36 replies to this topic

#1 magicbalala245

magicbalala245

Call Me Mr. Clutch or Mr. Automatic

• 3,470 posts
  • Fan Since:I was born in '91
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Magic, Lamar

Posted March 15, 2015 - 08:16 PM

Anyone get the clean version? Kendrick just released the clean version on the iTunes store.

Posted Image

#2 Marc Maron

Marc Maron

either/or

• 3,414 posts
  • Name:Spooky

Posted March 15, 2015 - 08:53 PM

Up on spotify explicit version

https://play.spotify...MtyVbbwTfJwRjSP

and explicit version on itunes: https://itunes.apple...fly/id974187289

Edited by Marc Maron, March 15, 2015 - 08:57 PM.

hR3rI.png

#3 bigvee

bigvee

Legend

• 12,574 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Samaki Walker

Posted March 16, 2015 - 10:58 AM

Already know this will be fire

#4 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Legend

• 10,852 posts
  • Fan Since:Since 1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted March 16, 2015 - 11:46 AM

listening to it now. in the middle of it. so far, so good

#5 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 6,989 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant

Posted March 16, 2015 - 12:11 PM

[expletive] is fire gonna be classic callign it first

"Busto Ball" - troll

#6 JEN

JEN

Legend

• 27,534 posts

Posted March 16, 2015 - 05:16 PM

Pretty decent album overall

• Jackson and PhillyLaker24 like this

#7 Biggums

Biggums

I Do Work

• 422 posts
  • Fan Since:birth
  • Fav. Laker:kobe / glen rice

Posted March 17, 2015 - 11:28 AM

I'm a kendrick fan but I'm not really feeling this... may take a few more listens. There's tracks I really enjoy but I'm just not getting into it

5PiX5gx.jpg
SPurs Suck

#8 Game

Game

Your Daddy

• 12,718 posts
  • Fan Since:Late '80s
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted March 17, 2015 - 01:43 PM

didn't realize this was coming out...going to get tonight

Posted Image

#9 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 23,398 posts

Posted March 17, 2015 - 09:04 PM

Probably one of the greatest rap albums ever released. Pure genius start to finish. Only one song I don't like too much

I'd say a significant improvement over GKMC

Almost like a blend of section 80 and GKMC

But yeah truly and accomplishment for the first true poet in the rap game since probably tupac and maybe lupe fiasco before he fell off the deep end
  • Draztik likes this
Posted Image

#10 Draztik

Draztik

Illmatic

• 8,449 posts
  • Fan Since:1986 - Birth!
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Gasol, Artest

Posted March 17, 2015 - 09:51 PM

Probably one of the greatest rap albums ever released. Pure genius start to finish. Only one song I don't like too much

I'd say a significant improvement over GKMC

Almost like a blend of section 80 and GKMC

But yeah truly and accomplishment for the first true poet in the rap game since probably tupac and maybe lupe fiasco before he fell off the deep end

This is what I thought too about the blend of old and new Kendrick

21lsbya.jpg
Peep my music at my youtube page here: MUSIC!

#11 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 16,544 posts
  • Name:Julius Jordan
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted March 17, 2015 - 09:58 PM

masterpiece but not a classic

• Saber likes this

#12 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• Gameday
  • 54,315 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted March 18, 2015 - 12:22 AM

The stuff he said about N-E-G-U-S after i is some deep stuff.  If that goes viral that could change a LOT... 

"Bryant had come to rage against the idea that Howard's clownish disposition could overtake the locker room, the Lakers' culture, and had warned Howard that he would never, ever let it happen." 

#13 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 23,398 posts

Posted March 18, 2015 - 07:06 AM

3 listens in and I'm thinking Kendrick just released one of the greatest albums in music period of the last 20 years. Mortal man is absolute pure genius

You're looking at the first true poet since tupac the only true heir he's had. Someone with something to actually say and express and does so truly and utterly beautifully

This IS rap not the MMLP2 lol

Kendrick proved rap can still be what it was intended for originally. The music that puts a mirror up to society not help destroy it
Posted Image

#14 PuigNotLate

PuigNotLate

GIRAFFES

• 3,581 posts
  • Name:Mychal
  • Fav. Laker:James Worthy

Posted March 18, 2015 - 10:16 AM

Ha, didn't even realize this was coming out.

Definitely going to check it out. Liked Section 80 and GKMC a lot, so I imagine this will be quality music as well.

