190 replies to this topic

#81 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 12,139 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted January 08, 2015 - 10:45 AM

Lol you're right.  He actually mentioned AD, Randle, Stanley Johnson and Knight as a big 4 lol

Can we at least agree NOT TO cut and paste Majesty's wildly insanely overly optimistic very long posts?

C'mon people. Think team first.

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#82 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Legend

• 10,839 posts
  • Fan Since:Since 1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted January 08, 2015 - 11:00 AM

Thats a Majesty pipe dream. Lol

#83 Lord Flashheart

Lord Flashheart

I do the walk of life.

• 2,266 posts
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted January 08, 2015 - 11:10 AM

I would be satisfied with Asik or Koufos,Dragič and Danny Green. Along with two first round picks if we manage to be bad enough it would be a solid base moving forwafd.

We could also steal some veterans with minimums or biannual exception. Of course I would rather have Butler or Knight but I see their teams mathcing anything. And with our cap space frozen for 3 days we could strike out on other signings. So let's see.

Dragic/Clarkson
Kobe/Swaggy
Green/ Stanley Johnson?
Randle/Kelly
Asik/Davis

That should be a playoff team.
Impossible is nothing.

#84 Lord Flashheart

Lord Flashheart

I do the walk of life.

• 2,266 posts
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted January 08, 2015 - 11:26 AM

We should also take a look at DeMarre Caroll, Robin Lopez, Brandan Wright, Kendall Marshall ect.
Impossible is nothing.

#85 vdwielen

vdwielen

Rookie

• 509 posts
  • Name:Maarten
  • Fan Since:2011
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted January 08, 2015 - 01:51 PM

Sir, your scenario is, well totally ridiculous. First, the Lakers will not be in a position to draft Chris Lavert with their Houston pick...and that's a good thing cause Lavert Sucks. But he IS considered a Lottery pick...around the 12-14th area. And the Rockets pick will not be close to that. Also, you can hope and PRAY all you like but...No way do the Bucks just let a player like Knight walk, and not get anything for him, so they Match ANY deal that he gets in free agency.

As for your still ridiculous trade that lands us Jeremy Lamb, and Perkins and OKC 1st rounder ?...well first, OKC just traded their 1st rounder...Remember ? And second, Jordan Hill is not gonna make any difference to them making the playoffs this season, and Lamb has more trade value then Hill, and they have greater needs, so please stop with this. It's is a ridiculous fantasy idea that will NEVER happen, or has never even been RUMORED to happen.

I think in the end the Lakers I feel will end up drafting either 6th or 7th ( Lose pick to the Suns sadly )...pick around 24 from the Rockets pick. And look to TRY and sign Marc Gasol first in free agency..( Lakers need a Big, and always try to build their Core from that )..and if they can't, then they will try to MAYBE get Greg Monroe, and if he stays in Detroit, or signs elsewhere...then I think the Lakers concentrate more on someone like Goran Dragic, and other lesser free agents to add. But forget counting on us keeping our first rounder, or drafting Chris Lavert in the 24th pick range, cause that is Pure Fantasy Island territory. And foget OKC ever being even slightly Interested in Jordan Hill...NEVER gonna happen.

Let me make 1 thing clear.

If the Lakers are that stupid really that stupid getting the 6th or 7th seed and give the pick against the [expletive]ing Phoenix Suns.

They really can just sit on my balls.

I understand organisation keeps saying they try to win much as possible, What should they else say [expletive] you TWC and season ticket holders we're just gonna lose??

And  Offcourse there is the lotery where you can land 6th pick i understand that. ( would be very unlucky and take the Lakers back to the stone age however)

But if they are just that stupid to end the season with the 6th or 7th pick, Wauw i dont now what i'am gonna do but that would just be the most ridiculous action in Laker history.

