Okafor vs. Towns

• Please log in to reply
1479 replies to this topic

#1 KarlTowns4President

KarlTowns4President

-

• 3,931 posts

Posted May 20, 2015 - 12:56 AM

Ok, So I've only seen highlights on youtube between these two, I don't follow college basketball either, So I did some research and Jahlil Okafor seems to be the logical choice for #1...but why is Towns more popular amongst Laker fans?

Basing on Wikipedia, Okafor has tons of awards compared to towns

Medals[hide]

While Towns has:

So why is Towns more popular compared to Okafor both on Lakersground and this board?

Based on other peoples opinions and what I've seen on youtube, Okafor has a polished low post moves but is a terrible free throw shooter and his defensive game is shaky, While Towns is more of a complete package with assisting and defensive skills. But Okafor's upside is more greater than Towns.

Let's settle the debate.

Edited by KobeDynasty, May 20, 2015 - 12:58 AM.

#2 Tensai

Tensai

Superstar

• 8,282 posts

Posted May 20, 2015 - 01:20 AM

Okafor is the better player. People just like to bandwagon the arguments media highlights, e.g. Okafor's "bad" defense.

fXlFKv8.gif

#3 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Hall Of Fame

• 8,706 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted May 20, 2015 - 01:22 AM

It's quite simple, really.

Offense:

Towns is more raw offensively, than Okafor, but have excellent tools. You could even argue that the ability to stretch the floor, pass and handle the ball are more valuable skills in this day and age than the classic back-to-the-basket post moves that Okafor possess. That said, Okafor is so great on the block and at passing out of double teams that he is a lock as a 20-25ppg scorer in this league.

Edge: Okafor because he really is a "sure thing" on that end. But it's close.

Defense:

Here Towns is a far superior talent than Okafor. He rebounds better, blocks shots better, is athletic enough to hang with PFs and has excellent awareness and he seems like he wants to play defense. Okafor has the size but really lack the instincts and/or willingness to defend. He may turn things around and become a great defender, if he puts his mind to it, though.

Edge: Towns in a landslide.

Overall: Towns's defense + offensive upside >>>>> Okafor's polished "sure-thing" offensive skills + doubtfull defensive ability.

#4 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 13,358 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted May 20, 2015 - 01:27 AM

RIght now?  Okafor is the better player...more polished and NBA ready.  Towns is still raw offensively but he still an effective player and has potential to be a great player...

If either of us (LAL or MINN) were playoff teams, Okafor would be the better choice because he could help now...but we're not...and unless we land a game changing FA, neither of us are likely to be next year...

So the answer is potential vs polish.  Okafor is a known...Towns could become much more.  Can't go wrong with either.  No one would look back and say that you clearly should picked one or the other...

tenor.gif

#5 Ven

Ven

Chemist

• 3,271 posts
  • Fan Since:1994-5
  • Fav. Laker:Jack

Posted May 20, 2015 - 01:41 AM

That's the thing though, that Kentucky roster was so packed Towns was able to focus on other aspects of the game. Can an argument be made that in spurts when focused Okafor was able to decently defensive?

I mean to be fair we need everything so it isn't like a huge internal debate, just pick the best available option left. At worst isn't Okafor projected to be an improved version of Jefferson which to be honest wouldn't be that bad to me.

What I find interesting is various fans making the case for Russell and to a lesser extent Mudiay/Winslow for becoming better on the wing seeing the current trend in the NBA. That to me doesn't seem right with this crop of players, as well aren't all these actually smaller guards unlike Butler or Leonard.

Edited by Ven, May 20, 2015 - 01:45 AM.

#6 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• Contributor
  • 14,996 posts
  • Name:Shamim
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted May 20, 2015 - 01:41 AM

Okafor is far better offensively, Towns seems like the better defensive player with lots of room to grow. Okafor is really impressive on the low block, you can't really teach that know-how and awareness down there, it's just something that certain big men have. He'll be a very good player in the league, I look forward to seeing his growth over the next few years. It's been a while since the NBA has had a good low block back-to-the-basket type big man. I think he is the superior player because you just can't teach that feel for the game that he has. He can learn how to defend as he grows, but knowing how to play on the low block and the awareness on the floor is innate.

