Photo

How many points will Kobe average this season?

kb24 kobe lakers

• Please log in to reply
165 replies to this topic

#121 avcpl

avcpl

Rookie

• 1,024 posts
  • Fan Since:since my dad took me to see "Wilt the Stilt" at the Forum
  • Fav. Laker:whoever wins the next game

Posted November 12, 2014 - 06:36 AM

I hope Kobe averages 30ppg...and I'm serious.  Kobe's pursuit of the scoring title is about the only good thing I'm looking forward to for the next 2 years...

not me; just the opposite.  chasing a scoring title by jacking up points on a meaningless team is bush-league and below Kobe's greatness.

given that we are going to lose anyway, I had hoped he would be shooting more efficiently, and likely scoring less, but being a crafty, intelligent Ron Harper type and a coach on the floor that would be mentoring young players giving them confidence and establishing a rhythm to the game...

but no, Kobe gotta eat (points) no matter what...

• LAkerFan85 likes this

#122 RobBlake

RobBlake

Starter

• 4,449 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, Fisher, Magic

Posted November 12, 2014 - 06:52 AM

not me; just the opposite.  chasing a scoring title by jacking up points on a meaningless team is bush-league and below Kobe's greatness.

given that we are going to lose anyway, I had hoped he would be shooting more efficiently, and likely scoring less, but being a crafty, intelligent Ron Harper type and a coach on the floor that would be mentoring young players giving them confidence and establishing a rhythm to the game...

but no, Kobe gotta eat (points) no matter what...

so lets blame Kobe for the lack of talent around him.. he should be able to avg 25-28 7-10 apg and 5 Rebounds at a very late stage in his career.

He's too old to be the leader in every category. He should focus on scoring and mentoring people. We are like 7 games in and you are saying a bunch of bull crap already about him. The season just started

ap1.png

#123 avcpl

avcpl

Rookie

• 1,024 posts
  • Fan Since:since my dad took me to see "Wilt the Stilt" at the Forum
  • Fav. Laker:whoever wins the next game

Posted November 12, 2014 - 06:58 AM

maybe Kobe just isn't taking ENOUGH shots.  at this clip, something like 60-70 shots per game should do it.  we might win a couple games that way, he'll get the scoring title and entrench the misses title that much more. 

go Kobe! 

#124 Mike D'Antoni

Mike D'Antoni

Off The Bench

• 1,426 posts
  • Name:Juan
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted November 12, 2014 - 09:54 AM

Kobe winning the scoring title at 36 would be pretty remarkable

#125 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 12,284 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted November 12, 2014 - 09:56 AM

It will be pretty sad to see him do it like AI shooting 40% from the field and sub 30 from 3

Kobe winning the scoring title at 36 would be pretty remarkable

• Ventiquattro likes this

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#126 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 16,673 posts
  • Name:Julius Jordan
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted November 12, 2014 - 10:01 AM

Only to a stat nerd

Kobe's game has NEVER been predicated on FG%

Never

And, the same way a 6 footer averages 40%.. a 36 year old should be able to lack the FG efficiency of younger or bigger players

This is an example

Shaq, one of the best ever, shoots 6 of 10

Mj in his prime, LeBron as well, shoots 5/10

Kobe and Ai shoots 4/10

#127 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 7,537 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted November 12, 2014 - 11:39 AM

He's got to average a lot to catch Kareem...he'll catch MJ before Feb...possible he catches him before New Years...

405/25  ?  Yeah...he'll be 3rd very soon.

6500?  LOL...would be interesting...if he could average 22ppg, he could pass Kareem in 2017...

This based on all 82 for 3 years?

No way.

Praying for  1. Some Cohesion (Ill fitting parts with young bucks, new guys, and those playing for next contracts may muck things up all season) 2. Better Coaching, No More Tanking (Last season was more of the latter but not sure how much of the former we can count on. Walton with something to prove this season as much as any Laker player) 3. Rookie Watch (Hoping Lonzo outshines his daddy (ROTY??), and Kuzma finds minutes and makes a push for all rook 2nd team)

READY FOR SEASON!!!

#128 Ventiquattro

Ventiquattro

All-Star

• 6,566 posts

Posted November 12, 2014 - 12:19 PM

I know its obvious but Lakers are better when he shoots less.

I liked his approach against Houston Clippers (1-3 quarters) Hornets and Memphis.. He should build on that.

Im sure we'll see an even better Kobe in the next games if he's being monitored  minutes wise. His efficiency and FGM will go up cause Kobe will never miss shots like the easy shots he had.

Up until now I'm impressed with how he's playing.

#129 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• Gameday
  • 54,335 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted November 12, 2014 - 12:22 PM

The reason it looks like the Lakers are better when he shoots less is because he shoots less when everyone else is producing and according to statistics only takes a high volume of shots when the Lakers are down in a game or other players aren't producing and they would have lost more games had he not done it as team efficiency actually rose when he did it. 

When Kobe only has to score 21 or 19 etc, it's because everyone else is stepping up.     If Kobe just scored 19 while everyone else was doing bad we'd lost and lose bad. 

• Obsidien likes this

"Bryant had come to rage against the idea that Howard's clownish disposition could overtake the locker room, the Lakers' culture, and had warned Howard that he would never, ever let it happen." 