#86 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• Gameday
  • 54,315 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted January 08, 2015 - 01:56 PM

I don't think OKC is going to trade for Hill mainly b/c Hill's veto power leverage is based on his team option.  He and his agent aren't going to accept a trade unless his 2nd year is guaranteed.  OKC probably doesnt want him past this year either.  The likelihood of getting 2 young prospect for Hill is next to none.  Maybe 1 but not 2.  Hill wouldnt get anything more than 18Mpg in OKC

Pretty much why I said they'd likely have to throw a sweetener and also stated earlier in this thread that the more realistic scenario was them getting one or the other(Lamb or Jones) along with Perkins contract and OKC's pick and not to be surprised. 

Getting Jones AND Lamb would be a "steal" for that very reason. So you aren't exactly disagreeing with me. 

"Bryant had come to rage against the idea that Howard's clownish disposition could overtake the locker room, the Lakers' culture, and had warned Howard that he would never, ever let it happen." 

#87 vdwielen

vdwielen

Rookie

• 509 posts
  • Name:Maarten
  • Fan Since:2011

Posted January 08, 2015 - 02:11 PM

btw Deandre Jordan is a Beast you guys have any idea how we can grab him? soo sad he plays with the Clips i really like him 

#88 epicwolf

epicwolf

#1 Clipper hater #1 Raider hater

• 3,760 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Mamba

Posted January 08, 2015 - 02:56 PM

In order to have a strong built it needs to have a strong foundation. Try building a building or a house with a weak fondation. FOr some reason I don't see a good foundation the lakers have in order to built a championship team. Kobe is on his last leg. OUr so called "future" Julis Randel is pretty much going to be in his real rookie year next year.  How can we built a team with no foundation? Are we waiting on Durant and HOPE that he sign with us?

#89 Majesty

Majesty

• Gameday
  • 54,315 posts

Posted January 08, 2015 - 03:01 PM

In order to have a strong built it needs to have a strong foundation. Try building a building or a house with a weak fondation. FOr some reason I don't see a good foundation the lakers have in order to built a championship team. Kobe is on his last leg. OUr so called "future" Julis Randel is pretty much going to be in his real rookie year next year.  How can we built a team with no foundation? Are we waiting on Durant and HOPE that he sign with us?

You first need to build a strong team that would make Durant or Davis say "hmm".  And that's where our attention needs to be, to make a team strong enough where they could be playoff bound even if Kobe decided to retire.  That's the first step. 

"Bryant had come to rage against the idea that Howard's clownish disposition could overtake the locker room, the Lakers' culture, and had warned Howard that he would never, ever let it happen." 

#90 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Hall Of Fame

• 8,537 posts
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted January 08, 2015 - 11:00 PM

If you think they will commit to paying Knight 15 million a year on a poison pilled contract when he put up virtually the same numbers last year and the Bucks didn't extend him then you my friend haven't been paying attention. 

We'll just have to agree to disagree. 

I dont even know why i bother, but do you really mean to use Knight's lack of development in your argument as to why the Bucks wont match him and at the same time pull for us to get him?

Also, a poison pill contract that kicks in after the cap rise to 90M, that is the trick to getting him?

Finally, do you really believe that the Bucks would allow Knight to walk and then instead gamble on Reggie Jackson or Goran Dragic wanting to go to [expletive]ing Milwaukee?

I know you want us to get Knight and who the hell knows what'll happen, but your arguments are absurd.

#91 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 23,255 posts

Posted January 09, 2015 - 12:20 AM

Dragic to Milwaukee sounds interesting. They need a veteran presence
Posted Image

#92 Massacre

Massacre

yo

• Contributor
  • 8,485 posts

Posted January 09, 2015 - 01:19 AM

I dont even know why i bother, but do you really mean to use Knight's lack of development in your argument as to why the Bucks wont match him and at the same time pull for us to get him?

Also, a poison pill contract that kicks in after the cap rise to 90M, that is the trick to getting him?

Finally, do you really believe that the Bucks would allow Knight to walk and then instead gamble on Reggie Jackson or Goran Dragic wanting to go to [expletive]ing Milwaukee?

