9 replies to this topic

#1 epicwolf

epicwolf

#1 Clipper hater #1 Raider hater

• 3,760 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Mamba

Posted November 24, 2014 - 07:48 AM

I know about this subject for awhile now and it has been discussed many times before. Unfortunately no matter how many times it has been discussed and how many times it has been brought up, there are still so many ignorant people out there.  I want to bring this subject out for the true gamers on this forum so we can discussed why people still think video gaming is for kids. 

This hit home for me many times and it does bug me how ignorant people are.  I am 33 years old. I considered in the catagory of a full grown adult. I have many hobbies and one of them is obviously playing video games. A a month ago I went to my girlfriend's parents house to hangout with her parents because she is now my fiance and we planning on getting married in 2016. So it is fitting that I should hangout with her parents more. So we had dinner at her house and I was hanging out with her dad. We talk and he asked me a lot of questions which was fine. Then when he came across my hobbies I told him about me liking to watch sports and motorcycles and video gaming. He stopped and was like "excuse me, did you just said video gaming? Like Super Mario video gaming?"  The ignorant just smash me in the face with that question and I knew what he was about to say.  "Aren't you a little too old for video gaming?"   I told him it is a big misconception that video gaming is only for kids or young adults. I told him I do somtimes spend hours playing video games but I also spend hours riding motorcycles and other hobbies. " I am not a loser sitting in the basement at my mom's house playing video games all night"  He said "no I didn't mean it that way. I always thought video games was only for kids"  So I end up having to educate his ignorant.

Now why do I care so much of what he thinks? Well he will be my father in law and it seems like I am not fitting to marry his daughter because I play video games and Im a man child.  The prejudgement of gamers are still rediculous to me. When I first dated my girlfriend she was also ignorant about video games. It was almost a turnoff for her when I told her on our first date that I love to play video games. Eventually she understood what I meant and she became a gamer also. She played mostly the sims and farmville and all those kind of games. Now I have to educate her dad now. 

Video gaming has been popular since the mid 80's.  I am an 80's child so i grew up during the big boom of video gaming. Yes I know it start in the early 70's with Odyssey but the video gaming didn't become big until Nintendo put it on the map. I used to play a lot more than I am now since I have a career now but I still play a lot compared to most people. I have a gaming PC and a console which I use a lot.  I find it fustrating how people are still having this misconceptions that video gaming is for kids.  If they look at the facts, the % of people who buy games and play them are in their 30's not their teens. People around my age group grew up in gaming. Now a days video games are not just jumping on platforms and cute little cartoony games. It is more complex now and you need to be an adult at times to understand it. A 7 year old won't know what to do on a lot of games that came out now a days. I want more people to understand gaming instead of being so ignorant. Some love gaming so much they became developers. Does it bother you that people still are so ignorant about gamers in general?  I know doctors and lawyers who still enjoy playing video games. 

I want to know your age and if you will ever stop gaming? I think I probably be gaming until im 70 lol. 

Edited by epicwolf, November 24, 2014 - 08:06 AM.

#2 KobeWillReturnTriumphant

KobeWillReturnTriumphant

TEIAM

• 2,439 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic/Kobe/Tony Smith

Posted November 24, 2014 - 08:46 AM

I fully support you playing video games.  I am 36 and play (not as often as I want).  I am taking a huge certification test for work tomorrow, and I had the misfortune of acquiring dragon age and gta 5 for XBox One last week.  No studying has been accomplished, but my enjoyment was grand.  Another thing that is awesome; last week I was playing destiny with three people I grew up with.  One lives in Cleveland and the other in Portland.  After the children went to sleep, we were all playing together and talking via the party app.  Video gaming may be much maligned by the uninformed, but I think it is so cool to see what gaming is accomplishing today.  If the future FIL doesn't like it, too bad.  I came to the realization that if someone will judge you on something as insignificant as video gaming, their opinion is irrelevant.  

• epicwolf likes this

#3 HQLLYWQQD

HQLLYWQQD

Rookie

• 497 posts
  • Name:Scott
  • Fan Since:1980
  • Fav. Laker:James Worthy

Posted November 24, 2014 - 09:00 AM

I'm 42, married with two kids and the fact I play video games drives my father in law nuts.

I am reasonably successful, pay my family's way in life, own my home and love video games. Always have had a console since my Atari 2600.

Like I tell my FIL, would you rather my hobbies be hookers and blow or Xbox one?

Gamer for life.. eff the haters..
  • epicwolf likes this

#4 PhillyLaker24

PhillyLaker24

Starter

• 5,186 posts
  • Name:Joseph
  • Fan Since:2001
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted November 24, 2014 - 12:04 PM

I am only 21 but have been playing since a kid. I don't ever plan on stop playing as long as I still enjoy playing them. I mean I just picked up the new pokemon game lol. Might seem like a thing for little kids but the nostalgic of it is great not to mention it is a great thing to play while watching a sporting event on tv or something else that doesn't require 100 % attention to the screen.

