Photo

Rebuilding Strategies

rebuilding kobe draft free agency trade

• Please log in to reply
190 replies to this topic

#21 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• Gameday
  • 54,335 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted January 03, 2015 - 06:43 PM

This is actually not a bad plan. I don't think its likely Durant leaves OKC just yet, but you never know. Davis will be very, very tough to grab. The Pelicans would really have to [expletive] up there. But we also don't know what the new CBA will look like, so it's difficult to say for sure. 

Yep, Davis is the easier target, particularly if you've built a more solid core with the cap room to add something more to it.   Besides that talent will be 2-3 seasons into their careers so we'll at least have an idea where they may be headed. 

"Bryant had come to rage against the idea that Howard's clownish disposition could overtake the locker room, the Lakers' culture, and had warned Howard that he would never, ever let it happen." 

#22 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 23,788 posts

Posted January 03, 2015 - 11:17 PM

Davis is a lock in New Orleans once they offer him his first max this summer.

His 2nd one is where it's going to get tricky, as with every other star in this league. That's a long time from now, but the opportunity will eventually present itself. He's going to test FA.

Which is what I'm counting on. We aren't getting Davis at 23 or 24. But 26-27 when his first contract with them is up. That's when our opening is. That's when we have a chance if we build a more attractive core than new orleans
Posted Image

#23 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Hall Of Fame

• 8,715 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted January 04, 2015 - 01:27 AM

First thing you do is sell high on Jordan Hill before he has so many bad games you'll have to settle for a 2nd round pick for him, you make Davis your starting 5 and when Kelly is ready you move him to your starting 4 and you keep Black and Boozer off the bench.  OR you move Boozer back to the starting lineup and make Kelly your backup 4 and Black your backup 5.  

You also move Sacre for a late 2nd round pick if you get the chance.   See also what you can get for Nash's contract. 

Play the rest of this season out and embrace Kobe's style adaptation, continue adapting the team style around the ball movement and make it your team's identity going forward.  

Let the season play out and try to remain as healthy as possible and finish the season healthy and let the picks fall where they may. 

Considering Detroit's emergence and the fact that this Lakers team as stands is good to be consistently competitive but still needing that extra push to get over the hump, the bottom 5 teams in the NBA could wind up being the 76ers, the Knicks, the Timberwolves, the Lakers and Utah.  Although Boston is probably there too.

Anyway, should the Lakers land a top 5 pick I don't think it would be number 1 or even 2. 

So we're looking at 3-5 range most likely. 3-6 depending on other circumstances.   If it falls into the top 5 or is within the range of 3-5 draft Stanley Johnson.

Now the 2nd first round pick, which belongs to Houston is a very determining factor.  if Houston falls to the 8th seed that pick falls to 20th for us. 

Leaving us in range of the likes of Caris LeVert and Delon Wright(who is rising immensely and may wind up going top 10 or in Elfrid Payton territory. 

Above all else I want our pick ahead of the Spurs and I'd like us to draft Caris LeVert with it.  

There's your future 2 and 3 to pair with Julius Randle at the 4. 

Re-sign Ed Davis, extend Tarik Black, keep Ryan Kelly.  See if you can re-sign Lin.  

Do your due dilligence to test the free agency waters, ask Marc Gasol(who will likely decline), make a call to Rondo, stuff like that.  

Once those two ventures fail, go all in on Brandon Knight and offer him 13-15 mill.  If the Bucks match that, then oh well, you tried.  

Go after Reggie Jackson "if" he's available still, and you can probably land him for a little less, the question is if you think he's worth it. 

Anyway that is the bulk of your off-season moves, you can bring back Wes or Ellington if you wanted to but you mostly are done as far as off-season goes. 

Your roster and starting lineup for last year is hopefully as follows 

Starters: 
Brandon Knight
Kobe Bryant
Stanley Johnson

Julius Randle

Ed Davis 

Bench:
Jeremy Lin / Jordan Clarkson
Nick Young / Caris LeVert
Wesley Johnson(or Wayne Ellington)
Ryan Kelly / 2nd round pick
Tarik Black  /2nd round pick 

There's a 14 man roster, you can have a 15th spot if you find a gem in training camp or what have you.  But that's generally your roster going into next season.  

That's not bad at all, it is building to something at least. 

Anyway, your next off-season is the Durant off-season with the cap jump where you'll go all in on Durant and try to convince him to come to the Lakers.  