I know you want us to get Knight and who the hell knows what'll happen, but your arguments are absurd.

The notion that Milwaukee will let Knight walk in favor of a A) less talented PG in Jackson who will cost around the same or B) an older PG is Dragic who will cost MORE and it is debatable as to whether he is even better than Knight is ridiculous. Dragic is seeking a large deal and his max is a lot higher than Knight's. Logic.

Milwaukee is matching any deal for Knight, poison pill or not. Again, let's not set ourselves up for disappointment. Everyone here would love Knight, but let's be realistic. He's the most important piece of that team.
  • DanishLakerFan likes this

#93 Massacre

Massacre

yo

• Contributor
  • 8,485 posts

Posted January 09, 2015 - 01:24 AM

Also not to mention, but why on earth would Knight even sign an offer sheet here? Are we just assuming that he's going to come running here to sign for whatever we offer him?

Milwaukee is in much better shape than we are and he knows that team can be his. He's got Greek Freak, Parker, Henson and other solid pieces. Who is LA going to put together that's a better young duo than Jabari and Giannis? This is highly contingent on whether we even land our lottery pick. He has no reason to even think about coming to LA as we currently stand.

Edited by Massacre, January 09, 2015 - 01:24 AM.

• DanishLakerFan likes this

#94 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 7,026 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted January 09, 2015 - 05:15 AM

I havent watched enough of him to put a value on his talent.

But if he wanted out of Milw, couldnt he just pull a Greg Monroe and play it out next season there...

then hit as an UFA?

Knight and KD sounds nice

The notion that Milwaukee will let Knight walk in favor of a A) less talented PG in Jackson who will cost around the same or B) an older PG is Dragic who will cost MORE and it is debatable as to whether he is even better than Knight is ridiculous. Dragic is seeking a large deal and his max is a lot higher than Knight's. Logic.

Milwaukee is matching any deal for Knight, poison pill or not. Again, let's not set ourselves up for disappointment. Everyone here would love Knight, but let's be realistic. He's the most important piece of that team.

Praying for  1. Some Cohesion (Ill fitting parts with young bucks, new guys, and those playing for next contracts may muck things up all season) 2. Better Coaching, No More Tanking (Last season was more of the latter but not sure how much of the former we can count on. Walton with something to prove this season as much as any Laker player) 3. Rookie Watch (Hoping Lonzo outshines his daddy (ROTY??), and Kuzma finds minutes and makes a push for all rook 2nd team)

READY FOR SEASON!!!

#95 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 12,139 posts

Posted January 09, 2015 - 05:49 AM

There is no player or collection of players in the next 2 offseasons that are even close to as good as Westbrook, Ibaka and an improving Steven Adams on the market.  Durant already has the best starting 5 he can play with barring something magical happening.   

Even with the #1 overall pick we'd have Okafor, Randle, and at best we'd have to overpay for Reggie Jackson.  What makes anyone thinks a Durant that could still be ringless at that point would want to DOWNGRADE in teammates to chase a ring?  Im still not buying that.  It's not like OKC is Cleveland and Lebron was presented with a can't miss opportunity to team up with 2 top players.  KD leaves for LA he leaves on his own.  Ringless or not by then he can't upgrade on the open market b/c Westbrook > Wall, Ibaka >>>>> Gortat and if you think OKC is cheap then check out Washington. 

You first need to build a strong team that would make Durant or Davis say "hmm".  And that's where our attention needs to be, to make a team strong enough where they could be playoff bound even if Kobe decided to retire.  That's the first step. 

• MambaMentality likes this

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#96 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Sixth Man

• 3,632 posts
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Dennis Rodman

Posted January 09, 2015 - 06:25 AM

Step 0:  Denial/ wishful thinking/ praying for a miracle (where the Lakers FO is right now)

Step 1:  recognize your issues, gather assets (where the Knicks are right now)

Step 2:  start to assemble assets into a workable roster that can compete nightly (Milwaukee)

Step 3:  use spare assets to trade for missing pieces to be able to contend (Cleveland)

We have guys swinging for the fences here, trying to be back in contention in a year or two.  It rarely works that way.  But then again I know we are the special franchise .....

