#43 vdwielen

vdwielen

Rookie

• 509 posts
  • Name:Maarten
  • Fan Since:2011
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted May 20, 2015 - 10:30 AM

It would be absolutly mad to go for Mudiay now.

As much as i like Mudiay and Russell. i dont want them on our team

We should 100% go for the big men

Okafor or Towns

It would be a mistake now selecting a PG when this 2 are on the board 

#44 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• Gameday
  • 54,315 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted May 20, 2015 - 10:32 AM

Okafor is far better offensively, Towns seems like the better defensive player with lots of room to grow. Okafor is really impressive on the low block, you can't really teach that know-how and awareness down there, it's just something that certain big men have. He'll be a very good player in the league, I look forward to seeing his growth over the next few years. It's been a while since the NBA has had a good low block back-to-the-basket type big man. I think he is the superior player because you just can't teach that feel for the game that he has. He can learn how to defend as he grows, but knowing how to play on the low block and the awareness on the floor is innate.

I really like Towns' potential to grow however. I don't think he'll ever be as great offensively as Okafor looks to be, but he can definitely blossom into a serviceable offensive player who puts in work on the glass and on the defensive end. That's all I want from our center to be honest. He seems like he'll be a better fit with Randle at the 4.

In all honesty, I'm fine with either of them. We don't have the tough decision of choosing between them, we'll just take whoever Minnesota passes on. I could see the positives and (slight) negatives of both, but I'm thrilled either way. We pick up a quality big man who should be a big part of our team for years to come. Couldn't be happier.

Yes, Towns is mini Bynum(in terms of all the positives)

If Bynum was focused on the defensive end and had better range, that's what Towns style basically is. I think the immediate move is getting Kareem in to work with him if Minnesota takes Okafor because that means that the Lakers are most likely taking Towns 2nd.

Towns have the upside of a two way player and has less to work on than Okafor in terms of that.

Edited by Majesty, May 20, 2015 - 10:33 AM.

"Bryant had come to rage against the idea that Howard's clownish disposition could overtake the locker room, the Lakers' culture, and had warned Howard that he would never, ever let it happen." 

#45 Lightsoutwilly

Lightsoutwilly

Off The Bench

• 2,200 posts
  • Name:William
  • Fan Since:1994
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted May 20, 2015 - 10:45 AM

Whoever we pick is ok with me, as long as its not a bust... It's also ok if it takes a couple of years to see the value on the guy as long as he improves...

If we can have a some sort of andrew bynum but better health wise, work ethic wise and improvement wise then im all good..

#46 NomisR

NomisR

Rookie

• 597 posts
  • Fan Since:1986
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Byrant

Posted May 20, 2015 - 10:45 AM

I got embiid ROY

I got Embiid being hurt halfway through.. unfortunately..

#47 NomisR

NomisR

Rookie

• 597 posts

Posted May 20, 2015 - 10:47 AM

Yes, Towns is mini Bynum(in terms of all the positives)

If Bynum was focused on the defensive end and had better range, that's what Towns style basically is. I think the immediate move is getting Kareem in to work with him if Minnesota takes Okafor because that means that the Lakers are most likely taking Towns 2nd.

Towns have the upside of a two way player and has less to work on than Okafor in terms of that.

Didn't Town's HS coach, who was also Bynum's HS coach said Towns is actually better than Bynum?

• Majesty and lonlyamongus like this

#48 Majesty

Majesty

• Gameday
  • 54,315 posts

Posted May 20, 2015 - 10:49 AM

When you break it down you ultimately will draft on athleticism and defensive upside and ultimately player upside as far as bpa as well in those.

If it's Towns vs Okafor.

Okafor has Towns beat in post moves
Towns has Okafor beat in pick and roll defense, rotations, rim protecting, speed, athleticism, range, free throw shooting.

Towns doesn't have his post game but no center coming out of college does but Towns does have up and unders the ability to back down people and a reliable jump hook and that's fine when in combination with everything else he possesses.

