#1 epicwolf

epicwolf

#1 Clipper hater #1 Raider hater

• 3,760 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Mamba

Posted September 19, 2014 - 01:46 PM

http://www.pcworld.c...processors.html

I just built my first gaming PC not too long ago. In fact it was in August.  I went the route of an SLI with two Nvidia GTX770 and I can play pretty much every game in max settings. Sure some games lack a little bit of frame rates but not even noticable.  Then I was just checking out some nvidia news and it finally came out with a brand new graphics card for Nvidia fanboy like myself to think about getting.  I read up on it and it kind of confused me a little. I admit I am not a PC guru that knows everything about PC. I did say I built my first PC just recently so I am a complete noobie in terms of all this tech talk.  Thats why I created this thread.  I want to hear from experienced gaming PC builders if I should just get rid of my SLI cards and get a hold of this GTX980?  A review said that it is better than the GTX780ti.   I look at the retail price and for $540 bucks base model it is actually cheap.  I was expecting it to be more than that since the 780ti is still expansive as f*****. I was expecting it to be between the price of the 780ti and the Titan which is like 800 bucks or so. Why is the price like that? ANd should we jump on this brand new graphics card?  

Interesting how they skip the 800 series all together and jump on the 900 series.

Edited by epicwolf, September 22, 2014 - 05:45 AM.

#2 MrRJ

MrRJ

Rookie

• 1,093 posts
  • Name:Raymond Perez
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted September 19, 2014 - 04:05 PM

Single always has its advantage over SLI. Purpose of SLI is bang for buck.

That being said unless you want to have the best of the best enjoy your 770's and wait until price drops. You're not going to notice much of a difference in games unless you're looking side by side or monitoring fps.

Benchmarks are roughly 10-15% better than 780(what I own). So if you made the decision not to go 780 the 880 is not that much of a difference. Lighter on the electricity bill with a few more features.

My preference on video cards is to wait two generations unless you're going higher class.

Edited by MrRJ, September 19, 2014 - 04:09 PM.

#3 L4K

L4K

Off The Bench

• 1,576 posts
  • Name:Jason
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted September 19, 2014 - 04:15 PM

I've got a GTX 680 (4gb) and it can run pretty much everything although the latest games can't quite get a solid 60 FPS on max/ultra settings but it's served me well for almost 2 years now. Been looking to upgrade it though, really want to future proof my rig. I want to get a Titan card but damn those things are expensive.

#4 WZRD

WZRD

The Underachiever

• 1,772 posts
  • Fan Since:mid 90's
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted September 19, 2014 - 07:33 PM

no need to upgrade bruh

zombie

#5 Jackson

Jackson

Legend

• 10,440 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant/Kareem/Sasha(LOL)

Posted September 19, 2014 - 07:51 PM

I'm an AMD fanboi here but from my experience, single cards tend to perform better since data is exchanged through the PCI bus a lot faster. When you have duo cards set up through Crossfire or SLI they tend to be slower, naturally.

But yeah. The other members are 100% on point. Don't upgrade unless you want to jump into a whole new series. I typically wait 1-2 years before I think about upgrading.

Edited by Jackson, September 19, 2014 - 07:51 PM.

#6 L4K

L4K

Off The Bench

• 1,576 posts
  • Name:Jason
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted September 19, 2014 - 08:02 PM

Thanks for the info guys, wasn't looking to upgrade soon, but eventually I'll have to do it. 

#7 epicwolf

epicwolf

#1 Clipper hater #1 Raider hater

• 3,760 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Mamba

Posted September 22, 2014 - 05:43 AM

Thanks for the input.  It seems like the main sell point for this new graphic card is power consumption and to me it is a very good sell point. Keep in mind my rig is SLI so it is using quite a bit of power and if I can get a graphics card that is little bit more powerful than the 780ti while using less stress on the power, why not?  THe price is pretty good for what it gives you.  Cheaper than the 780ti and a little bit more powerful. Yea it doesn't seem like a huge jump comparing to the 780ti and obviously not as powerful as the titan but for the price it seems reasonable.  I might pick this up maybe sometime next year when the price goes down a bit if it ever does or when I decided to built a new rig.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users