96 replies to this topic

#21 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 12,159 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted December 05, 2014 - 11:55 AM

Not sure how anyone can argue that Rondo is worth a max deal or any PG that can't dominate games from a scoring standpoint like Curry or Russ. 

Edited by Jody Smokes, December 05, 2014 - 12:39 PM.

• JGuez likes this

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#22 Michaelyumm

Michaelyumm

Quick & Easy

• 11,417 posts
  • Fan Since:93
  • Fav. Laker:Nick Van Exel

Posted December 05, 2014 - 12:11 PM

Sooooo I had breakfast today guys

• JEN and JGuez like this

#23 eZZy

eZZy

Off The Bench

• 2,012 posts
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted December 05, 2014 - 12:33 PM

I'd love to have Rondo here. He's someone who can help this team.

#24 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 12,159 posts

Posted December 05, 2014 - 12:44 PM

Ehh.  His impact is overrated by fans of his demeanor.  Great passer, solid defender but not much more to him.  I'd like him but Kobe and Rondo in the backcourt together just leads to even worse spacing than we have now. 

I'd love to have Rondo here. He's someone who can help this team.

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#25 erfolk

erfolk

Sixth Man

• 3,069 posts
  • Name:Lewis
  • Fan Since:Birth:10-31-86
  • Fav. Laker:All Bout The Name On The Front

Posted December 05, 2014 - 01:00 PM

Ehh. His impact is overrated by fans of his demeanor. Great passer, solid defender but not much more to him. I'd like him but Kobe and Rondo in the backcourt together just leads to even worse spacing than we have now.

I would much rather have Reggie Jackson Rondo is on the down side of his career

#26 LakersAllDay77

LakersAllDay77

Rookie

• 1,096 posts
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Fisher

Posted December 05, 2014 - 01:01 PM

I like Reggie Jackson, has a lot of potential
  • JGuez and Jody Smokes like this

#27 MaceWindu

MaceWindu

Starter

• 4,617 posts
  • Name:Ben
  • Fan Since:Hector was a pup
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted December 05, 2014 - 01:08 PM

Sooooo I had breakfast today guys

Did you have bacon?

• Michaelyumm likes this

#28 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• Gameday
  • 54,315 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted December 05, 2014 - 01:10 PM

I would much rather have Reggie Jackson Rondo is on the down side of his career

Reggie Jackson is a career 28% shooter from three point land and is shooting 25% from there this year.  

What exactly is the difference between having him and having Rondo aside from Rondo being 4 years older with championship experience and being a better passer and defender?   That Jackson shoots more and that's about it.  

If anyone's worried about the spacing of Rondo and Kobe, because Rondo has to attack going to the lane for the most part or from mid, then what do they think Jackson's main plan of attack is?   He does the same things offensively because him and Rondo shoot about the same from three.  

Jackson's a better free throw shooter though. 

but the spacing issues anyone would see with Rondo and Kobe would be the exact same as with Jackson and Kobe.  

You'll get more natural scoring from Jackson but at 41% from the field and 25% from three.  So the question is how much money you want to put into that as a starting point guard.   Brandon Knight's more efficient imo and he's the one to go after if you're throwing big bucks at a point guard in RFA. 

Edited by Majesty, December 05, 2014 - 01:14 PM.

"Bryant had come to rage against the idea that Howard's clownish disposition could overtake the locker room, the Lakers' culture, and had warned Howard that he would never, ever let it happen." 

#29 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 12,159 posts

Posted December 05, 2014 - 01:24 PM

Reggie Jackson is a better scorer than Rondo, hes also 4 years younger.  I honestly only care about getting players that have a clear future on this team not getting players Kobe likes.  Reggie Jackson also isn't going to be seeking a near 20M a year max contract either.  By the time Kobe retires we will have a 30 year old Rondo on an extremely large deal with no stars in the mix. 