I really like Towns' potential to grow however. I don't think he'll ever be as great offensively as Okafor looks to be, but he can definitely blossom into a serviceable offensive player who puts in work on the glass and on the defensive end. That's all I want from our center to be honest. He seems like he'll be a better fit with Randle at the 4.

In all honesty, I'm fine with either of them. We don't have the tough decision of choosing between them, we'll just take whoever Minnesota passes on. I could see the positives and (slight) negatives of both, but I'm thrilled either way. We pick up a quality big man who should be a big part of our team for years to come. Couldn't be happier.

• Nak, Tensai, Majesty and 3 others like this

#7 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 12,281 posts
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted May 20, 2015 - 04:20 AM

I think defense and rebounding at the C position are the most important aspects.  Towns isn't on Okafor's level offensively but he's far from raw.  He also has an outside touch as well.  Okafor can't shoot FT and he has absolutely no jumper and wasn't good in pick and rolls.  I just don't like him long term unless he can develop his pick and roll game.  Post play is a plus but if a big man can't play pick and roll it can be an issue offensively. 

• Majesty, flota and Julien like this

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#8 bigvee

bigvee

Legend

• 12,592 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Samaki Walker

Posted May 20, 2015 - 04:44 AM

It's crazy, this exact debate was being had between Jabari Parker and Wiggins last season. Everyone was saying that the guy from Duke had a more refined game while the other was just gonna be good defensively and will struggle for years before figuring it out.

What happened? The more refined player with a lower ceiling struggled a lot more than the so called unrefined player with more potential. Just pointing this out that just cause a couple scouts throw out the term NBA ready, it doesn't mean that it should be taken as seriously as some here are putting it.

To be honest, with big men, I believe a lot of it will come down to how a team chooses to develop them. Obviously, I'm hoping KAJ works with our pick, it would be enormous for his growth

I don't see Minny passing up on Okafor though to be honest. Any top prospect with those sort of tools is very hard to pass up on.

#9 KidRN

KidRN

Hall Of Fame

• 8,437 posts
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:KB24 or 8

Posted May 20, 2015 - 04:51 AM

Id take Okafor. Okafor may not play defense but this guy has 25-30 ppg potential imo. I think he will be a star. I haven't seen a big dominate the post the way he has in a long time. If the Lakers think that they can help him develop a mid range jumper than its a easy pick. Towns I feel will eventually be like K Love that plays defense. They will both be good. I simply prefer an old school post player.

#10 JDuggernaut

JDuggernaut

Rookie

• 134 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted May 20, 2015 - 04:59 AM

I prefer Towns over Okafor for this LA team purely because of fit. He will do things Randle can't, and for that matter, things Okafor can't do either. I do like Okafor a lot, but Towns' defense and athleticism will fit better with Randle than Okafor. Good thing is that we don't really have much of a decision to make; we will just pick the guy that Minnesota didn't.

Honestly, if we end up with Okafor, I'd try to move Randle if you can get enough value and a better fit at the 4. I would also nix any plans to get Love if we end up with Okafor.

#11 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,703 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999

Posted May 20, 2015 - 05:11 AM

Who has the better balance of offense/defense?

Pau Gasol is GONE

#12 BleedPurple&Gold

BleedPurple&Gold

Superstar

• 7,240 posts
  • Name:Gary
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant, Magic

Posted May 20, 2015 - 05:13 AM

Okafor is far better offensively, Towns seems like the better defensive player with lots of room to grow. Okafor is really impressive on the low block, you can't really teach that know-how and awareness down there, it's just something that certain big men have. He'll be a very good player in the league, I look forward to seeing his growth over the next few years. It's been a while since the NBA has had a good low block back-to-the-basket type big man. I think he is the superior player because you just can't teach that feel for the game that he has. He can learn how to defend as he grows, but knowing how to play on the low block and the awareness on the floor is innate.

I really like Towns' potential to grow however. I don't think he'll ever be as great offensively as Okafor looks to be, but he can definitely blossom into a serviceable offensive player who puts in work on the glass and on the defensive end. That's all I want from our center to be honest. He seems like he'll be a better fit with Randle at the 4.

