Photo

Rebuilding Strategies

rebuilding kobe draft free agency trade

• Please log in to reply
190 replies to this topic

#141 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• Gameday
  • 54,315 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted January 10, 2015 - 01:43 PM

I'd rather trade Hill and Ellington for Perry Jones, Lamb and Perkins and keep Davis. 

Perry can play the 3/4 and fills a much better need than getting Earl Clark or Quincy Miller would have 

Ronnie Price / Jeremy Lin 

Kobe Bryant / Jeremy Lamb/ Jordan Clarkson
Perry Jones / Nick Young / Wes Johnson

Ryan Kelly / Carlos Boozer 

Ed Davis / Tarik Black / Kendrick Perkins / Robert Sacre

Or...you could do the deal with Phoenix and send them Jordan Hill and Wayne Ellington for Gerald Green and Miles Plumlee, that one is probably most likely  

Ronnie Price / Jeremy Lin 

Kobe Bryant / Gerald Green/ Jordan Clarkson
Wesley Johnson / Nick Young / Ryan Kelly

Ed Davis / Carlos Boozer 

Miles Plumlee/ Tarik Black / Robert Sacre

Those two trades probably are the kind the Lakers should pursue.  

OKC is probably desperate for a piece like Hill more so than Phoenix is with Wright.  But who knows.  We'll see what they try to do.  I do know or at least have a strong feeling that Hill is going to be moved soon after the 15th. 

"Bryant had come to rage against the idea that Howard's clownish disposition could overtake the locker room, the Lakers' culture, and had warned Howard that he would never, ever let it happen." 

#142 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 16,544 posts
  • Name:Julius Jordan
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted January 10, 2015 - 02:54 PM

People. Draft picks mean nothing if the player sucks.
Why trade Hill if you want cap room. At this point. You have 2 mini max deals. Like start at 15 per and end at 18.
Jimmy Butler and Dragic and Ed Davis to.go with Randle, Black, Kelly, Clarkson Houston pick, Kobe, and the best cheap options ( see Jamison, Boozer, Ellington, Price, Wes, Xavier, Nick, Ed)

#143 Чад

Чад

Kings

• 4,683 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted January 10, 2015 - 03:03 PM

Your fantasy PHX trade doesn't work under the cap.

I love to see where you are hearing PHX is planning on trading Gerald Green.

¡Hala Madrid! Neymar Rules!  

#144 Majesty

Majesty

• Gameday
  • 54,315 posts

Posted January 10, 2015 - 03:48 PM

People. Draft picks mean nothing if the player sucks.
Why trade Hill if you want cap room. At this point. You have 2 mini max deals. Like start at 15 per and end at 18.
Jimmy Butler and Dragic and Ed Davis to.go with Randle, Black, Kelly, Clarkson Houston pick, Kobe, and the best cheap options ( see Jamison, Boozer, Ellington, Price, Wes, Xavier, Nick, Ed)

Butler is not a cheap option. Chicago is going to max him. 

Edited by Majesty, January 10, 2015 - 03:48 PM.

"Bryant had come to rage against the idea that Howard's clownish disposition could overtake the locker room, the Lakers' culture, and had warned Howard that he would never, ever let it happen." 

#145 Massacre

Massacre

yo

• Contributor
  • 8,487 posts

Posted January 10, 2015 - 03:53 PM

How exactly are we getting Jimmy Butler and Goran Dragic?
  • Majesty and LakerGeezer like this

#146 Holden_Magroin

Holden_Magroin

Rookie

• 101 posts
  • Name:Chris
  • Fan Since:1980
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar & Kobe

Posted January 10, 2015 - 07:50 PM

How exactly are we getting Jimmy Butler and Goran Dragic?

In free agency I assume

#147 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Legend

• 10,852 posts
  • Fan Since:Since 1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted January 10, 2015 - 08:04 PM

With a coke and a smile.

It is all a dream
When the Lakets signed Dragic and Jimmy B

My bad, had a music moment

#148 CueTheRain

CueTheRain

Rookie

• 844 posts
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted January 10, 2015 - 08:29 PM

It's been a while since I've posted here since I've been so busy with work, but I have been checking this regularly.

I don't believe that the Lakers have any true rebuilding plan. Their "plan" seems to consist of begging superstars to come sign here in FA and ignoring the actual team building aspect. Save for some good pickups in Black and Clarkson, I can't name any other decent choices that the FO has made in terms of coaching, roster building, and overall decision making. The past few years have been horrendous, and while I'll always be a fan of the Lakers, it will be in spite of this front office. Now I guess I understand why there are still Knicks fans. I can stand losing if there's a direction or purpose, but getting Kobe higher on the scoring list isn't one.

It looks like the Lakers are honestly trying their absolute hardest to win 30 games and simultaneously gift wrap the pick to Phoenix whilst not making the playoffs. Looking at what Boston and New York are doing, this is just stupid. What are they scared of? Kobe has already been paid; $23.5 million a year is plenty to placate him during a losing season.

