Photo

Mayweather v Pacquiao May 2, 2015 Las Vegas - MGM Grand

• Please log in to reply
206 replies to this topic

#181 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• Gameday
  • 54,335 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted May 03, 2015 - 04:45 PM

Dodging punches and running around the ring for 12 rounds isn't boxing.  Ali would play rope-a-dope, but he would also tag you with punches hard enough to KO you every round, whether it was flurries or not.

Back when boxing was fun, none of them wanted to go 12 rounds.  They wanted to end it from the start of the bell in the 1st.  Yes, that meant being strategic, but it also meant beating your opponent's face and body to a pulp.

There's a reason why there are few people who enjoyed this fight.  For years, boxing has been on life support, and for many reasons that include fights such as this one, questionable scorecards, unthinkable purses, etc.  Competition has hit rock bottom, and honestly, both the UFC and professional wrestling have assisted in turning boxing into a badminton or shuffleboard, rather than a basketball or football when it comes to sports.  It would be disrespect to Tim Duncan if you stated boxing was as boring as he was, because he's actually a winner.

It's just sad to see things this way now.  When I was a kid, I had a pair of boxing gloves that I "trained" with.  I loved Mike Tyson, and my favorite movies were from the Rocky series.  Now, I can't even watch these matches, and I haven't been interested since Roy Jones Jr's fall from grace (the loss against Calzaghe was it for me).  It's just not the same anymore, and I didn't buy the PPV for that very reason, knowing it would all turn out this way.

I agree Real deal with some of that.  But the other reason is that boxing didn't do anything to hype anyone new. 

The ONLY guy was Mayweather and Pacquiao that people cared about and it was only because Pacquiao was seen as the action fighter of his time and they thought he was the answer for Mayweather.  But he wasn't, and never was going to be, you could watch him struggle with Marquez and duck Zahir Raheem(yes.. that happened) and know that.  

But all the media really does is talk down about Mayweather and draw attention to his defensive style and ask "Why doesn't he slug all the time!!"  Rather than draw attention to the mastery of his style and how he shuts fighters down.    So the casual fan is gonna watch that and ask that same question and be turned off by it.   If Mayweather didn't have the "money" persona, boxing would be dead.  It needed a character and it got it in Floyd. 

Heck, a lot of people NOW talk about how great Roy Jones Jr was in hindsight, when if I remember correctly during his rise all people said was he "didn't take enough risks" or "he hand picks his opponents" or "he knocked out Montell Griffin in one round.. WHY NOT DO THAT EVERY TIME!?!?".  and this was when Roy was still knocking guys out despite his 'safe' style. 

But now in hindsight those people(not you) try to say "oh Roy was a REAL fighter!"  when back when Roy was on top, that was the thing always argued.    It will be the same with Mayweather, but boxing will be dead long before people realize that. 

The fact of the matter is. 

Mayweather always had the style to nullify Pacquiao.  If Marquez could there is no reason Mayweather wouldn't.  

Boxing at the end of the day is about hitting and not getting hit.  Mayweather out threw and outlanded pacquiao.  That means he outhustled the guy everyone thought would pressure him to death. 

The reality is this.  

Floyd is 38.  He doesn't have the legs he used to and the footwork he used to, but he has enough to trouble guys and beat them and win.     Him standing and engaging with Pacquiao would only leave him more open and give Pacquiao a chance.  Floyd takes away chances.   

People expect Floyd to go toe to toe with Manny or leave himself open to get knocked out. He went toe to toe with Cotto, and he stood in front of Maidana and got hit more than he had in a while and had a lot of people wondering if he lost a step. 

So he went out there and beat Pacquiao who 'is' dangerous but can't deal with counter punchers and he executed the gameplan and wasn't drawn into a brawl with Pacquiao.  He fought the fight he was supposed to fight as well as the smartest one he could fight. 

Everyone expects Mayweather to be the one that knocked down Corrales 7 times, the guy who embarassed Gatti, the guy who hit Ricky Hatton so hard with his left hook he sent him into the turnbuckle and the guy that wobbled Miguel Cotto while moving up in weight to Cotto's natural weight class. 

