190 replies to this topic

#1 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,605 posts
  • Fan Since:2004
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted January 02, 2015 - 06:35 PM

Since this team clearly sucks and I'm tired of reading about Lin all the time, I figured it would make sense to discuss strategies for how to rebuild this team into a playoff contender.  

Here is some relevant information to consider: 

Salaries:

Next year, we have around 36 million committed in salaries, and a little over 10 million worth of team options (Jordan hill being 9 million of it). Young, Randle, Kelly, and Kobe are the only players with guaranteed contracts next year. In the year after that, assuming Kobe retires, we'll have 5 million for Young and a 3 million dollar team option for Randle. 

Draft Picks:

• 2015: Our first rounder goes to PHX if it's outside of the top 5. We get a first round pick from Houston from the Lin trade that's top 14 protected. We get a second round pick (which I believe is top 50 protected and 56-60 protected) from the Rockets that originates back to a Clippers-Raptors trade. We would owe the Magic our second rounder from the Howard trade if it falls outside the top 40, but thats unlikely to happen this season (I believe this pick does not carry over to future seasons but someone will have to verify). 
  • 2016: We have our first and second round picks (we can't trade them). 
  • 2017: We owe the Magic our first round pick (it is top 5 protected). 
  • 2018 and thereafter: We have all our picks (can begin trading picks for years 2019 onward I believe). 

Significant Free Agents:

• 2015: LeBron James (player option), Kevin Love (player option), LaMarcus Aldridge, Kawhi Leonard (restricted), Marc Gasol, Tim Duncan, Goran Dragic (player option), Rajon Rondo, Dwyane Wade (player option), DeAndre Jordan, Brook Lopez (player option), Greg Monroe, Al Jefferson (player option), Reggie Jackson (restricted), Jimmy Butler (restricted), Monta Ellis (player option), Paul Milsap, Roy Hibbert (player option), Luol Deng (player option), Brandon Knight
  • 2016: Kevin Durant, Joakim Noah, Al Horford, Nicolas Batum, Mike Conley, JaVale McGee, Chris Paul (player option), Dwight Howard (player option), DeMar DeRozan (player option), Chandler Parsons (player option), Dirk Nowitzki (player option), Pau Gasol (player option). 

My thoughts are that the Lakers, if they are unable to acquire Love in 2015 or Durant in 2016 (Paul's unlikely to opt out), should let Kobe retire in 2016 and start from there. This season's a lost cause, and even if we do get to keep our first rounder, we would lose it in 2016 most likely. Best scenario is to keep the cheap young talent we acquire in the next 2 years (through the draft and Randle), and try to build via the draft. By stockpiling assets, we can end up in an OKC situation by 2020 if we draft extremely well, or pull a Houston and use the youth to trade for a better player. It would be worthwhile to keep players like Ed Davis and Tarik Black, but nobody else on the roster is really worth it imo. At this point it would be stupid to give out more deals like we did to Nick Young and instead try not to tie down future salary so early, especially with the cap rumored to increase. If Buss isn't dumb, LA could be contending by 2019-2020 and be in a better position to lure free agents. 

#2 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 16,598 posts
  • Name:Julius Jordan
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted January 02, 2015 - 06:43 PM

nick young has a solid contract

davis would require similar

#3 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Legend

• 10,943 posts
  • Fan Since:Since 1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted January 02, 2015 - 08:11 PM

4-5 mil to Davis for 4 yrs? Seems reasonable
  • Majesty likes this

#4 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Hall Of Fame

• 8,669 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted January 02, 2015 - 09:38 PM

"All" we have to do is to be smart and look at every signing in a bigger perspective than we have so far. 

For instance, 

Does Carlos Boozer really move the needle, is he really the mentor you want for Julius Randle and is it really better to have him play 24mpg ahead of younger guys that should develop?

