36 replies to this topic

#21 RobBlake

RobBlake

Starter

• 4,449 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, Fisher, Magic

Posted March 18, 2015 - 07:32 PM

i agree with last stand. As a person who makes music and creating and forming an album.. you better believe their is intent behind each beat and lyric that hits with that beat. Now i'm positive that Kdot prob wishes he conveyed some things here and there a little better or clearer but that is the beauty of music and of interpreting art. It's all about applying the expression of another artist and letting it touch onto your beliefs, tastes, visions,imagination, etc. If you focus enough, you will see a mental picture of a color the song is.. reach that.

ap1.png

#22 Saber

Saber

O.G.

• 13,858 posts
  • Name:Ivan
  • Fan Since:year 2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted March 20, 2015 - 01:41 PM

I listened to the album today. What stands out for me is the exceptional production. I really think this is the best produced west album in 10 or so years. You have these deep beats, all of which have live instruments in them. Also you have a lot of jazz, soul and funk influence, which is great. It really sounds like a old school album with a modern twist and style of rapping. You have intros, incorporated in the beats (no unnecessary skits and intros) and tracks that change beats half way trough. 

Rapping-wise the album is a poetic one. Kendrick is a poet and he did what he does best and he did it very good .. But that's pretty much it. First of all you don't really have a single, which doesn't seem right for a release like this. You almost feel like that all songs are simillar, nothing stands out. Don't get me wrong, that's not bad. For someone it means that the songs are equally good. For me it means they are equally average/decent (that's just me, because I rarely listen to new-school rap). You don't have a good chorus througout the album, nothing catchy. Rhyming is great, but soft at times. It lacks gangsta ish. It's a very good poetic album. Musical wise it's great, but it's expected, since a ton of musicians worked on it. Definitely one of the best if not the best westcoast album since Game's Documentary. It's not a masterpiece, nor a classic. Not for me .. But I'm pretty hard to impress so. I was very pleasantly surprised though. I really liked the intro, These Walls and You Ain't Gotta Lie.

#23 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 16,671 posts
  • Name:Julius Jordan
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted March 20, 2015 - 02:38 PM

gets better the more you hear it.

Kendrick has a chance to be TBE

#24 androsays

androsays

representing infinity with presidencies

• 5,819 posts
  • Name:andro
  • Fan Since:90s
  • Fav. Laker:kobe

Posted March 20, 2015 - 07:33 PM

Terrace Martin and Robert Glasper behind the scenes throughout the album

Jazz is alive!

Rapping-wise the album is a poetic one. Kendrick is a poet and he did what he does best and he did it very good .. But that's pretty much it. First of all you don't really have a single, which doesn't seem right for a release like this. You almost feel like that all songs are simillar, nothing stands out. Don't get me wrong, that's not bad. For someone it means that the songs are equally good. For me it means they are equally average/decent (that's just me, because I rarely listen to new-school rap). You don't have a good chorus througout the album, nothing catchy. Rhyming is great, but soft at times. It lacks gangsta ish. It's a very good poetic album. Musical wise it's great, but it's expected, since a ton of musicians worked on it. Definitely one of the best if not the best westcoast album since Game's Documentary. It's not a masterpiece, nor a classic. Not for me .. But I'm pretty hard to impress so. I was very pleasantly surprised though. I really liked the intro, These Walls and You Ain't Gotta Lie.

No offense, but this train of thought is what's wrong with hip hop today. Nothing wrong with ignorant bangers (specially in clubs), but that's all people hear and demand to listen to nowadays. A hard beat, a catchy hook, and [expletive]/hoe, cars & money references to let people know the artist is a G - songs with no substance.

Also, Good Kid MAAD City and Section 80 both blew the Documentary out the water in terms of being the latest & greatest westcoast albums
  • FranklinPeanuts and Majesty like this

2div

#25 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 23,771 posts

Posted March 20, 2015 - 09:05 PM

Butterfly is pure genius work from a genius artist. Probably the truest to the genre a album has been in almost 20 years
Posted Image

#26 BleedPurple&Gold

BleedPurple&Gold

Superstar

• 7,240 posts
  • Name:Gary
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant, Magic

Posted March 20, 2015 - 09:14 PM

Man this album is straight up masterpiece. Best album from an artist in a while.

#27 Saber

Saber

O.G.

• 13,858 posts
  • Name:Ivan
  • Fan Since:year 2000

Posted March 21, 2015 - 12:54 AM

No offense, but this train of thought is what's wrong with hip hop today. Nothing wrong with ignorant bangers (specially in clubs), but that's all people hear and demand to listen to nowadays. A hard beat, a catchy hook, and [expletive]/hoe, cars & money references to let people know the artist is a G - songs with no substance.

