96 replies to this topic

#81 KidRN

KidRN

Superstar

• 8,342 posts
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:KB24 or 8

Posted December 07, 2014 - 08:58 AM

You really need to learn to read instead of just trying to be argumentative.  I specifically said about Westbrook who happens to be probably my fav player after Kobe that I'd question giving him a max 3 years from now based on his style of play...ya know since he's a free agent for another 3 seasons.  How about following the context of the conversation instead of nitpicking my post and misrepresenting what I said. 

I wasn't starting an argument, I was asking a legit question. If you did give Westbrook the max on a long term than you can't get him. If you go back and read my reply, I actually agreed with you. Not sure why you got made here. I was asking a serious question and not trying to get into an argument at all. Who do you want? You don't want Westbrook for max, and you don't want Rondo.

#82 flota

flota

Barca, Lakers, Cowboys, Chivas

• 3,302 posts
  • Fan Since:2008
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Kobe

Posted December 07, 2014 - 03:06 PM

What were the celtics asking for rondo back then?
Imposible is nothing.

There is no such thing as a plea of innocence in my court. A plea of innocence is guilty of wasting my time. Guilty. Inquisitor Lord Fyodor Karamazov.

Alea Iacta Est. Julius Caesar.

#83 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Hall Of Fame

• 8,982 posts
  • Name:Tyler
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The mamba

Posted December 07, 2014 - 03:25 PM

Another triple double....but it doesn't mean much  :cool2:

"Friends come and go but banners hang forever."  - Kobe Bryant

#84 bigvee

bigvee

Legend

• 12,590 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Samaki Walker

Posted December 07, 2014 - 03:33 PM

I understand Jody's argument on Rondo, but there is really no one else left to spend money on that puts us in a much better position than we are now. Why have cap space if you're not gonna use it?

#85 Jackson

Jackson

Legend

• 10,369 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant/Kareem/Sasha(LOL)

Posted December 07, 2014 - 04:50 PM

I understand Jody's argument on Rondo, but there is really no one else left to spend money on that puts us in a much better position than we are now. Why have cap space if you're not gonna use it?

I agree. Rondo is better than nothing. I mean if we're going to keep delaying the use of our cap space, then pretty soon all of the established good players will lock longterm deals and the Lakers will be signing the leagues scrap ex-talents.

Jody certainly does make a good point, but all the other point guards he listed are a pipe dream compared to Rondo.

I also think Rondo is better than most people think.

#86 KidRN

KidRN

Superstar

• 8,342 posts

Posted December 07, 2014 - 05:11 PM

I agree. Rondo is better than nothing. I mean if we're going to keep delaying the use of our cap space, then pretty soon all of the established good players will lock longterm deals and the Lakers will be signing the leagues scrap ex-talents.
Jody certainly does make a good point, but all the other point guards he listed are a pipe dream compared to Rondo.

only way I would pass on Rondo is if we sign KD or if Mitch is confident and at least has a 50% chance at signing Westbrook.

#87 bigvee

bigvee

Legend

• 12,590 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Samaki Walker

Posted December 07, 2014 - 05:15 PM

Rondo is great, and he makes a good argument with his age, which I agree with. I still wouldn't mind paying him, but not a max contract for sure.

At the same time, I've never believed that an elite point guard, no matter how good, will win you a ring surrounded by above average talent. With big men and a deep bench, above average talent will suffice.

We're in a guard dominated league, but teams that win rings all need a great big man on both sides of the floor. In Miami's last two titles, Bosh was playing outstanding basketball on both ends, especially in the playoffs. San Antonio obviously dominated in points in the paint, and Timmy was always effective when relied upon. Dirk and Chandler were also a great offense/defense combo, same with Pau and Bynum and Perk and KG. Hell, look at Anthony Davis, winning games almost single handedly for the Pelicans.

People around here are always saying we need a star to build around, and that star isn't Kobe anymore, and I agree. What I'll add is that we need an elite big man, or an elite offense/defense combo in the front court.

Give me Marc and Zbo in the playoffs over Klay and Steph any day.
  • Majesty likes this

#88 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 12,212 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted December 07, 2014 - 06:04 PM

In 2014 I'd take WB on a 5 year deal but in 2017? The first year of the deal he turns 29? Its not a firm no but I'd strongly caution and most likely be against it. You realize we are talking veteran max deals right? Rondo isn't doing anything that makes me believe his value is at 20m a year. That's 1st or 2nd best player on the team money and if Rondo is Ur top player you aren't doing [expletive]

I wasn't starting an argument, I was asking a legit question. If you did give Westbrook the max on a long term than you can't get him. If you go back and read my reply, I actually agreed with you. Not sure why you got made here. I was asking a serious question and not trying to get into an argument at all. Who do you want? You don't want Westbrook for max, and you don't want Rondo.

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#89 KidRN

KidRN

Superstar

• 8,342 posts

Posted December 07, 2014 - 08:46 PM

Jody, I understand your argument but you cant criticize if you don't have a better idea or an idea at all. What would you do? Signing neither is pretty much what you have said since both will easily get the max from somebody. So what would you do? I would like to know maybe it would be better. Our team is trash, a move has to be made. We cant just sit and pray that we magically get better. Jackson is not the answer. He isn't half the player Rondo currently is and will probably cost more than half of what Rondo cost. Jackson will get a nice payday.

I see your logic but I think it is flawed. With your logic, we would have to either draft our future player or pray that we can steal one off of a rookie deal because everyone else will be in the same age bracket as Westbrook/Rondo. Leaving those as our only two options makes it hard to rebuild. We will be the Sixers and just suck forever.

Edited by kidpolean, December 07, 2014 - 08:48 PM.

