Photo

Lakers Expected To Offer Jimmy Butler Max Contract

Jimmy Butler

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#41 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• Gameday
  • 54,315 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted January 21, 2015 - 12:15 PM

His numbers are dropping because he plays 40 minutes every game... lol thibs runs everyone down the drain man

And that's the problem. 

"Bryant had come to rage against the idea that Howard's clownish disposition could overtake the locker room, the Lakers' culture, and had warned Howard that he would never, ever let it happen." 

#42 Чад

Чад

Kings

• 4,683 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted January 21, 2015 - 09:27 PM

Bulls are already over the cap, so they have no reason not to match. Bulls can't be that cheap after reading the profit they make in Forbes.

¡Hala Madrid! Neymar Rules!  

#43 GCMD

GCMD

Legend

• 12,925 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted January 22, 2015 - 01:30 AM

^^ I dont disagre, but you at least have to try and who the hell knows what happens. I dont think anyone expected Houston to let go of Chandler Parsons either, but they did. Worst case, we make Chicago pay the maximum amount.

Also, the idea that players only choose their destination solely on what they are going to do the following season, instead of the next, say 3-5 or 5-10 years is completely false and while i could see someone like Dragic (29), Rondo (28) or Gasol (29) wanting to go a win-now situation, i think younger guys like Kawhi (23), Butler (25), Reggie Jackson (24) and Brandon Knight (23) could be interested in going to a team like the Lakers - a major market, with a ton of cap space and possibly two young studs in Randle and ...Okafor/Towns/Turner/Mudiay/Russel/Johnson.

Unless CHI jettisons a few of their really good players, there is no upside to Butler starting over with the Lakers...

tenor.gif

#44 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Hall Of Fame

• 8,540 posts
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted January 22, 2015 - 02:59 AM

Unless CHI jettisons a few of their really good players, there is no upside to Butler starting over with the Lakers...

No probably not in Butler's case, but who knows what these guys want.

I think Kawhi Leonard is different though. Parker (32), Manu (37) and Duncan (38) are the core of that team and as they've been, they have to rebuild at some point. Right? In that case, i think Kawhi who is only 23 and from LA could be interested in going to a team like the Lakers rather than having to rebuild with the Spurs in a couple of years. Of course, a top 5 pick this summer probably plays a big part of that too.

Regardless, i dont see either of these guys passing on max offer from a major market. They'll sign it and their respective teams will match.

#45 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Sixth Man

• 3,632 posts
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Dennis Rodman

Posted January 22, 2015 - 06:15 AM

So a guy who grew up in Houston (not near California) and went to Marquette (also not near California but near Chicago) who presumably wants to 1. play on a competitive team, 2.  be coached by a decent coach and 3.  wants to get paid the max he can ... suddenly chooses to sign a max offer sheet with us?  Whether the Bulls choose to march or not (and they will) why would Butler do that?  Sunshine, high taxes, lousy team and a paycheck?

Anything is possible but many things are highly improbable.

• Azazello likes this

Debbie Downer

#46 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 12,139 posts
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted January 22, 2015 - 01:26 PM

He's 25 years old man.  He's going to take the highest offer he can get and LA is a damn good spot to get on as a youngster with Kobe about to be gone.  If LA offers I bet he signs but its up to the Bulls then. 

So a guy who grew up in Houston (not near California) and went to Marquette (also not near California but near Chicago) who presumably wants to 1. play on a competitive team, 2.  be coached by a decent coach and 3.  wants to get paid the max he can ... suddenly chooses to sign a max offer sheet with us?  Whether the Bulls choose to march or not (and they will) why would Butler do that?  Sunshine, high taxes, lousy team and a paycheck?

Anything is possible but many things are highly improbable.

• JGuez likes this

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#47 JGuez

JGuez

All-Star

• 5,999 posts

Posted January 22, 2015 - 01:34 PM

^ People also forget...this is the LA Lakers. If you're a star here then that will get you endorsements.

Chris Paul wasn't getting State Farm commercials when he was in New Orleans....

#48 erfolk

erfolk

Sixth Man

• 3,061 posts
  • Name:Lewis
  • Fan Since:Birth:10-31-86
  • Fav. Laker:All Bout The Name On The Front

Posted January 22, 2015 - 01:47 PM

^ People also forget...this is the LA Lakers. If you're a star here then that will get you endorsements.

Chris Paul wasn't getting State Farm commercials when he was in New Orleans....

Yea but he isn't getting state Farm endorsements with Lakers so that defeats your point. Durant just signed a huge shoe deal and he is in oklahoma city. If you can play and have the personality you will get endorsements. You have to get out of the past people are not coming here because we are the Lakers.