Our assets that can be leaving - like Davis, Lin etc. Considering that they could leave for nothing is it really the best idea to keep them around for short-term basket-ball purposes, when you can flip them for guys that can help us in 2-3 years from now, when we could be a lot more relevant?

Our objective should be to put together a situation that the top tier FAs will consider in a couple of years. A couple of picks this summer, Julius Randle, Clarkson, Kelly, Black a couple of solid FA additions this summer and we could be in a solid position for Westbrook, Durant or perhaps even Anthony Davis in a couple of years. 

#5 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 7,381 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted January 03, 2015 - 04:19 AM

Honestly we have a lot of guys who are terrific role players/bench guys. As long as they dont have to play 25+

We need starters.

Davis seems would be a decent deal around 4 years 24 million.

Kinda reminds me of Ibaka before Ibaka became a shooting threat from 16 ft

• JGuez likes this

Praying for  1. Some Cohesion (Ill fitting parts with young bucks, new guys, and those playing for next contracts may muck things up all season) 2. Better Coaching, No More Tanking (Last season was more of the latter but not sure how much of the former we can count on. Walton with something to prove this season as much as any Laker player) 3. Rookie Watch (Hoping Lonzo outshines his daddy (ROTY??), and Kuzma finds minutes and makes a push for all rook 2nd team)

READY FOR SEASON!!!

#6 Lakerace24

Lakerace24

Starter

• 5,140 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted January 03, 2015 - 10:29 AM

Not so sure Davis will get north of $4 million per year. Remember when Hill sort of broke out when we traded for him? He ended up coming back on a 2 year $6 million deal. I think Ed will be an affordable deal this off-season.

I think you also have to throw the max at Jimmy Buckets. He's worth it going forward especially with the projected cap increase. Get that top pick, make a run at Butler and maybe another guy, possibly flip Hill for an actual defensive anchor and we're a playoff team.

#7 erfolk

erfolk

Sixth Man

• 3,074 posts
  • Name:Lewis
  • Fan Since:Birth:10-31-86
  • Fav. Laker:All Bout The Name On The Front

Posted January 03, 2015 - 12:16 PM

Not so sure Davis will get north of $4 million per year. Remember when Hill sort of broke out when we traded for him? He ended up coming back on a 2 year $6 million deal. I think Ed will be an affordable deal this off-season.

I think you also have to throw the max at Jimmy Buckets. He's worth it going forward especially with the projected cap increase. Get that top pick, make a run at Butler and maybe another guy, possibly flip Hill for an actual defensive anchor and we're a playoff team.

I would agree with giving Butler the max his scoring is greatly improved and he is still one of the best perimeter defenders inn league

#8 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,605 posts

Posted January 03, 2015 - 12:34 PM

I would agree with giving Butler the max his scoring is greatly improved and he is still one of the best perimeter defenders inn league

He's a restricted FA - not sure if they let him go that easy. 

#9 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• Gameday
  • 54,315 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted January 03, 2015 - 01:11 PM

He's a restricted FA - not sure if they let him go that easy. 

Depends upon two things. 

Their cap space 

How much they want to pay him themselves. 

"Bryant had come to rage against the idea that Howard's clownish disposition could overtake the locker room, the Lakers' culture, and had warned Howard that he would never, ever let it happen." 

#10 Massacre

Massacre

yo

• Contributor
  • 8,512 posts

Posted January 03, 2015 - 02:33 PM

Doesn't matter, Chicago isn't letting Butler walk. He's arguably the 3rd best shooting guard in the league and is emerging as the best 2-way player at that position.

Cap space is irrelevant, they have bird rights and he's a RFA.

How much they want to pay him doesn't matter. 4 years 87 million is what he's getting from anyone and Chicago is gladly going to match that.

Let's not create a false reality where we actually have a chance at Butler. That leads to disappointment. Obviously you have to try, and I hope we do, but it's not likely he leaves Chicago at this point.

Edited by Massacre, January 03, 2015 - 02:34 PM.

