190 replies to this topic

#41 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Sixth Man

• 3,682 posts
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Dennis Rodman

Posted January 06, 2015 - 08:00 AM

We get some young guns and Byron out of town and let those young guys work with some real coaching we will see some fun ball.  It's not the losing thats killing LA its the meaningless losing thats killing us.  Prime example are the Bucks and Magic last year.  Bucks have improve significantly w/o any major additions to their team.  Everyone wants to assume they tanked last year but they just weren't good but the reps those young guys took were valuable.  Greek Freak, Knight and Middleton have improved a lot over a year.  In LA we have guys like Ronnie Price getting bulk minutes at PG which leads to nothing.  There is nothing learned or gained from the losses our team is taking this year. 

This.  There is losing and then there is losing with a plan for the future.  We play only for ratings now with no viable middle/ long term plan.

Phil is dumping payroll and attitude players in NY, basically purging the roster.  The Knicks will get worse for awhile and then will get alot better.  Making sure they get a top 5 pick this year.  He had to give up Shumpert to get rid of Smith, tells you how bad he wanted to dump Smith.

#42 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 12,283 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted January 06, 2015 - 08:24 AM

Well getting rid of Shumpert isn't really losing.  He's in his 4th year and almost 25.  He has yet to get better and actually has regressed a bit.  Maybe he needs a change of scenery but that was what they said about Wes Johnson as well. 

This.  There is losing and then there is losing with a plan for the future.  We play only for ratings now with no viable middle/ long term plan.

Phil is dumping payroll and attitude players in NY, basically purging the roster.  The Knicks will get worse for awhile and then will get alot better.  Making sure they get a top 5 pick this year.  He had to give up Shumpert to get rid of Smith, tells you how bad he wanted to dump Smith.

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#43 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Sixth Man

• 3,682 posts
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Dennis Rodman

Posted January 06, 2015 - 08:33 AM

Well getting rid of Shumpert isn't really losing.  He's in his 4th year and almost 25.  He has yet to get better and actually has regressed a bit.  Maybe he needs a change of scenery but that was what they said about Wes Johnson as well. 

Maybe, I view Shumpert as a decent/ above average perimeter defender which is what Cavs were after I believe.  He has been hurt alot though.  

I  think Phil won this trade, given the Knicks goals.  He dumped payroll.  He got rid of a whack job in Smith.  He grabbed a pick.  Knicks almost assuredly  are looking at top 5 lottery pick now.

Be interesting to see what other moves Griffin and Presti have in mind because this deal in no way addresses their team's core issues.  You can argue that Cavs got a wing defender I guess but they have alot of other needs as well, like a decent defensive big man. Not sure where Presti is going, maybe he is going to move Jackson now.

• Jody Smokes likes this

#44 MambaMentality

MambaMentality

Rookie

• 417 posts
  • Fan Since:1994

Posted January 06, 2015 - 08:39 AM

I generally view you as the counter to Majesty's unbridled homerism on this forum. But it's funny how your cynical tone, like in this post minus the bit about Wes, can sound almost exactly like Majesty at times.

• Jody Smokes likes this

#45 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 12,283 posts

Posted January 06, 2015 - 09:05 AM

No way man lol.  I just don't think Shump is very good honestly.  He had a time like other young players an area of improvement that he could reach but 4 years in does nothing better than what he was doing in year 1.  It's similar to Wes, all these tools and "this is the year" and it never comes. 

I generally view you as the counter to Majesty's unbridled homerism on this forum. But it's funny how your cynical tone, like in this post minus the bit about Wes, can sound almost exactly like Majesty at times.

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#46 lakersball666

lakersball666

Rookie

• Banned
  • 464 posts

Posted January 06, 2015 - 09:11 AM

No way man lol.  I just don't think Shump is very good honestly.  He had a time like other young players an area of improvement that he could reach but 4 years in does nothing better than what he was doing in year 1.  It's similar to Wes, all these tools and "this is the year" and it never comes. 