The reality is if Floyd is going to win he's going to be fighting the way he has.  No one complained about Hopkins tactics when he was fighting from 38-44 the only 'greatly' entertaining fight he had during that time was his match with Tarver and people enjoyed that because he shut Tarver up and pummeled him.  They appreciated him the way the Spurs got appreciated for beating down the Heat. 

Floyd is the same way, except he's smart about it.  

He's 38.   He's not gonna stand toe to toe with pacquiao and he is going to do everything in his power to nullify them.   It's no different than when Ali beat Leon Spinks the 2nd time, he held him whenever Leon got going and would shoeshine whenever, he had the opening, would hold again, back Leon off and jab him.   

This was a Leon Spinks he fought that was found drunk and on a corner.  But Ali knew if he wanted a chance at beating him he had to stop him from getting any offense off. 

Ali was 36 around that time and in his 18th year.  Mayweather is 38 now and in his 19th year.  If people wanted to see the Mayweather that went for knockouts and put people away the moment they gave him an opening they should have been watching him when he was 28 and not 38.   

Mayweather at 38 fought the exact fight he should have fight, if people have sour grapes about that then they should have known what to expect. 

The reality is they wanted Mayweather to throw caution to the win and trade with Pacquiao so he'd have a chance at being knocked out.   At the same time they expected Pacquiao to walk through whatever Mayweather threw at him.

What they forgot was that Mayweather is bigger, faster and stronger than Pacquiao, and Pacquiao had no answer for his jab.  If Pacquiao has no answer for his jab and his own one was nullified(he landed 9 out of 140 ish) then there's no reason.  

It's Pacquiao's job to force Mayweather to have to do something.  The most exciting round was the 6th where Pacquiao threw everything but the kitchen sink at Mayweather and Mayweather was able to deflect most of it and outhustle Pacquiao in that round as well as outland him.  At that point the fight was over and Mayweather swept the next few rounds.   

Instead of people saying "why didn't Mayweather take all these chances, etc etc" they should be looking at the fact Mayweather's 38 and still making it look easy.   

Why does Kobe not do 360 dunks every chance he gets anymore?  Because he had to change his game and the pace of it 18 years in in order to remain dominant and pick his spots smarter even when his athleticism was fading.   

Why does Mayweather not throw/move/leap around the ring as much at 38 as he did at 28?  Because he had to change his style up if he was gonna beat younger, and bigger guys like Canelo, even when his athleticism is fading.   He even said he was going to have to focus more on defense in the latter stages of his career.

Freddie Roach spent this entire press tour trying to wind Mayweather up in hopes Mayweather WOULD come out slugging with Pacquiao because he knew that was Pacquiao's only chance. When he didn't Pacquiao threw all he could into the 6th round, when Mayweather responded and outhustled and outfought Pacquiao at his own game, Pacquiao mentally gave up, because he knew he had no chance and Mayweather did what he had to do.  

It's unfair to ask Mayweather to be the same fighter he was 10-15 or even 19 years ago.   In boxing you either adapt or you go extinct.  Mayweather made a career out of adapting.  If they wanted him to be an action fighter  that always put away guys when he had the chance they're about 8 years too late. 

Then you have ESPN that ried to make you forget that Pacquiao was knocked out by Marquez and fought two bums before fighting Mayweather to make you think he had a chance and hyped up everything they could to make you think it was gonna be a slugfest. 

If they drew attention to Mayweathers defensive style, actually spoke about how great his record actually is and his 19 years of dominance and if Pacquiao could solve the puzzle.  Then people wouldn't be so disappointed. 

The fact of the matter is, the attention of this fight wasn't put where it should have been in the promotion.  

But anyone who's a boxing pundit knew what the style was going to be.  

The casual UFC watcher who is tuning in only because they hope Mayweather loses or that is tuning in because the fight was so hyped is gonna be disappointed cause it wasn't a slugfest and the majority of them probably didn't even watch when Mayweather was on top of his game 10 years ago.  