To quote Jeanie: "The draft pick to Phoenix, if we don't give it to them this year, we have to give it to them next year, so I don't really see what the logic would be." That USC education of hers is clearly showing. What's wrong with keeping our pick this year? The goal is to give it to Phoenix next year as hopefully, we would have improved substantially. There's nothing that says if we don't keep our pick this year, we'll get it in 2016. I never liked Jeanie any more than Jim, as I think she's incompetent due to her emotional decision making, but this just shows the ineptitude of the FO.

What's truly hurt us over the past few years is the loss of assets for absolutely nothing in return. All logic would dictate that we start stockpiling assets to build up again towards growing talent and/or making a trade for a superstar (example of Harden). Looking at the cases of Dwight, Nash (apparently he's refusing to even come mentor?), and even Pau (who just put up 46 points tonight), we've received absolutely nothing for their departures. It's a large reason why our team consists of Kobe and a bunch of one year deals.

With Boston, New York, Philly firmly in the bottom 3, the Lakers will probably not get the pick this year, with it landing around 7 or 8. Our "rebuilding plan" will consist of begging Marc (fat chance after how we treated Pau) and Rondo (who is almost 30 and not a championship second option) to sign with us. Similarly to last year where they ignored everyone not named LeBron or Carmelo, we probably won't look at anyone else. Unless LeBron, Butler, and DeAndre Jordan suddenly decide to come over, the only improvement next year will be the return of Randle.

If we can keep the pick, that would open up so many more options. We can land a potential stud, or at the very least a valuable trade chip. I hate losing as much as anyone, but in a limbo year like this, sacrificing Kobe's health to hit 30 wins is the worst possible thing. Unfortunately for us, Byron's mandate is to do exactly the worst thing for the team, as he's a terrible coach.

• DanishLakerFan, bfc1125roy, flota and 1 other like this

#149 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 16,544 posts
  • Name:Julius Jordan
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted January 10, 2015 - 08:51 PM

we have 30?

16 for Jimmy

12 for Goran

#150 Majesty

Majesty

• Gameday
  • 54,315 posts

Posted January 10, 2015 - 08:59 PM

Yawn, their biggest trade asset can't be traded for 5 days. No one is breaking down the door for Wesley Johnson and Wayne Ellington solely.

#151 lakersball666

lakersball666

Rookie

• Banned
  • 464 posts

Posted January 10, 2015 - 09:13 PM

Yawn, their biggest trade asset can't be traded for 5 days. No one is breaking down the door for Wesley Johnson and Wayne Ellington solely.

Trust me, no one is even slightly knocking on the door for either of those two players.

#152 Shiro

Shiro

Rookie

• 1,058 posts

Posted January 10, 2015 - 10:12 PM

It's been a while since I've posted here since I've been so busy with work, but I have been checking this regularly.

I don't believe that the Lakers have any true rebuilding plan. Their "plan" seems to consist of begging superstars to come sign here in FA and ignoring the actual team building aspect. Save for some good pickups in Black and Clarkson, I can't name any other decent choices that the FO has made in terms of coaching, roster building, and overall decision making. The past few years have been horrendous, and while I'll always be a fan of the Lakers, it will be in spite of this front office. Now I guess I understand why there are still Knicks fans. I can stand losing if there's a direction or purpose, but getting Kobe higher on the scoring list isn't one.

It looks like the Lakers are honestly trying their absolute hardest to win 30 games and simultaneously gift wrap the pick to Phoenix whilst not making the playoffs. Looking at what Boston and New York are doing, this is just stupid. What are they scared of? Kobe has already been paid; $23.5 million a year is plenty to placate him during a losing season.

To quote Jeanie: "The draft pick to Phoenix, if we don't give it to them this year, we have to give it to them next year, so I don't really see what the logic would be." That USC education of hers is clearly showing. What's wrong with keeping our pick this year? The goal is to give it to Phoenix next year as hopefully, we would have improved substantially. There's nothing that says if we don't keep our pick this year, we'll get it in 2016. I never liked Jeanie any more than Jim, as I think she's incompetent due to her emotional decision making, but this just shows the ineptitude of the FO.

What's truly hurt us over the past few years is the loss of assets for absolutely nothing in return. All logic would dictate that we start stockpiling assets to build up again towards growing talent and/or making a trade for a superstar (example of Harden). Looking at the cases of Dwight, Nash (apparently he's refusing to even come mentor?), and even Pau (who just put up 46 points tonight), we've received absolutely nothing for their departures. It's a large reason why our team consists of Kobe and a bunch of one year deals.

With Boston, New York, Philly firmly in the bottom 3, the Lakers will probably not get the pick this year, with it landing around 7 or 8. Our "rebuilding plan" will consist of begging Marc (fat chance after how we treated Pau) and Rondo (who is almost 30 and not a championship second option) to sign with us. Similarly to last year where they ignored everyone not named LeBron or Carmelo, we probably won't look at anyone else. Unless LeBron, Butler, and DeAndre Jordan suddenly decide to come over, the only improvement next year will be the return of Randle.