A song can have a hard beat and a good hook without being about cars, money, hoes and sounding dumb, you know that ? I hate meaningless music and ignorant bangers probably more than everyone here so I could take that as an offense, but I won't. I know where you're coming from with this.

Also, Good Kid MAAD City and Section 80 both blew the Documentary out the water in terms of being the latest & greatest westcoast albums

wow, slow down there bro. We are talking about a double platinum album, produced mainly by Dre, having tons of classics and tons of great artists on it. It's a classic album that is probably going to be listened 20 years after its release, something I could not say about any of nowadays' rappers. 

Edited by Saber, March 21, 2015 - 01:39 AM.

#28 Game

Game

Your Daddy

• 12,767 posts
  • Fan Since:Late '80s

Posted March 21, 2015 - 07:11 AM

not impressed yet, gave it initial listen while I was doing a bunch of other stuff...ill give it a real listen next time I have a long drive in front of me
  • Saber and PhillyLaker24 like this

Posted Image

#29 RobBlake

RobBlake

Starter

• 4,449 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, Fisher, Magic

Posted March 21, 2015 - 05:25 PM

Finally listening closer.. this brings me back to going down south to LA/Moreno valley and chilling with my cousins... early 2000s... straight old school vibes! Epic album from a current rapper.

ap1.png

#30 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 16,671 posts
  • Name:Julius Jordan
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted March 21, 2015 - 06:44 PM

Butterfly is pure genius work from a genius artist. Probably the truest to the genre a album has been in almost 20 years

nahhhhhh

its true to Kendrick tho

#31 bigvee

bigvee

Legend

• 12,592 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Samaki Walker

Posted March 21, 2015 - 06:51 PM

Common and Nas are so much better than Kendrick. I don't know why people are already calling him one of the greatest, he has such a long way to go with consistency.
  • Saber likes this

#32 PuigNotLate

PuigNotLate

GIRAFFES

• 3,581 posts
  • Name:Mychal
  • Fav. Laker:James Worthy

Posted March 21, 2015 - 07:35 PM

Common and Nas are so much better than Kendrick. I don't know why people are already calling him one of the greatest, he has such a long way to go with consistency.

I agree, and I'm a huge fan of his music.

Too quick to crown anybody. Kendrick has a long way to go, and he'll get there as long as he keeps making great music, which I'm confident he'll do. This is his third straight great album. He's one of my favorite rap artists today. Him, Schoolboy Q, Jay Electronica, Jay Rock, Freddie Gibbs.

But to me, it really doesn't have to do with consistency. Nas has been inconsistent throughout his career, with some duds in his discography. But for sheer technical lyrical ability, and for his impact on rap, he is one of the best rappers of all time. Same with Jay-Z, some duds in his category, but lyrically great, and the influence to boot. 

It's so hard for me at least, to crown somebody in the moment, as I don't know how I'll feel about an album or artist in a few years time. A classic stands the test of time. Will this one, or GKMC? Too early for me to tell. Both albums are still too new. Just how I feel. Till then, I just enjoy the music.

Edited by Mychal, March 21, 2015 - 07:35 PM.

• bigvee likes this

#33 PhillyLaker24

PhillyLaker24

Starter

• 5,186 posts
  • Name:Joseph
  • Fan Since:2001
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted March 22, 2015 - 10:39 AM

Mackelmore doesn't have 1/10th the verbal or artistic talent Lamar has

He's an extortionist

He has no right as a white man extorting black music to discuss black extortion. It's hilariously hypocritical

I have an uneducated listen because I am not like the masses that have listened and said how deep this is? How deep is a message if 10 out of 10 people see the meaning and interpret it literally the same way? Listening to music, actually any art is left for interpretation you are correct. This is what makes art so beautiful, that two different individuals can look at it, and take away something different. However, to say I listened to it non-educationally because I do not agree with the opinion this is some sort of profound political/social economically view on things  is just not correct. His struggle as a black man and his problems in America as a story is a central message of the album, but let us not act like this is some novel viewpoint or the way it is told is done in a deep philosophical way. Maybe this is because I grew up and have had my own struggles living in a bad neighbor and not having the economic means .