#15 PhillyLaker24

PhillyLaker24

Starter

• 5,161 posts
  • Name:Joseph
  • Fan Since:2001
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted March 18, 2015 - 12:21 PM

Pretty decent album overall

My thoughts exactly on it. Right now I like GKMC more, but that could change after a few more listens to this album.

Album has some songs, I really liked but I feel some are reaching by claiming this as an artistic master piece with such deep meaning. Then again if you look at anything with the lens of a high school English teacher you can find deep meaning in the most trivial of things. Don't get me wrong this album has more meaning than 95% of the albums put out today, but Kendrick isn't some sort of political sage that is dropping Aristotle type of knowledge on each track aha

I mean I read reviews on the album, and one critic went into so much depth on the name of the album, how it relates to how black artist are just marketed and sold until they have no value, or in this case pimped out. Funny how that is supposedly a deep message when Macklemore had a song on his album with that exact message...

All I want for Christmas is a Laker girl :D

#16 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 23,398 posts

Posted March 18, 2015 - 02:22 PM

My thoughts exactly on it. Right now I like GKMC more, but that could change after a few more listens to this album.

Album has some songs, I really liked but I feel some are reaching by claiming this as an artistic master piece with such deep meaning. Then again if you look at anything with the lens of a high school English teacher you can find deep meaning in the most trivial of things. Don't get me wrong this album has more meaning than 95% of the albums put out today, but Kendrick isn't some sort of political sage that is dropping Aristotle type of knowledge on each track aha

I mean I read reviews on the album, and one critic went into so much depth on the name of the album, how it relates to how black artist are just marketed and sold until they have no value, or in this case pimped out. Funny how that is supposedly a deep message when Macklemore had a song on his album with that exact message...

Mackelmore doesn't have 1/10th the verbal or artistic talent Lamar has

He's an extortionist

He has no right as a white man extorting black music to discuss black extortion. It's hilariously hypocritical

Secondly your second paragraph is wildly uneducated and the very issue with this country today. The most educated of the world go through life attempting to comprehend. When you read a novel written from the mind of life's most complex creation the human brain everything has meaning. Every word said or written has meaning because the human mind only thinks in meanings and point of views so to sit there and say dissecting text or that an English teacher is discussing meaning of trivial things is wildly uneducated. Dissecting text and comprehending from your own understanding of life is just about the most educated thing a human being can do and one of the most vital to ones education. It's the very reason why music, poetry, novel, film hit a person differently as they age because their interpretation of life leads to different comprehension of material so no this art that Kendrick has created from his personal point of view isn't being over analyzed in fact that reviewer analyzing the title is approaching the album from a signficantly higher educated stance than you are

Thirdly Kendrick isn't even trying to be political. Through the album he is simply expressing his point of view on race relations. His own personal point of view. Not someone else's not the medias his.

Calling himself a proud monkey these are his own personal views on race relations and that is what makes his album art and a masterpiece because he genuinely expresses his personal take on race relations in America. It's not contrived like Macklemore it's his genuine beliefs, opinions, perceptions of the world around him and that's what great art is, has, and will always be

Then you go on to question his metaphor as not original. Did you listen to the album, did you even listen to "I" and "mortal man"

His conversation with tupac is a perfect example of why you listened to the album as an uneducated person and missed the point. Kendrick is expressing how he views the world as a black man now and in his conversation he is speaking to and asking tupac about what he learned and what he saw for the black community's future. Because kendrick is himself like tupac an artist in the truest sense of the word. A man striving to understand the world around him whilst expressing what he believes to be surrounding him

What Kendrick out together was probably one of the greatest expressive pieces of art since illmatic, makaveli, straight outta Compton. His album is of that ilk. Like it or not, agree with his opinions or not he has truly expressed himself through music with an incredible skill set and talent for it.

There is a technical musician like Eminem, John Mayer, usher these people understand and are incredibly talented at their form of music. But what are they saying?

There is the technical painter, with talent and skill but no passion, no expression. There is also the painter with very little technical skill but a lot to say. Both capable of art

Then there is the artist with talent and something to say

Kendrick embodies that 3rd person and it's why his album is a masterpiece. It's why Kanye west thanked him for the album. It's why the album is being universally applauded because whether you agree with him or not Kendrick has in fact produced a legitimate masterpiece. His best work and a genuine expression of self
  • Icker and L.A.7 like this
Posted Image

#17 PuigNotLate

PuigNotLate

GIRAFFES

• 3,581 posts
  • Name:Mychal
  • Fav. Laker:James Worthy

Posted March 18, 2015 - 06:09 PM

I have no idea why Macklemore is so popular. Dudes music is soooo corny.