The solid part of this is that if Durant says yes, Kobe likely returns and considering everything else and the rookies getting the year under their belt(including Randle) then this potentially puts the Lakers in a good position moving forward.  If Durant says no, then it just becomes an extension of the previous year where you hopefully make the playoffs or make a few other moves at the deadline and see what you land.    Worst case scenario is Durant says no and Kobe retires.    

At that point the season becomes about the development of LeVert, Johnson and Randle and you're prepping for the next off-season to run at Anthony Davis if he denies his extension.   

The season then becomes about watching the young team and seeing what damage they could do in their 2nd years and how they've grown and how far Brandon Knight can take them all as he'd have the mot experience.  They are a "phoenix suns" like team in terms of potential and MAYBE knocking at the 9th seeds door, or if anything they could sneak in over a team like the Suns or the Pelicans.  

Making the playoffs would likely be the best case scenario for that season, especially if the Pelicans miss, it increases your pitch to a guy like Anthony Davis who sees a bunch of young talent starting to come into it's own in their 3rd year, with a lot of cap space as it's under rookie contracts and with enough money to pay him the max, as well as a young point guard in Brandon Knight just hitting his prime, 4th year Julius Randle, and a 3rd year Stanley Johnson and a 3rd year Caris LeVert.  If they all are coming into their own  then it may be an enticing team for Davis to join and see what they can do with.  

IF all goes according to plan(and perfect scenario) your starting lineup for the 2017-2018 Los Angeles Lakers would be as follows.  

Starters:
Brandon Knight
Caris LeVert
Stanley Johnson
Julius Randle
Anthony Davis 

Bench: 
Jordan Clarkson
Nick Young

Tarik Black 

Ed Davis 
(hopefully another 2nd rounder that panned out)

and maybe Ryan Kelly would be in it as well.

Anyway, that team not only makes the playoffs that team is a team on the ups, along with the also coming into their own Minnesota Timberwolves.    

And look at that matchup on paper and tell me it wouldn't be one of the most exciting games of the season 

Lakers vs Timberwolves 

Brandon Knight / Ricky Rubio

Caris LeVert / Zach LaVine 
Stanley Johnson / Andrew Wiggins 

Julius Randle / Anthony Bennett or Young or someone else they drafted(maybe Towns or Winslow)

Anthony Davis / Gorgui Dieng 

Fantastic matchup imo. 

Anyway that's probably how I'd be rebuilding the Lakers. But my first step would be doing anything necessary (without being robbed of talent) to come out of the draft with both Caris LeVert and Stanley Johnson that doesn't upset the rest of the plans stated above.    

Perhaps you can land something with trading away Jordan Hill along with filler such as Sacre and/or potentially Ellington(although I personally want him to finish his season as a Laker and playing for his father). 

Your rebuilding strategy is based on: 

1. getting a top 5 pick, despite trying to win as many games as possible. 

2. Caris Lavert falling a lot lower than currently projected. 

3. Anthony Davis signing in LA. 

I'd say that is more than just a long shot.

IMO this is the strategy: 

Version 1: getting the top 5 pick. 

1. Have a fire-sale right now. Lin, Hill, Ellington and maybe even Davis should be moved for young players on rookie deals or picks. For the right price, i'd move Swaggy as well. I wouldn't mind keeping some of the guys around, like Davis, but considering the fact that they may be gone this summer anyway, i'd rather cash in now if possible. 

2. That will probably assure the top 5 (although nothing is certain) as well as a top 31-35 pick. 

The reason why this is so important is because we need young talent and because depending on what happens in the summer, we may not be able to get the same type of talent in the draft next summer. 

3. Draft the best available players with the top5, Houston-pick and 31-35pick. Those three picks could land us Myles Turner, Rondae Hollis-Jefferson and Dakari Johnson or, if we're lucky, Karl Towns, Kelly Oubre and Justin Anderson. 

4. In the summer, we do our due dilligence on the big names, such as Hibbert, Marc Gasol, Asik, Jimmy Butler, Dragic and Kawhi Leonard, which all will be matched (probably). When that happens, we offer Parsons-esque deals to KJ McDaniels, Patrick Beverly, Iman Shumpert, Tobias Harris, Brandon Knight etc. Hopefully we end up with 1-2 players after which we try to fill out our roster with veterans and min. contracts (like last season). 

The homerun would be Kawhi Leonard and Dragic or Hibbert and KJ McDaniels but in the real world, perhaps we could get Brandon Knight and Arron Afflalo. 