"Bryant had come to rage against the idea that Howard's clownish disposition could overtake the locker room, the Lakers' culture, and had warned Howard that he would never, ever let it happen." 

#49 Lightsoutwilly

Lightsoutwilly

Off The Bench

• 2,200 posts
  • Name:William
  • Fan Since:1994

Posted May 20, 2015 - 10:58 AM

When you break it down you ultimately will draft on athleticism and defensive upside and ultimately player upside as far as bpa as well in those.

If it's Towns vs Okafor.

Towns has Okafor beat in pick and roll defense, rotations, rim protecting, speed, athleticism, range, free throw shooting.

Towns doesn't have his post game but no center coming out of college does but Towns does have up and unders the ability to back down people and a reliable jump hook and that's fine when in combination with everything else he possesses.

In this case, I'm gonna put my money on towns.. Just the fact that Dwight basically lived on 2 or 3 post moves and still able to carry his team during his prime years..

Towns is a better free throw shooter.. Its also good to see that he can shoot outside that's also a huge factor in todays game.. Towns and Randle can take turns on who's gonna operate inside.. Man I'm so excited for our team..
  • Majesty likes this

#50 Julien

Julien

Off The Bench

• 1,978 posts

Posted May 20, 2015 - 11:26 AM

This year's rookie class:

Joel Embiid
Jahlil Okafor
Karl-Anthony Towns

Who becomes the RotY? Lol.

Russell :-D

#51 kidpolean

kidpolean

Superstar

• 8,157 posts
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:KB24 or 8

Posted May 20, 2015 - 11:34 AM

If it's Towns vs Okafor.

You broke down every aspect of defense that you possibly could have and used it in your list for Towns...why didn't you do the same and break down every possible post move that Okafor does better than Towns? Just saying Towns is a better defender would have covered 3 of your list. Being a better athlete is only relevant if they are being compared to a terrible athlete. Okafor moves really well for his size. Speed is included when discussing athleticism so there was no need to include both of those either. Better range comes with difference of playstyle and really makes no difference in this comparison because they are two different players. FT shooting, that is a huge plus for Towns and I agree 100%. 80% of your list was padding used solely to get your point across.

Edited by kidpolean, May 20, 2015 - 11:35 AM.

#52 Majesty

Majesty

• Gameday
  • 54,315 posts

Posted May 20, 2015 - 11:34 AM

In this case, I'm gonna put my money on towns.. Just the fact that Dwight basically lived on 2 or 3 post moves and still able to carry his team during his prime years..

Towns is a better free throw shooter.. Its also good to see that he can shoot outside that's also a huge factor in todays game.. Towns and Randle can take turns on who's gonna operate inside.. Man I'm so excited for our team..

Yep very true.

I think of it this way.

If Towns and Okafor worked with Kareem

Who is the better two way threat in 3 seasons? Towns is the answer 9 times out of 10 times imo.

His post game is existent it's just compared to Okafor's it looks miniscule but just look at it as a whole. Up and unders, fakes, jump hooks over either shoulder, the ability to put it down and come back up correctly, the ability to pass out of it. Towns has a good post game base to work on and his defense is already there.

In the end imo Towns is gonna get offense sooner than Okafor gets defense.
  • Julien likes this

#53 Majesty

Majesty

• Gameday
  • 54,315 posts

Posted May 20, 2015 - 11:45 AM

You broke down every aspect of defense that you possibly could have and used it in your list for Towns...why didn't you do the same and break down every possible post move that Okafor does better than Towns? Just saying Towns is a better defender would have covered 3 of your list. Being a better athlete is only relevant if they are being compared to a terrible athlete. Okafor moves really well for his size. Speed is included when discussing athleticism so there was no nerve to include both of those either. Better range comes with difference of playstyle and really makes no difference in this comparison because they are two different players. FT shooting, that is a huge plus for Towns and I agree 100%.

