Photo

Ghost In The Shell

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• Gameday
  • 54,338 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted January 05, 2015 - 11:34 AM

@superherofeed
SCARLET JOHANSSON officially signs on in 'GHOST IN SHELL'! #HYPE!

B6meirRCYAEELSc.jpg

Um...wooooow...

Edited by Majesty, January 05, 2015 - 11:34 AM.

• j0k3r and Clark Wayne like this

"Bryant had come to rage against the idea that Howard's clownish disposition could overtake the locker room, the Lakers' culture, and had warned Howard that he would never, ever let it happen." 

#2 Clark Wayne

Clark Wayne

Baller

• 1,904 posts
  • Name:Dilan
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted January 05, 2015 - 02:26 PM

Man you work fast Majesty  :bleh:. I just saw this and came here to see what the thoughts were about this. I didn't read the manga and I don't remember the show very well as I didn't watch much or any of it but I remember this coming on Cartoon Network at like 3 in the morning when I was a kid and just getting into that Toonami faze. Is it any good? I see most movies with ScarJo and this anime looks interesting enough to watch to get a good feel for the role she will be playing. 

Edited by Harry Styles, January 05, 2015 - 02:43 PM.

• Majesty likes this

#3 Majesty

Majesty

• Gameday
  • 54,338 posts

Posted January 05, 2015 - 02:34 PM

Man you work fast Majesty  :bleh:. I just saw this and came here to see what the thoughts were about this. I don't remember the show very well as I didn't watch much or any of it but I remember this coming on Cartoon Network at like 3 in the morning when I was a kid and just getting into that Toonami faze. Is is any good? I see most movies with ScarJo and this anime looks interesting enough to watch to get a good feel for the role she will be playing. 

It's extremely good.  Check out the movies as well to have a better idea :) 

• Clark Wayne likes this

"Bryant had come to rage against the idea that Howard's clownish disposition could overtake the locker room, the Lakers' culture, and had warned Howard that he would never, ever let it happen." 

#4 Disaster in Paradise

Disaster in Paradise

Do you wanna tickle my big ol' long toes?

• 11,559 posts

Posted January 05, 2015 - 04:08 PM

I hear a lot of mixed feelings about not having Japanese actors playing Motoko and other GITS characters, same goes for the rumored Akira live-action. 

I'll still watch it, I'm just hoping it doesn't pan out like Dragon Ball Z

Edited by Disaster in Paradise, January 05, 2015 - 04:09 PM.

• Majesty and bigfetz like this

I like to dip my feet in toilet water & smell them.

#5 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 26,345 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted January 05, 2015 - 04:17 PM

Was semi fan of ghost in the shell back in the day. Mostly because I was a young teenager and the show was full of naked chicks lol. I think a live action version wont go well. Its really a anime kinda show. Take away that style and its just another hot chick with a gun movie. 

#6 PhillyLaker24

PhillyLaker24

Starter

• 5,186 posts
  • Name:Joseph
  • Fan Since:2001

Posted January 05, 2015 - 05:50 PM

I hear a lot of mixed feelings about not having Japanese actors playing Motoko and other GITS characters, same goes for the rumored Akira live-action. 

I'll still watch it, I'm just hoping it doesn't pan out like Dragon Ball Z

Same, which I find very funny considering the hypocrisy of it.

For example when the new Annie movie came out with a  black lead some were upset but the majority of the people were fine with it because Annie's race has nothing to do with the story her being a orphan does. Many were supportive of the idea as Idris Alba as the lead for 007 because once again race has nothing to do with the bond character so that is not crucial to the story either.

However, replace a minority lead with a white actor all of a sudden race matters to the story, but the truth is race has no part in the main story mechanics either. Just another thing on the list of people responding different to something that is inherently the same as something else they accept.

Edited by PhillyLaker24, January 05, 2015 - 05:53 PM.

All I want for Christmas is a Laker girl :D

#7 Disaster in Paradise

Disaster in Paradise

• 11,559 posts

Posted January 05, 2015 - 07:56 PM

I guess this situation kinda makes sense since it is set in Japan lol, but really I just fear any live-action adaptions.

From Dragonball Evolution to Malificent, they're just not as good as the animated originals.

#8 Clark Wayne

Clark Wayne

Baller

• 1,904 posts
  • Name:Dilan
  • Fan Since:Birth

Posted January 05, 2015 - 09:25 PM

I guess this situation kinda makes sense since it is set in Japan lol, but really I just fear any live-action adaptions.

From Dragonball Evolution to Malificent, they're just not as good as the animated originals.

Don't forget the amazing The Last Airbender  :bleh:

#9 flota

flota

Barca, Lakers, Cowboys, Chivas

• 3,302 posts
  • Fan Since:2008
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Kobe

Posted January 06, 2015 - 07:49 AM

Awesome
I saw the new OVAs and then started watching the original show, haven't read the Manga but I might do it lol.

I just want to know who will play aramaki :D

About Bond, I just don't care, but Fleming wrote the character as his alter ego, the man he wanted to be, at least in his dreams, maybe the studio should respect that or just ask the remaining family if they are OK with it
  • Majesty likes this
Imposible is nothing.

There is no such thing as a plea of innocence in my court. A plea of innocence is guilty of wasting my time. Guilty. Inquisitor Lord Fyodor Karamazov.

Alea Iacta Est. Julius Caesar.

#10 Disaster in Paradise

Disaster in Paradise

• 11,559 posts

Posted January 06, 2015 - 03:42 PM

I also heard the dude that directed Snow White and the Huntsman is going to direct Ghost in the Shell; disgusting. 