In other words, it's not unrealistc to draft: Myles Turner, Hollis-Jefferson and Dakari Johnson and it isn't unrealistic to sign Brandon Knight and Afflalo, which would look like this: 

Brandon Knight / Jordan Clarkson

Kobe Bryant / Arron Afflalo

Hollis-Jefferson / Nick Young 

Julius Randle / Ryan Kelly

Myles Turner / Dakari Johnson / Tariq Black. 

...plus whatever Lin, Davis, etc. can land us. 

If this isn't an ideal situaion for Westbrook, Durant and Anthony Davis in a couple of years, i dont know what is. 

Version 2: minus top 5 pick. 

Basically the same as above, but Phoenix get lucky and we dont get the top 5. 

In that case, i'd draft based on upside only and i wont go after any veterans (like Afflalo). 

Perhaps i'd try to package up a few picks and move up in the draft and i'd accept another season of being horrible (2015/16) - but with the pick. 

#24 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 7,537 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted January 04, 2015 - 11:03 AM

^ You know how they have highlight shows for sports?

There should be a service on here that snips the highlights from overly long posts (maj. Danish) to those of us who 'want' to read them but just cant get thru 'em.

Anyone else on board? Say Aye

• M.X.M. and LakerGeezer like this

Praying for  1. Some Cohesion (Ill fitting parts with young bucks, new guys, and those playing for next contracts may muck things up all season) 2. Better Coaching, No More Tanking (Last season was more of the latter but not sure how much of the former we can count on. Walton with something to prove this season as much as any Laker player) 3. Rookie Watch (Hoping Lonzo outshines his daddy (ROTY??), and Kuzma finds minutes and makes a push for all rook 2nd team)

READY FOR SEASON!!!

#25 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Sixth Man

• 3,682 posts
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Dennis Rodman

Posted January 04, 2015 - 11:57 AM

This is probably the first realistic rebuilding thread I have seen on this board, and some really good ideas in here.

• M.X.M. and bfc1125roy like this

#26 Ventiquattro

Ventiquattro

All-Star

• 6,566 posts

Posted January 04, 2015 - 04:28 PM

Make a run in whatever you go after. Id go all in now rather than later if the pieces are solid. 

#27 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,609 posts
  • Fan Since:2004
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted January 04, 2015 - 04:54 PM

This is probably the first realistic rebuilding thread I have seen on this board, and some really good ideas in here.

Yeah we have a lot of good posters on here but most have dropped out after this [expletive]show of a season and the annoying Lin/Price discussions. Hopefully we can get some good discussion going. 

#28 M.X.M.

M.X.M.

@WeCarpeDiem

• 3,987 posts
  • Name:Mehran
  • Fan Since:Early 2000s
  • Fav. Laker:Retired #

Posted January 04, 2015 - 07:20 PM

Reality kicks in hard!

IG: @WeCarpeDiem 

Twitter: @WeCarpeDiem

#29 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Hall Of Fame

• 8,715 posts

Posted January 04, 2015 - 11:16 PM

^ You know how they have highlight shows for sports?

There should be a service on here that snips the highlights from overly long posts (maj. Danish) to those of us who 'want' to read them but just cant get thru 'em.

Anyone else on board? Say Aye

Sorry, dude. I'll try to contain myself the next time. :)

How about this:

My own ideas aside, the only thing i want in terms of rebuilding from this front office is some sort of sign from that they actually have a plan in place. It seems absurd, but i have no idea what they're doing or thinking and these past few seasons it seems as if we've been flying without a pilot.

#30 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Sixth Man

• 3,682 posts

Posted January 05, 2015 - 03:21 AM

How about this:

My own ideas aside, the only thing i want in terms of rebuilding from this front office is some sort of sign from that they actually have a plan in place. It seems absurd, but i have no idea what they're doing or thinking and these past few seasons it seems as if we've been flying without a pilot.

A real rebuilding plan or a TWC ratings plan?

• DanishLakerFan likes this

#31 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Hall Of Fame

• 8,715 posts

Posted January 05, 2015 - 03:31 AM

Ideally they'll have a plan that combine the two, but i'm not sure they know the difference.

