Photo

Miami signs Michael Beasley to a ten-day contract (Pg. 26)

• Please log in to reply
507 replies to this topic

#461 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• Gameday
  • 54,370 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted September 17, 2014 - 04:47 PM

For the first half of the season Jody called Wes a game changer and someone that we could afford to bring back, one of the few he actually felt that way about.  But his 2nd half of the season inconsistency understandably is where Jody brings his current opinion from. 

The first half of the season Wes was playing at maximum confidence and doing precisely what he was supposed to do, cut to the basket and take threes and play defense, and the chemistry he'd formed with Blake was a big part of that as he would actively cut to the basket for the incoming lob.  

The 2nd half of the season was a different story where he was played at both the 3 and the 4, and the point guard situation had changed and then by the time he'd developed chemistry with Marshall, D'antoni started Farmar, and then Blake was gone, and we saw Wes settle for the mid range jumper and have the ball in his hands to create something more often than he should. 

But when Wes had his role secure in the beginning of the season, cutting to the basket and shooting threes he looked very good, and he played solid defense as well.  Not Tony Allen level, but he wasn't terrible either and averaged a steal and a block a game despite his 2nd half of the season diminish  

So Wes is a fine piece to have and he fits his role within the offense and is likely to benefit from the Princeton because of it's role for him within it as long as it's based around his cutting and threes more so than setting him up for mid range jumpers. I'm not worried about Wes fitting in.  

In fact let's not forget, he had a strong start and he had a horrible December, but he started to turn it back around in January, and in February he got to play starter 'minutes' he played 35 mins a game in February and he had his best month, he put up 13.8 points 5.6 rebounds 1.5 blocks per game and 1 steal a game on 51% shooting and 50% from three.   That entire February is the kind of Wes Johnson you want to see for the majority of a season and his role seemed very secure and where it needed to be. 

Then... first game of March.  He's started at Power Forward against the Portland Trailblazers, Wes at this point at maximum confidence and playing actually finds a way to have a good game, wears Aldridge out by beating him down the court each time and put up 14 points 7 rebounds 4 assists, 2 blocks and 2 steals while also making the game sealing alley oop out of bounds play.      However it didn't take him long to be worn out by having to defend 4s every night and the rest of march was an inconsistent struggle for him and his minutes dropped to 24 mpg.  

Then in April his role was placed back at the 3, but his role was also changed in terms of responsibilities he got the ball more in isolation situations, situations Wesley Johnson should never EVER EVER be given the ball for.  He found himself taking more mid range shots and cutting to the basket less.   It hit it's pinnacle in Dallas when he shot the ball 13 times, making 3 and only shot 2 three pointers the entire game.   

So April was a microcosm of where you should use Wes Johnson and where you shouldn't.  He averaged 10/9 as the 3rd or 4th most important option, but he was taking 10+ shots a game and shot 37% from the field because of all the long mid range jumpers he was now taking in the offense, which is a shame because he wound up shooting 42% from three that month as well and would have been a LOT more efficient if he wasn't taking so many mid range shots to settle for, both James and Byron touched on this. 

By now it should be apparent to everyone if you want to maximize Wesley Johnson..

DO:  

Have his role in the offense be three pointers and cutting to the basket and finishing at the rim. 

DON'T:
Have him isolate, or draw up plays for him to shoot mid range jumpers 

NBA  "DO" Usage Comparison: Gerald Green in PHX
NBA "DON'T" Usage Comparison: Michael Beasley in PHX 

It's pretty simple.   I think and hope Byron understands that. 

Edited by Majesty, September 17, 2014 - 04:47 PM.

• BasketballIQ likes this

"Bryant had come to rage against the idea that Howard's clownish disposition could overtake the locker room, the Lakers' culture, and had warned Howard that he would never, ever let it happen." 

#462 Чад

Чад

Kings

• 4,683 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted September 18, 2014 - 03:19 AM

I'm sure Byron knows how to coach. At least, I would hope so.

• Majesty likes this

¡Hala Madrid! Neymar Rules!  