That's on 'boxing' and how it's run now and their lack of ability to hype fights around what's important.  Mayweather carried this promotion with his 24/7 Show antics and his "Money" persona.  "boxing" dropped the ball with the rest of it.  

Once he retires, boxing is done. 

Edited by Majesty, May 03, 2015 - 05:00 PM.

• Real Deal likes this

"Bryant had come to rage against the idea that Howard's clownish disposition could overtake the locker room, the Lakers' culture, and had warned Howard that he would never, ever let it happen." 

#182 Lakerace24

Lakerace24

Starter

• 5,140 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted May 03, 2015 - 04:45 PM

Dodging punches and running around the ring for 12 rounds isn't boxing. Ali would play rope-a-dope, but he would also tag you with punches hard enough to KO you every round, whether it was flurries or not.

Back when boxing was fun, none of them wanted to go 12 rounds. They wanted to end it from the start of the bell in the 1st. Yes, that meant being strategic, but it also meant beating your opponent's face and body to a pulp.

There's a reason why there are few people who enjoyed this fight. For years, boxing has been on life support, and for many reasons that include fights such as this one, questionable scorecards, unthinkable purses, etc. Competition has hit rock bottom, and honestly, both the UFC and professional wrestling have assisted in turning boxing into a badminton or shuffleboard, rather than a basketball or football when it comes to sports. It would be disrespect to Tim Duncan if you stated boxing was as boring as he was, because he's actually a winner.

It's just sad to see things this way now. When I was a kid, I had a pair of boxing gloves that I "trained" with. I loved Mike Tyson, and my favorite movies were from the Rocky series. Now, I can't even watch these matches, and I haven't been interested since Roy Jones Jr's fall from grace (the loss against Calzaghe was it for me). It's just not the same anymore, and I didn't buy the PPV for that very reason, knowing it would all turn out this way.

Oh look, someone that actually remembers what real boxing is.

#183 ace™

ace™

Most Interesting

• 10,772 posts
  • Name:Jorge Negrete
  • Fan Since:1997
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted May 03, 2015 - 04:56 PM

There goes that TL;DR essay i was expecting lol
  • bigvee likes this

#184 Majesty

Majesty

• Gameday
  • 54,335 posts

Posted May 03, 2015 - 05:01 PM

There goes that TL;DR essay i was expecting lol

To put in a SEACMDI way for you then.   

"Boxing fails when it comes to promotion and focusing on what's important.  Once Mayweather retires, boxing is dead and hindsight can only help so much." 

"Bryant had come to rage against the idea that Howard's clownish disposition could overtake the locker room, the Lakers' culture, and had warned Howard that he would never, ever let it happen." 

#185 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Hall Of Fame

• 8,982 posts
  • Name:Tyler
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The mamba

Posted May 03, 2015 - 05:58 PM

sometimes i run

sometimes i hide

sometimes i'm scared of you

but all i really want is to hold you tight -

-floyd mayweather

:laughing:  :laughing:

"Friends come and go but banners hang forever."  - Kobe Bryant

#186 ace™

ace™

Most Interesting

• 10,772 posts

Posted May 03, 2015 - 06:43 PM

Lmao.

Glad the fight after match is this entertaining.

Much better than the actual fight itself.

The memes, videos, the over the top defending of the guy.

Thanks Floyd. You're awesome.

#187 Majesty

Majesty

• Gameday
  • 54,335 posts

Posted May 03, 2015 - 07:21 PM

Lmao.

Glad the fight after match is this entertaining.

Much better than the actual fight itself.

The memes, videos, the over the top defending of the guy.

Thanks Floyd. You're awesome.

Like it or not he's the reason people tune in. He is the source of their memes as well as their praise or disdain.  

Right now Floyd Mayweather Jr IS boxing and the only guy boxing has, and journalists go out of their way to try to discredit him instead of acknowledging his greatness and putting the attention on that,  and when he retires, boxing is dead and Floyd will be a top 10 all time fighter.  Boxing needs him more than he needs boxing at this point. 

Edited by Majesty, May 03, 2015 - 07:22 PM.

