2015-16 Offseason: Cap situation, available exceptions, salaries, cap holds

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 dazz

dazz

• 1,197 posts

Posted May 23, 2015 - 06:43 PM

POPULAR

This is something I wanted to do last season. The idea is to keep track of our salary situation, available exceptions and all that CBA related stuff to be able to project realistic trades or free agent additions.

The main idea is to calculate the maximum potential cap space available, and available exceptions.

It's still far too soon but I guess it won't hurt to have it here and revisit it after the draft.

Salary cap: $70,000,000

Salary committed:

Kobe Bryant..................................: $ 25,000,000

Roy Hibbert..................................: $ 15,592,216

Lou Williams.................................: $  7,000,000

Nick Young...................................: $  5,219,169

D'Angelo Russell.............................: $  5,103,120

Julius Randle................................: $  3,132,240

Brandon Bass.................................: $  3,000,000

Ryan Kelly...................................: $  1,724,250

Larry Nance..................................: $  1,155,600

Robert Sacre.................................: $    981,348

Jordan Clarkson..............................: $    845,059

Tarik Black..................................: $    845,059

Jabari Brown.................................: $    845,059

Anthony Brown................................: $    700,000

Robert Upshaw................................: $    525,093

Roster Spots: 15 / 15

Cap holds:

D'Angelo Russell, 1st round, 2nd draft pick..: $  4,252,600 Signed

Larry Nance, 1st round, 27th draft pick......: $    963,000 Signed

Incomplete roster charges (0 * $525,093).....: $          0

Rest of players:

Anthony Brown: Second rounder, typically signed for the minimum, no impact on cap. Signed

Tarik Black: $845,059, Team option Signed

Jabari Brown: $1M. Team option. assumed to be renounced Signed

Robert Sacre: $1M. Team option. assumed to be renounced Option exercised

Wayne Ellington: UFA. assumed to be renounced To Brooklin

Ed Davis: $1.100.602. Player option. To Portland

Ronnie Price: UFA. assumed to be renounced To Phoenix

Wesley Johnson: UFA. assumed to be renounced To Clippers (LOL)

Jordan Hill: 9M team option, is assumed to be declined. Cap hold: 13M Renounced

Jeremy Lin: UFA. assumed to be renounced. Cap hold: 12.5M To Charlotte

Carlos Boozer: UFA. assumed to be renounced. Cap hold: 20.6M Renounced (To Indiana)

Steve Nash: UFA. Cap hold: 14.5M Renounced

EXCEPTIONS:

We are currently well above the salary cap including the free agent cap holds. Granted we'll go bellow the cap after we renounce Nash, Lin, Boozer, Hill, even if we re-sign some of them for much less, at some point we're pretty much guaranteed to go below the cap. That means that we will have the room mid level exception:

ROOM MID-LEVEL EXCEPTION: $2,814,000 - Max two seasons (exception doesn't count against the cap)*

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Total salary + cap holds + exceptions*: $71,668,213

ABOVE THE CAP: $1,668,213

No Cap space left to sign free agents

Edited by dazz, July 11, 2015 - 03:11 AM.

• FranklinPeanuts, GCMD, Game and 18 others like this

hsl17b.jpg

#2 Lightsoutwilly

Lightsoutwilly

Off The Bench

• 2,200 posts
  • Name:William
  • Fan Since:1994
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted May 23, 2015 - 07:39 PM

Good job putting this together and thank you for taking the time..

#3 Batz

Batz

God dammit...

• 7,834 posts
  • Name:Ahmed
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted May 23, 2015 - 07:42 PM

Thanks a ton man. We really appreciate this.

#4 dazz

dazz

• 1,197 posts

Posted May 23, 2015 - 07:44 PM

No problem guys.

This CBA stuff can get confusing, so if anyone notices something I'm missing, any corrections or suggestions are of course welcome

hsl17b.jpg

#5 lakerfan98

lakerfan98

Vice President of Interneting Operations

• 3,405 posts
  • Name:Ryan
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted May 24, 2015 - 08:58 AM

http://www.spotrac.c...rs/tarik-black/

Thanks for posting this bud.  Are you sure about Black not being under contract for next season?  Some sites have him as a free agent and some like the one above say it's a 2 year deal.  Maybe because Houston cut him it nullified the second year?

