#1481 stillshining

stillshining

Off The Bench

• 2,015 posts
  • Name:Adam
  • Fan Since:1993
  • Fav. Laker:Slava Medvedenko

Posted November 05, 2015 - 01:06 PM

the optimist in me says he'll start taking and making that mid-range j @ a semi-reliable clip by next year... but most likely he won't start taking them with confidence for another 2-3 years. the good news... in 2-3 years he'll still only be 22.

A guy that's often compared to Randle in Griffin is someone we can look to for comparison. Griffin is an absolute gym rat and after coming to the league with a weird hitch and inefficient shot he has become a true knockdown shooter. His improvement is truly amazing and Randle can see that it is very possible

#1482 Ventiquattro

Ventiquattro

All-Star

• 6,566 posts

Posted November 05, 2015 - 01:31 PM

Celtics fans believe smart is head and shoulders better than Randle. None seem willing to discuss Clarkson :'D

Edited by Ventiquattro, November 05, 2015 - 01:33 PM.

#1483 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 16,681 posts
  • Name:Julius Jordan
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted November 05, 2015 - 01:53 PM

Smart looks better this season, and he'll continue to grow. But I think Randle is a diff level than any Celtic

#1484 JGuez

JGuez

All-Star

• 6,008 posts

Posted November 05, 2015 - 02:15 PM

Said it before and I'll say it again. I was very high on Smart pre-draft (wanted Randle though) but after having seen him play a full season and parts of this I just don't think he's that great. I even feel he is overrated. 

If you don't have a shot in today's league then you better be a heck of a passer....and he isn't.

His defense is good though but I don't see him as a floor general whatsoever.

Edited by JGuez, November 05, 2015 - 02:15 PM.

• lakerfan98 likes this

#1485 KSOR24

KSOR24

Off The Bench

• 1,905 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted November 05, 2015 - 02:59 PM

Smart is an elite defender and his shot has improved a lot. His one on one skills are lacking, but with his size and strength there's no reason to think that he can't get better. I think his ceiling is a point guard version of Igoudala, and if I was a Celtics fan I'd have no complaints with that. I think Randle has a very high potential too, and personally I'd rather have Clarkson + Randle than just Smart, so I'd say we had a better draft.

Funny thing is we're basically the opposite of the Celtics. We have players with a ton of offensive potential but who aren't good defenders, and their young guys are great defenders but aren't good enough offensively to put them over the top.

#1486 Klewfish

Klewfish

Reppin' LA on the East Coast

• 2,197 posts
  • Name:Chris
  • Fan Since:Game 4 of 2000 NBA Finals

Posted November 05, 2015 - 08:45 PM

Smart is an elite defender and his shot has improved a lot. His one on one skills are lacking, but with his size and strength there's no reason to think that he can't get better. I think his ceiling is a point guard version of Igoudala, and if I was a Celtics fan I'd have no complaints with that. I think Randle has a very high potential too, and personally I'd rather have Clarkson + Randle than just Smart, so I'd say we had a better draft.

Funny thing is we're basically the opposite of the Celtics. We have players with a ton of offensive potential but who aren't good defenders, and their young guys are great defenders but aren't good enough offensively to put them over the top.

I actually really like that comparison.

Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.

#1487 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 16,681 posts

Posted November 05, 2015 - 09:14 PM

It's good to be opposite of the Cs.

Randle vs Sullinger
Clarkson vs Bradley
Russell vs Smart

#1488 dbtbandit67

dbtbandit67

Rookie

• 420 posts
  • Fan Since:1994
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted November 07, 2015 - 07:30 PM

Randle's on point right now, love his unrthodox game, it's refreshing to see him come back strong, seemingly unscathed from that horrible injury he suffered.

• 43,918 posts

Posted November 13, 2015 - 08:04 PM

Blows opportunities near or at the rim way too much. Out of control too often. Still a shaky jumper. Got a long ways to go it seems to build some solid consistency. Also, as Stu has mentioned, work on that right hand as well.

yo.