• JGuez and bfc1125roy like this

#11 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 16,598 posts
  • Name:Julius Jordan
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted January 03, 2015 - 02:41 PM

Chicago isn't guaranteed to keep Butler...the same way OKC did keep Harden.

#12 Massacre

Massacre

yo

• Contributor
  • 8,512 posts

Posted January 03, 2015 - 03:06 PM

Yeah, no. Those are 2 completely different situations.

Harden was never the best player on OKC or a borderline MVP candidate.

Edited by Massacre, January 03, 2015 - 03:07 PM.

• JGuez likes this

#13 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 7,381 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted January 03, 2015 - 03:07 PM

Butler reminds me of Paul George when he broke out...

Granger goes down and PG wakes up the league as to how good he was.

Same w Jimmy when D Rose went down.

Butler like PG will get paid at the perfect time because he does so many things well and his upside is still untapped it seems

Praying for  1. Some Cohesion (Ill fitting parts with young bucks, new guys, and those playing for next contracts may muck things up all season) 2. Better Coaching, No More Tanking (Last season was more of the latter but not sure how much of the former we can count on. Walton with something to prove this season as much as any Laker player) 3. Rookie Watch (Hoping Lonzo outshines his daddy (ROTY??), and Kuzma finds minutes and makes a push for all rook 2nd team)

READY FOR SEASON!!!

#14 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• Gameday
  • 54,315 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted January 03, 2015 - 03:13 PM

First thing you do is sell high on Jordan Hill before he has so many bad games you'll have to settle for a 2nd round pick for him, you make Davis your starting 5 and when Kelly is ready you move him to your starting 4 and you keep Black and Boozer off the bench.  OR you move Boozer back to the starting lineup and make Kelly your backup 4 and Black your backup 5.  

You also move Sacre for a late 2nd round pick if you get the chance.   See also what you can get for Nash's contract. 

Play the rest of this season out and embrace Kobe's style adaptation, continue adapting the team style around the ball movement and make it your team's identity going forward.  

Let the season play out and try to remain as healthy as possible and finish the season healthy and let the picks fall where they may. 

Considering Detroit's emergence and the fact that this Lakers team as stands is good to be consistently competitive but still needing that extra push to get over the hump, the bottom 5 teams in the NBA could wind up being the 76ers, the Knicks, the Timberwolves, the Lakers and Utah.  Although Boston is probably there too.

Anyway, should the Lakers land a top 5 pick I don't think it would be number 1 or even 2. 

So we're looking at 3-5 range most likely. 3-6 depending on other circumstances.   If it falls into the top 5 or is within the range of 3-5 draft Stanley Johnson.

Now the 2nd first round pick, which belongs to Houston is a very determining factor.  if Houston falls to the 8th seed that pick falls to 20th for us. 

Leaving us in range of the likes of Caris LeVert and Delon Wright(who is rising immensely and may wind up going top 10 or in Elfrid Payton territory. 

Above all else I want our pick ahead of the Spurs and I'd like us to draft Caris LeVert with it.  

There's your future 2 and 3 to pair with Julius Randle at the 4. 

Re-sign Ed Davis, extend Tarik Black, keep Ryan Kelly.  See if you can re-sign Lin.  

Do your due dilligence to test the free agency waters, ask Marc Gasol(who will likely decline), make a call to Rondo, stuff like that.  

Once those two ventures fail, go all in on Brandon Knight and offer him 13-15 mill.  If the Bucks match that, then oh well, you tried.  

Go after Reggie Jackson "if" he's available still, and you can probably land him for a little less, the question is if you think he's worth it. 

Anyway that is the bulk of your off-season moves, you can bring back Wes or Ellington if you wanted to but you mostly are done as far as off-season goes. 