• 43,917 posts

Posted May 03, 2015 - 07:24 PM

I agree Real deal with some of that.  But the other reason is that boxing didn't do anything to hype anyone new. 

The ONLY guy was Mayweather and Pacquiao that people cared about and it was only because Pacquiao was seen as the action fighter of his time and they thought he was the answer for Mayweather.  But he wasn't, and never was going to be, you could watch him struggle with Marquez and duck Zahir Raheem(yes.. that happened) and know that.  

But all the media really does is talk down about Mayweather and draw attention to his defensive style and ask "Why doesn't he slug all the time!!"  Rather than draw attention to the mastery of his style and how he shuts fighters down.    So the casual fan is gonna watch that and ask that same question and be turned off by it.   If Mayweather didn't have the "money" persona, boxing would be dead.  It needed a character and it got it in Floyd. 

Heck, a lot of people NOW talk about how great Roy Jones Jr was in hindsight, when if I remember correctly during his rise all people said was he "didn't take enough risks" or "he hand picks his opponents" or "he knocked out Montell Griffin in one round.. WHY NOT DO THAT EVERY TIME!?!?".  and this was when Roy was still knocking guys out despite his 'safe' style. 

But now in hindsight those people(not you) try to say "oh Roy was a REAL fighter!"  when back when Roy was on top, that was the thing always argued.    It will be the same with Mayweather, but boxing will be dead long before people realize that. 

The fact of the matter is. 

Mayweather always had the style to nullify Pacquiao.  If Marquez could there is no reason Mayweather wouldn't.  

Boxing at the end of the day is about hitting and not getting hit.  Mayweather out threw and outlanded pacquiao.  That means he outhustled the guy everyone thought would pressure him to death. 

The reality is this.  

Floyd is 38.  He doesn't have the legs he used to and the footwork he used to, but he has enough to trouble guys and beat them and win.     Him standing and engaging with Pacquiao would only leave him more open and give Pacquiao a chance.  Floyd takes away chances.   

People expect Floyd to go toe to toe with Manny or leave himself open to get knocked out. He went toe to toe with Cotto, and he stood in front of Maidana and got hit more than he had in a while and had a lot of people wondering if he lost a step. 

So he went out there and beat Pacquiao who 'is' dangerous but can't deal with counter punchers and he executed the gameplan and wasn't drawn into a brawl with Pacquiao.  He fought the fight he was supposed to fight as well as the smartest one he could fight. 

Everyone expects Mayweather to be the one that knocked down Corrales 7 times, the guy who embarassed Gatti, the guy who hit Ricky Hatton so hard with his left hook he sent him into the turnbuckle and the guy that wobbled Miguel Cotto while moving up in weight to Cotto's natural weight class. 

The reality is if Floyd is going to win he's going to be fighting the way he has.  No one complained about Hopkins tactics when he was fighting from 38-44 the only 'greatly' entertaining fight he had during that time was his match with Tarver and people enjoyed that because he shut Tarver up and pummeled him.  They appreciated him the way the Spurs got appreciated for beating down the Heat. 

Floyd is the same way, except he's smart about it.  

He's 38.   He's not gonna stand toe to toe with pacquiao and he is going to do everything in his power to nullify them.   It's no different than when Ali beat Leon Spinks the 2nd time, he held him whenever Leon got going and would shoeshine whenever, he had the opening, would hold again, back Leon off and jab him.   

This was a Leon Spinks he fought that was found drunk and on a corner.  But Ali knew if he wanted a chance at beating him he had to stop him from getting any offense off. 

Ali was 36 around that time and in his 18th year.  Mayweather is 38 now and in his 19th year.  If people wanted to see the Mayweather that went for knockouts and put people away the moment they gave him an opening they should have been watching him when he was 28 and not 38.   

Mayweather at 38 fought the exact fight he should have fight, if people have sour grapes about that then they should have known what to expect. 

The reality is they wanted Mayweather to throw caution to the win and trade with Pacquiao so he'd have a chance at being knocked out.   At the same time they expected Pacquiao to walk through whatever Mayweather threw at him.

