Photo

Bill Simmons is leaving ESPN (Pg. 6)

bill simmons espn

• Please log in to reply
114 replies to this topic

#81 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• Gameday
  • 54,315 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted September 25, 2014 - 02:31 AM

Well Simmons dared them...

"Bryant had come to rage against the idea that Howard's clownish disposition could overtake the locker room, the Lakers' culture, and had warned Howard that he would never, ever let it happen." 

#82 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 12,153 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted September 25, 2014 - 04:24 AM

He spoke his mind and the truth.  Im not even sure how you guys spend time watching ESPN outside of the actual games.  Haven't watched that BS in like 2 years.

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#83 PhillyLaker24

PhillyLaker24

Starter

• 5,159 posts
  • Name:Joseph
  • Fan Since:2001
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted September 25, 2014 - 06:10 AM

You call the commissioner a liar after he lies and get punished.

If that's the direction we're headed as a society, I'm out.

Has nothing to do with that. Simmons represents ESPN and went on a rant with a bunch of profanity. No one disagrees what he said of Goodell but the way he said it was the problem. Yeah I know, ESPN sounds like a naggy GF "it's not what you said its how you said it" ahaha

• epicwolf likes this

All I want for Christmas is a Laker girl :D

#84 epicwolf

epicwolf

#1 Clipper hater #1 Raider hater

• 3,760 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Mamba

Posted September 25, 2014 - 06:43 AM

I think it is the way he said it that is why he got suspended. But then again, how can you suspend a guy who rants on his own podcast? Does espn own his podcast also? I thought you get to say pretty much anything on your podcast?It is not like terestrial radio with lots of rules and regulations.  So I am also confused about this suspension. If he said it during a tv show on espn or even on an espn radio then it makes more sense.

#85 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 12,153 posts

Posted September 25, 2014 - 06:50 AM

No man.  No one is going to get 3 weeks of suspension because of some curse words.  If you think thats why he got suspended then there is no point in discussing this further. 

Has nothing to do with that. Simmons represents ESPN and went on a rant with a bunch of profanity. No one disagrees what he said of Goodell but the way he said it was the problem. Yeah I know, ESPN sounds like a naggy GF "it's not what you said its how you said it" ahaha

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#86 PhillyLaker24

PhillyLaker24

Starter

• 5,159 posts
  • Name:Joseph
  • Fan Since:2001
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted September 25, 2014 - 06:50 AM

I think it is the way he said it that is why he got suspended. But then again, how can you suspend a guy who rants on his own podcast? Does espn own his podcast also? I thought you get to say pretty much anything on your podcast?It is not like terestrial radio with lots of rules and regulations.  So I am also confused about this suspension. If he said it during a tv show on espn or even on an espn radio then it makes more sense.

He is still employed by them and thus a representative of them. No different than an NBA player of NFL player saying something in the offseason and then getting punished for it. When your signed to a contract and your in the public spot light your always on company time basically.

No man.  No one is going to get 3 weeks of suspension because of some curse words.  If you think thats why he got suspended then there is no point in discussing this further. 

Hate to break it to you but the court of public opinion is one of the most important things for a big organization because that is one thing that you can't control. However, you can mitigate how you are viewed because of the way you can enforce things on your employees on the way they speak and conduct themselves.

Edited by PhillyLaker24, September 25, 2014 - 06:52 AM.

All I want for Christmas is a Laker girl :D

#87 epicwolf

epicwolf

#1 Clipper hater #1 Raider hater

• 3,760 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Mamba

Posted September 25, 2014 - 07:20 AM

Phillylaker is right.  If you listen to SVP and Rasillo right after the Roger Goodell presser SVP was bashing Roger like crazy however he didn't curse and the way he bash Roger was considered ok. In fact, there are many radio host bashed Roger for being a lier on their radio station but never get suspended.  It is the way Simmons said it that causes his suspension.  You don't even have to use curse words to get suspended. I actually believe the NFL contacted espn and kind of forced their hand to suspend Simmons but that is just a consparacy theorist in me talking.

#88 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 12,153 posts

Posted September 25, 2014 - 09:15 AM

Being suspended for 3 weeks for cursing is stupid.  How many times have we seen NBA players curse in interviews?  The problem here is that he slammed the commissioner to the point of saying he was a liar.  He only said what most of us already felt.  I think he cleared himself by saying IF he's lying so he doesn't get sued.  It just shows you how much of a stronghold the NFL has on ESPN.  

This had nothing to do with public opinion because most of the general public championed his opinion and stance.  This had to with the business relationship of ESPN with a billion dollar sports league. 

• Azazello likes this

#89 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 15,054 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted September 25, 2014 - 11:50 AM

I'm happy to see the lunacy of the NFL and the entire football culture finally getting exposed for what it is.

#90 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,697 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999

Posted September 25, 2014 - 07:42 PM

You dare your employer to suspend you...

and you get suspended?

Genius. I'm gonna walk up to my boss tomorrow and do the same.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#91 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• Gameday
  • 54,315 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted September 25, 2014 - 07:50 PM

You dare your employer to suspend you...

and you get suspended?

Genius. I'm gonna walk up to my boss tomorrow and do the same.