Your roster and starting lineup for last year is hopefully as follows 

Starters: 
Brandon Knight
Kobe Bryant
Stanley Johnson

Julius Randle

Ed Davis 

Bench:
Jeremy Lin / Jordan Clarkson
Nick Young / Caris LeVert
Wesley Johnson(or Wayne Ellington)
Ryan Kelly / 2nd round pick
Tarik Black  /2nd round pick 

There's a 14 man roster, you can have a 15th spot if you find a gem in training camp or what have you.  But that's generally your roster going into next season.  

That's not bad at all, it is building to something at least. 

Anyway, your next off-season is the Durant off-season with the cap jump where you'll go all in on Durant and try to convince him to come to the Lakers.  

The solid part of this is that if Durant says yes, Kobe likely returns and considering everything else and the rookies getting the year under their belt(including Randle) then this potentially puts the Lakers in a good position moving forward.  If Durant says no, then it just becomes an extension of the previous year where you hopefully make the playoffs or make a few other moves at the deadline and see what you land.    Worst case scenario is Durant says no and Kobe retires.    

At that point the season becomes about the development of LeVert, Johnson and Randle and you're prepping for the next off-season to run at Anthony Davis if he denies his extension.   

The season then becomes about watching the young team and seeing what damage they could do in their 2nd years and how they've grown and how far Brandon Knight can take them all as he'd have the mot experience.  They are a "phoenix suns" like team in terms of potential and MAYBE knocking at the 9th seeds door, or if anything they could sneak in over a team like the Suns or the Pelicans.  

Making the playoffs would likely be the best case scenario for that season, especially if the Pelicans miss, it increases your pitch to a guy like Anthony Davis who sees a bunch of young talent starting to come into it's own in their 3rd year, with a lot of cap space as it's under rookie contracts and with enough money to pay him the max, as well as a young point guard in Brandon Knight just hitting his prime, 4th year Julius Randle, and a 3rd year Stanley Johnson and a 3rd year Caris LeVert.  If they all are coming into their own  then it may be an enticing team for Davis to join and see what they can do with.  

IF all goes according to plan(and perfect scenario) your starting lineup for the 2017-2018 Los Angeles Lakers would be as follows.  

Starters:
Brandon Knight
Caris LeVert
Stanley Johnson
Julius Randle
Anthony Davis 

Bench: 
Jordan Clarkson
Nick Young

Tarik Black 

Ed Davis 
(hopefully another 2nd rounder that panned out)

and maybe Ryan Kelly would be in it as well.

Anyway, that team not only makes the playoffs that team is a team on the ups, along with the also coming into their own Minnesota Timberwolves.    

And look at that matchup on paper and tell me it wouldn't be one of the most exciting games of the season 

Lakers vs Timberwolves 

Brandon Knight / Ricky Rubio

Caris LeVert / Zach LaVine 
Stanley Johnson / Andrew Wiggins 

Julius Randle / Anthony Bennett or Young or someone else they drafted(maybe Towns or Winslow)

Anthony Davis / Gorgui Dieng 

Fantastic matchup imo. 

Anyway that's probably how I'd be rebuilding the Lakers. But my first step would be doing anything necessary (without being robbed of talent) to come out of the draft with both Caris LeVert and Stanley Johnson that doesn't upset the rest of the plans stated above.    

Perhaps you can land something with trading away Jordan Hill along with filler such as Sacre and/or potentially Ellington(although I personally want him to finish his season as a Laker and playing for his father). 

"Bryant had come to rage against the idea that Howard's clownish disposition could overtake the locker room, the Lakers' culture, and had warned Howard that he would never, ever let it happen." 

#15 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Legend

• 10,943 posts
  • Fan Since:Since 1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted January 03, 2015 - 03:47 PM

I like Lego's myself. Joking

#16 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 23,744 posts

Posted January 03, 2015 - 04:07 PM

There is only one rebuilding strategy, collect the most/best assets possible, position oneself for a big free agent down the line. Not durant I'm talking a little further. Whether it be someone we know about now or someone we find out about later.

