114 replies to this topic

#101 PuigNotLate

PuigNotLate

GIRAFFES

• 3,581 posts
  • Name:Mychal
  • Fav. Laker:James Worthy

Posted September 26, 2014 - 12:28 PM

Losing Bill wouldn't break ESPN, but then again, losing any columnist wouldn't break ESPN. They're too big of an entity for that to happen.

After something like this, I would definitely consider jumping ship, though. All he did was vocalize what 90 percent of the population thinks about Roger Goodell. The fact of the matter is that Goodell did lie, he is a twat, and he's bad for the NFL. IDGAF how much money he makes the owners, he makes the NFL look bad every time he opens his mouth. I know there's a lot of female football fans who don't feel respected by those in charge of the league.

I just hate how many writers are in the NFL's pocketbook, pretty much. Peter King would take a bullet before he'd dare say anything bad about good ol' Roger Goodell and his precious shield. It disgusts me.

#102 Chick Stern

Chick Stern

Rookie

• 824 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Big 4: West/Kareem/Magic/Kobe

Posted September 26, 2014 - 12:43 PM

Losing Bill wouldn't break ESPN, but then again, losing any columnist wouldn't break ESPN. They're too big of an entity for that to happen.

After something like this, I would definitely consider jumping ship, though. All he did was vocalize what 90 percent of the population thinks about Roger Goodell. The fact of the matter is that Goodell did lie, he is a twat, and he's bad for the NFL. IDGAF how much money he makes the owners, he makes the NFL look bad every time he opens his mouth. I know there's a lot of female football fans who don't feel respected by those in charge of the league.

I just hate how many writers are in the NFL's pocketbook, pretty much. Peter King would take a bullet before he'd dare say anything bad about good ol' Roger Goodell and his precious shield. It disgusts me.

Fact is, the opinion of you, me, or the female fans matters little.

Goddell has made the owners record profits during his tenure. In their opinion he isn't bad for the NFL.

He'll move on eventually, but not because of this year.

"You can't get much done in life if you only work on the days when you feel good."

--Jerry West

#103 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 14,457 posts
  • Fan Since:1986
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted September 26, 2014 - 12:44 PM

I think if Bill Simmions left ESPN, it could start a chain event, that would hurt ESPN.

Fox Sports... JUMP ON Bill SIMMIONS NOW... If bill simmions left, I would have to think much of the grantland staff would follow...

LET THERE BE NETWORK WARS!!!

#104 Lakersfan1211

Lakersfan1211

Legend

• 20,344 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted May 08, 2015 - 09:36 AM

Bill Simmons and ESPN are parting ways http://ble.ac/1bDjoMP 

Sports Illustrated ‏@SInow

@BillSimmons is leaving @ESPN http://on.si.com/1F3WBpa 

Edited by Lakersfan1211, May 08, 2015 - 09:37 AM.

#105 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• Gameday
  • 54,315 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted May 08, 2015 - 11:37 AM

Well then.

"Bryant had come to rage against the idea that Howard's clownish disposition could overtake the locker room, the Lakers' culture, and had warned Howard that he would never, ever let it happen." 

#106 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 15,014 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted May 13, 2015 - 03:18 PM

Bill Simmons is opinionated, ESPN prefers their broadcasters and affiliates spout their manufactured opinion.

Simmons never would - good for him. 

• Majesty, PuigNotLate, L4K and 1 other like this

#107 L4K

L4K

Off The Bench

• 1,576 posts
  • Name:Jason
  • Fan Since:2005
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted May 13, 2015 - 03:21 PM

Simmons may be a Celtic homer but I've always enjoyed reading his articles and watching his videos. I think this was set in stone once he called out Goddell over the Ray Rice thing.

• Azazello likes this

• 43,794 posts

Posted May 16, 2015 - 10:39 PM

Simmons done with Grantland apparently as well. Here's the email he sent out to his employees:http://deadspin.com/...lved-1704773063

There's speculation that he either ends up at Fox sports or with Turner sports, which would then include TNT, HBO CNN, and TBS.

yo.

#109 Azazello

Azazello

Sixth Man

• 3,717 posts

Posted May 17, 2015 - 06:23 AM

Would love to hear Simmons take on that Clipper collapse. ESPN a bunch of idiots for not signing him back.

#110 PhillyLaker24

PhillyLaker24

Starter

• 5,159 posts
  • Name:Joseph
  • Fan Since:2001
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted May 17, 2015 - 07:46 AM

Surprised to see much love for Simmons. Not because he is a celtic fan and a huge laker hater, just because I never really thought he was that special of a sportscaster. He was no different than anyone else that sat at the desk and talked sports. Get someone new to fill his shoes won't be any different for me really. 

• epicwolf likes this

All I want for Christmas is a Laker girl :D

#111 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Legend

• 10,839 posts
  • Fan Since:Since 1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted May 17, 2015 - 09:40 AM

F em. Damn Celtic fan Laker hater. I don't feel bad for him.. he will get another job somewhere. Espn isn't the end all be all

#112 stillshining

stillshining

Off The Bench

• 2,015 posts
  • Name:Adam
  • Fan Since:1993
  • Fav. Laker:Slava Medvedenko

Posted May 17, 2015 - 10:26 AM

He's not that good of a talking head but his articles are very entertaining. He'll get back on his feet rather quickly tho

• 43,794 posts

Posted May 17, 2015 - 03:20 PM

Surprised to see much love for Simmons. Not because he is a celtic fan and a huge laker hater, just because I never really thought he was that special of a sportscaster. He was no different than anyone else that sat at the desk and talked sports. Get someone new to fill his shoes won't be any different for me really.

I'm surprised you really see it that way. I almost find it hard to believe you followed him that closely for that long to form that opinion.

There's no question he was definitely different in my and most people's minds. He actually had and has balls and isn't afraid not to be politically correct, which more often than not he's not. He was one of the very few if not the only that would fairly critique LeBron for instance from time to time unlike his other fellow co-workers there at ESPN.

yo.

#114 PuigNotLate

PuigNotLate

GIRAFFES

• 3,581 posts
  • Name:Mychal
  • Fav. Laker:James Worthy

Posted May 17, 2015 - 03:29 PM

Simmons is a run of the mill guy on television. He's a good writer, however. His mailbags are constantly entertaining. He's able to write from a fan perspective without all the idiocy and simpleness of "hot take" writers. And Grantland consistently publishes great content on every sport. Their NBA, NHL, MLB, and even their soccer articles are well written and researched. 

He's a good journalist. He's opinionated and says what is on his mind, which is refreshing considering the amount of "yes man" journalists that write about sports today(looking at you, Peter King). 

#115 epicwolf

epicwolf

#1 Clipper hater #1 Raider hater

• 3,760 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Mamba

Posted May 28, 2015 - 06:34 AM

F em. Damn Celtic fan Laker hater. I don't feel bad for him.. he will get another job somewhere. Espn isn't the end all be all

Espn is the end all be all.  Sure there's fox sports but weather you like it or not, ESPN is more a global brand than fox.  Now there's cbs sports and other sports channels and radio shows but espn will always be the leader in world wide sports. Even Dan Patrick admits it when he got "fired" I mean part ways from espn. He said that almost everybody who has anything to do with sports had either once come from the espn tree. Simmons didn't quit espn. Espn just didn't renewed his contract.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bill simmons, espn

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users