Edited by LakerGeezer, January 09, 2015 - 07:23 AM.

Debbie Downer

#97 epicwolf

epicwolf

#1 Clipper hater #1 Raider hater

• 3,760 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Mamba

Posted January 09, 2015 - 10:18 AM

Lets be real. In order to built anything or even rebuilt anything, one needs to have a good foundation. Who wants to built a house on quick sand?  The Lakers right now doesn't have a good foundation so rebuilding all you want, we don't even know who we will built around yet. Kobe is going to retire in about a year so we can't built around him.  Julius Randle? Technically he is not even in the league right now so he will be a rookie next year for us. So we rebuilding around him?  Right now, we have no foundation. Rebuilding what? Around who?  THis thread makes me depress because reality is nobody knows.

#98 MrRJ

MrRJ

Rookie

• 1,093 posts
  • Name:Raymond Perez
  • Fan Since:I was born

Posted January 09, 2015 - 10:46 AM

Step 0:  Denial/ wishful thinking/ praying for a miracle (where the Lakers FO is right now)

Step 1:  recognize your issues, gather assets (where the Knicks are right now)

Step 2:  start to assemble assets into a workable roster that can compete nightly (Milwaukee)

Step 3:  use spare assets to trade for missing pieces to be able to contend (Cleveland)

We have guys swinging for the fences here, trying to be back in contention in a year or two.  It rarely works that way.  But then again I know we are the special franchise .....

Lol every team you mentioned is in the east...

Edited by MrRJ, January 09, 2015 - 10:46 AM.

#99 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 12,139 posts

Posted January 09, 2015 - 10:53 AM

That kind of makes his point much more clearer.  Contending the next year or 2 is next to impossible.

Lol every team you mentioned is in the east...

• LakerGeezer likes this

#100 Majesty

Majesty

• Gameday
  • 54,315 posts

Posted January 09, 2015 - 11:28 AM

Building around Randle would be your best bet as opposed to building around Kobe.  

You build a roster that makes life easier for him, it essentially will make life easier for Kobe as well. 

As I said you need to build a team that it would be appealing for a young difference maker to join, and you need to build it upon the idea that Kobe is going to retire.  You want Kobe to be an 'icing on the cake' more so than the 'final piece that will make us a championship contender.'  

You want to build a team that's going to be contending or at least you are fully confident is making the playoffs even if Kobe retired.     

That is the goal you should be heading towards.  You will overpay for a point guard(throwing the max at him if you must, and you know who I have in mind already).  And you see who you're drafting.   At the moment center is going to be your 'weakest' position.  

As the Lakers are already on pace to have a worse year than last year, them being in the bottom 5 of the lottery is now most likely extremely likely, though I'll stay on my 4-7 prediction range as there's many other teams that are headed towards a backslide. 

do NOT draft Mudiay.   Go after Stanley Johnson, Justise Winslow or Karl Towns(who the more I see of him may stay a 2nd year, you never know, he looks the most raw but has potential out the ears).   

What the Lakers need is a guy that has a high upside to be a perimeter defender, that's Johnson and Winslow, the big man with defensive potential is Towns and of course WCS who has Chandler written all over him.

The reason why I'm high on a Winslow/Randle or a Stanley Johnson/Julius Randle 3/4 combination is because of their strength, and potential to work off each other.  

Stanley Johnson while I worry about his ability to create his own shot does have lock down defender / role player written all over him.   

This is a good thing.  We will need someone that can match up against 3s and 4s and is fast enough that they could stay in front of 2s and potentially 1s.  That's Stanley Johnson. 

Justise Winslow is very similar, just doesn't have the size that Johnson has, but size is the easiest thing to add and is more of a freak athlete in terms of his leaping ability,  whereas Johnson has strength and size, Winslow has athleticism and speed.   They both have great potential as defenders though Johnson's is slightly higher as he could likely handle defending more positions.