You have randle

Push for Brandon knight, he's a good option moving forward. Overpay. If you miss out fine, we'll likely be right back in the top 5 convo in 2016 anyways

Make a move for Otto porter jr now. He's collecting DNPs. Call up and offer them Lin and Johnson for porter and seraphin

Does 2 things. You give porter minutes that he needs to cultivate his talent and you free up time for clarkson. Fantastic

Just keep collecting assets and hopefully randle and whomever we draft in the next 2 years whichever pick we get is another possible big time performer.
Posted Image

#17 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 23,744 posts

Posted January 03, 2015 - 04:10 PM

Kind of hoping sviatoslav from Kansas comes out. He's 17 years old and putting up a decent showing at Kansas. He'd be someone I look at with the Houston pick
Posted Image

#18 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,605 posts

Posted January 03, 2015 - 05:22 PM

First thing you do is sell high on Jordan Hill before he has so many bad games you'll have to settle for a 2nd round pick for him, you make Davis your starting 5 and when Kelly is ready you move him to your starting 4 and you keep Black and Boozer off the bench.  OR you move Boozer back to the starting lineup and make Kelly your backup 4 and Black your backup 5.  

You also move Sacre for a late 2nd round pick if you get the chance.   See also what you can get for Nash's contract. 

Play the rest of this season out and embrace Kobe's style adaptation, continue adapting the team style around the ball movement and make it your team's identity going forward.  

Let the season play out and try to remain as healthy as possible and finish the season healthy and let the picks fall where they may. 

Considering Detroit's emergence and the fact that this Lakers team as stands is good to be consistently competitive but still needing that extra push to get over the hump, the bottom 5 teams in the NBA could wind up being the 76ers, the Knicks, the Timberwolves, the Lakers and Utah.  Although Boston is probably there too.

Anyway, should the Lakers land a top 5 pick I don't think it would be number 1 or even 2. 

So we're looking at 3-5 range most likely. 3-6 depending on other circumstances.   If it falls into the top 5 or is within the range of 3-5 draft Stanley Johnson.

Now the 2nd first round pick, which belongs to Houston is a very determining factor.  if Houston falls to the 8th seed that pick falls to 20th for us. 

Leaving us in range of the likes of Caris LeVert and Delon Wright(who is rising immensely and may wind up going top 10 or in Elfrid Payton territory. 

Above all else I want our pick ahead of the Spurs and I'd like us to draft Caris LeVert with it.  

There's your future 2 and 3 to pair with Julius Randle at the 4. 

Re-sign Ed Davis, extend Tarik Black, keep Ryan Kelly.  See if you can re-sign Lin.  

Do your due dilligence to test the free agency waters, ask Marc Gasol(who will likely decline), make a call to Rondo, stuff like that.  

Once those two ventures fail, go all in on Brandon Knight and offer him 13-15 mill.  If the Bucks match that, then oh well, you tried.  

Go after Reggie Jackson "if" he's available still, and you can probably land him for a little less, the question is if you think he's worth it. 

Anyway that is the bulk of your off-season moves, you can bring back Wes or Ellington if you wanted to but you mostly are done as far as off-season goes. 

Your roster and starting lineup for last year is hopefully as follows 

Starters: 
Brandon Knight
Kobe Bryant
Stanley Johnson

Julius Randle

Ed Davis 

Bench:
Jeremy Lin / Jordan Clarkson
Nick Young / Caris LeVert
Wesley Johnson(or Wayne Ellington)
Ryan Kelly / 2nd round pick
Tarik Black  /2nd round pick 

There's a 14 man roster, you can have a 15th spot if you find a gem in training camp or what have you.  But that's generally your roster going into next season.  

That's not bad at all, it is building to something at least. 

Anyway, your next off-season is the Durant off-season with the cap jump where you'll go all in on Durant and try to convince him to come to the Lakers.  

The solid part of this is that if Durant says yes, Kobe likely returns and considering everything else and the rookies getting the year under their belt(including Randle) then this potentially puts the Lakers in a good position moving forward.  If Durant says no, then it just becomes an extension of the previous year where you hopefully make the playoffs or make a few other moves at the deadline and see what you land.    Worst case scenario is Durant says no and Kobe retires.    

