190 replies to this topic

#161 3Js

3Js

Off The Bench

• 2,194 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:#8

Posted January 11, 2015 - 01:42 AM

I'm not saying it's the smart thing, I'm just saying that it's not the end of the world to give up the pick this year. we'll have our pick next year and it'll probly be around #10 cuz we probly won't make the playoffs.

#162 MrRJ

MrRJ

Rookie

• 1,093 posts
  • Name:Raymond Perez
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted January 11, 2015 - 04:46 AM

When Kobe retires that frees up a max contract. There has to be a young superstar out there that likes the prospect right? Play with a legend in the backend of his career maybe make the playoffs and as soon as he retires money opens up plus Randle to contend.

Guess it just comes down to trusting the FO and whether you believe Kobe will retire next year. Not every team is built to win this year or next. Free agents have to stop thinking about WIN NOW or they'll just end up on teams the Rockets and Clippers. Second round team exits.

What is so bad about signing up for a 3-5 year rebuild to a championship on a max contract unless you are 30?

Must be the FO.

#163 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• Gameday
  • 54,335 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted January 11, 2015 - 05:35 AM

When Kobe retires that frees up a max contract. 

We'll have max contract space anyway.  That's not what determines whether or not you're successful. 

"Bryant had come to rage against the idea that Howard's clownish disposition could overtake the locker room, the Lakers' culture, and had warned Howard that he would never, ever let it happen." 

#164 lakersince75

lakersince75

Sixth Man

• 3,157 posts
  • Fan Since:1975
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul Jabbar

Posted January 11, 2015 - 09:15 AM

Does anyone realize the Knicks with Phil will have as much money to spend as us??

#165 lakerfan98

lakerfan98

Vice President of Interneting Operations

• 3,430 posts
  • Name:Ryan
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted January 11, 2015 - 09:50 AM

Like idreamshake said it's not the end of the world if we lose our first round pick this year to the suns.  The way this season is going it would be really nice to get a top 5 pick but then next year we'd end up owing our pick to phx anyway (top 3 protected i believe).  And barring a miracle it will be a top 10 pick.  So really whether it's this year or next we will at some point be giving the suns a top 10 pick.  In hindsight we should have better protected the picks we traded for Nash but at the time nobody could have seen this disaster coming.    

#166 lakerfan98

lakerfan98

Vice President of Interneting Operations

• 3,430 posts
  • Name:Ryan
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted January 11, 2015 - 10:07 AM

BTW I'm not trying to be overly pessimistic.  Best case scenario is we keep our pick this year and then make some solid moves in the offseason to improve the team.  We win enough games to compete for a playoff spot in a very tough conference and we end up giving the suns a pick somewhere in the teens next year.  But in IMO I believe our pick next year will be in the 8-10 range so I don't see it being a doomsday scenario if we do end up losing our first round pick this year.  I'd love to be wrong though.     

#167 erfolk

erfolk

Sixth Man

• 3,078 posts
  • Name:Lewis
  • Fan Since:Birth:10-31-86
  • Fav. Laker:All Bout The Name On The Front

Posted January 11, 2015 - 10:38 AM

He was one of the biggest free agents last year, and they had to overpay to keep his talents on the roster. We got lucky that he gave us a hometown discount.

Yea but he can't play everyday and needs a minutes restriction so I don't think we got a discount.

#168 erfolk

erfolk

Sixth Man

• 3,078 posts
  • Name:Lewis
  • Fan Since:Birth:10-31-86
  • Fav. Laker:All Bout The Name On The Front

Posted January 11, 2015 - 10:40 AM

Got news for you, It was no fun moving on from the Jerry West era.

Or the Magic Johnson area.

Nor will it probably be from the Kobe era.

Better off just appreciating the era imo.

That said, weak roster in a conference seemingly as strong as its ever been.

Playoffs are going to be epic and its sad we wont be there. Worse than sad actually.

It's not really news to me watching this team has been horrible. I can careless what Kobe does I am more intrested in seeing how our young players develop.

#169 rossf

rossf

Rookie

• 229 posts
  • Fan Since:'50s
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted January 11, 2015 - 10:41 AM

All the teams at the bottom have players and coaches who are going to do the best they can to win games this season. Their front offices make moves, or don't make moves, based on cap space and who they want in the future on their rosters. Nobody is absolutely assured of any particular draft pick, and nobody's plan is to completely sit on their hands doing nothing but lose games. The Knicks, PJ and Fish would be very happy if Melo got healthy and the team started playing better. Boston and Stevens want their young players to play to win and would be thrilled if they could somehow get into the playoffs. It's only the fan (short for fantasy) who can simplify a season to absurdity, and who obsesses about draft picks over all the other factors that go into building a winning organization.

#170 LakeShow1o1

LakeShow1o1

Superstar

• 7,247 posts
  • Name:The Black Mamba Will Rise
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted January 11, 2015 - 03:26 PM

The key to any rebuilding strategy that we currently have will center around retaining the current pick.  With our luck as of late... something just constantly lingers in the back of my mind, hinting that we'll be left with the 6th pick or higher which of course will end up in Phoenix's hands.