#1490 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Legend

• 10,993 posts
  • Fan Since:Since 1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted November 13, 2015 - 08:06 PM

Needs to be able to go ish with his right hand.

#1491 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 16,681 posts

Posted November 14, 2015 - 10:56 AM

Biggest issue.

The media/ fans want to rush Russell's development and it's taking away from Randle and Clarksonbeing more ball dominant which is more effective for them

#1492 UKUGA

UKUGA

Superstar

• 7,589 posts
  • Name:UKUGA
  • Fan Since:1981
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted November 14, 2015 - 12:08 PM

Hopefully, we will see him playing more in control once we get back home.  He played pretty well against both Dallas & Denver at home.  Played okay against the Nets, and finished pretty well against Orlando.

He's some very good moments so far this year on a terrible team.  

Don't feed the trolls. 

#1493 Jackson

Jackson

Legend

• 10,440 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant/Kareem/Sasha(LOL)

Posted November 14, 2015 - 12:29 PM

Hopefully, we will see him playing more in control once we get back home.  He played pretty well against both Dallas & Denver at home.  Played okay against the Nets, and finished pretty well against Orlando.

He's some very good moments so far this year on a terrible team.  

Right now his main problem is that he's capable of doing so much that he's trying to do so much. He needs to trim down his game and focus on his strong points. THEN we'll start seeing a consistent Randle.

#1494 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 16,681 posts

Posted November 14, 2015 - 05:29 PM

Right now his main problem is that he's capable of doing so much that he's trying to do so much. He needs to trim down his game and focus on his strong points. THEN we'll start seeing a consistent Randle.

Had he been healthy last year, the media/fans/league could have focused on him daily and he would be a player who knows what his strengths are.

But , all you who needed to see Russell do more, you got it.

Just don't be surprised that it results in seeing less from Clarkson AND Randle.

• 43,918 posts

Posted November 16, 2015 - 06:34 AM

Another disappointing game last night. Looks lost out there at times. Still blowing baskets around the rim too often and still has a broke jumper. Too predictable off the dribble.

yo.

#1496 True Lakers Fan

True Lakers Fan

Dead Discussion! You will not win, because I will not lose&a

• 24,241 posts
  • Name:Kyler
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Lamar

Posted November 16, 2015 - 06:36 AM

He needs to stop going fast towards the rim when the defender is right infront of him, change your speed.

Kobe%20Bryant%20Sig%20v3.jpg

• 43,918 posts

Posted November 16, 2015 - 06:39 AM

I'd just like to at least see him post up more. Catch the ball starting downlow as opposed to the top of the key or 3pt line and use that brute strength of yours to finish or draw a foul. Take a page out of MWP's game perhaps.
  • True Lakers Fan likes this

yo.

#1498 True Lakers Fan

True Lakers Fan

Dead Discussion! You will not win, because I will not lose&a

• 24,241 posts
  • Name:Kyler
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Lamar

Posted November 16, 2015 - 08:06 AM

I'd like to see that too

Kobe%20Bryant%20Sig%20v3.jpg

#1499 noknife

noknife

Sixth Man

• 3,844 posts
  • Fan Since:1978
  • Fav. Laker:Shaquille Oneal/Kobe Bryant

Posted November 18, 2015 - 09:13 AM

Biggest issue.

The media/ fans want to rush Russell's development and it's taking away from Randle and Clarksonbeing more ball dominant which is more effective for them

You think that the media and fans have any control over what happens in the real world.  If that were true there is no way that Byron Scott would be the Lakers coach, among a very very very long list of other things that would not be happening.  The fans have no effect on how any of these guys play.

#1500 JGuez

JGuez

All-Star

• 6,008 posts

Posted November 18, 2015 - 09:46 AM

Randle really needs to get back to basics IMO.

Rebound and easy buckets. The rest of his game can develop over time.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: julius randle, randle

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users