• Please log in to reply
190 replies to this topic

#181 Shiro

Shiro

Rookie

• 1,058 posts

Posted January 12, 2015 - 03:52 PM

First strategy in rebuilding should be to replace Jim Buss

People were saying the same thing about Jerry Buss after Shaq left.

Or whoever the FO real decision maker is, which is not clear to me.

Mitch and Jim handle the basketball related stuff but Jeanie is in charge so she obviously gets final say.

• Majesty likes this

#182 lakerfan98

lakerfan98

Vice President of Interneting Operations

• 3,370 posts
  • Name:Ryan
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted January 13, 2015 - 07:16 AM

LakerGeezer -  Maybe you and some other ppl weren't totally sold on the idea of Nash being the solution at PG and putting us over the top in terms of contending but with all the talent we had NOBODY saw THIS coming.  When the Suns traded us Nash for those picks they didn't high five each other and say nice we'll have a lottery pick in a few years.  In reality they had very few options as we were one of a hand full of teams Nash was actually willing to get traded to.  If Dwight and Pau don't bolt the pick this year would have been similar to or worse than the pick we gave up in 2013 which I believe ended up being Kendell Marshall ironically.

#183 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Sixth Man

• 3,632 posts
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Dennis Rodman

Posted January 13, 2015 - 08:20 AM

LakerGeezer -  Maybe you and some other ppl weren't totally sold on the idea of Nash being the solution at PG and putting us over the top in terms of contending but with all the talent we had NOBODY saw THIS coming.  When the Suns traded us Nash for those picks they didn't high five each other and say nice we'll have a lottery pick in a few years.  In reality they had very few options as we were one of a hand full of teams Nash was actually willing to get traded to.  If Dwight and Pau don't bolt the pick this year would have been similar to or worse than the pick we gave up in 2013 which I believe ended up being Kendell Marshall ironically.

I called the Nash trade a bad one at the time.  I was a whole lot more than not "totally sold" on it.  it stunk at the time and turned out to be a disaster in hindsight.  Honestly, it was a very easy call.  38YO PGs with a known history of medical issues dont hold up very well.  

The Suns may well have let Nash walk as a FA if we had not done the stupid sign and trade with them.  So yeah, I think they were high fiving behind the scenes, maybe not thinking to would turn out quite THIS good for them I suppose.

Debbie Downer

#184 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 12,136 posts
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted January 13, 2015 - 10:26 AM

So why are other teams like Sixers and Celtics accused of tanking?  They are bad but their team is actually securing future assets vs signing trash like Boozer and Price and playing them big minutes. 

No.  I'm just aware that the team isn't on pace to have a worse record than last year.   That doesn't mean I'm "team tank" just realistic about the teams prospects as far as winning goes, barring some trades. So because I figure we'll finish anywhere from 4th to 7th with the worst record I'll talk about the picks and players available at that range shall we actually land there.    

When you have a bad team isn't not tanking, just having a bad team.  If this Lakers team was tanking it would mean that they have a legitimate Playoffs roster and are losing games.   They don't have the first part of that, just the second.   It's very simple. 

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#185 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• Gameday
  • 54,315 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted January 13, 2015 - 12:48 PM

So why are other teams like Sixers and Celtics accused of tanking?  They are bad but their team is actually securing future assets vs signing trash like Boozer and Price and playing them big minutes. 

They're called tanking because people assume they should be better than they are 76ers.   However the Celtics ARE tanking, because they basically are resetting and getting rid of all their assets so they can gather draft picks and lose games.  Giving Brendan Wright away says as much,  But the other problem is they got some good pieces from Dallas and they can still help them by just getting more time, and they did, which is why they beat New Orleans. 

Now if the 76ers sent us MCW for some 2nd round picks for Ellington and Sacre then yes they'd be tanking  :laughing:  But they'd just say they are believing in Wroten. 

Edited by Majesty, January 13, 2015 - 12:49 PM.

"Bryant had come to rage against the idea that Howard's clownish disposition could overtake the locker room, the Lakers' culture, and had warned Howard that he would never, ever let it happen." 

#186 vdwielen

vdwielen

Rookie

• 509 posts
  • Name:Maarten
  • Fan Since:2011
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted January 13, 2015 - 03:49 PM

You think okc will be open to trade there 1st round pick for hill?

