#1 Jaime Quintanilla

Jaime Quintanilla

Redesign. Rebuild. Reclaim.

• Site Admin
  • 4,349 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted September 13, 2014 - 02:33 AM

Alrighty. Who is purchasing it? I'm still debating in trading in my Nexus 5 for the iPhone 6 Plus 64GB in black.

#2 BlueJab23

BlueJab23

Rookie

• 491 posts
  • Fan Since:Not a Fan
  • Fav. Laker:Not a Fan

Posted September 13, 2014 - 07:24 AM

Im not a big iPhone fan so I don't really keep up with it.  Anyways other than the screen size what else is different from iPhone 5s to iPhone 6?

My friend use to have the iPhone 5 then switch to 5s and paid like 100 dollars for the upgrade then realized after a month that the only difference is the home button and slow motion video. I don't think that is worth 100 dollars.

#3 JGuez

JGuez

All-Star

• 5,984 posts

Posted September 13, 2014 - 07:47 AM

I preordered one and it'll arrive on the 19th and sold my 5S last week.

It looks like it's going to be an excellent phone (as usual) but I watched the keynote yesterday and it's really just not a huge upgrade from the 5S which is actually normal for them. Apple tends to be on a 2 year cycle so if you buy a phone from them, wait a year you wont see much of a difference but if you wait 2 years and go from an iPhone 5 to an iPhone 6, you're going to notice quite a jump.

Pretty excited though because I like new shiny things.

• j0k3r likes this

#4 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,429 posts

Posted September 13, 2014 - 09:39 AM

I preordered the iPhone 6 at launch so I'll get it next Friday.

I am not a fan of the large phones as I use it so often and I am very uncomfortable having that big thing out in public. For me, the 6 is just right for me. The 6 Plus looks pretty cool, but its based off preference of the user. 

Im surprised you still have a Nexus, I've heard nothing but terrible things about it haha

• j0k3r likes this

#5 Mr Terrific

Mr Terrific

dwight got traded for the ends of the white🍞& an 🍊

• 8,685 posts
  • Name:Prince George
  • Fan Since:2014
  • Fav. Laker:Blimey!

Posted September 13, 2014 - 10:27 AM

It comes out on my birthday! UCLA is paying me to use a Nexus so I'll cop the Plus in October

FACEBOOK MR TERRIFIC HD Bottom Line Is We're Gonna Win With You Or Without You And If You Don't Get That, Then It's Best You Go Somewhere Else--Dean Smith

#6 Jaime Quintanilla

Jaime Quintanilla

Redesign. Rebuild. Reclaim.

• Site Admin
  • 4,349 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth

Posted September 13, 2014 - 10:31 AM

I'll wait when I can actually just go to my local T-Mobile store, play around with it and make up my mind then and there, and purchase it.

• Jackson likes this

#7 Disaster in Paradise

Disaster in Paradise

Do you wanna tickle my big ol' long toes?

• 11,506 posts

Posted September 13, 2014 - 10:51 AM

I got small hands to begin with; so...

140755062746.jpg

I like to dip my feet in toilet water & smell them.

#8 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Sixth Man

• 3,630 posts
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Dennis Rodman

Posted September 14, 2014 - 07:33 AM

I will get an iphone 6 when the iphone 7 comes out.  Which means my almost new iphone 5s is pretty cool to me right now!

I try to spend my money on stuff that appreciates in value, not phones and cars.

• FranklinPeanuts and Tommy Karate like this

Debbie Downer

#9 Marc Maron

Marc Maron

either/or

• 3,414 posts
  • Name:Spooky

Posted September 14, 2014 - 02:43 PM

I preordered the iPhone 6 at launch so I'll get it next Friday.

I am not a fan of the large phones as I use it so often and I am very uncomfortable having that big thing out in public. For me, the 6 is just right for me. The 6 Plus looks pretty cool, but its based off preference of the user. 

Im surprised you still have a Nexus, I've heard nothing but terrible things about it haha

What terrible things have you heard about the Nexus? 

• ace™ likes this

hR3rI.png

#10 Mr Terrific

Mr Terrific

dwight got traded for the ends of the white🍞& an 🍊

• 8,685 posts
  • Name:Prince George
  • Fan Since:2014
  • Fav. Laker:Blimey!

Posted September 14, 2014 - 06:08 PM

FACEBOOK MR TERRIFIC HD Bottom Line Is We're Gonna Win With You Or Without You And If You Don't Get That, Then It's Best You Go Somewhere Else--Dean Smith

#11 bigvee

bigvee

Legend

• 12,522 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Samaki Walker

Posted September 14, 2014 - 06:50 PM

I'm just waiting for a huge hacking effort to go for the pay system.

Really, carrying credit cards in wallet isn't that much of a hassle. I personally wouldn't use that feature. You still need your wallet for your ID, cash, gas cards, insurance cards, etc.

#12 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,429 posts

Posted September 14, 2014 - 07:04 PM

What terrible things have you heard about the Nexus? 

To be honest, it has more to do with Android then the actual phone itself. Couple of friends who have it are always complaining that its really buggy and runs slow. 

I had the original Nexus and had to send it in for repair 4-5 times so I didn't have a good experience with the early models, which is when I decided to make the switch to Apple. 

It could very well be a good phone, just saying what I've heard from friends who have it. 