• Jackson likes this

#18 Jackson

Jackson

Legend

• 10,175 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant/Kareem/Sasha(LOL)

Posted March 18, 2015 - 06:33 PM

Mackelmore doesn't have 1/10th the verbal or artistic talent Lamar has

He's an extortionist

He has no right as a white man extorting black music to discuss black extortion. It's hilariously hypocritical

Secondly your second paragraph is wildly uneducated and the very issue with this country today. The most educated of the world go through life attempting to comprehend. When you read a novel written from the mind of life's most complex creation the human brain everything has meaning. Every word said or written has meaning because the human mind only thinks in meanings and point of views so to sit there and say dissecting text or that an English teacher is discussing meaning of trivial things is wildly uneducated. Dissecting text and comprehending from your own understanding of life is just about the most educated thing a human being can do and one of the most vital to ones education. It's the very reason why music, poetry, novel, film hit a person differently as they age because their interpretation of life leads to different comprehension of material so no this art that Kendrick has created from his personal point of view isn't being over analyzed in fact that reviewer analyzing the title is approaching the album from a signficantly higher educated stance than you are

Thirdly Kendrick isn't even trying to be political. Through the album he is simply expressing his point of view on race relations. His own personal point of view. Not someone else's not the medias his.

Calling himself a proud monkey these are his own personal views on race relations and that is what makes his album art and a masterpiece because he genuinely expresses his personal take on race relations in America. It's not contrived like Macklemore it's his genuine beliefs, opinions, perceptions of the world around him and that's what great art is, has, and will always be

Then you go on to question his metaphor as not original. Did you listen to the album, did you even listen to "I" and "mortal man"

His conversation with tupac is a perfect example of why you listened to the album as an uneducated person and missed the point. Kendrick is expressing how he views the world as a black man now and in his conversation he is speaking to and asking tupac about what he learned and what he saw for the black community's future. Because kendrick is himself like tupac an artist in the truest sense of the word. A man striving to understand the world around him whilst expressing what he believes to be surrounding him

What Kendrick out together was probably one of the greatest expressive pieces of art since illmatic, makaveli, straight outta Compton. His album is of that ilk. Like it or not, agree with his opinions or not he has truly expressed himself through music with an incredible skill set and talent for it.

There is a technical musician like Eminem, John Mayer, usher these people understand and are incredibly talented at their form of music. But what are they saying?

There is the technical painter, with talent and skill but no passion, no expression. There is also the painter with very little technical skill but a lot to say. Both capable of art

Then there is the artist with talent and something to say

Kendrick embodies that 3rd person and it's why his album is a masterpiece. It's why Kanye west thanked him for the album. It's why the album is being universally applauded because whether you agree with him or not Kendrick has in fact produced a legitimate masterpiece. His best work and a genuine expression of self

Eminem a musician? Sure his recent mainstream music has trended towards pop, but let's not take away what the man did and produced in his prime.

Eminem was able to say and express what Pac and Nas and many others were trying to say in terms of race, politics, and real life situations, but better. He's technical, talented, said much more and reached out to more.

I don't know how you associated Usher and John Mayer's music with Eminem's.

He's up there with Pac and the rest.

Edited by Jackson, March 18, 2015 - 06:40 PM.

#19 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 23,398 posts

Posted March 18, 2015 - 07:03 PM

Eminem a musician? Sure his recent mainstream music has trended towards pop, but let's not take away what the man did and produced in his prime.

Eminem was able to say and express what Pac and Nas and many others were trying to say in terms of race, politics, and real life situations, but better. He's technical, talented, said much more and reached out to more.

I don't know how you associated Usher and John Mayer's music with Eminem's.
He's up there with Pac and the rest.

Talking about his recent stuff. Yes his old stuff was incredibly unique and himself

But anything after the Eminem show and the 8-mile soundtrack is just technical excellence but empty
  • Jackson likes this
Posted Image

#20 Jackson

Jackson

Legend

• 10,175 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant/Kareem/Sasha(LOL)

Posted March 18, 2015 - 07:16 PM

Talking about his recent stuff. Yes his old stuff was incredibly unique and himself

But anything after the Eminem show and the 8-mile soundtrack is just technical excellence but empty

Agreed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users