smile. LeBron is a hell of a player, but he was nowhere near Magic.

and for the record, LeBron really doesn't make his teammates better. Their stats repeatedly decline when he is a teammate.

In contrast, almost anyone who played at least two years with Kobe played their best while with him.

"You can't get much done in life if you only work on the days when you feel good."

--Jerry West

#18 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 12,154 posts
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted June 03, 2015 - 10:31 AM

He does make his teammates better.  Making them better isn't about stats.  Lebron controls a lot of the offensive flow so its a given your stat line is going to decline with him but Bosh and Wade were their most efficient playing with him.  Also it's best to steer away from the old school vs the new school player argument b/c in reality there isn't a thing Magic could do that Lebron probably can't do better at this point and Magic played his entire career with HOFers and a man that is arguably the GOAT in KAJ....entire career. 

When you can take JR smith and Iman Shumpert, gimpy Kyrie and Tristan Thompson to the Finals you make a team better. 

erfolk, I watched Magic Johnson. I knew Magic Johnson. Magic Johnson was a hero of mine. LeBron is no Magic Johnson.

Magic was a killer competitor with a smile. LeBron is a hell of a player, but he was nowhere near Magic.

and for the record, LeBron really doesn't make his teammates better. Their stats repeatedly decline when he is a teammate.

In contrast, almost anyone who played at least two years with Kobe played their best while with him.

• kball likes this

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#19 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 12,154 posts
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted June 03, 2015 - 10:32 AM

Shaq is a media troll and he does stuff for attention.  Last year he said he wished he never left Orlando lol.  He just does things to troll the readers and listeners.  There is no telling how Shaq really feels about anything lol.  It wouldn't make sense to pick against Kobe considering they won 3 rings together. 

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#20 PuigNotLate

PuigNotLate

GIRAFFES

• 3,581 posts
  • Name:Mychal
  • Fav. Laker:James Worthy

Posted June 03, 2015 - 11:02 AM

Shaq is a media troll and he does stuff for attention.  Last year he said he wished he never left Orlando lol.  He just does things to troll the readers and listeners.  There is no telling how Shaq really feels about anything lol.  It wouldn't make sense to pick against Kobe considering they won 3 rings together. 

I agree. He's a big flip flopper.

He said Phil was the best coach he played for, then he said Riley was. He said Kobe was the best, then he said Wade was.

Dude can't make up his mind.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Shaq, Kobe, Lebron

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users