At that point the season becomes about the development of LeVert, Johnson and Randle and you're prepping for the next off-season to run at Anthony Davis if he denies his extension.   

The season then becomes about watching the young team and seeing what damage they could do in their 2nd years and how they've grown and how far Brandon Knight can take them all as he'd have the mot experience.  They are a "phoenix suns" like team in terms of potential and MAYBE knocking at the 9th seeds door, or if anything they could sneak in over a team like the Suns or the Pelicans.  

Making the playoffs would likely be the best case scenario for that season, especially if the Pelicans miss, it increases your pitch to a guy like Anthony Davis who sees a bunch of young talent starting to come into it's own in their 3rd year, with a lot of cap space as it's under rookie contracts and with enough money to pay him the max, as well as a young point guard in Brandon Knight just hitting his prime, 4th year Julius Randle, and a 3rd year Stanley Johnson and a 3rd year Caris LeVert.  If they all are coming into their own  then it may be an enticing team for Davis to join and see what they can do with.  

IF all goes according to plan(and perfect scenario) your starting lineup for the 2017-2018 Los Angeles Lakers would be as follows.  

Starters:
Brandon Knight
Caris LeVert
Stanley Johnson
Julius Randle
Anthony Davis 

Bench: 
Jordan Clarkson
Nick Young

Tarik Black 

Ed Davis 
(hopefully another 2nd rounder that panned out)

and maybe Ryan Kelly would be in it as well.

Anyway, that team not only makes the playoffs that team is a team on the ups, along with the also coming into their own Minnesota Timberwolves.    

And look at that matchup on paper and tell me it wouldn't be one of the most exciting games of the season 

Lakers vs Timberwolves 

Brandon Knight / Ricky Rubio

Caris LeVert / Zach LaVine 
Stanley Johnson / Andrew Wiggins 

Julius Randle / Anthony Bennett or Young or someone else they drafted(maybe Towns or Winslow)

Anthony Davis / Gorgui Dieng 

Fantastic matchup imo. 

Anyway that's probably how I'd be rebuilding the Lakers. But my first step would be doing anything necessary (without being robbed of talent) to come out of the draft with both Caris LeVert and Stanley Johnson that doesn't upset the rest of the plans stated above.    

Perhaps you can land something with trading away Jordan Hill along with filler such as Sacre and/or potentially Ellington(although I personally want him to finish his season as a Laker and playing for his father). 

This is actually not a bad plan. I don't think its likely Durant leaves OKC just yet, but you never know. Davis will be very, very tough to grab. The Pelicans would really have to [expletive] up there. But we also don't know what the new CBA will look like, so it's difficult to say for sure. 

• Majesty likes this

#19 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 23,744 posts

Posted January 03, 2015 - 05:53 PM

I actually think Davis is easier than durant. You see durant has Westbrook and ibaka

That's tough to outdo

Davis is gonna be running with Eric Gordon, jrue holiday and tyreke Evans

Much easier. It's much more likely that New Orleans wastes time and doesn't build something by the time he's around 26-27

Which will have randle be 25 and just about to enter his prime, and whomever we draft this year or next will be roughly 23-24 years old

If randle becomes what I think he can, and we land a top notch guy in 2015 or 2016 in the draft then couple that with being in LA and you have something to sell
Posted Image

#20 Massacre

Massacre

yo

• Contributor
  • 8,512 posts

Posted January 03, 2015 - 06:01 PM

Davis is a lock in New Orleans once they offer him his first max this summer.

His 2nd one is where it's going to get tricky, as with every other star in this league. That's a long time from now, but the opportunity will eventually present itself. He's going to test FA.

Edited by Massacre, January 03, 2015 - 06:02 PM.

• bfc1125roy likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: rebuilding, kobe, draft, free agency, trade

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users