The same people claiming this is a master piece with a deep intellectual message are the same people I could put the works of Aristotle in front of and would be scratching their head by the third paragraph. Yes for a rap album this has a message above what you expect to find, but it is not something that is transcendental in the thoughts arena. Luckily for K dot he has the following and support to where he can make a rap album that isn't just main stream and enough people will listen to it. However, there are a bunch of underground rappers/nobodies that make songs with strong meanings or thoughtful ideas, but they don't have millions in their fan base so it is never heard. Kendrick's album is deep in terms of rap(with rappers like 2chains of cheif keef how much is that really saying though?), but in terms of thought or philosophy it is based on no more than one man's view, and is possibly void of real deep intellectual thought. 

I brought up macklemore because like I said a critic talked about how deep this albums title was, yet macklemore had a song that was the same message but wasn't seen as anything more than a commercial song. This is because no ear was turned to macklemore music than just saying it was commercialized crap made by a white guy. Hence the reference I made that anything can be seen as deep thought if you take the approach to analyze it as so. 

Speaking about education, and thought I laugh when I read the above quote you made. I think it is quite terrible when someone looks at rap music and delegates it strictly for blacks, last I checked hip hop was made to tell the story and struggle of the inner urban city, not just black people. Now of course the predominant race who have used the art form are black being that it became a big part of their cultural and the majority of the black population lives in big urban cities. This doesn't make any non-black that uses the art form a life sucking leech that is only in it for the money. Rap is a powerful tool for the Black community, but to try and say it is something that should only be done by blacks is not just wrong but actually super ignorant. How is rap a tool that should be used by blacks  to voice their opinion of unfair treatment and struggle in America, yet is a tool that is restrictive to their use only? Any thing that adds more division among people and creates a social divide based on ethnic cleavages is a step in the wrong direction not the right one. There is only one race; the human race. To make something selective based on skin color, rather than experience and actual conditions is a very small minded way of looking at something. Macklemore did not use rap as a platform to protest the treatment of blacks in an attempt to garner sales, I mean I don't think I could name a black person that actually listens to him. However, he did use it to talk about how mass consumerism made us a very individualistic society that values the wrong things, civil rights (gay marriage), and even spoke on the issue that a white man speaking out against injustices done to people of a different race is seen as a bad thing (the stance you took with him touching on the subject.)

How bad is it when a person speaking out against injustices is viewed in the wrong because their color isn't the right one for the message? I can't sit here and defend him because maybe he does take those view points to move records, but nothing in his actions or personal life has lead anyone to logically deduce this. Rather it is thought of being true for the simple thought that how could a white man actually care about the struggles of another race? That is a shame that our society takes that viewpoint simply because he doesn't fit the stereotypical role of someone who should be speaking out. Breaking stereotypes by making new ones, yep sounds like the ass backwards philosophy many people in our country use. 

I normally don't take offense to anything said on an internet board, but your post hit a different nerve. As someone who studies the school of political thought as well as philosophy I make sure to look at everything on that level. Maybe that is why when I feel something gets credit as being particularly deep or philosophical without actually being so I take a very hard stance against it. If you want some crazy philosophical ideas to try and wrap your head around I could run down a list of philosophers that would do that for you. Again, in terms of rap this is something that has a message relative to the other crap put out today, but its not as if it is a message for the ages delivered by a political sage as many have reviewed it. 

A good musical album, but that is about it.

Edited by PhillyLaker24, March 22, 2015 - 11:18 AM.

• James Worthy likes this

All I want for Christmas is a Laker girl :D

#34 Marc Maron

Marc Maron

either/or

• 3,415 posts
  • Name:Spooky

Posted March 22, 2015 - 04:47 PM

https://soundcloud.c...pimp-a-seinfeld

hR3rI.png

#35 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 23,771 posts

Posted March 23, 2015 - 01:52 AM

I have an uneducated listen because I am not like the masses that have listened and said how deep this is? How deep is a message if 10 out of 10 people see the meaning and interpret it literally the same way? Listening to music, actually any art is left for interpretation you are correct. This is what makes art so beautiful, that two different individuals can look at it, and take away something different. However, to say I listened to it non-educationally because I do not agree with the opinion this is some sort of profound political/social economically view on things is just not correct. His struggle as a black man and his problems in America as a story is a central message of the album, but let us not act like this is some novel viewpoint or the way it is told is done in a deep philosophical way. Maybe this is because I grew up and have had my own struggles living in a bad neighbor and not having the economic means .

The same people claiming this is a master piece with a deep intellectual message are the same people I could put the works of Aristotle in front of and would be scratching their head by the third paragraph. Yes for a rap album this has a message above what you expect to find, but it is not something that is transcendental in the thoughts arena. Luckily for K dot he has the following and support to where he can make a rap album that isn't just main stream and enough people will listen to it. However, there are a bunch of underground rappers/nobodies that make songs with strong meanings or thoughtful ideas, but they don't have millions in their fan base so it is never heard. Kendrick's album is deep in terms of rap(with rappers like 2chains of cheif keef how much is that really saying though?), but in terms of thought or philosophy it is based on no more than one man's view, and is possibly void of real deep intellectual thought.