Because post moves are essentially the only thing Okafor has on Towns.

Towns doesn't have 40 post moves like Okafor but he has 3-4 go to post moves and in today's NBA that's all he'd need at his position.

A turn around jumper, a jump hook, up and under, a spin move

If you have those 4 things in the post you're fine in today's game from a center standpoint offensively. being able to stretch it out to mid (which Towns can do) is also a big bonus.

And yes the free throw shooting is also big. glad we agree there

Edited by Majesty, May 20, 2015 - 11:46 AM.

#54 ツ  

ツ  

All-Star

• 6,177 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted May 20, 2015 - 11:50 AM

plot twist: lakers draft russell

• Julien likes this

9QBrl.gif

#55 Jackson

Jackson

Legend

• 10,153 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant/Kareem/Sasha(LOL)

Posted May 20, 2015 - 11:52 AM

That would be so dumb.

Even if they didn't want Okafor, they could still trade him. Right now barring anything catastrophic in their respective workouts, there is no reason to draft anyone other than KAT/Okafor.

#56 lonlyamongus

lonlyamongus

Off The Bench

• 2,232 posts
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Eddie Jones, Kobe

Posted May 20, 2015 - 11:58 AM

If they do that, heads will roll sooner then PPL think.

-------------------------------------------------------------

There no pure haters or pure fans.  It's just the ignorant and the observant.  The pure haters and pure fans are the ignorant, while the rest are the less observant or the more observant. 

#57 kidpolean

kidpolean

Superstar

• 8,157 posts
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:KB24 or 8

Posted May 20, 2015 - 12:03 PM

Because post moves are essentially the only thing Okafor has on Towns.

Towns doesn't have 40 post moves like Okafor but he has 3-4 go to post moves and in today's NBA that's all he'd need at his position.

A turn around jumper, a jump hook, up and under, a spin move

If you have those 4 things in the post you're fine in today's game from a center standpoint offensively. being able to stretch it out to mid (which Towns can do) is also a big bonus.

And yes the free throw shooting is also big. glad we agree there

and defense is essentially the only thing Towns has on Okafor that makes a difference except for free throw shooting. Okafor is so much better offensively that it is silly to mention range as a plus for Towns. Okafor was the superior college player. Towns is the one that has to develop much more than Okafor. If Towns never becomes and offensive threat and Okafor never becomes a great defender than Okafor will still have the edge. The only way Towns will be better than Okafor is if he becomes a dominant offensive player and Okafor never even becomes a solid defender.

#58 noknife

noknife

Sixth Man

• 3,818 posts
  • Fan Since:1978
  • Fav. Laker:Shaquille Oneal/Kobe Bryant

Posted May 20, 2015 - 12:06 PM

I don't know much about either, but I would take whichever one has better shooting range, being able to space the floor as a big man is worth more than being able to post up, teams can take away the post, it's very hard for a team to reliably take much away from a center that can play away from the basket.

#59 NomisR

NomisR

Rookie

• 597 posts

Posted May 20, 2015 - 12:27 PM

I don't know much about either, but I would take whichever one has better shooting range, being able to space the floor as a big man is worth more than being able to post up, teams can take away the post, it's very hard for a team to reliably take much away from a center that can play away from the basket.

Seeing KAT's play in HS, and in international games, it seems that he prefers to shoot on the outside and at least has as range from the international 3, which is a few inches less than the NBA 3.  

#60 L8kers4life

L8kers4life

Rookie

• 52 posts
  • Fan Since:1979 I was born a Lakers fan
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted May 20, 2015 - 12:56 PM

You guys are forgetting 1 thing about Okafor, he is an unbelievable passers-by out of the double team, when you have a young team, you need someone who can command a double team to free up other player, Okafor does that and is excellent passing out of the double. For young guys like Clarkson and Randle this could be invaluable. Sure towns will learn this but like Bynum some people never trully understand how to do this, Okafor can and will.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users