#49 JGuez

JGuez

All-Star

• 5,999 posts

Posted January 22, 2015 - 02:07 PM

Yea but he isn't getting state Farm endorsements with Lakers so that defeats your point. Durant just signed a huge shoe deal and he is in oklahoma city. If you can play and have the personality you will get endorsements. You have to get out of the past people are not coming here because we are the Lakers.

My point is he got them with the LA Clippers which actually helps my argument. It's the city.

The exposure you get in LA is not nearly the same as New Orleans. Durant is the 2nd best player in the league and is the exception to the rule just like LeBron James.

Obviously Chicago is a big market though so my argument for Jimmy isn't as strong here. The point is we will be able to lure away a guy with a max contract from a team that is currently better than we are because they will make more money with us long term.

I'm not only pertaining this argument to Jimmy Butler. I'm talking in general (which is why I didn't mention his name in that post).

#50 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 23,256 posts

Posted January 22, 2015 - 02:29 PM

The LA lakers do increase marketability. You can try to use examples like durant and lebron however you're talking about the two premier players in the NBA who would get endorsements wherever they played

Guys like butler or Anthony Davis guys who aren't established yet would stand to benefit greatly from the stage

Does anyone really think nick young would even be the name he is dating pop stars if he wasn't a laker in LA
Posted Image

#51 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 7,032 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted January 22, 2015 - 02:30 PM

Anyone seen Ryan Kelly in commercials?

Praying for  1. Some Cohesion (Ill fitting parts with young bucks, new guys, and those playing for next contracts may muck things up all season) 2. Better Coaching, No More Tanking (Last season was more of the latter but not sure how much of the former we can count on. Walton with something to prove this season as much as any Laker player) 3. Rookie Watch (Hoping Lonzo outshines his daddy (ROTY??), and Kuzma finds minutes and makes a push for all rook 2nd team)

READY FOR SEASON!!!

#52 Lakerace24

Lakerace24

Starter

• 5,137 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Fan Since:Birth

Posted January 22, 2015 - 02:39 PM

?

Anyone see Ronnie Price in commercials?

See, that logic doesn't apply if you're a scrub.

#53 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 23,256 posts

Posted January 22, 2015 - 02:43 PM

Jimmy butler would become a national name in LA as the star of the lakers

Having said that he's not coming. Unless the Bulls know something we don't and they don't match I doubt they let him walk somewhere else

I see him going to the lakers or Knicks just to get offered the maximum possible (because the Bulls will likely not offere the full max from the get go) and then have the Bulls match. That way he gets to stay in Chicago for the max. That's my assumption anyways
Posted Image

#54 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• Gameday
  • 54,315 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted January 22, 2015 - 02:46 PM

Nope but I see Nick Young.   Also co-hosting red carpets and appearing on awards shows.    

It has its perks if that's your personality. 

Edited by Majesty, January 22, 2015 - 02:47 PM.

"Bryant had come to rage against the idea that Howard's clownish disposition could overtake the locker room, the Lakers' culture, and had warned Howard that he would never, ever let it happen." 

#55 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Sixth Man

• 3,632 posts

Posted January 22, 2015 - 03:32 PM

He's 25 years old man.  He's going to take the highest offer he can get and LA is a damn good spot to get on as a youngster with Kobe about to be gone.  If LA offers I bet he signs but its up to the Bulls then. 

So when he doesnt even sign an offer sheet here, will you guys admit you were very wrong?  I will if he does.

Debbie Downer

#56 JGuez

JGuez

All-Star

• 5,999 posts

Posted January 22, 2015 - 03:35 PM

So when he doesnt even sign an offer sheet here, will you guys admit you were very wrong?  I will if he does.

Wrong about what? No one is saying Jimmy Butler is signing with us for sure. We're just saying we have a shot at him if we're offering a max. 

The only scenario in which he wont look elsewhere from Chicago is if they don't immediately offer him a max.

They offer him a max then it's over because they get to match whatever offer we make.

#57 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Sixth Man

• 3,632 posts

Posted January 22, 2015 - 03:39 PM

^ He may well sign a max offer sheet, it just wont be with us.

Debbie Downer

#58 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 12,139 posts

Posted January 22, 2015 - 04:27 PM

Why wouldn't he?  How any teams got max dollars on the open market for him?  How many of these teams are looking for a wing for their future?  NY maybe?  Who else? 

^ He may well sign a max offer sheet, it just wont be with us.

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#59 androsays

androsays

representing infinity with presidencies

• 5,807 posts
  • Name:andro
  • Fan Since:90s
  • Fav. Laker:kobe

Posted January 22, 2015 - 04:33 PM

Rondo and Jimmy B, that's some lockdown D

I still think the prize of this free agency is Marc, with Lamarcus a close second.

2div

#60 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 12,139 posts

Posted January 22, 2015 - 04:45 PM

So pretty much no one right?

Rondo and Jimmy B, that's some lockdown D

I still think the prize of this free agency is Marc, with Lamarcus a close second.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Jimmy Butler

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users