I assume I will be playing video games with my kids and grandkids just because it is a hobby I enjoy and find fun. I mean I am at the age where I dont really receive a certain look for still playing video games but in due time it will come. Even then I am gonna keep on playing though. People can think what they want but its better than a lot of hobbies. Would you prefer me to be a constant gambler? Or a regular drinker at a bar? The hobby that is video games might seem like a juvenile thing but I rather have a childish hobby than one that endangers my health or my own well being.

I fully support you playing video games.  I am 36 and play (not as often as I want).  I am taking a huge certification test for work tomorrow, and I had the misfortune of acquiring dragon age and gta 5 for XBox One last week.  No studying has been accomplished, but my enjoyment was grand.  Another thing that is awesome; last week I was playing destiny with three people I grew up with.  One lives in Cleveland and the other in Portland.  After the children went to sleep, we were all playing together and talking via the party app.  Video gaming may be much maligned by the uninformed, but I think it is so cool to see what gaming is accomplishing today.  If the future FIL doesn't like it, too bad.  I came to the realization that if someone will judge you on something as insignificant as video gaming, their opinion is irrelevant.  

On top of this gaming accomplishes a big thing and that is keeping friends close. People drift as you get older they inevitable move but gamers always have playing games in common and is a great way to stay connected to your childhood friends.

My one friend isn't the biggest gamer he only likes a few games like fifa or cod, but he got a ps4 because he lives in another city now and it allows for him to hop on and keep in touch with us (my other friends and I that player a good amount of games) Not to mention the fun that is gaming is ten fold when your playing with buddies.

Also I feel you pain about Dragon age I already got damn near 40 hours sunk into that game ahah

Edited by PhillyLaker24, November 24, 2014 - 12:09 PM.

• epicwolf likes this

All I want for Christmas is a Laker girl :D

#5 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 14,457 posts
  • Fan Since:1986
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted November 24, 2014 - 03:43 PM

Im 28 and my parents hate me playing video games...
Even when I was a sponsered gamer, being paid to play, they still hated it. I would go to school at 8 am, then work, and get home at midnight, plannin to practice(yes, when you are paid to play, it is practice) and find my mum had taken my xbox away

Nowadays, i barely play at all. Nothing out there really excites me.

#6 ace™

ace™

Most Interesting

• 10,772 posts
  • Name:Jorge Negrete
  • Fan Since:1997
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted November 24, 2014 - 05:19 PM

Was watching a documentary on Netflix about gaming just last week and a fact that kind of surprised me was that the average gamer is something like 32 or 35 years old, and 47% of all gamers are female which surprised me even more.

I'm 24 myself and an avid gamer, i've never had that bad misconception about games being for kids. Especially the types of games I love. It's a hobby just like a lot of other things adults like to do.

I never plan on stopping either, I might slow down a bit when I get older and get married and have kids, but i'll always be a gamer.

#7 Game

Game

Your Daddy

• 12,770 posts
  • Fan Since:Late '80s

Posted November 24, 2014 - 07:24 PM

32, and maybe find time to play probably twice a week for between an hour or two...

if i were less busy, and single, i would play a lot more.

there honestly really shouldn't be a stigma anymore, it really is a fact, the average age for people playing video games is over 30, my generation is really the first one that grew up with video games as a mainstream form of entertainment...they're here to stay, anyone that doesn't like it better get used to it.  

Posted Image

#8 PuigNotLate

PuigNotLate

GIRAFFES

• 3,581 posts
  • Name:Mychal
  • Fav. Laker:James Worthy

Posted November 24, 2014 - 07:35 PM

It's just like any other hobby, really. When I lived with my folks my mom would constantly chastise me in the winter time if I chose to play video games for a portion of the day. The funny thing is, when she is off, she watches television literally the whole day. I'm like, what's the difference? Both of them are time wasters. 

Do what you enjoy, bottom line.

#9 epicwolf

epicwolf

#1 Clipper hater #1 Raider hater

• 3,760 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Mamba

Posted November 26, 2014 - 08:37 AM

Video games is like an escape for a lot of people. Majority of the games out there are very violent so instead of shooting up people in real life you can do it in video games. Another stupid ignorant misconception is that video games are too violent for kids and it will make them become violent in real life. Kids growing up being violent is mainly due to their up bringing or society or their brain situation, not because they play COD. Only stupid kids will follow what the video games do. Most kids are smart. I played video games since I was 5 years old and I played violent video games all the time. I dont go around shooting up people. If you are already psycho in the head you can read shakespear as your hobby and you will still shoot up people.  Look at most cereal killers. I doubt they play a lot of video games. Some of them are very smart and are scholars.

#10 ace™

ace™

Most Interesting

• 10,772 posts
  • Name:Jorge Negrete
  • Fan Since:1997

Posted November 26, 2014 - 11:54 AM

Cereal killers tho.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users