I brought up macklemore because like I said a critic talked about how deep this albums title was, yet macklemore had a song that was the same message but wasn't seen as anything more than a commercial song. This is because no ear was turned to macklemore music than just saying it was commercialized crap made by a white guy. Hence the reference I made that anything can be seen as deep thought if you take the approach to analyze it as so.

Speaking about education, and thought I laugh when I read the above quote you made. I think it is quite terrible when someone looks at rap music and delegates it strictly for blacks, last I checked hip hop was made to tell the story and struggle of the inner urban city, not just black people. Now of course the predominant race who have used the art form are black being that it became a big part of their cultural and the majority of the black population lives in big urban cities. This doesn't make any non-black that uses the art form a life sucking leech that is only in it for the money. Rap is a powerful tool for the Black community, but to try and say it is something that should only be done by blacks is not just wrong but actually super ignorant. How is rap a tool that should be used by blacks to voice their opinion of unfair treatment and struggle in America, yet is a tool that is restrictive to their use only? Any thing that adds more division among people and creates a social divide based on ethnic cleavages is a step in the wrong direction not the right one. There is only one race; the human race. To make something selective based on skin color, rather than experience and actual conditions is a very small minded way of looking at something. Macklemore did not use rap as a platform to protest the treatment of blacks in an attempt to garner sales, I mean I don't think I could name a black person that actually listens to him. However, he did use it to talk about how mass consumerism made us a very individualistic society that values the wrong things, civil rights (gay marriage), and even spoke on the issue that a white man speaking out against injustices done to people of a different race is seen as a bad thing (the stance you took with him touching on the subject.)

How bad is it when a person speaking out against injustices is viewed in the wrong because their color isn't the right one for the message? I can't sit here and defend him because maybe he does take those view points to move records, but nothing in his actions or personal life has lead anyone to logically deduce this. Rather it is thought of being true for the simple thought that how could a white man actually care about the struggles of another race? That is a shame that our society takes that viewpoint simply because he doesn't fit the stereotypical role of someone who should be speaking out. Breaking stereotypes by making new ones, yep sounds like the ass backwards philosophy many people in our country use.

I normally don't take offense to anything said on an internet board, but your post hit a different nerve. As someone who studies the school of political thought as well as philosophy I make sure to look at everything on that level. Maybe that is why when I feel something gets credit as being particularly deep or philosophical without actually being so I take a very hard stance against it. If you want some crazy philosophical ideas to try and wrap your head around I could run down a list of philosophers that would do that for you. Again, in terms of rap this is something that has a message relative to the other crap put out today, but its not as if it is a message for the ages delivered by a political sage as many have reviewed it.

A good musical album, but that is about it.

For someone who studies political thought and philosophy you sure lack comprehension. Where did I say you were uneducated because you disagreed that the album is a masterpiece? You mean when I said you made an uneducated statement saying that analyzing kendricks music is like an English teacher overanalyzing a line of text. I said you listened as an uneducated person because you insisted on listening superficially. Your opinion was openly stated from a position of zero analysis. You basically said you listened, didn't like it and it's not deep yet then admit to not even trying to comprehend or delve into the album. Your response here showed me exactly what I believed in the original response.

Reading comprehension. It's what's largely ignored in the educational "system" to begin with and its shown here

Genuine human expression is deserving of being analyzed especially when it's done through art. There are people who analyze and write essays about books and film and some like or dislike the work of art but it's done from a place where there is a desire to experience and learn

Not laughably go against the masses another gem. No my post had nothing to do with your opinion being special or unique (which you believe). It had to do with the root of you opinion

Your whole post is about why think to much about the album. It's just an album.

Why think? Because we have brains and art provides genuine insight into the human condition

Good lord

Edited by last stand 2.0, March 23, 2015 - 02:01 AM.

Posted Image

#36 bigvee

bigvee

Legend

• 12,592 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Samaki Walker

Posted April 20, 2015 - 10:01 AM

I've given this album so many chances, but I still can't wrap my head around why people thought it was so incredible when it was first released. I just don't hear it.
  • James Worthy and Saber like this

#37 James Worthy

James Worthy

Rookie

• 947 posts
  • Fav. Laker:James Worthy

Posted April 24, 2015 - 11:47 AM

I've given this album so many chances, but I still can't wrap my head around why people thought it was so incredible when it was first released. I just don't hear it.

Because it's garbage.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users