#463 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 13,210 posts
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted September 18, 2014 - 04:21 AM

Im not gonna lie and say I read all of that Maj but the whole play great for a 2-3 weeks and then fall flat is the story of Wes Johnson's career.  He's a player that if he didn't sign with LA for the minimum this offseason he was probably on his way to China. 

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#464 gque24

gque24

Starter

• 4,683 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:KOBE

Posted September 18, 2014 - 05:45 AM

i dont care what espn says I think for myself. I judge talent by their skills on the court only!

If you think GMs and front offices are just dense fans like you that watch ESPN to gain an idea of what Beasley is you're less intelligent than I originally thought.  You don't have to worry about me and you debating anymore. 

Never Wrong Always Right Like Freeway Exits!!

#465 stillshining

stillshining

Off The Bench

• 2,015 posts
  • Name:Adam
  • Fan Since:1993
  • Fav. Laker:Slava Medvedenko

Posted September 18, 2014 - 08:49 AM

Lol Wes doesn't deserve all that writing about him
  • Jody Smokes likes this

#466 Lakersfan1211

Lakersfan1211

Legend

• 20,344 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted September 18, 2014 - 01:32 PM

Don't be surprised if Alonzo Gee ends up in camp with Lakers. Byron Scott a fan during their time with Cavs.

#467 Majesty

Majesty

• Gameday
  • 54,370 posts

Posted September 18, 2014 - 01:34 PM

He's X without the ball handling ability to pretend to be a point guard.  

I'd say Wayne Ellington would possibly be a more effective fit between the two if you're looking for insurance for X.   But Gee fits fine into doing what X does and dunking wise he's more Shannon Brown while X is more power oriented though Gee made Anderson look foolish for jumping.

Gee specializes at getting out on the fast break and looking in the air for your lobs and since Byron wants to run the break when the young guys are out there it wouldn't surprise me to see Gee in the camp he's exciting and a high leaper you can throw the pass anywhere in the direction of the rim and he'll get it so Lakers fans would enjoy him on that side anyway.  

Edited by Majesty, September 18, 2014 - 01:42 PM.

"Bryant had come to rage against the idea that Howard's clownish disposition could overtake the locker room, the Lakers' culture, and had warned Howard that he would never, ever let it happen." 

#468 Majesty

Majesty

• Gameday
  • 54,370 posts

Posted September 18, 2014 - 01:55 PM

If you want to see what Alonzo Gee brings here you go 

Therein are dunks on Dahntay Jones, the Celtics, Chris Anderson, Anthony Davis, Chris Bosh and a slew of others.  He's a go getter on the offensive glass and in his best season with Scott had 5 rebounds a game in 29 mins played.  That's where his athleticism suits him.  His minutes were cut under Brown so you didn't see much of him.  But Gee is essentially X but can get up a little higher on the rebounding side just a little less reckless and understands his game a little more at this point as he should he's been in the league 6 years.  

So Gee is someone it wouldn't take Lakers fans very long to like, and if Byron wants to run with the second unit young team or if we'll need more options at some spots when Kobe is sitting back to backs then Gee is your guy, or Ellington, I suspect both could get camp invites and a chance to prove themselves. But Gee probably becomes a fan favorite if given the opportunity. We'll see if he can replicate what he did in Cleveland IF he gets the invite and makes the team.  Both him and X need to work on three point shooting, both leap out of the building, Gee a bit more though X has the better handle and slashing, Gee is the better free throw shooter and when he drives with confidence can be a devastating finisher.  Both of them work well for what Scott wants to do.

Edited by Majesty, September 18, 2014 - 01:59 PM.

#469 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Legend

• 11,772 posts
  • Fan Since:Since 1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted September 18, 2014 - 02:06 PM

If you want to see what Alonzo Gee brings here you go

Therein are dunks on Dahntay Jones, the Celtics, Chris Anderson, Anthony Davis, Chris Bosh and a slew of others. He's a go getter on the offensive glass and in his best season with Scott had 5 rebounds a game in 29 mins played. That's where his athleticism suits him. His minutes were cut under Brown so you didn't see much of him. But Gee is essentially X but can get up a little higher on the rebounding side just a little less reckless and understands his game a little more at this point as he should he's been in the league 6 years.

