• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Clutch Factor

Clutch Factor

Hall Of Fame

• 9,794 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted August 13, 2014 - 05:02 PM

Basically, I downloaded a textbook in PDF format. For reference, the main textbook I need it for is 1326 pages and has a size of 23 MB. This site explains how to successfully convert from PDF to EPUB: http://www.howtogeek...-ebook-reading/

Would reading that converted EPUB file on an eBook reader be a good idea? I would purchase the digital version of the textbook, but in this case it's not much cheaper than the print version. I also download a bunch of PDF files (mainly books) and read them on my phone. Perhaps converting and transferring those files onto the "tablet" would be more comfortable.

If so, which would be the best to choose? The ones I have in mind are the Kindle Fire HD and the Nook HD to name a few. Which tablet would be better in terms of price, storage, features, et cetera? 

Edited by Clutch Factor, August 15, 2014 - 06:22 PM.

#2 -Wade-

-Wade-

知己知彼,百戰不殆

• 6,475 posts
  • Name:Wade
  • Fav. Laker:♛ Kobe Bryant

Posted August 13, 2014 - 05:13 PM

Because the quality of PDFs vary, some higher quality ones might load slower on certain devices. The ASUS Transformer Pad handles all PDFs beautifully. It is valued at $400, but TigerDirect has it on sale for $180 right now. You can annotate/highlight and export your annotated PDF to Dropbox, an external hdd, email, etc. I highly recommend it having owned it myself, but the "quality refurbished" might throw some people off.

http://www.tigerdire...oQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

I am not sure how well the Kindle Fire handles high quality PDFs. But if it was a toss-up between the TF300 and the Kindle Fire, I would go with the former. And with 32GB of storage, you can literally carry a library around with you.

I decided to get a tablet for school so that I could save money on textbooks. I did some extensive research and ended up going with the TF300 over the Kindle Fire, Nook, et cetera.

• Clutch Factor likes this

LeGj1r3.png

"I'm always a firm believer in us being able to make our own decisions." --Kobe Bryant

Q: When you take off your jersey for the final time, what will you leave behind on the court?
A: "My heart and soul." --Kobe Bryant

#3 Clutch Factor

Clutch Factor

Hall Of Fame

• 9,794 posts

Posted August 13, 2014 - 05:36 PM

Because the quality of PDFs vary, some higher quality ones might load slower on certain devices. The ASUS Transformer Pad handles all PDFs beautifully. It is valued at $400, but TigerDirect has it on sale for $180 right now. You can annotate/highlight and export your annotated PDF to Dropbox, an external hdd, email, etc. I highly recommend it having owned it myself, but the "quality refurbished" might throw some people off.

http://www.tigerdire...oQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

I am not sure how well the Kindle Fire handles high quality PDFs. But if it was a toss-up between the TF300 and the Kindle Fire, I would go with the former. And with 32GB of storage, you can literally carry a library around with you.

I decided to get a tablet for school so that I could save money on textbooks. I did some extensive research and ended up going with the TF300 over the Kindle Fire, Nook, et cetera.

Thanks for the input! 

Wow, 32 GB and a 10.1" screen at that price sounds amazing. I'll look into the other features as well. From my very brief research, I did find some users complaining about the use of eBooks on the Kindle Fire and Nook (I think those are more for other features than handling PDF's and/or converted EPUB anyways). My laptop is an ASUS brand too, and it has given me no problems thus far. 

I don't think it being refurbished should be too big of a problem (hopefully not), I'll do some more research on it and hopefully purchase it soon. I'll quote you if I run into any questions!

Edit: Based on the written and video reviews as well as your assessment of the TF300, I'm loving the product. I did decide to purchase it! (Wish I would have done this last year haha) 

Edited by Clutch Factor, August 14, 2014 - 08:36 AM.

• -Wade- likes this

#4 -Wade-

-Wade-

知己知彼,百戰不殆

• 6,475 posts

Posted August 14, 2014 - 09:17 PM

^Nice!!

I think you made a good choice, but perhaps I am biased in this regard. However, you can do much more than just read books with this Transformer Pad. It excels for office purposes, making it perfect for school and or general study.

You are going to need to download an app to read your ebooks. I recommend Montano Reader and ezPDF Reader. The former for general reading purposes and fast annotation. The latter for "flattening" your annotations / highlights onto the PDF and exporting it. They compliment each other well, depending on what you are reading.

Let us know how you like it when you receive it. If you want to build onto it in the future, I highly recommend this accessory:

http://www.amazon.co...T/dp/B007SHJIP6

You will probably also want to pickup a stylus ($5 to $20).

• Clutch Factor likes this

LeGj1r3.png

"I'm always a firm believer in us being able to make our own decisions." --Kobe Bryant

Q: When you take off your jersey for the final time, what will you leave behind on the court?

#5 Clutch Factor

Clutch Factor

Hall Of Fame

• 9,794 posts

Posted August 15, 2014 - 08:55 AM

Due to the various features present, I'm sure it'll be a great investment (usually the case for technological devices, but some more than others). Thanks, I definitely will download those apps!

Stylus will be a must need whenever I need to annotate. Also, do you recommend getting a screen protector, or would one not be needed? Some reviews state that the "resolution of the screen looks worse after applying the screen protectors."

#6 -Wade-

-Wade-

知己知彼,百戰不殆

• 6,475 posts

Posted August 15, 2014 - 10:01 AM

I myself have a screen protector. I did not notice a huge difference, but perhaps this is due to the specific brand that I have. I got the ArmorSuit Military Shield for like $15. I also got a carrying case for mine for another $10. It has worked out for me perfectly thus far.

LeGj1r3.png

#7 Clutch Factor

Clutch Factor

Hall Of Fame

• 9,794 posts

Posted August 15, 2014 - 12:25 PM

Got it. Is this the one? http://www.amazon.co...ield asus tf300

Looks very sturdy, although seems like it's going to require patience to put it on. And If it truly is lifetime replacement (besides future shipping/handling costs), it's worth it.

#8 -Wade-

-Wade-

知己知彼,百戰不殆

• 6,475 posts

Posted August 15, 2014 - 02:22 PM

Got it. Is this the one? http://www.amazon.co...ield asus tf300

Looks very sturdy, although seems like it's going to require patience to put it on. And If it truly is lifetime replacement (besides future shipping/handling costs), it's worth it.

That is the one. If my memory serves me correctly, it does require a little patience. I think I put mine on and left it alone for 24 hours. The benefits far outweighed the costs for me ;) as I was interested in safeguarding my tablet as much as possible. And indeed, it does come with a lifetime warranty. Just make sure you keep the packaging and papers that come with it.

LeGj1r3.png

#9 -Wade-

-Wade-

知己知彼,百戰不殆

• 6,475 posts

Posted August 15, 2014 - 03:27 PM

I don't think you need a stylus that is tailored for the TF300, since any stylus will work with a touch screen. It boils down to personal preference. I went through three pens before I found something that I liked, which was a stylus that had a greater diameter, felt more sturdy, and did not have cheap rubber that would easily pop or fold inward.

The brand name of the stylus that has worked well for me is ifrogz.

Otherwise, I would try to look for something in-person that looks both durable and usable.

Edited by -Wade-, August 15, 2014 - 03:30 PM.

LeGj1r3.png

#10 Clutch Factor

Clutch Factor

Hall Of Fame

• 9,794 posts

Posted August 15, 2014 - 03:50 PM

Ah, I hadn't known that. I'll look at more online as well as local stores. 

Thanks, bro! : )

• -Wade- likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users