#11 PhillyLaker24

PhillyLaker24

Starter

• 5,186 posts
  • Name:Joseph
  • Fan Since:2001

Posted January 07, 2015 - 09:04 AM

Are there not white people in japan? lol

I think it more has to do with minorities wanting equal representation in hollywood, which is fine. However, if the leg you stand on encouraging more diversity that race doesn't matter to the story line so why not have a minority play it, that logic holds firm if changing the character to a white woman if the race isn't important to the story line. Let's be honest hollywood chooses people who look good to be the front runner of a film. ScarJo is just beautiful and has box office draw hence she got the part. 

Look at it from a marketing perspective: Fans of the anime will most likely check the film out just from plain curiosity to see how the anime was adapted to the big screen(probably badly). Then the other people you have to market GITS to never heard of the anime will be drawn because of well the female lead is great looking and has a name that means something in hollywood to the consumer. On top of that Scarjo has had many parts that fit in with this such as playing black widow and the movie Lucy comes to mind as well. She has shown she can play these type of women assassins well so why should her color matter? 

I couldn't give two [expletive] what the color of a lead actor/actress is unless it is a story line where race actually matters, such as if they cast ethan hawk to play django then outrage is warranted. I get upset when people don't realize how ass backwards they look at things. 

All I want for Christmas is a Laker girl :D

#12 Majesty

Majesty

• Gameday
  • 54,338 posts

Posted January 07, 2015 - 02:27 PM

to me the race of a character matters if their race is their character trait(such as Tigerlily in Peter Pan).  

But there are some roles that aren't defined by race as opposed to how the character is played.   If Scarlett can pull off the character then she'll be fine, and she should be able to as she's a skilled actress. 

#13 flota

flota

Barca, Lakers, Cowboys, Chivas

• 3,302 posts
  • Fan Since:2008
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Kobe

Posted January 07, 2015 - 05:09 PM

Well in the original material it was a Japanese girl lol

As long it's a good movie I don't care, loved the adaptation that cruise made so this could be great
  • Majesty likes this
Imposible is nothing.

There is no such thing as a plea of innocence in my court. A plea of innocence is guilty of wasting my time. Guilty. Inquisitor Lord Fyodor Karamazov.

Alea Iacta Est. Julius Caesar.

#14 Disaster in Paradise

Disaster in Paradise

• 11,559 posts

Posted January 07, 2015 - 07:19 PM

Well in the original material it was a Japanese girl lol

As long it's a good movie I don't care, loved the adaptation that cruise made so this could be great

She is. Motoko Kusanagi is Japanese lol. 

I'm just not on board with the director expected to do this. 

#15 androsays

androsays

representing infinity with presidencies

• 5,819 posts
  • Name:andro
  • Fan Since:90s
  • Fav. Laker:kobe

Posted January 07, 2015 - 11:45 PM

I was totally excited

Then Disaster hit me with the....

I also heard the dude that directed Snow White and the Huntsman is going to direct Ghost in the Shell; disgusting.

samuel-jackson-shark-o.gif

2div

#16 Disaster in Paradise

Disaster in Paradise

• 11,559 posts

Posted January 08, 2015 - 08:01 AM

^ My sentiments exactly, thank you.

Good stuff, androsays :rock:

#17 Majesty

Majesty

• Gameday
  • 54,338 posts

Posted October 13, 2015 - 05:21 AM

I know if Scarlet can play the character she should be fine, but I will say something that doooes need to be addressed. 

There are better actresses in Hollywood of asian descent that are making their name in big ways that SHOULD have gotten consideration for the main role. 

And it really is bothersome to an extent that In the Ghost in a Shell movie we get Scarlet Johannson instead of Rinko Kikuchi whom JUST got an Oscar Nomination and is as gifted as it comes in acting..

ghost-in-the-shell-live-action-film-5-ac

B6mrXx-CQAACpMs.jpg

tumblr_mpzdl5bn3n1ql8jlyo1_500.jpg

There's a LOT of talent in Hollywood that fit these roles a lot better than the people that are cast but they aren't given a chance to prove it. Rinko Kikuchi SHOULD BE the main character in the Ghost in A Shell movie if they are making it, not Scarlet Jo. Though her starpower probably got it out of development hell and is the reason it's being made, I'd honestly at this point be more impressed if she took up a co-starring role as opposed to the role of Motoko Kusanagi. THAT would impress me. I don't see it happening. But it's what needs to happen imo. I'm on board with giving Kikuchi a shot at this! It will open up so many doors, particularly as she's "it" right now and JUST got an Oscar nomination for Babel while also tearing it up on screen in Pacific Rim.   Do the right thing for once Hollywood. 

#18 Majesty

Majesty

• Gameday
  • 54,338 posts

Posted April 15, 2016 - 09:30 PM

*siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiighs* 

CgGuZSdUMAE9-pk.jpg

Ghost In The Shell" Studios Tested CGI To Make White Actors Appear Asian

http://www.comicbook...rs-appear-asian

as opposed to just...paying asian actors..... 

Ok... am legit pissed right now.  BUT I will continue to put updates/trailers/etc here for the movie.   

#19 Majesty

Majesty

• Gameday
  • 54,338 posts

Posted April 15, 2016 - 09:43 PM

Just make Scarlet Jo the co-star and make Rinko Kikuchi the Major if you were gonna go through the trouble of trying to CGI "asian" on white actors just HIRE Asian ones.

It's not that hard to do, people will go see ScarJo anyway, if you're scared it wont' "sell" without her in it then leave her casted, make her the co-star, and make Kikuchi the main character, and all this controversy disappears.  But cat's out of the bag now. 

CgFnnE0WwAEsIJ9.jpg

Edited by Majesty, April 15, 2016 - 09:46 PM.

#20 Majesty

Majesty

• Gameday
  • 54,338 posts

Posted April 15, 2016 - 09:55 PM

more for the next page. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users