Photo

Miami signs Michael Beasley to a ten-day contract (Pg. 26)

• Please log in to reply
507 replies to this topic

#41 Lightsoutwilly

Lightsoutwilly

Off The Bench

• 2,200 posts
  • Name:William
  • Fan Since:1994
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted July 30, 2014 - 12:39 PM

Ahhhh this is what id like to see everyday.. My fella laker fans being happy.. I am glad we're happy so far.. Lets keep it up guys. :)

#42 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• Gameday
  • 54,338 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted July 30, 2014 - 12:40 PM

No they are both BELOW average NBA players.  A fine defensive SF is Trevor Ariza, a fine scoring SF is Chandler Parsons.  Michael Beasley has scoring TOOLS, however, Michael Beasley isn't particularly good at scoring for a team that's trying to win games.  The year he avg 19.2ppg he had a PER of 15.5.  15 is the league average.  You know how inefficient you have to be to have an avg PER and average nearly 20ppg?  That's Rudy Gay Raptor level bad. 

Wes Johnson also isn't anything more than the average athletic wing that has no skills.  He's also extremely sometimey on defense. 

While he was sometimey on defense last year he held people to 40% on isolation last year.   That's not bad in the least honestly.  The problems with his inconsistency offensively.  Defensively he held opposing players to 40% and the fact he also had to play 4 against people that oversized him and it didn't screw that up says he is a good defender.  He's not a stopper by any means but he isn't terrible.

He had a very solid first half of the season to the point you were singing his praises and saying he was a must keep.  He had an inconsistent second half of the season despite still holding opposing opposition to 40% and you then 180'd him as a scrub not worth keeping. 

The one thing Wes did well last year was defense.  His offense was inconsistent and he settled for the mid range far too much.  But he did shoot 36.4% from three and finished 60.5% around the basket and at the rim.   The reason his field goal percentage is muffed is because he settled for the long mid range jumper far too often where he shot 34.7% from. 

What that means is that Wes needs to focus on slashing and being purely 3 and D slasher and not settle for mid range jumpers and cut to the basket more and finish with intensity. 

Like I said, we know who Wes is, he just has to focus on doing what he does best and being the best he can at it.  And 36% from three 60% finishing around the basket and holding opposing players to 40% shooting is not a bad get. 

Hopefully you'll see the Wes that had you singing his praises during the first half of the season as opposed to the latter.  But being that Byron was the main guy saying Wes needs to cut to the basket more and finish more aggressively one can expect it will play more to Wes' strengths than his weaknesses(long 2s).    That's the best we could hope for if we want to maximize Wes. 

"Bryant had come to rage against the idea that Howard's clownish disposition could overtake the locker room, the Lakers' culture, and had warned Howard that he would never, ever let it happen." 

#43 OH-IO-LA

OH-IO-LA

Rookie

• 119 posts
  • Name:jason
  • Fan Since:1980's

Posted July 30, 2014 - 12:44 PM

I like Beasley and think he would be a good addition.

Just for fun, wouldn't his dream team to play for be the Nuggets? 

#44 BleedPurple&Gold

BleedPurple&Gold

Superstar

• 7,241 posts
  • Name:Gary
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant, Magic

Posted July 30, 2014 - 12:45 PM

Still believe in him but I don't know. He needs to start recognizing his potential.

#45 RickyStarFox

RickyStarFox

Off The Bench

• 1,502 posts
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted July 30, 2014 - 12:53 PM

If we get Beasley , all of a sudden this Off season isn't as bad imo.

We have a bunch of good to decent players.  Way deeper than last year at least.

Best part is we managed to keep the gems from the previous season, mainly Young, Hill, Kelly, Xavier , Wes.

I think people are underestimating our bigs depth too.

Booz, Hill, Randle , Davis and Sacre is a solid front line imo, no where near best in the league , but we have a good mix of Defense , Skill and Hustle.

Edited by RickyStarFox, July 30, 2014 - 12:53 PM.

#46 bigvee

bigvee

Legend

• 12,592 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Samaki Walker

Posted July 30, 2014 - 01:05 PM

I think he'd just be coming here to vacation in LA and make a quick mil. I don't see much need for him at this point - he wouldn't even be good trade bait IMO. Don't really care for him at this point.
  • Jody Smokes likes this

#47 Lightsoutwilly

Lightsoutwilly

Off The Bench

• 2,200 posts

Posted July 30, 2014 - 01:13 PM

Just the fact that we have a coach that wants to focus on defense is already a great offseason. Add kobe to the mix with randle, boozer, lin and beasley. Thats a darn good off season. Im thinking way better than last year.

#48 manaro90

manaro90

Starter

• 5,273 posts
  • Fan Since:2000

Posted July 30, 2014 - 01:14 PM

If we get Beasley , all of a sudden this Off season isn't as bad imo.

We have a bunch of good to decent players.  Way deeper than last year at least.

Best part is we managed to keep the gems from the previous season, mainly Young, Hill, Kelly, Xavier , Wes.

I think people are underestimating our bigs depth too.

Booz, Hill, Randle , Davis and Sacre is a solid front line imo, no where near best in the league , but we have a good mix of Defense , Skill and Hustle.

yeah your right!