#90 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 12,212 posts

Posted December 07, 2014 - 09:10 PM

My logic isn't flawed Im just not really trying to speculate signing a player 3 years from now lol.  Im also not fooling myself in thinking that players at the edge of their prime are looking to sign on to this [expletive]show right now.  I can almost guarantee you Rondo will not sign in LA unless its a combo move with something else big and speculating on WB is just too far down the line but I honestly don't believe its a good idea b/c I see him going out the same way Wade is now.  Wade was 28 when the big 3 got together...barely had 2 years of elite years left. 

Jody, I understand your argument but you cant criticize if you don't have a better idea or an idea at all. What would you do? Signing neither is pretty much what you have said since both will easily get the max from somebody. So what would you do? I would like to know maybe it would be better. Our team is trash, a move has to be made. We cant just sit and pray that we magically get better. Jackson is not the answer. He isn't half the player Rondo currently is and will probably cost more than half of what Rondo cost. Jackson will get a nice payday.

I see your logic but I think it is flawed. With your logic, we would have to either draft our future player or pray that we can steal one off of a rookie deal because everyone else will be in the same age bracket as Westbrook/Rondo. Leaving those as our only two options makes it hard to rebuild. We will be the Sixers and just suck forever.

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#91 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 12,212 posts

Posted December 07, 2014 - 09:13 PM

The main problem with your logic is that you assume that other moves can't be made OR that any signing means this team is in contention again.  Even if they sign Rondo, then what?  He can barely make the Celtics a playoff team.  He's avg 9.8 ppg...thats bad.  The better PGs are giving their team solid scoring AND assist w/o the constant overdribbling and assist stat padding...Rondo is more name than results.  Hasn't done anything of substance that makes people want to crown him a top 5 PG.  Like I said at least 10 better and more impactful. 

#92 KidRN

KidRN

Superstar

• 8,342 posts

Posted December 07, 2014 - 10:24 PM

The main problem with your logic is that you assume that other moves can't be made OR that any signing means this team is in contention again.  Even if they sign Rondo, then what?  He can barely make the Celtics a playoff team.  He's avg 9.8 ppg...thats bad.  The better PGs are giving their team solid scoring AND assist w/o the constant overdribbling and assist stat padding...Rondo is more name than results.  Hasn't done anything of substance that makes people want to crown him a top 5 PG.  Like I said at least 10 better and more impactful. 

better team record doesn't equal more impactful. Rondo has a huge impact on every game he plays. I dont think Rondo will make us a contender. Signing him is one step and does make us better. There isn't much else out there. We have no trade value that would get us anyone useful in return. Getting our first this year would help by he have to sign someone. You are underrating Rondo because his team is trash. Kobe on a good team right now would look amazing, same as Rondo. Lillard or Lowry on the Celtics would get the same if not worst results than with Rondo. Rondo isnt a scorer so why look at PPG? Nobody will ask him to score 20 every night.

#93 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• Gameday
  • 54,315 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted December 07, 2014 - 11:04 PM

Rondo's ppg isn't what would be the determining factor of his effectiveness. 

"Bryant had come to rage against the idea that Howard's clownish disposition could overtake the locker room, the Lakers' culture, and had warned Howard that he would never, ever let it happen." 

#94 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 23,733 posts

Posted December 08, 2014 - 12:40 AM

Rondos interesting. He'd almost be a benefit just as development steroids for randle and whomever we draft this year
Posted Image

#95 LakersFanatic

LakersFanatic

Rookie

• 926 posts
  • Fan Since:2000

Posted December 08, 2014 - 05:55 AM

Rondo is eating with kobe which obviously means he will sign with the lakers. Kobe is facing west which is where Love grew up and is obviously saying he will sign with the lakers. In the background there is a Canadian leaf. Wiggins is Canadian. Coincidence I think not. 

Now let me tell you about how KFC was behind 9/11.

My candidate for post of the year.

#96 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 7,120 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant

Posted December 08, 2014 - 11:33 AM

Rondo is a supporting piece to a championship team, so you'll pass...ok well answer this, What pg in the NBA is a main piece? Westbrook has 0, Curry has 0, Rose has 0, CP3 has 0...only argument that can be made is Parker but he is exactly as you just described Rondo, he needs great players around. I wouldn't build around any pg. Nobody is saying he needs to be our number 1 option. Pass on him and get who? Reggie? An athletic chucker that will defer to Kobe just like every other PG we've had in the last decade. I'd take Rondo just for the fact that he wont put up with Kobe bringing the ball up court. As long as Kobe is here, a young developing pg wont work. We need a vet that will take the ball and ignore Kobe. Jackson will pretty much be Lin if he comes here.

This + 1000

"Busto Ball" - troll

#97 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• Gameday
  • 54,315 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted December 08, 2014 - 12:06 PM

If the Lakers were going to make moves and truly feel like they had a window for a championship in 2016 they wouldn't pick Jackson over Rondo.

If you signed Rondo you would need to surround him with talent that can hit open shots or that he could set up for through plays. If you went after Rondo you'd likely have to go over a Jeff Green or a Wilson Chandler too. He could work with Hill but if you get Rondo understand what he is, he's a guy that will finish at the rim and look to set people up, you'll need people moving off the ball.

Randle could work with Rondo, Kobe could, Wes....meh...inconsistent.

Hill could, Davis definitely could. But you need a strong team if you want Rondo to make a bigger impact than he does in boston.

"Bryant had come to rage against the idea that Howard's clownish disposition could overtake the locker room, the Lakers' culture, and had warned Howard that he would never, ever let it happen." 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Kobe, Rondo, Lakers

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users