In all honesty, I'm fine with either of them. We don't have the tough decision of choosing between them, we'll just take whoever Minnesota passes on. I could see the positives and (slight) negatives of both, but I'm thrilled either way. We pick up a quality big man who should be a big part of our team for years to come. Couldn't be happier.

This is beautiful LAKER. I agree not worried at all. But I think their both great fits next to randle. I still don't get why people think Randle is a terrible defender. And Okafor def can learn defense which I think people are blowing him up for and little too harsh on.

#13 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 12,281 posts
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted May 20, 2015 - 05:45 AM

Towns

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#14 KobeWillReturnTriumphant

KobeWillReturnTriumphant

TEIAM

• 2,439 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic/Kobe/Tony Smith

Posted May 20, 2015 - 05:48 AM

Id take Okafor. Okafor may not play defense but this guy has 25-30 ppg potential imo. I think he will be a star. I haven't seen a big dominate the post the way he has in a long time. If the Lakers think that they can help him develop a mid range jumper than its a easy pick. Towns I feel will eventually be like K Love that plays defense. They will both be good. I simply prefer an old school post player.

When was the last time a center averaged 30?

#15 Nak

Nak

Tank Commander

• 4,040 posts
  • Name:Ignacio
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted May 20, 2015 - 05:48 AM

There is no debate because we are drafting the big guy that Minny doesn't. 

Edited by Nak, May 20, 2015 - 05:55 AM.

Arguably the greatest franchise ever

#16 UKUGA

UKUGA

Superstar

• 7,579 posts
  • Name:UKUGA
  • Fan Since:1981
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted May 20, 2015 - 05:51 AM

Okafor also never wins the opening tip. 

Don't feed the trolls. 

#17 JDuggernaut

JDuggernaut

Rookie

• 134 posts

Posted May 20, 2015 - 05:53 AM

Towns, for sure.

#18 JDuggernaut

JDuggernaut

Rookie

• 134 posts

Posted May 20, 2015 - 05:54 AM

When was the last time a center averaged 30?

Shaq never did it. I'd say the last one was Kareem. Moses may have done it. I don't feel like looking it up right now though.

#19 PhillyLaker24

PhillyLaker24

Starter

• 5,186 posts
  • Name:Joseph
  • Fan Since:2001

Posted May 20, 2015 - 06:00 AM

Happy that we are just getting either one, but if we had the 1st pick I would want the Lakers to pick Towns. He has all the tools to be a force on the defensive side, and Okafor is lacking on that end. Towns can go out to the perimeter and guard some 4's and stretch 5's will give him no problems, these are things Okafor will struggle with and probably never be able to do. 

Offensivly Okafor is a beast, on the low block he is super polished for a young kid and has time to perfect that. Towns isn't nearly as polished in this area, but he has shown he can operate down low and has an effective jump and running hook. Again looking at potential towns looks like he can develop to have a decent move set around the basket. He shows great touch on over the should hooks and running hooks, this shows he will be able to add more post moves to his collection when he learns the timing and footwork. The thing that scares me of Okafor is his FT shooting. I say this because normally FT shooting reflects how much potential someones jump shot has, Okafor shoots 50% for the line but Towns shot 82%. Towns has the ability to move his game away from the basket and get a decent mid range game, and that is a huge weapon for a big man.

I will be happy with either one, hell even if for some reason the Lakers go with Russell I will be happy as well. Getting the number two spot means we are getting one of the top players in this draft which is a huge win for us. I think it is good that we are going 2nd since we will pick whichever big Minny passes on, so we won't be looking back in 5 years and say boy I wish we would of picked that other guy. Whoever we are left with will be a great pick and either of the two looks like good bets to pay off in the NBA, its just historically the 1st 2nd and 3rd draft picks never all plan out in the league to be great players. Hopefully we don't get the one that will be under performing and therefore the bust of the group. 

Edited by PhillyLaker24, May 20, 2015 - 06:02 AM.

All I want for Christmas is a Laker girl :D

#20 JayTheGreat

JayTheGreat

Sixth Man

• 3,367 posts
  • Fan Since:1994
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted May 20, 2015 - 06:20 AM

Just imagine if we take Okafor then send him to train with Hakeem until the season starts. Holy [expletive]in [expletive]. His footwork is already insane but Hakeem could enhance it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users