What they forgot was that Mayweather is bigger, faster and stronger than Pacquiao, and Pacquiao had no answer for his jab.  If Pacquiao has no answer for his jab and his own one was nullified(he landed 9 out of 140 ish) then there's no reason.  

It's Pacquiao's job to force Mayweather to have to do something.  The most exciting round was the 6th where Pacquiao threw everything but the kitchen sink at Mayweather and Mayweather was able to deflect most of it and outhustle Pacquiao in that round as well as outland him.  At that point the fight was over and Mayweather swept the next few rounds.   

Instead of people saying "why didn't Mayweather take all these chances, etc etc" they should be looking at the fact Mayweather's 38 and still making it look easy.   

Why does Kobe not do 360 dunks every chance he gets anymore?  Because he had to change his game and the pace of it 18 years in in order to remain dominant and pick his spots smarter even when his athleticism was fading.   

Why does Mayweather not throw/move/leap around the ring as much at 38 as he did at 28?  Because he had to change his style up if he was gonna beat younger, and bigger guys like Canelo, even when his athleticism is fading.   He even said he was going to have to focus more on defense in the latter stages of his career.

Freddie Roach spent this entire press tour trying to wind Mayweather up in hopes Mayweather WOULD come out slugging with Pacquiao because he knew that was Pacquiao's only chance. When he didn't Pacquiao threw all he could into the 6th round, when Mayweather responded and outhustled and outfought Pacquiao at his own game, Pacquiao mentally gave up, because he knew he had no chance and Mayweather did what he had to do.  

It's unfair to ask Mayweather to be the same fighter he was 10-15 or even 19 years ago.   In boxing you either adapt or you go extinct.  Mayweather made a career out of adapting.  If they wanted him to be an action fighter  that always put away guys when he had the chance they're about 8 years too late. 

Then you have ESPN that ried to make you forget that Pacquiao was knocked out by Marquez and fought two bums before fighting Mayweather to make you think he had a chance and hyped up everything they could to make you think it was gonna be a slugfest. 

If they drew attention to Mayweathers defensive style, actually spoke about how great his record actually is and his 19 years of dominance and if Pacquiao could solve the puzzle.  Then people wouldn't be so disappointed. 

The fact of the matter is, the attention of this fight wasn't put where it should have been in the promotion.  

But anyone who's a boxing pundit knew what the style was going to be.  

The casual UFC watcher who is tuning in only because they hope Mayweather loses or that is tuning in because the fight was so hyped is gonna be disappointed cause it wasn't a slugfest and the majority of them probably didn't even watch when Mayweather was on top of his game 10 years ago.  

That's on 'boxing' and how it's run now and their lack of ability to hype fights around what's important.  Mayweather carried this promotion with his 24/7 Show antics and his "Money" persona.  "boxing" dropped the ball with the rest of it.  

Once he retires, boxing is done. 

Any more realities?

yo.

#189 Majesty

Majesty

• Gameday
  • 54,335 posts

Posted May 03, 2015 - 08:30 PM

Any more realities?

That you're Chicano, the forum misses you, and you need to post more often.   :bleh:

#190 ace™

ace™

Most Interesting

• 10,772 posts

Posted May 03, 2015 - 08:31 PM

Any more realities?

Or fact of the matters?

• 43,917 posts

Posted May 03, 2015 - 08:40 PM

^ Ah yes. Now that you mention it, there were at least a couple of those as well weren't there? Heh..

yo.

#192 Michaelyumm

Michaelyumm

Quick & Easy

• 11,417 posts
  • Fan Since:93
  • Fav. Laker:Nick Van Exel

Posted May 03, 2015 - 09:33 PM

11182150_10205853196143372_2905908576230

#193 Danny

Danny

Rookie

• 484 posts
  • Name:Danny
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted May 03, 2015 - 11:47 PM

I just wanna see GGG vs Mayweather

#194 epicwolf

epicwolf

#1 Clipper hater #1 Raider hater

• 3,760 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Mamba

Posted May 04, 2015 - 05:29 AM

Another over hyped mega fight.  After watching the fight, I realized why I am not a mayweather fan and don't like to watch any of his fight. He is the most boring and stupid fighters I've seen.  Very smart and calculated guy and his win is almost all legit. But can somebody tell him that its a boxing match and not dancing with the stars?  Mayweather style is hit and run away and hit an run away. I don't like the guy as a person but I always watch sports taking their personal and human being away from it.  I just don't like the way he box at all.  I called it coward boxing.  Stand in there and box. 