It wil be hill for perkins contract and the okc 1ste pick what you guys think about that?

Then next season i hope our squad looks like this.

1. Kobe
2. Young
3. Randle
4. Clarkson
5. Davis
6. Black
7. Kelly
8. 1st round pick 1 to 5
9. Lin
10. Houstons pick
11. Oklahoma's pick
12. 2nd round pick
13. A big FA thats available

What do you guys think about that and will it be possible to do?

We would own allot of youth for the future and should be good again after kobe retire in 2 to 3 years.

#187 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Hall Of Fame

• 8,537 posts

Posted January 13, 2015 - 09:34 PM

^ I dont think OKCs pick can be had just for Jordan Hill, but you could probably find a deal for him if you wanted. 

Like this: 

Jordan Hill, Wes Johnson to Toronto for Chuck Hayes, Landry Fields and their 2015 first round pick (top 22 protected). 

or 

Jordan Hill to OKC for Perkins and Nash

If you wated to, you could get back something decent if you offered Lin, Davis and Swaggy as well. 

#188 vdwielen

vdwielen

Rookie

• 509 posts
  • Name:Maarten
  • Fan Since:2011
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted January 14, 2015 - 01:04 AM

Still have the feeling with all the rookies we can have next season we are gonna be beter in 3 years from now. Especially when kobe comes off the books. I think in about 3 to 4 years from now we should be championship ready again if not the FO truly fails.

I also think we are gonna be slighty better next season about 10 to 14 pick i think.
So i rather keep this years pick and give phoenix our next season pick.
It will also be cooler to watch all these young talent develop and we can just win every match possible cause we have to handover our draft pick anyway

#189 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Hall Of Fame

• 8,537 posts

Posted January 14, 2015 - 02:06 AM

^Phoenix is getting a pick one way or the other, but it's much better to get the top 5 in 2015. That way we can go all-in on free agents and in the draft this summer and spend 15/16 and 16/17 developing our guys. That way, in the summer of 2017 when the cap rises we can make a splash in free agency.

• kball likes this

#190 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 12,136 posts
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted January 14, 2015 - 05:54 AM

I don't think the Celtics are trying to lose games or tank for a top pick.  What asset have they traded that has any future on the team?  Jeff Green is approaching 30 and a contract year, how does he fit in with their young players that are on long term deals?  Giving Brandan Wright away?  He's a bench piece that was highly sought out on teams making a playoff push.  They got a mid level 1st round pick and a trade exception for him. 

It's the equivalent of what we'd like for Hill.  The Lakers brought on Carlos Boozer, starts Wes Johnson and brought on an all time scrub in Price.  If that doesn't scream tank than I dont know what does.

They're called tanking because people assume they should be better than they are 76ers.   However the Celtics ARE tanking, because they basically are resetting and getting rid of all their assets so they can gather draft picks and lose games.  Giving Brendan Wright away says as much,  But the other problem is they got some good pieces from Dallas and they can still help them by just getting more time, and they did, which is why they beat New Orleans. 

Now if the 76ers sent us MCW for some 2nd round picks for Ellington and Sacre then yes they'd be tanking  :laughing:  But they'd just say they are believing in Wroten. 

• LakerGeezer likes this

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#191 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Hall Of Fame

• 8,537 posts

Posted January 14, 2015 - 06:09 AM

I don't think the Celtics are trying to lose games or tank for a top pick.  What asset have they traded that has any future on the team?  Jeff Green is approaching 30 and a contract year, how does he fit in with their young players that are on long term deals?  Giving Brandan Wright away?  He's a bench piece that was highly sought out on teams making a playoff push.  They got a mid level 1st round pick and a trade exception for him. 

It's the equivalent of what we'd like for Hill.  The Lakers brought on Carlos Boozer, starts Wes Johnson and brought on an all time scrub in Price.  If that doesn't scream tank than I dont know what does.

That is correct.

Trading away current players that doesn't have a future with the team for assets that may help them in the future isn't tanking. That's just a GM doing what a GM is supposed to do - even if it does mean extra losses short term. I dont know what the hell our front office is doing.

• LakerGeezer and LAkerFan85 like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: rebuilding, kobe, draft, free agency, trade

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users