#6 dazz

dazz

• 1,197 posts

Posted May 24, 2015 - 09:14 AM

http://www.spotrac.c...rs/tarik-black/

Thanks for posting this bud.  Are you sure about Black not being under contract for next season?  Some sites have him as a free agent and some like the one above say it's a 2 year deal.  Maybe because Houston cut him it nullified the second year?

We claimed him off waivers so I guess we acquired him on the original terms of his contract with Houston.

Apparently next season's $845.059 are not guaranteed as stated on that link you posted (see "contract notes") so next season is a team option. This site agrees

http://www.basketbal...rs-team-salary/

Thanks for pointing it out, I'll correct that

• lakerfan98 likes this

hsl17b.jpg

#7 lakerfan98

lakerfan98

Vice President of Interneting Operations

• 3,405 posts
  • Name:Ryan
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted May 24, 2015 - 09:23 AM

We would be fools not to pick up the team options on all our young players, even Sacre.  900k for a 7 footer we could potentially trade for a second round pick is a no brainer.  As are Clarkson, Brown, and Black.  Throw them into the fire again and see if their improvement justifies a new contract.  I'd love to lock Clarkson into a long term deal mid-season knock on wood. 

#8 dazz

dazz

• 1,197 posts

Posted May 24, 2015 - 09:42 AM

We would be fools not to pick up the team options on all our young players, even Sacre.  900k for a 7 footer we could potentially trade for a second round pick is a no brainer.  As are Clarkson, Brown, and Black.  Throw them into the fire again and see if their improvement justifies a new contract.  I'd love to lock Clarkson into a long term deal mid-season knock on wood. 

Totally agree. The cap hit for those players is quite small, anyway

However, and I probably should have clarified this, the main idea is to calculate the maximum potential cap space available.

It's important to note that:

Players like Brown or Black or any unrestricted free agents without bird rights can be renounced to free up some cap space, then resigned after the cap space is used in free agency using the minimum exception. So they would make the same money, but the season count for bird rights starts over. That's what the Lakers tried to do with Kendall Marshall, but he was picked off waivers.

So it's a risk to renounce them, and most likely won't happen, but this is all just to get an idea of what's the max we can spend in free agency.

Of course we could also pick those options and trade them for picks, getting future assets while freeing up some cap space, or pack them in a trade including Young, Randle, our own picks... many options, but that's all besides the point.

So to clarify, wherever it reads "assumed to be renounced", it's not a prediction or even an expectation, just assumed renounced for calculation purposes

•     and lakerfan98 like this

hsl17b.jpg

#9 dazz

dazz

• 1,197 posts

Posted July 01, 2015 - 04:56 PM

Update: Lakers lock in Robert Sacre's salary for upcoming season

Not much of a change, but updated anyway. 22.9M left, maybe 23 or 24M depending on the final cap figure, which will be set on July 8th

• Game likes this

hsl17b.jpg

#10 dazz

dazz

• 1,197 posts

Posted July 05, 2015 - 02:58 PM

Updated with Hibbert's & Williams' contracts.

We're now out of cap space, only 2.8M left from the R-MLE and minimum contracts

hsl17b.jpg

#11 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• Gameday
  • 54,315 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted July 05, 2015 - 04:59 PM

So essentially waiving Sacre from his non-guaranteed and trading Kelly in the Hibbert deal essentially frees up 2.7 million in space which allows for the Williams trade to happen without having Hibbert waive his trade kicker.  

Yeah.. seems simple enough, I don't see why Indiana wouldn't take Kelly in that deal. 

"Bryant had come to rage against the idea that Howard's clownish disposition could overtake the locker room, the Lakers' culture, and had warned Howard that he would never, ever let it happen." 

#12 dazz

dazz

• 1,197 posts

Posted July 05, 2015 - 05:12 PM

So essentially waiving Sacre from his non-guaranteed and trading Kelly in the Hibbert deal essentially frees up 2.7 million in space which allows for the Williams trade to happen without having Hibbert waive his trade kicker.  

Yeah.. seems simple enough, I don't see why Indiana wouldn't take Kelly in that deal. 