Does that mean you'll be able to post here more often? :D 

"Bryant had come to rage against the idea that Howard's clownish disposition could overtake the locker room, the Lakers' culture, and had warned Howard that he would never, ever let it happen." 

#92 Azazello

Azazello

Sixth Man

• 3,717 posts

Posted September 25, 2014 - 10:07 PM

When did journalistic standards become a point of emphasis for ESPN? 

• Majesty likes this

#93 UKUGA

UKUGA

Superstar

• 7,458 posts
  • Name:UKUGA
  • Fan Since:1981
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted September 26, 2014 - 06:39 AM

ESPN ombudsman article is interesting.  Usually, I find this stuff to be tripe, and frankly, this one is, too.  But what I found interesting about it was the jabs he takes at Simmons' persona. 

http://espn.go.com/b...and-suspensions

Simmons is, in my opinion, ESPN’s franchise player, but by no stretch a leading journalist. On his 45th birthday today, my gift to him was recounting my favorite quote from the late basketball coach Butch van Breda Kolff: “Everyone’s strength is their weakness.” He said he liked it.

In Simmons’ case it has to do with his driving energy and creativity, which can also morph into tunnel vision and self-absorption. What makes him always think something’s right just because he thinks it is? Or that his sometimes loopy declarations are easy to interpret? Another provocative transcription from that podcast (since pulled by ESPN):

“I really hope somebody calls me or emails me and says I'm in trouble for anything I say about Roger Goodell,” Simmons said. “Because if one person says that to me, I'm going public. You leave me alone. The commissioner's a liar and I get to talk about that on my podcast. Thank you. … Please, call me and say I'm in trouble. I dare you.”

It sounded a little like Gary Hart’s nutty 1987 dare to the media to catch him in the act of adultery. That challenge eventually denied Hart a presidential bid. In Simmons’ case, the “dare” was widely interpreted as a challenge to ESPN President John Skipper, who just happens to be Simmons’ most important booster at the company. When asked, Simmons refused to comment on whether it was directed at Skipper.

But Skipper certainly thought it was, and that insubordination was one of the main two reasons for the severity of the suspension. Particularly on podcasts, said Skipper, Simmons has a tendency to slip back into his “bad boy, let’s-go-to-Vegas” persona. Simmons, Skipper believes, is transitioning into an important influence and mentor at Grantland, and needs to leave his well-worn punkishness behind.

Don't feed the trolls. 

#94 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Legend

• 10,848 posts
  • Fan Since:Since 1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted September 26, 2014 - 09:12 AM

You can't bite the hand that feeds you.

I honestly like what he said and I'm happy that he did. he could've stopped at the I dare comment but I agree with his stance on the topic.

Still hate his Laker hating.

#95 RobBlake

RobBlake

Starter

• 4,431 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, Fisher, Magic

Posted September 26, 2014 - 09:47 AM

When did journalistic standards become a point of emphasis for ESPN? 

E :60 shows how amazing they can cover sports.... sportscenter  shows how low they can go *TMZ* level, to appeal to the masses. Actually speaks more badly towards the audience... a business model is always to maximize profits.... and slurping up figures like James, Manziel.. .sells

ap1.png

#96 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 14,457 posts
  • Fan Since:1986

Posted September 26, 2014 - 11:16 AM

Bill simmions is the BEST thing on ESPN...

Fox Sports Network...

If I were you im making a call to BS and offering him a big package.

BS created the grantland network on espn, you don't think a big percentage of those guys would jump ship with Bill?

Offer Bill everything, a TV show, an entire section like he has on ESPN, offer bill a 1 hour weekly radio show on Sirus radio (no censors)

Let him do his podcasts uncensored.

Its days like this when I wish the legenday Hunter S Thompson was still alive, and still writing for ESPN... you think the good doctor would go for this nonsense!

I hope this is the thing that BREAKS ESPN...

Fox Sports, make you play right now!

Get BS, and take down ESPN...

I cant believe ESPN suspended their TOP GUY, for that... I didn't think it was anything crazy...

I can just see Jalen Rose sitting there and saying, "don't get fired Bill"

The BS report is the best thing on ESPN... His mailbags are great, his colums are great. So what if he is a laker hater, not a big deal to me, I love hearing the other side of the coin.  But, you suck ESPN...

#97 RobBlake

RobBlake

Starter

• 4,431 posts

Posted September 26, 2014 - 11:24 AM

BS would not in any shape or form break espn

ap1.png

#98 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 14,457 posts

Posted September 26, 2014 - 11:35 AM

most people are tired of ESPN, don't like it...

and are just waiting for a viable choice...

You think people are going to ESPN to look for a new Jemele Hill article?

No, they go because they want to hear Bill Simmions...

#99 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 14,457 posts

Posted September 26, 2014 - 11:46 AM

espn has pulled the bill simmions podcast with the offending information...

#100 RobBlake

RobBlake

Starter

• 4,431 posts

Posted September 26, 2014 - 11:59 AM

most people are tired of ESPN, don't like it...

and are just waiting for a viable choice...

You think people are going to ESPN to look for a new Jemele Hill article?

No, they go because they want to hear Bill Simmions...

they'll just replace him

Edited by RobBlake, September 26, 2014 - 01:26 PM.

ap1.png

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bill simmons, espn

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users