Just like Melo you have this love interest in Rondo simply b/c Kobe likes him.  The Celtics won the championship 6 years ago mostly b/c they had HOF at the edge of their prime.  Celtics lost in the Finals against us largely b/c they didn't have to guard Rondo.  This is something that has been touched on numerous times in the basketball community.  Rondo has his pros but his cons are not worth the paper he's chasing nor is he worth this team tying big money up into at the expectations he's probably looking for.  Which is you know competing for a championship. 

Reggie Jackson is a career 28% shooter from three point land and is shooting 25% from there this year.  

What exactly is the difference between having him and having Rondo aside from Rondo being 4 years older with championship experience and being a better passer and defender?   That Jackson shoots more and that's about it.  

If anyone's worried about the spacing of Rondo and Kobe, because Rondo has to attack going to the lane for the most part or from mid, then what do they think Jackson's main plan of attack is?   He does the same things offensively because him and Rondo shoot about the same from three.  

Jackson's a better free throw shooter though. 

but the spacing issues anyone would see with Rondo and Kobe would be the exact same as with Jackson and Kobe.  

You'll get more natural scoring from Jackson but at 41% from the field and 25% from three.  So the question is how much money you want to put into that as a starting point guard.   Brandon Knight's more efficient imo and he's the one to go after if you're throwing big bucks at a point guard in RFA. 

• LakersAllDay77 likes this

#30 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 12,159 posts

Posted December 05, 2014 - 01:26 PM

Your belief in getting Rondo is a great idea is largely centered around the idea that KD does not like playing with Westbrook b/c he's an aggressive offensive player.  Nothing Westbrook is doing on that team is taking away from KD and there isn't anything going on that has been noted that KD would want to leave b/c he wants a more passing PG to team up with.  Get a clue Maj.  How about actually getting some of your speculation right before trying to critique mine.  I've been right on nearly everything I've challenged you on but continue to drink the kool aid

#31 Majesty

Majesty

• Gameday
  • 54,315 posts

Posted December 05, 2014 - 01:46 PM

Reggie Jackson is a better scorer than Rondo, hes also 4 years younger.  I honestly only care about getting players that have a clear future on this team not getting players Kobe likes.  Reggie Jackson also isn't going to be seeking a near 20M a year max contract either.  By the time Kobe retires we will have a 30 year old Rondo on an extremely large deal with no stars in the mix. 

Just like Melo you have this love interest in Rondo simply b/c Kobe likes him.  The Celtics won the championship 6 years ago mostly b/c they had HOF at the edge of their prime.  Celtics lost in the Finals against us largely b/c they didn't have to guard Rondo.  This is something that has been touched on numerous times in the basketball community.  Rondo has his pros but his cons are not worth the paper he's chasing nor is he worth this team tying big money up into at the expectations he's probably looking for.  Which is you know competing for a championship. 

Reggie Jackson scores more because he takes 10 more shots than Rondo does.   

And Jackson is seeking the "Bledsoe" deal.  His agent is even going around and saying that Jackson is better than Bledsoe.  

So Jackson wants that 13-14 million a year offer.      The Lakers and the Mavericks will likely be his suitors for it.   But I'd offer that to Knight first before I'd offer it to Jackson. 

I don't see any team giving or offering Rondo a max, except maybe the Knicks. 

Edited by Majesty, December 05, 2014 - 01:48 PM.

"Bryant had come to rage against the idea that Howard's clownish disposition could overtake the locker room, the Lakers' culture, and had warned Howard that he would never, ever let it happen." 

#32 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 12,159 posts

Posted December 05, 2014 - 01:47 PM

Im not going to tip toe around it.  Rondo is one of those guys who while a really good player is extremely overrated by guys that like his personality and the gritty attitude and approach he has.  That's all good but the Nets DWill is still a better PG and he still isn't worth what his contract is.  Rondo just isn't a dynamic enough player to consider throwing a max at.  People are more in love with the name more than the game.  Last year I was talking about how Lowry would probably be a better option than Rondo and most guys disagree with nothing more than the fact that Rondo was the guy that knew.  A few big games against the Heat can make a legend out of some I guess.