Well, not really.

First off, you made me realise I made a mistake by adding Sacre to the guaranteed salary list, not because we might renounce him, but because since he'll be signed using the minimum exception, we can wait until we're over the cap (cap space all used up) to sign him. That doesn't mean we save all of his $981,348 because we need to add an incomplete roster charge until we're over the cap.

So removing Sacre from the guaranteed list (should have never been there) saves us $981,348 - $525,093 (IRC=Incomplete Roster Charge) = $525,093

As for Kelly, we would need to know the exact terms of the deal, but as a rule of thumb, it's the same thing: savings = his salary - IRC, so $1,724,250 - $525,093 = $1,199,157

So no savings with Sacre, only 1.2M if we part with Kelly. I'll update the original post now

EDIT: As it is now, with a cap projected at 67.1M we just overspent $152K. The cap is probably gonna be in the 68 -69M range, so we could take Hibbert's trade kicker without including Kelly

Edited by dazz, July 05, 2015 - 05:32 PM.

hsl17b.jpg

#13 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• Gameday
  • 54,315 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted July 05, 2015 - 05:56 PM

Well, not really.

First off, you made me realise I made a mistake by adding Sacre to the guaranteed salary list, not because we might renounce him, but because since he'll be signed using the minimum exception, we can wait until we're over the cap (cap space all used up) to sign him. That doesn't mean we save all of his $981,348 because we need to add an incomplete roster charge until we're over the cap.

So removing Sacre from the guaranteed list (should have never been there) saves us $981,348 - $525,093 (IRC=Incomplete Roster Charge) = $525,093

As for Kelly, we would need to know the exact terms of the deal, but as a rule of thumb, it's the same thing: savings = his salary - IRC, so $1,724,250 - $525,093 = $1,199,157

So no savings with Sacre, only 1.2M if we part with Kelly. I'll update the original post now

EDIT: As it is now, with a cap projected at 67.1M we just overspent $152K. The cap is probably gonna be in the 68 -69M range, so we could take Hibbert's trade kicker without including Kelly

Pretty much so we'll have to hear where the cap rises to :) 

But the thing is, Sacre I think was a team option for the 900k.  We accepted it and he's officially back with us for now. 

"Bryant had come to rage against the idea that Howard's clownish disposition could overtake the locker room, the Lakers' culture, and had warned Howard that he would never, ever let it happen." 

#14 dazz

dazz

• 1,197 posts

Posted July 05, 2015 - 06:07 PM

Pretty much so we'll have to hear where the cap rises to :) 

But the thing is, Sacre I think was a team option for the 900k.  We accepted it and he's officially back with us for now.

Hmmm, yeah, actually if we used all the cap space and had to renounce Sacre, then sign him using the min exception (losing his Bird rights) someone else could grab him off waivers (read Kendall Marshall) which would mean we couldn't guarantee to bring him back. So I guess you're right. I'll edit back the first post  :wall:

Thanks  :beers2:

Edited by dazz, July 05, 2015 - 06:07 PM.

• Majesty likes this

hsl17b.jpg

#15 Julien

Julien

Off The Bench

• 1,978 posts

Posted July 07, 2015 - 08:38 AM

You forgot Russel, you put Nance Jr as the 2nd overall pick. :-D
  • dazz likes this

#16 dazz

dazz

• 1,197 posts

Posted July 07, 2015 - 08:39 AM

You forgot Russel, you put Nance Jr as the 2nd overall pick. :-D

Oh my, thanks Julien, I'll fix it now :D

• Julien likes this

hsl17b.jpg

#17 Чад

Чад

Kings

• 4,683 posts

Posted July 07, 2015 - 08:56 AM

Kobe cap hold next year is going to be insane. 

¡Hala Madrid! Neymar Rules!  

#18 dazz

dazz

• 1,197 posts

Posted July 07, 2015 - 09:01 AM

Kobe cap hold next year is going to be insane. 

Yeah, $37.5M  :laughing:

hsl17b.jpg

#19 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Legend

• 10,930 posts
  • Fan Since:Since 1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted July 07, 2015 - 09:28 AM

WHAAAAT?!! Daaaannnng

#20 Julien

Julien