#32 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 7,537 posts

Posted January 05, 2015 - 04:36 AM

How about this:

It was really just the 'one' above that comment but it was funny it followed a equally long Majesty post.  :yikes:

You do good work here  :thumsbup:

Praying for  1. Some Cohesion (Ill fitting parts with young bucks, new guys, and those playing for next contracts may muck things up all season) 2. Better Coaching, No More Tanking (Last season was more of the latter but not sure how much of the former we can count on. Walton with something to prove this season as much as any Laker player) 3. Rookie Watch (Hoping Lonzo outshines his daddy (ROTY??), and Kuzma finds minutes and makes a push for all rook 2nd team)

READY FOR SEASON!!!

#33 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 7,537 posts

Posted January 05, 2015 - 04:41 AM

For anyone that has had to serve more than 1 master, no easy trick.

A conundrum. 

Add in sibling/owners not always on same page and a fan base that feels entitled to championships.

Down years happen.

• Jody Smokes likes this

READY FOR SEASON!!!

#34 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Sixth Man

• 3,682 posts

Posted January 05, 2015 - 06:49 AM

^It's the current combination of factors that makes me concerned that  "down year" or 2 or 3 will actually be a decade or so.  Huge tv contract tied to ratings, Owners not on the same page and questionable business acumen to put it nicely.  Owners that are dependent upon the team for income, not otherwise independently wealthy.  FO that is of questionable abilities.  Ancient superstar perceived in some circles as difficult to play with,  Our one decent drat pick in the last few years is hurt and we play just well enough to play ourselves out of a top five pick next year.

In short the cupboad is bare and the cooks are clueless.

#35 Nak

Nak

Tank Commander

• 4,040 posts
  • Name:Ignacio
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted January 05, 2015 - 04:13 PM

Our rebuilding process really relies on getting a lottery pick this year. Otherwise, it would be much more difficult to get back to contention. 

• Jody Smokes likes this

Arguably the greatest franchise ever

#36 M.X.M.

M.X.M.

@WeCarpeDiem

• 3,987 posts
  • Name:Mehran
  • Fan Since:Early 2000s
  • Fav. Laker:Retired #

Posted January 05, 2015 - 04:37 PM

Reading this thread makes me sad, depressed, disappointed and other down feelings. I just hope we become good and good for at least 5-7 years before our luck goes out again.

Edited by Mehran The Great, January 05, 2015 - 04:44 PM.

IG: @WeCarpeDiem 

Twitter: @WeCarpeDiem

#37 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Hall Of Fame

• 8,715 posts

Posted January 05, 2015 - 10:51 PM

Our rebuilding process really relies on getting a lottery pick this year. Otherwise, it would be much more difficult to get back to contention. 

Yep. If we dont get it this year we either:

1) do nothing this summer and repeat next year and get a high pick OR

2) add FAs this summer and probably get a late lottery pick next year.

Both situations suck.

How about we take a page out of Phil's book and start gunning for the draft.

#38 Shiro

Shiro

Rookie

• 1,058 posts

Posted January 06, 2015 - 04:01 AM

Yep. If we dont get it this year we either:

1) do nothing this summer and repeat next year and get a high pick OR

2) add FAs this summer and probably get a late lottery pick next year.

Both situations suck.

How about we take a page out of Phil's book and start gunning for the draft.

There are always nice prospects left in the late lottery so its not exactly bad. The Lakers just need to go after free agents and continue to improve the team.

#39 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 12,288 posts
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted January 06, 2015 - 06:46 AM

Im cool with passing on big name free agents this year.  Id rather rent the cap room for picks for bad deals.  Dont think spending money on the market is a good thing unless you are getting a core guy or adding guys to an existing core.  LA has neither at this point.  Resigning Ed Davis might be the only decent amt I'd want them to spend and maybe going after Tobias Harris but he is restricted.

I would be on the phone with Boston now for one of those Nets picks to take Gerald Wallace's deal back.  Nash for Wallace and a 1st.  Hill to OKC for Perk and Lamb or PJ3.

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#40 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 12,288 posts
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted January 06, 2015 - 06:50 AM

We get some young guns and Byron out of town and let those young guys work with some real coaching we will see some fun ball.  It's not the losing thats killing LA its the meaningless losing thats killing us.  Prime example are the Bucks and Magic last year.  Bucks have improve significantly w/o any major additions to their team.  Everyone wants to assume they tanked last year but they just weren't good but the reps those young guys took were valuable.  Greek Freak, Knight and Middleton have improved a lot over a year.  In LA we have guys like Ronnie Price getting bulk minutes at PG which leads to nothing.  There is nothing learned or gained from the losses our team is taking this year. 

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: rebuilding, kobe, draft, free agency, trade

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users