6 replies to this topic

#1 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Superstar

• 8,081 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted December 10, 2014 - 11:09 PM

I know the rivalry probably makes this impossible, but Knicks, Laker and Nets are in similar situations - biggest markets, older players and a horrible team. I think they should have a sit-down and see what can be worked out.

For intance, the Nets doesn't have an incentive to tank (no picks), but they're trying to cut down on payroll so they've made Lopez, Deron and Iso-Joe available. Lakers and Knicks are both trying to win - unsuccesfully - and are hoping to make moves in the offseason. For the Knicks' part, they're probably looking at loading up on talent now (during Melo's tenure) rather than later, whereas the Lakers have come to the conclusion that it's too difficult to do anything significant during Kobe's current deal.

For these reasons, i think guys like Davis, Lin, Hill, Nash, Iso-Joe, Lopez, Deron, Shumpert, Bargnani, Calderon, Stoudamire, JR, Dalembert, Hardaway Jr. and even KG all could be available, potentially.

What do you guys think?

#2 RobBlake

RobBlake

Starter

• 4,351 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, Fisher, Magic

Posted December 10, 2014 - 11:23 PM

if i'm reading this correctly online.. joe johnson has a very similar contract as Kobe.. ridiculous

• FranklinPeanuts likes this

ap1.png

#3 JGuez

JGuez

All-Star

• 5,873 posts

Posted December 10, 2014 - 11:37 PM

Maybe I'm wrong but I just don't see either us nor the Knicks wanting to take on the Nets' contracts. All 3 of those guys can play but are severely overpaid, especially Lopez since he never can get on the court.

I'm really not even sure how Brooklyn is going to trade those players since they can't stuff picks into any trades.

#4 Danny

Danny

Rookie

• 484 posts
  • Name:Danny
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted December 10, 2014 - 11:52 PM

I'd rather just stay how we are and keep cap flexibility going forward. We're not winning a championship this year.

#5 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Superstar

• 8,081 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted December 11, 2014 - 05:33 AM

I'd rather just stay how we are and keep cap flexibility going forward. We're not winning a championship this year.

I agree and i'm not saying we should take on D-Will's remaining years or anything, but when you have three different situations with a lot of contracts and a lot of problems as well as a strong wish to get back to contending i think there are deals to be made.

Edited by DanishLakerFan, December 11, 2014 - 05:34 AM.

#6 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Sixth Man

• 3,619 posts
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Dennis Rodman

Posted December 11, 2014 - 09:13 AM

3 teams in somewhat similar positions.

Knicks- I think PJ's view is that Melo sells tickets until he can rebuild the roster.   If he wanted to be competitive right away he would have never traded Chandler essentially for Larkin and two picks.  So he is sort of taking the Lakers approach- pretend to want to win now but really prepare for the future.  I think he knows Melo is fools gold, but hey he sells tickets.

Nets- are just screwed.  Old players, bloated payroll, no picks.  They have NBA oblivion to look forward to for several years now, unless they find a really stupid trading partner.

Lakers- well we all have our views.  I think we are in the best position of the 3 teams to be truly competitive the soonest, but that's not saying much.

Debbie Downer

#7 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Legend

• 10,392 posts
  • Fan Since:Since 1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted December 11, 2014 - 09:15 AM

I wouldn't touch any of those guys with their contracts..
Joe is old
Deron looks uninterested
Lopez can't stay healthy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users