#130 erfolk

erfolk

Sixth Man

• 3,078 posts
  • Name:Lewis
  • Fan Since:Birth:10-31-86
  • Fav. Laker:All Bout The Name On The Front

Posted November 12, 2014 - 12:26 PM

so lets blame Kobe for the lack of talent around him.. he should be able to avg 25-28 7-10 apg and 5 Rebounds at a very late stage in his career.
He's too old to be the leader in every category. He should focus on scoring and mentoring people. We are like 7 games in and you are saying a bunch of bull crap already about him. The season just started

Did you read what he replied to? The other poster was ok seeing us lose but it's ok because Kobe gets to shoot a lot. I agree with this statement this isn't good to see him shhot a lot and where losing.

#131 Mike D'Antoni

Mike D'Antoni

Off The Bench

• 1,426 posts
  • Name:Juan
  • Fan Since:1996

Posted November 12, 2014 - 12:49 PM

Regardless of his fg percentage Still pretty cool seeing an old nba player doing it.

#132 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 12,284 posts
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted November 12, 2014 - 01:15 PM

You sound corny trying to act like stats don't tell a story.  Kobe has always been above average in efficiency from the floor outside of the lockout year.  Kobe shooting 40 percent from the field is not a good thing and you dont have to be a stat nerd to figure that out. 

Only to a stat nerd

Kobe's game has NEVER been predicated on FG%

Never

And, the same way a 6 footer averages 40%.. a 36 year old should be able to lack the FG efficiency of younger or bigger players

This is an example

Shaq, one of the best ever, shoots 6 of 10

Mj in his prime, LeBron as well, shoots 5/10

Kobe and Ai shoots 4/10

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#133 L4K

L4K

Off The Bench

• 1,576 posts
  • Name:Jason
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted November 12, 2014 - 10:56 PM

Defences have swarming Kobe most games because they know that they don't have to worry about any of the other starters being consistent threats to score the ball. If we had another player that defences had to respect I think Kobe's percentage would be higher. I've lost count of the amount of bail-out shots I've seen Kobe take already this season.

#134 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 16,673 posts
  • Name:Julius Jordan
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted November 12, 2014 - 11:27 PM

Kobe is also taking too many bad shots and missing too many makable shots for a true all star

#135 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Hall Of Fame

• 8,711 posts
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted November 12, 2014 - 11:46 PM

Kobe is also taking too many bad shots and missing too many makable shots for a true all star

I dont know what the hell he's doing. I dont mind him taking a lot of shots if he can makes some of them. But he's missing shots he usually hits and he's not giving anyone else much room to operate.

One time i heard one coach say that you could beat the Lakers when Kobe was scoring one point per shot - which is his current rate. The coach said that Lakers often won, when Kobe was scoring 1.3-1.5 points per shot.

#136 Jackson

Jackson

Legend

• 10,440 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant/Kareem/Sasha(LOL)

Posted November 13, 2014 - 12:32 AM

I dont know what the hell he's doing. I dont mind him taking a lot of shots if he can makes some of them. But he's missing shots he usually hits and he's not giving anyone else much room to operate.

One time i heard one coach say that you could beat the Lakers when Kobe was scoring one point per shot - which is his current rate. The coach said that Lakers often won, when Kobe was scoring 1.3-1.5 points per shot.

I agree. He's missing very makable shots. He could be averaging 32+ points a game. I'm sure they'll eventually fall as the season the progresses.

#137 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Hall Of Fame

• 8,711 posts

Posted November 13, 2014 - 12:40 AM

I agree. He's missing very makable shots. He could be averaging 32+ points a game. I'm sure they'll eventually fall as the season the progresses.

If he could just turn it down a notch - turn those 28 shots into 22 and give out an extra assist or two, that would do wonders.

#138 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• Gameday
  • 54,335 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted November 13, 2014 - 12:48 AM

Somehow I think the number of shots Kobe takes in high volume likely go down when Young returns.  I don't think that's someone Kobe has to worry about being aggressive when he gets him the ball. 

"Bryant had come to rage against the idea that Howard's clownish disposition could overtake the locker room, the Lakers' culture, and had warned Howard that he would never, ever let it happen." 

#139 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Hall Of Fame

• 8,711 posts

Posted November 13, 2014 - 01:01 AM

Somehow I think the number of shots Kobe takes in high volume likely go down when Young returns.  I don't think that's someone Kobe has to worry about being aggressive when he gets him the ball. 

True. I was thinking the same thing, but right now Kobe seems to think he's playing on those old Smush Parker teams and that a bad shot from him is better than any shot from anyone else. His usage rate is 36, which is insane, and while he's the leading scorer he's taking 6 more shots than no. 2 (Curry).

Harden who also have struggled with his shot (.387 FG%) is scoring 25ppg, but on 18 shots, whereas Kobe's 27,5 ppg is on nearly 25 FGAs. Its crazy.

#140 stillshining

stillshining

Off The Bench

• 2,015 posts
  • Name:Adam
  • Fan Since:1993
  • Fav. Laker:Slava Medvedenko

Posted November 13, 2014 - 01:04 AM

The crazy thing about Kobe this year is he's either hot or cold. He'll go through a ridiculous stretch like the first quarter tonight starting 6-10 then somehow end up 10-29. Or the opposite in Golden State when he couldn't hit a shot in the first half then exploded in the third. I do expect his efficiency to at least reach 42-43% but one things for sure, Kobe demands defensive attention that only a handful of others in the league can. I remember people doubting that but it's obvious opponents still think he's a threat

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: kb24, kobe, lakers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users