Photo

Official Jahlil Okafor vs Karl Towns Thread

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#1 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• Gameday
  • 54,315 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted November 19, 2014 - 01:44 PM

Yep :P.

Thus far I'd put Okafor ahead though. When I'm not on my phone ill put more details here.

"Bryant had come to rage against the idea that Howard's clownish disposition could overtake the locker room, the Lakers' culture, and had warned Howard that he would never, ever let it happen." 

#2 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 14,457 posts
  • Fan Since:1986
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted November 20, 2014 - 12:40 PM

Id take okafor WAY over towns.

but towns is solid

#3 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Hall Of Fame

• 8,537 posts
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted November 21, 2014 - 10:07 PM

I think this is a tough call.

Okafor seems as ready as they come with classic post skills for a C and is filling up the stat-sheet on a Duke team that just destroy their opponents. My concern is that he seems to be a good (not great) rebounder and and not all that good of a defender. I think he's likely to become an Al Jefferson type - perhaps not all that much better, but probably not any worse either. 

Towns' ceiling to me is way higher than Okafor's, but he's been struggling offensively so far in the season. A good sign is his shot blocking ability which seems to be the best on the team - even better than WCS. I think at the next level, Towns could be a complete game-changer on both ends of the floor - or he could be the next Spencer Hawes. 

• Jody Smokes likes this

#4 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 12,135 posts
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted November 22, 2014 - 10:37 AM

I'd take either right now but Okafor could be a good mix with Randle.  Some good hi low ball there.  Randle is going to get most of his from working from the elbow and Okafor is going to be on the low block.  I like Towns versatility though.  He has the most unknown potential.  I just worry about what I read about Okafor's defensive ability. 

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#5 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Legend

• 10,835 posts
  • Fan Since:Since 1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted November 22, 2014 - 10:57 AM

Okafor has that real big man game to me. Back to the basket and embraces contact

Watched Towns, he doesn't like contact. He doesn't have that aggressive side to him from what I gave seen so far

#6 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 12,135 posts
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted November 22, 2014 - 06:41 PM

Might be the 40 lb difference but I think Towns is a real big man just different

Okafor has that real big man game to me. Back to the basket and embraces contact

Watched Towns, he doesn't like contact. He doesn't have that aggressive side to him from what I gave seen so far

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#7 Lakerace24

Lakerace24

Starter

• 5,137 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Fan Since:Birth

Posted November 22, 2014 - 06:59 PM

I think you have to bite the bullet with Okafors defense or lack thereof. He's a supreme offensive talent at the college level with the best chance of any prospect to develop that rare back to the basket big man's game. Although I wouldn't be sad if we landed Towns either, right now I think okafor has to be the guy.

#8 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Legend

• 10,835 posts
  • Fan Since:Since 1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted November 23, 2014 - 04:41 PM

Might be the 40 lb difference but I think Towns is a real big man just different

What I meant was.... As far as post gamr, Okafor had a big man's game... Where as Towns looks lost on offense.He seems like a Hibbert type of player to me .

As I am typing this... He has 2 pts.... Only 2 shot attempts 9 rbs and 5 blocks. I dig the blocks but he just doesn't do it for me on the other side of the court.

#9 Majesty

Majesty

• Gameday
  • 54,315 posts

Posted November 23, 2014 - 04:56 PM

Okafor looks like his ceiling would be maybe a little above Al Jefferson's.  Great post up skills, bad defensive skills. Scoring big man that can't play defense on the other end. 

The worry is that if Randle is your 4 of the future and Okafor is your 5 of the future because the best kind of center to put behind Randle would be a defensive one, or one that can at least be a rim protector, I don't think Okafor can be that at the next level.   

That's where my worry would come if we wound up with a top 5 pick. 

Edited by Majesty, November 23, 2014 - 04:56 PM.

"Bryant had come to rage against the idea that Howard's clownish disposition could overtake the locker room, the Lakers' culture, and had warned Howard that he would never, ever let it happen." 

#10 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Hall Of Fame

• 8,537 posts

Posted November 23, 2014 - 09:24 PM

Okafor looks like his ceiling would be maybe a little above Al Jefferson's.  Great post up skills, bad defensive skills. Scoring big man that can't play defense on the other end. 

