Photo

Ghost In The Shell

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• Gameday
  • 54,315 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted April 15, 2016 - 09:57 PM

Ok, I have some thoughts. Bear with me if you would.

I've been seeing a lot of defenses for the ScarJo casting that seem to lack a nuanced understanding of a Ghost In The Shell as a story.

The manga came out in 1989, the first film 1995. An era whenJapan was considered the world leader in technology.

Everything hot in that era came out of Japan. Cars, video games, walkmans, all of that. Japan was setting a standard.

This is a country that went from poised to conquer to the Pacific to forcibly disarmed. They poured their resources into their economy.

And as a country that was unable to defend themselves, but was a world leader in tech, it created a relationship to tech that is unique.

Ghost In The Shell plays off all of these themes. It is inherently a Japanese story, not a universal one.

This casting is not only the erasure of Asian faces but a removal of the story from its core themes.

You can "Westernize" the story if you want, but at that point it is no longer Ghost In The Shell because the story is simply not Western.

Understand that media from Asia holds a dear place in the hearts of many Asians in the west, simply because western media doesn't show us.

Ghost In The Shell, while just one film, is a pillar in Asian media. It's not simply a scifi thriller. Not to me, not to many others.

Respect the work for what it is and don't bastardize it into what you want it to be.

@tylermikla the same themes are very strong in Akira too. A lot of anime/manga is narrative about Japan as a country and people.

CgIkfp7WEAEW9Gb.jpg

CgFnnE0WwAEsIJ9.jpg

Edited by Majesty, April 16, 2016 - 12:08 AM.

"Bryant had come to rage against the idea that Howard's clownish disposition could overtake the locker room, the Lakers' culture, and had warned Howard that he would never, ever let it happen." 

#22 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 25,724 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted April 16, 2016 - 11:16 PM

Heres probably the biggest issue with this movie, the audience is very small. Youre not gonna get 100 mill domestic from this movie and it's common knowledge that reling on foreign tickets is a bad approach. I think the average take away from foreign tickets is 30%. With an obvious high budget here(lots of cgi) I just don't see how this would ever make a profit. If you are gonna do a live action movie like this you better make sure the story is amazing. This has Jupiter ascending written all over it.
  • Majesty likes this

#23 Game

Game

Your Daddy

• 12,718 posts
  • Fan Since:Late '80s
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted November 13, 2016 - 07:35 PM

Posted Image

#24 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• Gameday
  • 54,315 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted November 15, 2016 - 11:07 PM

It "looks" like Ghost in the Shell... but.. it looks like they've completely simplified the story. 

"Bryant had come to rage against the idea that Howard's clownish disposition could overtake the locker room, the Lakers' culture, and had warned Howard that he would never, ever let it happen." 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users