• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 25,474 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted September 09, 2014 - 06:21 PM

Great just what the world needs, another freaking MP3 player. Go Steve! Where's the Newton?!

iPoop... iCry. I was so hoping for something more.

http://forums.macrum...hread.php?t=500

#2 Jackson

Jackson

Legend

• 10,066 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant/Kareem/Sasha(LOL)

Posted September 09, 2014 - 08:26 PM

http://forums.macrum...hread.php?t=500

What are you trying to compare here?

The iPod was indeed something new.

#3 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 25,474 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted September 09, 2014 - 08:43 PM

What are you trying to compare here?

The iPod was indeed something new.

Not really actually. There were many MP3 players and lots of people though it was just a copy cat. Im not really making much of a point just funny to see all the hate on a product that pretty much saved apple and made them into what they are today. 

#4 Ven

Ven

Chemist

• 3,271 posts
  • Fan Since:1994-5
  • Fav. Laker:Jack

Posted September 09, 2014 - 09:47 PM

From what I remember it was a lukewarm reception at best, if not mistaken as well during this interval Apple was a little shaky regarding it value. Up until then its its biggest income were the colored Macs seen in different school over the country. I don't know if it was because the market already had plenty of MP3's, I think more than anything Apple was just seen as another generic brand.

• Jackson likes this

#5 PuigNotLate

PuigNotLate

GIRAFFES

• 3,581 posts
  • Name:Mychal
  • Fav. Laker:James Worthy

Posted September 09, 2014 - 10:05 PM

I still don't quite understand how the iPod blew up the way it did.

It's an alright MP3 player, but there are(and were, back then) so many others that did the same things and could use multiple media players for a fraction of the price.

#6 lqv2015

lqv2015

Rookie

• 640 posts

Posted September 09, 2014 - 11:48 PM

Wasn't it only one of two companies/player that was hard drive base? 5gb I believe. Other MP3 players were around but it used flash memory and can only hold a few songs. I remembered wanting one but couldn't afford it. $500 was the price tag. It really blew my mind that you could hold 1000 songs in your pocket. It wasn't until the mini came out that made the iPod a house hold name. I also read somewhere that it wasn't Jobs that came up with the idea. 2 other guys did and they're no longer with Apple.

#7 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 14,457 posts
  • Fan Since:1986
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted September 12, 2014 - 09:44 PM

I remember back in the early days, someone busting out a ipod was an experience....

"What! there are hundreds or thousands of songs on that little thing that can fit in your pocket!!!!"

You could either have an entire ROOM full of cds, or one little device... it was wild...

I loved my ipod I had... and I hated when someone stole it..

Funny reading that old thread (reading old threads is one of my favorite things)

all the haters!

#8 bigvee

bigvee

Legend

• 12,528 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Samaki Walker

Posted September 12, 2014 - 10:15 PM

I can't believe I made my parents pay $300 for an iPod video. I feel bad for the money wasted.

#9 JGuez

JGuez

All-Star

• 5,984 posts

Posted September 13, 2014 - 03:10 PM

The reason the iPod was such a success was because of iTunes. You could have gotten any MP3 player, but none or not many of them anyways (can't even think of a competitor) came with a music store that managed your music content.

I don't remember the exact quote but there is a quote in the Jobs book that goes something like "It's not that people want to be thieves and steal music illegaly. It's just that there isn't a place for them to do it legally.".

Sure, there were and still are pirates but Apple gave users a way to do things legally. At the time, a dollar a song wasn't so terrible. Today you spend 10 bucks a month on Google Music or Spotify and you get everything. (That's what I do now a days.)

Edited by JGuez, September 13, 2014 - 03:10 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users