If we can keep the pick, that would open up so many more options. We can land a potential stud, or at the very least a valuable trade chip. I hate losing as much as anyone, but in a limbo year like this, sacrificing Kobe's health to hit 30 wins is the worst possible thing. Unfortunately for us, Byron's mandate is to do exactly the worst thing for the team, as he's a terrible coach.

The Lakers already have no talent on their team, but people want Mitch to make moves for the sake of making moves just because other teams are.

Our team is:

Kobe struggling and taking nights off

Jordan Hill who just struggled for the entire month of December and can't be moved yet

A struggling Nick Young

Rookies

Inconsistent Jeremy Lin

Players that couldn't even get more than the vet min in free agent 

This team is already horrible and they only beat other horrible teams outside of the occasional upset that happens with every team. Also, Boston plays in the worst division in the eastern conference so its going to be harder for them to lose and I don't how the Knicks have any more direction than us just because they have Phil Jackson in the front office and he's just now preparing his team to make moves we're already in position to make. If you think the Lakers have no plan than it would probably be better to lose the pick because this year is a weak draft.

#153 erfolk

erfolk

Sixth Man

• 3,069 posts
  • Name:Lewis
  • Fan Since:Birth:10-31-86
  • Fav. Laker:All Bout The Name On The Front

Posted January 10, 2015 - 10:38 PM

The Lakers already have no talent on their team, but people want Mitch to make moves for the sake of making moves just because other teams are.
Our team is:
Kobe struggling and taking nights off
Jordan Hill who just struggled for the entire month of December and can't be moved yet
A struggling Nick Young
Rookies
Inconsistent Jeremy Lin
Players that couldn't even get more than the vet min in free agent

This team is already horrible and they only beat other horrible teams outside of the occasional upset that happens with every team. Also, Boston plays in the worst division in the eastern conference so its going to be harder for them to lose and I don't how the Knicks have any more direction than us just because they have Phil Jackson in the front office and he's just now preparing his team to make moves we're already in position to make. If you think the Lakers have no plan than it would probably be better to lose the pick because this year is a weak draft.

It's crazy how we make Kobe the highest paid player but he needs to take games off and he isn't even with the team. Until we move on from the Kobe era we won't see any type of rebuilding
  • LAkerFan85 likes this

#154 Shiro

Shiro

Rookie

• 1,058 posts

Posted January 10, 2015 - 10:49 PM

It's crazy how we make Kobe the highest paid player but he needs to take games off and he isn't even with the team. Until we move on from the Kobe era we won't see any type of rebuilding

The Lakers told him to not come with the team, and we can still make big moves so its not that big of an issue in terms of starting a rebuild. If anything I would say Melo is worse given his knee and the length of his contract.

Edited by Shiro, January 10, 2015 - 10:50 PM.

#155 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 7,086 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted January 10, 2015 - 11:16 PM

Got news for you, It was no fun moving on from the Jerry West era.

Or the Magic Johnson area.

Nor will it probably be from the Kobe era.

Better off just appreciating the era imo.

That said, weak roster in a conference seemingly as strong as its ever been.

Playoffs are going to be epic and its sad we wont be there. Worse than sad actually.

Praying for  1. Some Cohesion (Ill fitting parts with young bucks, new guys, and those playing for next contracts may muck things up all season) 2. Better Coaching, No More Tanking (Last season was more of the latter but not sure how much of the former we can count on. Walton with something to prove this season as much as any Laker player) 3. Rookie Watch (Hoping Lonzo outshines his daddy (ROTY??), and Kuzma finds minutes and makes a push for all rook 2nd team)

READY FOR SEASON!!!

#156 Чад

Чад

Kings

• 4,683 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted January 10, 2015 - 11:22 PM

He was one of the biggest free agents last year, and they had to overpay to keep his talents on the roster. We got lucky that he gave us a hometown discount.

Edited by Чад, January 10, 2015 - 11:22 PM.

¡Hala Madrid! Neymar Rules!  

#157 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Legend

• 10,852 posts
  • Fan Since:Since 1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted January 10, 2015 - 11:50 PM

Love the Kobe contract chats. They never change... Shoulda. Woulda... Coulda

#158 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,578 posts
  • Fan Since:2004

Posted January 11, 2015 - 12:21 AM

Well said. 

#159 3Js

3Js

Off The Bench

• 2,194 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:#8

Posted January 11, 2015 - 12:59 AM

GUYS WE DO KEEP THE PICK NEXT YEAR IF WE DON'T GET IT THIS YEAR.

#160 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,578 posts
  • Fan Since:2004

Posted January 11, 2015 - 01:32 AM

GUYS WE DO KEEP THE PICK NEXT YEAR IF WE DON'T GET IT THIS YEAR.

But why give away a 5-10 pick to Phoenix when we could keep a 1-5 pick. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: rebuilding, kobe, draft, free agency, trade

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users