9 replies to this topic

#1 epicwolf

epicwolf

#1 Clipper hater #1 Raider hater

• 3,760 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Mamba

Posted December 31, 2014 - 07:34 AM

I know I should put this on the video game thread but I rather put this on the main thread so non gamers can read this perfect article of how ignorant people can be about video games. THis is one of the best article I've read in years and I wish more people can share this article to as many people out there as possible. I wish more adult gamers can be more outspoken to the "prejudice" and the ignorant views of us adult gamers out there.  I've been playing games since I was 5 in the 80's and this article relates to me so much that it felt like the article was written about me. None of my friends are true gamers and I always get the ignorant views about me when I tell people one of my hobbies are video games. 

http://www.cinemable...ming-69162.html

Edited by epicwolf, December 31, 2014 - 07:35 AM.

• Kobe-Wan Kenobi likes this

#2 Kobe-Wan Kenobi

Kobe-Wan Kenobi

Off The Bench

• 1,769 posts

Posted December 31, 2014 - 08:34 AM

Agreed 100%.

I learned two languages playing video games and I started to like programming, math, physics and chemistry even more than before. It doesn't sound like a childish waste of time at all.

Besides, let's not forget that the gaming industry is almost recession-proof. Since 2007-08 people began to stop spending money on many things, but not on videogames. Because no matter what, people want to enjoy life and have fun.

Video gaming is a hobby just like watching catroons or building things with LEGO. "Being adult" does NOT mean being an old grumpy who cannot enjoy life. It means you have to make important choices and to face responsibilities, to respect other people and their opinions and thoughts.

And it is much better to shoot people in video games than in real life, isn't it?

The first comment is pure gold:

"So, yeah, I grew up in a time when game consoles were seen as mere toys and, no matter when you grow up, “toys” are things you are expected to grow out of."

Yeah, and that is absolute b******t. Being an adult means being responsible and rational, it doesn't mean abandoning imagination. Yet there's an inordinate amount of people who believe you have to grow out of things like watching cartoons, playing with toys and generally anything that involves having an active imagination.

I'm sorry, but you'll never convince me that being an adult involves leading a boring, rutinary life. If I want to give free rein to my imagination, I will. If I want to build transforming robots out of LEGO, I will. If I want to spend the entire afternoon watching Dexter's Lab, I will. If I want to take a box of colored pencils and draw pages and pages of dinosaurs with laser eye beams, I will.

And F**K what other people think about that. Let them drown in their miserable boredom, I will have a life as fun as I want to. My job is already depressing, I don't need my daily life to be depressing too.

• epicwolf likes this

#3 epicwolf

epicwolf

• 3,760 posts

Posted December 31, 2014 - 08:56 AM

Some of the lego sets I see at the toy stores are very complicated to put together. I can never expect a kid to put it together without the help of their parents. A friend of mind love to put together legos but because of society saying he is too old to built legos, he had to consider it a "guilty pleasure". 

Edited by epicwolf, December 31, 2014 - 08:57 AM.

• Kobe-Wan Kenobi and DTIII™ like this

#4 LakersGAFan

LakersGAFan

LakersGAFan

• 12,219 posts
  • Name:LT
  • Fav. Laker:KB

Posted December 31, 2014 - 08:59 AM

about to be 37.

Played Pacman, Tank, Centipede, etc on AtariVCS 2600

Played Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Mike Tyson Punch Out on the NES

Played Link and Contra on my Gameboy
Played Sonic, Super Street Fighter, Madden on my Sega Genesis

Played SUper Mario World, Mega Man, Final Fantasy on my Super NES

And the the Sony PS changed my life....lol

code_zpsj83hyqrt.jpg

#5 netlord

netlord

Flying high

• 10,869 posts
  • Name:Alexi
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted December 31, 2014 - 09:02 AM

I don't know for you guys, but playing videogames has increased my spatial orientation and focus. And yes, I agree, if you like videogames, there is no age limit.

#6 Busty Bluth

Busty Bluth

--Hey Brother!--

• 27,547 posts
  • Name:Byron "Buster AKA Busty" Bluth

Posted December 31, 2014 - 09:03 AM

I think I am too old to be owned by these kids

#7 epicwolf

epicwolf

• 3,760 posts

Posted December 31, 2014 - 09:05 AM

I can never stress this enough. The average people who buy video games are not in the early 20's or teens. It is in their 30's. People assumed those 30 something year olds buying a video game console for their kids but in reality majority of them buy video games for themselves.  I mean the prejudice about video games are still out there. THis is a true story. I was standing in line to pick up my preordered PS4 and some dude next to me try to start a convo. He just tell me he is here to pick up the console for his son and he asked me if I was doing the same thing since I told him my age. I told him no it is for me. Then he changed his statement saying well to be honest I wanted one for myself but afraid my wife would say something about me taking the toys away from my son. I told him it is not a toy, it is a hobby. So he really wanted one for himself but due to society ignorant he had to hide his true hobby. So sad

#8 Kobe-Wan Kenobi

Kobe-Wan Kenobi

Off The Bench

• 1,769 posts

Posted December 31, 2014 - 09:18 AM

It's a form of racism/discrimination, in my opinion.

about to be 37.

Played Pacman, Tank, Centipede, etc on AtariVCS 2600

Played Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Mike Tyson Punch Out on the NES

Played Link and Contra on my Gameboy
Played Sonic, Super Street Fighter, Madden on my Sega Genesis

Played SUper Mario World, Mega Man, Final Fantasy on my Super NES

And the the Sony PS changed my life....lol

I still have my SNES and GameBoy.

I tried to connect the former to my LG TV. The result: 47-inch Super Mario World! Still a great game.

#9 Ring Chaser

Ring Chaser

The Innovators

• 1,726 posts
  • Fan Since:1989
  • Fav. Laker:Kyle Kuzma

Posted December 31, 2014 - 09:46 AM

Entertainment.

"If you're going to lose, you have to lose because you can't be in the middle of the pack. You either have to be great or you have to be bad to get a good pick" - Earvin Magic Johnson

#10 Чад

Чад

Kings

• 4,683 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted January 13, 2015 - 03:03 PM

I'll never understand why people try to put artificial caps on themselves.

¡Hala Madrid! Neymar Rules!  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users