Karl Towns is that guy who if he kept on pace to improve, in 3-4 years he'd be a problem for anyone to go up against in the league.   Okafor is what he is.   He doesn't have much 'upside' because he's pretty much already there, offensively and defensively. All that's left is for him to get up to NBA speed. 

In many ways Stanley Johnson also is, as far as defense goes.  Offensively, the thing he needs to work on is his jump shot and picking his spots better.   I think the perfect game for him was that game vs Michigan.   That's the perfect game for him in terms of what he has to do at the NBA level to maximize himself.

That in microcosm is what is considered the ideal blueprint for a guy like Stanley Johnson if he wants to make a name in the NBA. 

The reason why I'm high on LeVert and hope he falls to us 20-23 is because he has a few baseline abilities that make it work for wings to get that next level in the NBA. 

Aside from his scoring ability he also has the ability to change directions at the drop of a dime.  That's what separates scorers and people like Harden in the league from people like DeMar Derozan whom have to rely on their freakish athleticism to make their plays.   Same thing that separates those like Kobe and McGrady from those like Ray Allen.   

Change direction and not being a simple straight line driver is what can make a very good scorer in the NBA and LeVert has that in spades.   He doesn't have out of this world athleticism, but he makes up for it through his direction changing, passing vision and scoring ability.  So I'm high on him.  

I think his ceiling in the league is probably being a 17/4/5 or an 18/5/5 player in all honesty.     He could become 'special' but I'm not gonna put that on him to be a 23/6/5 guy just yet.  He needs to get out of college first and start proving his merit in the NBA.  

Again, that's just why I'm high on those two in particular.  Because they fit on the team now, and they fit on the team 2-4 years from now when Kobe has retired.   The two most important positions we fill with the 'future' in terms of the draft prospects would be your 2 and your 3.  If you're looking for the superstar talent already in the NBA or the all-star level talent already in the NBA that leaves your 1 and your 5 positions to be filled and you'll have options, not just this off-season but the next 2 off-seasons following that to add to those positions.  

I can live with the 1 and 5 positions being slightly underwhelming till we landed such a talent in free agency. 

If Towns stays or if he looks as raw.   Then there is another center I would take, I know, I know Okafor has all the hype because he has a post game.  But we know what he is, and will be offensively and defensively.  there's another guy out there that looks like he could be a beast on both ends however.    

Myles Turner. 

Now, one thing about Myles Turner that should be noticed is that defense wise, he looks absolutely scary, he is averaging 2,7 blocks per game, which is more than WCS is this year.  Turner also has shown he can hit shots from the outside and the mid range, shooting 36% from three and 48% from the field, which for a center that picks and pops like he does, is not a bad thing.   Also keeping in mind the fact the guy shoots nearly 90% from the free throw line and you my friend have a big that could fit both needs, offensively and defensively that the league would ask for in a big man, particularly in the system Scott likes to run.    Jordan Hill is serving the purpose right now, Turner has the 'potential' to take it to another level, and be a better defender than Jordan Hill could hope to be at this point. 

He's also rebounding 7 times per game which is still impressive.  Okafor is the only big in that top 5 that has snagged down more rebounds than Turner per game.  

The reason he is more my sleeper pick than my go-to center is that he doesn't show the same efficiency when he doesn't have an obvious advantage physically against his opponents, his name opponents in particular.  

IF he can prove that those bad performances were just bad games over the course of the season and bounces back then he'll get strong consideration.   But till that point he's a sleeper and I don't rank him skill wise over Okafor or Towns(in terms of upside).  But if he has a strong 2nd half of the season in particular against the named opponents and people he doesn't hold the clear physical advantage over. 

In terms of the NCAA in general, someone that could rise on the boards in the coming weeks, I'd keep an eye on Jakob Poeltl. Whom plays on Utah with mah boy Delon Wright. 

Edited by Majesty, January 09, 2015 - 11:33 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: rebuilding, kobe, draft, free agency, trade

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users