Cologne, Germany Baby! LAKERS FOR LIFE.  |   Add me Instagram: princealaddin90

#49 M.X.M.

M.X.M.

@WeCarpeDiem

• 3,987 posts
  • Name:Mehran
  • Fan Since:Early 2000s
  • Fav. Laker:Retired #

Posted July 30, 2014 - 01:28 PM

Sign him. We have nothing to lose. He can't joke around here in LA with kobe being the alpha bad cop

IG: @WeCarpeDiem 

Twitter: @WeCarpeDiem

#50 Massacre

Massacre

yo

• Contributor
  • 8,551 posts

Posted July 30, 2014 - 01:34 PM

I would rather sign Marion.
  • kball and martin90 like this

#51 Lakersfan1211

Lakersfan1211

Legend

• 20,344 posts

Posted July 30, 2014 - 01:40 PM

New story: The Lakers are considering signing free agent forward Michael Beasley http://es.pn/1AzYBTd 

• DeeZee and M.X.M. like this

#52 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Legend

• 16,681 posts
  • Name:Julius Jordan
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted July 30, 2014 - 01:41 PM

I dont saee the fit.

in term s of line up

you think

Lin

Kobe

Beasley

Boozer

Hill

fits?

We would be poor defensively...good rebounding, poor shooting and floor spacing

Beasley is more of a stretch four than anything

I mean if we played

Nash, Clarkson, Beasley, Kelly and Davis...That could be an interesting unit

Prefer to let wes and X get those minutes

#53 Purp&Gold16

Purp&Gold16

Rookie

• 4 posts
  • Name:Franks
  • Fan Since:1980's

Posted July 30, 2014 - 01:52 PM

I don't see the fit either? Don't we already have enough of these type of guys on this team. i guess more offense can't hurt...We def gonna be putting up some points this year with this squad just hope they can be consistent on defense.

#54 Lightsoutwilly

Lightsoutwilly

Off The Bench

• 2,200 posts

Posted July 30, 2014 - 02:17 PM

Dave McMenamin@mcten 32m

New story: The Lakers are considering signing free agent forward Michael Beasley http://es.pn/1AzYBTd

Go get him mitch... 1mil wouldnt hurt just incase henry and wes dont come in as an improve players. Dude can still score and if he tries to mess around, scott wont let it get out of hand.

#55 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• Gameday
  • 54,338 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted July 30, 2014 - 02:23 PM

Beasley wouldn't be starting imo.

"Bryant had come to rage against the idea that Howard's clownish disposition could overtake the locker room, the Lakers' culture, and had warned Howard that he would never, ever let it happen." 

#56 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 7,545 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo

Posted July 30, 2014 - 02:24 PM

Can't see him lasting with his 'tude and Byron as HC.

The guy has some issues for sure and if he's a misfit and unhappy now as an NBA player...good luck several years from now when youre out of the league with little to no money and no prospects.

Pull it together Bees and contribute.

The alternative is 'the dangerous loner'.

Guys like Nash and Nick seem like good guys to be around.

Not Beasley. 

Hope someone gets through to the man.

Could really be helpful but he is running out of second chances like 3 chances ago

Praying for  1. Some Cohesion (Ill fitting parts with young bucks, new guys, and those playing for next contracts may muck things up all season) 2. Better Coaching, No More Tanking (Last season was more of the latter but not sure how much of the former we can count on. Walton with something to prove this season as much as any Laker player) 3. Rookie Watch (Hoping Lonzo outshines his daddy (ROTY??), and Kuzma finds minutes and makes a push for all rook 2nd team)

READY FOR SEASON!!!

#57 God Shammgod

God Shammgod

"Drink Hennessey straight, with tomato juice"

• 792 posts

Posted July 30, 2014 - 02:27 PM

Sure it's not a marquee free agent signing, but Beasley could be a great addition to our bench. I'd bet he could give us 15 or so if given minutes. I'm not getting all this "BUT HE SMOKES THE WEEDS GUIZE"/bad influence rhetoric.

#58 Lightsoutwilly

Lightsoutwilly

Off The Bench

• 2,200 posts

Posted July 30, 2014 - 02:29 PM

Can't see him lasting with his 'tude and Byron as HC.
The guy has some issues for sure and if he's a misfit and unhappy now as an NBA player...good luck several years from now when youre out of the league with little to no money and no prospects.
Pull it together Bees and contribute.
The alternative is 'the dangerous loner'.
Guys like Nash and Nick seem like good guys to be around.
Not Beasley.
Hope someone gets through to the man.
Could really be helpful but he is running out of second chances like 3 chances ago

The only way to deal with him if tries to mess around is to cut him. Which probably wouldnt cost much anyway. Its not like we're trying to get rid of melo's contract if we try to get rid of him so i think its all good.

#59 3Js

3Js

Off The Bench

• 2,194 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:#8

Posted July 30, 2014 - 02:30 PM

Beasley wouldn't be starting imo.

thats what people think. but you never know. if he buys into playing D, he could start. we have enough scoring punch on the bench already..

#60 mrclutch

mrclutch

Rookie

• 1,279 posts
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:michael cooper

Posted July 30, 2014 - 02:32 PM

Sign him. High reward low risk player if the contract is right.
  • Anansi1171 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users