I agree. Shumpert is a legend in his OWN mind...and his agents. Yeah, he can D it up at times. But lets not make him out as a All-time great defender. He is slightly above average. And he always gets dinged up. Plus, ANY NBA player who is named after a former

" Super Model " is not a good thing.   :laughing:  

• LakerGeezer likes this

#47 MrKnowItAll

MrKnowItAll

Starter

• 5,458 posts
  • Name:Yosif
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe bryant

Posted January 06, 2015 - 01:05 PM

My strategy?

Stockpile picks (can never have too many)
Be willing to overpay for guys that are young and are rising players. Mix it in with a player or two like a rondo or a Marc Gasol to be able be respectable and a realistic option for the marquee free agents that will be becoming available in the next couple of years.

And the most important one of all, draft well. You can't be wasting these picks because we're not stacked anymore, these aren't luxury picks, these are necessity.

#48 JayTheGreat

JayTheGreat

Sixth Man

• 3,367 posts
  • Fan Since:1994
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted January 06, 2015 - 01:52 PM

Maybe, I view Shumpert as a decent/ above average perimeter defender which is what Cavs were after I believe. He has been hurt alot though.

I think Phil won this trade, given the Knicks goals. He dumped payroll. He got rid of a whack job in Smith. He grabbed a pick. Knicks almost assuredly are looking at top 5 lottery pick now.

Be interesting to see what other moves Griffin and Presti have in mind because this deal in no way addresses their team's core issues. You can argue that Cavs got a wing defender I guess but they have alot of other needs as well, like a decent defensive big man. Not sure where Presti is going, maybe he is going to move Jackson now.

This. This is what we should be doing. Make the decision to go all out roster dump or stay put and have no real plan. The knicks obviously have a plan which is more than I can say with us. We just need to make up our minds.

#49 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• Gameday
  • 54,335 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted January 06, 2015 - 02:20 PM

Shumpert hasn't looked the same since his injury and hasn't even really gotten back to the level he was back then. 

We keep waiting for him to become something but he is what he is.

Heck if we even put Shump's stats next to Wes Johnson

9.3/3.3/3.4 

9.4/1.6/3.7

And their career stats

7.9/2.2/3.5

8.3/1.4/3.3 

There really isn't that much difference, except one was drafted 4th and one was drafted 17th and Wes is more athletic.   

Iman replaces a need for the Cavs because of Marion's injury, but at the same time the most glaring problem with the Cavs is having no legitimate rim protector.  And no, Dalembert is not the answer.  There's a reason he's being waived. 

The Cavs are now in a position of making runs at guys that have been disappointments or didn't pan out and hoping that they find themselves there or in some way shape or form stick. 

Pretty much what the Lakers are doing now.  But the problem is the Cavs were predicted by many to be a Finals contender.  They're in a position of desperation now.  Of Iman keeps being himself and they have to settle for the likes of Dalembert as their last line of defense there could be more problems.

Keep in mind they got Shumpert(who couldn't save the Knicks defense when it was already bad) and they have JR Smith, who will do what Waiters did off the bench role if not a little more effectively. 

So all and all. The Cavs upgraded from C+ talent to B- Talent in JR Smith.    And upgraded Shumpert at their point guard position who is a C to C+ talent as well.  

Ultimately the Cavs problem is their defense, and Shumpert by himself doesn't save them from their defensive woes, just as he didn't save the Knicks from theirs. 

The Knicks won that trade.  If they go get Sanders from the Bucks now they'll win it even more.

Edited by Majesty, January 06, 2015 - 02:21 PM.

"Bryant had come to rage against the idea that Howard's clownish disposition could overtake the locker room, the Lakers' culture, and had warned Howard that he would never, ever let it happen." 

#50 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Hall Of Fame

• 8,711 posts
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted January 06, 2015 - 10:35 PM

^ You really hate the Cavs, huh.