#195 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Hall Of Fame

• 8,982 posts
  • Name:Tyler
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The mamba

Posted May 04, 2015 - 08:11 AM

Another over hyped mega fight.  After watching the fight, I realized why I am not a mayweather fan and don't like to watch any of his fight. He is the most boring and stupid fighters I've seen.  Very smart and calculated guy and his win is almost all legit. But can somebody tell him that its a boxing match and not dancing with the stars?  Mayweather style is hit and run away and hit an run away. I don't like the guy as a person but I always watch sports taking their personal and human being away from it.  I just don't like the way he box at all.  I called it coward boxing.  Stand in there and box. 

"He is a very small, scared little man"

- Mike Tyson

Edited by LakeShow805, May 04, 2015 - 08:11 AM.

"Friends come and go but banners hang forever."  - Kobe Bryant

#196 Majesty

Majesty

• Gameday
  • 54,335 posts

Posted May 04, 2015 - 09:37 AM

Another over hyped mega fight. After watching the fight, I realized why I am not a mayweather fan and don't like to watch any of his fight. He is the most boring and stupid fighters I've seen. Very smart and calculated guy and his win is almost all legit. But can somebody tell him that its a boxing match and not dancing with the stars? Mayweather style is hit and run away and hit an run away. I don't like the guy as a person but I always watch sports taking their personal and human being away from it. I just don't like the way he box at all. I called it coward boxing. Stand in there and box.

Explain how he out threw and outlanded Pacquiao if all he did was run :) or are you one of the "the jab isn't a real punch" types ;)

#197 Marc Maron

Marc Maron

either/or

• 3,415 posts
  • Name:Spooky

Posted May 04, 2015 - 10:02 AM

Even when he had him cornered he couldn't touch him  :laughing:

182fe6.gif

1235394733588803756.gif

Pacquiao literally just standing infront of Floyd doing nothing but getting popped. 

101700b.gif

tumblr_nnrbttgBmt1rofocqo1_500.gif

Pacquiao's best punch of the night

yUmHCib.gif

• Majesty and BleedPurple&Gold like this

hR3rI.png

#198 Lakerace24

Lakerace24

Starter

• 5,140 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Fan Since:Birth

Posted May 04, 2015 - 10:08 AM

Pac was tagging him good in the early rounds, even in the corner.

Someone please explain to me why he was hugging him that early for? He couldn't have been tired, it was too early.

Hell, he pulled that shame [expletive] against Maidana when he thought he was in trouble.

When Floyd gets hit, he hugs because he knows he won't get points taken away. Thats my biggest issue with him, and it's something his fans don't like to talk about. He's quick, he has good feet, his jab is on point, and yet he hugs.

#199 Majesty

Majesty

• Gameday
  • 54,335 posts

Posted May 04, 2015 - 10:37 AM

Against Maidana Mayweather did it early aND banked in the early rounds so he could move during the last few knowing he had it won And coast.

Vs Pacquiao he shut out the last few rounds and made sure Pacquiao had no chance and the first 6 rounds he was feeling him out.

But once Pacquiao threw everything at him in 4 and 6 and mayweather out fought him in the 6th round mayweather knew he'd seen everything Pacquiao had to offer and dominated him over the 2nd half. He didn't do that vs Maidana.

Edited by Majesty, May 04, 2015 - 10:43 AM.

#200 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• Site Admin
  • 15,336 posts
  • Name:Brandon

Posted May 04, 2015 - 04:09 PM

Re-watching the fight, Pacquiao clearly won R4.  I'd say he took R6, also.  There were two others he could have had under his belt in the second half of the fight, but it was almost a toss-up.  I'd give him R9 (I think it was nine), but that's about it for him.

• Majesty likes this

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users