#13 Draztik

Draztik

Illmatic

• 8,433 posts
  • Fan Since:1986 - Birth!
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Gasol, Artest

Posted September 14, 2014 - 08:24 PM

I never had issues with Android on my Nexus 5 at all. Even was running Android L as a daily driver. Personal preference when it comes to phones.
  • Marc Maron likes this

21lsbya.jpg
Peep my music at my youtube page here: MUSIC!

#14 Marc Maron

Marc Maron

either/or

• 3,414 posts
  • Name:Spooky

Posted September 14, 2014 - 10:22 PM

^ that..

If anything Android on any Nexus device runs the best because it's completely stock android. No bloatware or any of that touchwiz crap.. Had Nexus 4 for 2 years now unlocked and rooted 0 problems. Don't know how the original nexus ran but the 4 and 5 are some of the best and highest praised phones of the past few years. 

hR3rI.png

#15 bigvee

bigvee

Legend

• 12,522 posts

Posted September 15, 2014 - 12:27 AM

^ that..

If anything Android on any Nexus device runs the best because it's completely stock android. No bloatware or any of that touchwiz crap.. Had Nexus 4 for 2 years now unlocked and rooted 0 problems. Don't know how the original nexus ran but the 4 and 5 are some of the best and highest praised phones of the past few years. 

How much better is a rooted device? Quick pros and cons maybe?

#16 Draztik

Draztik

Illmatic

• 8,433 posts
  • Fan Since:1986 - Birth!
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Gasol, Artest

Posted September 15, 2014 - 06:29 AM

Rooting it just gives you root access to change firmware and other software features. It doesn't make the phone perform any better or anything but depending on what firmware and/or kernel you install it can help performance. 

• Kobe-Wan Kenobi and -Wade- like this

21lsbya.jpg
Peep my music at my youtube page here: MUSIC!

#17 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,429 posts

Posted September 15, 2014 - 09:38 AM

^ that..

And that's completely acceptable to me. I'm simply passing along what I've been told from people who have the phones. I won't be one of those guys to start an Android/iOS internet war so don't worry  :laughing:

At the end of the day, its based on personal preference.  I know some people who absolutely hate iPhone and iOS, while others who cannot stand Android. 

I had the original Nexus for two years but I only had it that long cause I couldn't afford another phone while terminating my contract at the same time. If I remember correctly, TMobile finally gave me a replacement for the final 6 months of my contract.

• Marc Maron likes this

#18 -Wade-

-Wade-

知己知彼,百戰不殆

• 6,465 posts
  • Name:Wade
  • Fav. Laker:♛ Kobe Bryant

Posted September 15, 2014 - 10:36 AM

Rooting your device gives you just that--root access. Software and hardware manufacturers place limitations on your phone. Root gives you nearly complete freedom to do what you want with your device and escape those limitations. Depending on your phone, you can overclock your processor and tweak your phone to do multiple things: scale the CPU settings, access certain information like battery temperature and cpu information, create cpu profiles when your phone does certain actions (screen on, screen off, charging, etc.), alter scaling frequencies, sysctl configuration, kernel tinkering, and a lot more.

You can strip advertisements and popups on all apps, literally automate everything, increase battery life, flash roms and kernels, and have access to a lot of new apps that are "root-required." You can even make your phone a wifi-hotspot without paying any additional fee to your phone service provider. If you really get into it, the custom ROMs and kernels can be amazing because they add a lot more features and freedom than the stock android operating system.

I guess the only con would be having to learn how to root and flash without losing any important information. I would backup all of your contacts, txts, etc. before rooting your device.

• bigvee, Kobe-Wan Kenobi, Marc Maron and 1 other like this

LeGj1r3.png

"I'm always a firm believer in us being able to make our own decisions." --Kobe Bryant

Q: When you take off your jersey for the final time, what will you leave behind on the court?
A: "My heart and soul." --Kobe Bryant

#19 JGuez

JGuez

All-Star

• 5,984 posts

Posted September 15, 2014 - 10:44 AM

I'm just waiting for a huge hacking effort to go for the pay system.

Really, carrying credit cards in wallet isn't that much of a hassle. I personally wouldn't use that feature. You still need your wallet for your ID, cash, gas cards, insurance cards, etc.

I don't think this Apple Pay thing is to replace credit cards....yet. Eventually, but I'm sure Apple understands right now this is just more of a convenience than anything. 

I've owned 2 Android phones and 2 tablets. If you go Android that doesn't run the stock OS it is worth rooting just for the performance alone. If you get a flagship phone that a lot of people will have there is a huge community that fine tune the OS better than the OEM in most cases.

One of my Android phones was the Galaxy Nexus which was stock OS but I even rooted that one to get free wifi tethering. 

I guess the only con would be having to learn how to root and flash without losing any important information. I would backup all of your contacts, txts, etc. before rooting your device.

It was definitely a little scary the first time I ever did it but once you do it you get comfortable and it's really not so bad. 

I don't know how much Google is supporting it now but I know they were releasing flagship devices with pure android on them so rooting to get stock OS isn't really worth the time as much anymore. 

Edited by JGuez, September 15, 2014 - 10:46 AM.

• bigvee likes this

#20 bigvee

bigvee

Legend

• 12,522 posts

Posted September 19, 2014 - 11:33 AM

Anyone get it? First thoughts?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users