The worry is that if Randle is your 4 of the future and Okafor is your 5 of the future because the best kind of center to put behind Randle would be a defensive one, or one that can at least be a rim protector, I don't think Okafor can be that at the next level.   

That's where my worry would come if we wound up with a top 5 pick. 

This is right and i think it would be a concern. 

Right now Towns have exceeded expectations on that end (had 6 blocks last night), and with his passing/shooting ability, i think he'd be the perfect fit with Randle. 

That said, Okafor and Randle surrounded by 3s/D wings would be a nightmare to go against as well, and much like Jefferson, i think Okafor could become a good defensive player. 

• FranklinPeanuts likes this

#11 Majesty

Majesty

• Gameday
  • 54,315 posts

Posted November 25, 2014 - 09:49 PM

the score..

also the defense by WCS

Edited by Majesty, November 25, 2014 - 09:51 PM.

#12 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Hall Of Fame

• 8,537 posts

Posted November 25, 2014 - 11:00 PM

Towns Last Night vs. UT-Arlington:
13 pts, 11 rbs, 4 ast, 1 stl, 3 blk, 0 TOs on 5-5 shooting in 17 mins.
  • Majesty likes this

#13 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 25,659 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted November 26, 2014 - 02:02 PM

Okafor gonna have a come back game here. He had 2 poor scoring nights. I see him coming back with 20+ points and 10 rebounds with 2 blocks. 

#14 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 25,659 posts

Posted November 26, 2014 - 02:35 PM

Well looks like Duke starters aren't going to play much. Major Blowout. 

lol commentators saying Okafor would look great in a Laker uniform. I agree. 

Edited by bigfetz, November 26, 2014 - 02:39 PM.

#15 BleedPurple&Gold

BleedPurple&Gold

Superstar

• 7,230 posts
  • Name:Gary
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant, Magic

Posted November 26, 2014 - 02:43 PM

Okafor has an amazing touch. He palms the ball like a grapefruit. I know they aint playing anyone but great to see that hook shot by him.

#16 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 25,659 posts

Posted November 26, 2014 - 03:36 PM

Well Okafor looks done for tonight.  24 point 7 rebounds 2 blocks and 3 assists on 12-14 shooting. Was really close on my prediction. It was hard for him to get rebounds though because duke would steal the ball before they could shoot. 

#17 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 23,254 posts

Posted November 26, 2014 - 08:32 PM

Okafor is by far the better offensive talent, his touch is an important thing, it's fantastic, and the one thing that is impossible to teach.

You see randles big calling card is touch, it's the difference between a Demarcus cousins and Dwight Howard

Athleticism is important but the ability to toss a ball at the rim with your back to the basket and have it bounce in more times than not, to use the backboard and have it go in is a huge thing when discussing offense.

The thing about okafor is he could benefit immensely from dropping 20lbs on the defensive end, just enough that he impacts that side while maintaining his offense.

Towns is a perfect for randles buddy down low but in all likelihood he will be a defensive anchor more than a guy who dominates on both sides of the ball

I don't see towns ever being a low post guy. I see face up, mid range shooter, occasional down low guy, while being a defensive force

He's like something in between Noel and Davis to me

Okafor though needs to look at Duncan as a model for what to be body wise. Drop some weight, work on the feet movement
Posted Image

#18 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Hall Of Fame

• 8,537 posts

Posted November 26, 2014 - 09:54 PM

I think Towns' skills translate better to the modern nba with his ability to stretch the floor, pass and defend.

• Instigator likes this

#19 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 23,254 posts

Posted November 26, 2014 - 10:20 PM

Better to start a new trend than go with the current trend

You see all it takes is one player to be a dominant player to become a mismatch for the rest of the league.
Posted Image

#20 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Hall Of Fame

• 8,537 posts

Posted November 27, 2014 - 02:17 AM

IMO Okafor is almost certain to become as good as Al Jefferson and almost certain not to be all that much better.

Towns is certain to become a high-IQ, better passing and defensive version of Spencer Hawes, but also has a potential to become a more athletic version Arvydas Sabonis, which is scary.

• Majesty likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users