#51 Massacre

Massacre

yo

• Contributor
  • 8,550 posts

Posted January 06, 2015 - 10:44 PM

Why would New York make a trade for the sole purpose of clearing cap only to go after Sanders and his contract.

"Hey let's clear cap room and get rid of a head case only to add more salary and another head case."
  • Jody Smokes likes this

#52 muncher

muncher

Rookie

• 626 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Gary Vitti

Posted January 06, 2015 - 11:12 PM

Can Lakers go after Sanders if the bucks want to trade him? Jordan Hill maybe? 

#53 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 16,673 posts
  • Name:Julius Jordan
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted January 06, 2015 - 11:15 PM

hell no

• Jody Smokes likes this

#54 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 7,537 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted January 07, 2015 - 04:16 AM

This. This is what we should be doing. Make the decision to go all out roster dump or stay put and have no real plan. The knicks obviously have a plan which is more than I can say with us. We just need to make up our minds.

Maybe.

Doesn't mean it'll work.

And if not, the suck is on for 5 years

Edited by kball, January 07, 2015 - 04:20 AM.

Praying for  1. Some Cohesion (Ill fitting parts with young bucks, new guys, and those playing for next contracts may muck things up all season) 2. Better Coaching, No More Tanking (Last season was more of the latter but not sure how much of the former we can count on. Walton with something to prove this season as much as any Laker player) 3. Rookie Watch (Hoping Lonzo outshines his daddy (ROTY??), and Kuzma finds minutes and makes a push for all rook 2nd team)

READY FOR SEASON!!!

#55 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 12,283 posts

Posted January 07, 2015 - 05:31 AM

What is up with the obsession on this board for LARRY SANDERS?!! WTF.  It's borderline weird like the Beasley obsession.  The guy had 1 great season and the advance stat nerds raved about him.  They rated him the best defensive anchor in the NBA.  Nevermind the fact he can't stay on the floor for more than 25 min or so because he's extremely foul happy and can't score, nevermind that he has some serious personal issues that aren't exactly public right now.  Larry Sanders is not some can't miss player. 

Edited by Jody Smokes, January 07, 2015 - 08:36 AM.

#56 vdwielen

vdwielen

Rookie

• 509 posts
  • Name:Maarten
  • Fan Since:2011
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted January 07, 2015 - 11:15 AM

Next year the Lakers have a team option 9 mil on Hill´s contract.

Is it just me or should the Lakers trade Hill right now for younger players or draft picks.

With Ed David playing this way and the big´s that are free agent next season there´s no way Lakers should lift his 9 mil contract.

Lose as much as you can grab that top 5 pick. Go for a big in FA and trade Hill now we still can

Edited by vdwielen, January 07, 2015 - 11:15 AM.

#57 Чад

Чад

Kings

• 4,683 posts

Posted January 07, 2015 - 12:02 PM

Hill & Lin need to be traded.

¡Hala Madrid! Neymar Rules!  

#58 Disaster in Paradise

Disaster in Paradise

Do you wanna tickle my big ol' long toes?

• 11,556 posts

Posted January 07, 2015 - 12:38 PM

[expletive] it, man. Just tank, and get a coach that plays rookies and uses system basketball.

Edited by Disaster in Paradise, January 07, 2015 - 12:40 PM.

• flota likes this

I like to dip my feet in toilet water & smell them.

#59 vdwielen

vdwielen

Rookie

• 509 posts
  • Name:Maarten
  • Fan Since:2011
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted January 07, 2015 - 02:52 PM

How cool to get Lamb and other young players or draft picks. I really dont understand why a ronnie price is on the roster for example.

Hill has some trade value. Its just like what happend with Gasol. Dont understand why they didnt trade him while they had the chance.

#60 Shiro

Shiro

Rookie

• 1,058 posts

Posted January 07, 2015 - 04:04 PM

The Knicks' plan is get Gasol or Rondo.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: rebuilding, kobe, draft, free agency, trade

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users