The draft this year is does have talent.  It may not be as deep, and not nearly as overyhyped as last year's draft.  However, their is some quality talent, specifically in the big man department in Okafor and Towns.  Another interesting player of course if Emmanuel Mudiay.  If the Lakers can get there hands on one of those 3 names, it'll make the rebuilding process much much easier.  Throw in Houston's pick that we currently have and maybe we can find an additional role player or gem with some luck.

#171 Shiro

Shiro

Rookie

• 1,058 posts

Posted January 11, 2015 - 03:29 PM

The key to any rebuilding strategy that we currently have will center around retaining the current pick.  With our luck as of late... something just constantly lingers in the back of my mind, hinting that we'll be left with the 6th pick or higher which of course will end up in Phoenix's hands.

The draft this year is does have talent.  It may not be as deep, and not nearly as overyhyped as last year's draft.  However, their is some quality talent, specifically in the big man department in Okafor and Towns.  Another interesting player of course if Emmanuel Mudiay.  If the Lakers can get there hands on one of those 3 names, it'll make the rebuilding process much much easier.  Throw in Houston's pick that we currently have and maybe we can find an additional role player or gem with some luck.

The player we can get with the pick is a nice asset but its not THAT important to the rebuild.

#172 Rekal

Rekal

Rookie

• 1,131 posts
  • Name:J
  • Fan Since:Years
  • Fav. Laker:KB24

Posted January 11, 2015 - 03:39 PM

Fan is short for fanatic

#173 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Sixth Man

• 3,682 posts
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Dennis Rodman

Posted January 11, 2015 - 05:41 PM

but at the time nobody could have seen this disaster coming.    

Actually it was fairly predictable, at least the Nash part of it was.  4 draft picks for a (then) 38 YO PG with known back issues?  If the trade does not work, we have mortgaged our future for nothing.  Even if the trade does work, Nash at best would have been a 1 to 2 year solution and we STILL would have mortgaged the future.  I lost faith in the FO at that point in time.  

#174 Shiro

Shiro

Rookie

• 1,058 posts

Posted January 11, 2015 - 06:26 PM

Actually it was fairly predictable, at least the Nash part of it was.  4 draft picks for a (then) 38 YO PG with known back issues?  If the trade does not work, we have mortgaged our future for nothing.  Even if the trade does work, Nash at best would have been a 1 to 2 year solution and we STILL would have mortgaged the future.  I lost faith in the FO at that point in time.  

The FO obviously expected to be better than they are now and if Dwight resigned the picks probably would've been worthless.

#175 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Sixth Man

• 3,682 posts

Posted January 11, 2015 - 06:41 PM

^ So despite all the data to the contrary, we and the FO should have expected a 38YO PG and a 35 YO SG to continue to play at a high level, without injury and mesh fairly quickly?  Further we should have expected Howard, coming off a major injury and surgery, to be capable of playing at a high level early in the season?  And let's not forget the 4th person here- Gasol- who we should anticipate that at age 32 he would remain injury free, could continue to play at a high level and quickly mesh on the court with a fellow 7 footer?

And we should anticipate the 3 of the big 4 would suddenly play defense at a much higher level, or that Howard would be able to erase all their mistakes?  Unfortunately in hindsight, we were all sort of delusional.

#176 Shiro

Shiro

Rookie

• 1,058 posts

Posted January 11, 2015 - 06:47 PM

^ So despite all the data to the contrary, we and the FO should have expected a 38YO PG and a 35 YO SG to continue to play at a high level, without injury and mesh fairly quickly?  Further we should have expected Howard, coming off a major injury and surgery, to be capable of playing at a high level early in the season?  And let's not forget the 4th person here- Gasol- who we should anticipate that at age 32 he would remain injury free, could continue to play at a high level and quickly mesh on the court with a fellow 7 footer?

And we should anticipate the 3 of the big 4 would suddenly play defense at a much higher level, or that Howard would be able to erase all their mistakes?  Unfortunately in hindsight, we were all sort of delusional.

All I'm saying is that everyone thought this move put the Lakers over the top and nobody just expects injuries on that level. Kobe had his best season in a long time that year and Nash was decent for the 50 games he was on the floor, but we know what happened with Pau and Dwight in addition to the injuries.

#177 Wilfred

Wilfred

All-Star

• 6,947 posts
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted January 11, 2015 - 09:31 PM

First strategy in rebuilding should be to replace Jim Buss

#178 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Sixth Man

• 3,682 posts

Posted January 12, 2015 - 09:27 AM

First strategy in rebuilding should be to replace Jim Buss

Or whoever the FO real decision maker is, which is not clear to me.

#179 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 23,771 posts

Posted January 12, 2015 - 09:51 AM

I don't care if dr. Buss was still here, this franchise isn't coming back until we find an elite player. Outside of the rare case elite players win titles.

Until we find that again it's meaningless who runs the front office. Free agents get swayed by greatness. Great players elevate those around them.

I'm not gonna judge Jim buss until we find a great player

Mitch has already proven he can build a champion with a great player on the roster
Posted Image

#180 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 16,671 posts
  • Name:Julius Jordan
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted January 12, 2015 - 10:37 AM

Let's be real. Titles or bust.
Warriors might never win with Steph. Clippers may not with Blake. Rockets don't look like a title team.

Basically you have teams that sucked through 90% of the 2000s, losing in the 2nd round. Be patient.
  • kball likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: rebuilding, kobe, draft, free agency, trade

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users