So Gee is someone it wouldn't take Lakers fans very long to like, and if Byron wants to run with the second unit young team or if we'll need more options at some spots when Kobe is sitting back to backs then Gee is your guy, or Ellington, I suspect both could get camp invites and a chance to prove themselves. But Gee probably becomes a fan favorite if given the opportunity. We'll see if he can replicate what he did in Cleveland IF he gets the invite and makes the team. Both him and X need to work on three point shooting, both leap out of the building, Gee a bit more though X has the better handle and slashing, Gee is the better free throw shooter and when he drives with confidence can be a devastating finisher. Both of them work well for what Scott wants to do.

Damned... You beat me to it.
  • Majesty likes this

#470 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Legend

• 11,772 posts
  • Fan Since:Since 1989

Posted September 18, 2014 - 02:12 PM

Good comparison. The S.Brown
  • Majesty likes this

#471 Lakersfan1211

Lakersfan1211

Legend

• 20,344 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted September 23, 2014 - 03:46 PM

Yahoo Sources: Memphis, Michael Beasley reach agreement on deal. http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources--michael-beasley-signing-non-guaranteed-contract-with-grizzlies-002809588.html 

Eric Pincus ‏@EricPincus  13s

I never quite understood how Beasley would fit with Lakers - a team with an army of forwards

We can move this to NBA talk.

Edited by Lakersfan1211, September 23, 2014 - 03:48 PM.

#472 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 27,886 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted September 23, 2014 - 03:46 PM

Good didn't want him and we don't need him. 

• Ventiquattro likes this

#473 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 27,886 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted September 23, 2014 - 03:53 PM

I never quite understood how Beasley would fit with Lakers - a team with an army of forwards

#474 Majesty

Majesty

• Gameday
  • 54,370 posts

Posted September 23, 2014 - 04:14 PM

They could use a perimeter scorer, good for Memphis, and looks like he wound up having to settle for a non-guaranteed deal. 

#475 Air Apparent

Air Apparent

"Never underestimate the heart of a CHAMPION!"

• 8,561 posts

Posted September 23, 2014 - 05:14 PM

memphis went from rudy gay, to tayshaun prince, to beasley...smh lol

bw1wOGf.png

#476 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 15,205 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982

Posted September 23, 2014 - 06:00 PM

Man, nowadays, if the Lakers turn you down, you know your career is on the skids.

• -Wade-, flota and Jody Smokes like this

#477 stillshining

stillshining

Off The Bench

• 2,015 posts
  • Name:Adam
  • Fan Since:1993
  • Fav. Laker:Slava Medvedenko

Posted September 23, 2014 - 10:36 PM

Lol I wanted B-easy but oh well, hope he can provide some firepower off the bench for Memphis

#478 kball

kball

Mocker-in-Chief

• 8,462 posts
  • Fan Since:'71
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, magic, logo AND LEBRON!

Posted September 24, 2014 - 05:40 AM

Lol I wanted B-sleazy but oh well, hope he can provide some firepower off the bench for Memphis

Fixed

Excited for  1. Lebron! (Still love me some Kobe, but damn this guy is amazing) 2. Another big get (Whether in FA or in a trade we need some attractions and closers) 3. Young Guys making big jump (Assuming we have anyone left after more necessary moves either genius ones or in desperation)

READY FOR SEASON!!!

#479 Majesty

Majesty

• Gameday
  • 54,370 posts

Posted September 24, 2014 - 12:43 PM

Lol I wanted B-easy but oh well, hope he can provide some firepower off the bench for Memphis

Considering how bad Tayshaun has been... I'm not sure Beasley won't start, depending on how strong Quincy comes back.  That's not a good thing.   

#480 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 13,210 posts
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted September 24, 2014 - 06:38 PM

Beasley wont be starting unless Prince looks like he needs to retire

Considering how bad Tayshaun has been... I'm not sure Beasley won't start, depending on how strong Quincy comes back.  That's not a good thing.   

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users