#33 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 12,159 posts

Posted December 05, 2014 - 01:50 PM

So let the Knicks get him then.  Probably would be better him and us lol.  We can argue all day about Rondo's impact but you can't deny the fact that Kobe/Rondo pairing would be terrible for spacing.  Getting Rondo would be strictly a Kobe move and not a move to creating a core going forward.  Jackson is 24 and is showing some serious improvements from year to year.  I'd rather bet on that than a guy I know isn't getting any better and will be 30 before the end of the year we get him.  By the time the team is even in position to compete with the young guys we will have he will be ancient. 

Reggie Jackson scores more because he takes 10 more shots than Rondo does.   

And Jackson is seeking the "Bledsoe" deal.  His agent is even going around and saying that Jackson is better than Bledsoe.  

So Jackson wants that 13-14 million a year offer.      The Lakers and the Mavericks will likely be his suitors for it.   But I'd offer that to Knight first before I'd offer it to Jackson. 

I don't see any team giving or offering Rondo a max, except maybe the Knicks. 

#34 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 12,159 posts

Posted December 05, 2014 - 01:54 PM

Maj another issue is that you continue to debate from a position that you think (insert player) actually wants to come to LA w/o considering the better alternatives.  Why would Rondo choose LA over Boston?  Can you give me any logical reasoning as to why he would do that?  Considering in 2016 cap space is largely the same, Boston has plenty of trade assets, can offer a better deal AND they have some quality support players on contract in place. 

Why must you act like the simple rabid LA fan on twitter that thinks breakfast with Kobe means anything more than 2 guys that are cool want to enjoy a meal together before they play tonight?  You dont think Rondo and Kobe have eaten together before lol?  Once you get attached to an idea you just stop making logical sense in your post. 

#35 Majesty

Majesty

• Gameday
  • 54,315 posts

Posted December 05, 2014 - 02:10 PM

Boston is already preparing for Rondo's departure which is why they drafted Smart and why of they fall into the lottery again they'll be looking at Mudiay.  

When it comes down to it, if I was offering that kind of money to anyone it would be Knight first.  

#36 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 14,457 posts
  • Fan Since:1986

Posted December 05, 2014 - 04:18 PM

Would love rondo.

He is one of the best in the NBA at, Passing, PG Defense, and floor leadership.

Yes, he might be one of the 2 worst in the NBA at shooting, but, having kobe with rondo would be perfect.

Put shooters around Rondo, and he is going to excel. He is a GREAT defender, he is possibly the best passer in the NBA, and he has a will to win that is only matched by a few players

plus.. if lakers get rondo to go with kobe, that would make a 3rd star coming much easier...

• Majesty likes this

#37 Tensai

Tensai

Superstar

• 8,198 posts

Posted December 05, 2014 - 05:59 PM

Get Rondo and Matthews, shift Kobe to SF.

fXlFKv8.gif

#38 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 16,544 posts
  • Name:Julius Jordan
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted December 05, 2014 - 06:17 PM

rajon

kobe

butler

randle

Hill

Davis

young

clarkson off bench

#39 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Hall Of Fame

• 8,982 posts
  • Name:Tyler
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The mamba

Posted December 05, 2014 - 06:20 PM

LOL give me Rondo over Jackson any day of the week. For now and the future.

"Friends come and go but banners hang forever."  - Kobe Bryant

#40 L4K

L4K

Off The Bench

• 1,576 posts
  • Name:Jason
  • Fan Since:2005
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted December 05, 2014 - 07:03 PM

Rondo is one of the big name free agents we actually have a shot at this off-season. I'd be happy to have him and if we can add in a guy like Butler or Matthews as well I'd say that's a damn solid off-season and much more enticing roster than what we have now.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Kobe, Rondo, Lakers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users