#61 Clark Wayne

Clark Wayne

Baller

• 1,904 posts
  • Name:Dilan
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted June 18, 2014 - 01:12 PM

Jordan was simply just better. The 6 rings and 6 Finals MVPs only adds to that. 

#62 Clark Wayne

Clark Wayne

Baller

• 1,904 posts

Posted June 18, 2014 - 01:16 PM

More of MJ reign was during watered down part of NBA = he had Stern & refs on his side = there was no internet to expose MJ for who he really was during his reign.

Kobe is playing vs better individual talents who ahtleticism mirrors Kobe & some surpasses Kobe; after Colorado Stern started creating reasons not to give Kobe MVP & refs began cheating him on regular = internet age built feel good storylines in order to shatter those storylines ruin guys in public light

no1 coming up will ever go 6 for 6 in finals with mvps to boot = but thats cuz the game & its players will not allow that today so if your a hooper & you understand the gm judge them talent for talent = theres nothing in MJ arsenal that Kobe cant & hasnt already done 1000sX over

The moment you start stating conspiracies as to why Kobe didn't win MVPs is the moment you lose the argument. 

Players in past decades could go toe to toe with players of this decade. There's nothing in Kobe's arsenal that he didn't steal from someone else. 

#63 Naismith

Naismith

Rookie

• 619 posts
  • Fan Since:1971
  • Fav. Laker:Cap

Posted June 18, 2014 - 01:30 PM

you're right 

lol. 

1.34% difference in true shooting percentages lol.

Yeah it's the playoffs and Finals where Jordan blows Kobe's doors off. But I'm sure that doesn't mean anything.

Edited by Naismith, June 18, 2014 - 01:32 PM.

#64 gque24

gque24

Starter

• 4,683 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:KOBE

Posted June 18, 2014 - 01:31 PM

u say conspiracy I say inconvient truth for NBA.

The moment you start stating conspiracies as to why Kobe didn't win MVPs is the moment you lose the argument. 

Players in past decades could go toe to toe with players of this decade. There's nothing in Kobe's arsenal that he didn't steal from someone else. 

Never Wrong Always Right Like Freeway Exits!!

#65 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• Gameday
  • 54,315 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted June 18, 2014 - 01:32 PM

Just as there's nothing in Jordan's arsenal he didn't steal from Dr J, Elgin Baylor and Jerry West. 

The greats all have their inspirations. 

"Bryant had come to rage against the idea that Howard's clownish disposition could overtake the locker room, the Lakers' culture, and had warned Howard that he would never, ever let it happen." 

#66 kidpolean

kidpolean

Superstar

• 8,201 posts
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:KB24 or 8

Posted June 18, 2014 - 01:53 PM

So Jordan's incredible finals record and superior stats are just things that don't matter. :laughing:

how about you actually read the post before you comment. I clearly said that besides awards and accomplishments, as in only judging by skill that it is really close. Jordan has by far the greater legacy but that is not what we are discussing. The question is who is the better player, not who won the most rings and awards. Skill wise they are close.

#67 KSOR24

KSOR24

Off The Bench

• 1,905 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted June 18, 2014 - 02:14 PM

So Jordan's incredible finals record and superior stats are just things that don't matter. :laughing:how about you actually read the post before you comment. I clearly said that besides awards and accomplishments, as in only judging by skill that it is really close. Jordan has by far the greater legacy but that is not what we are discussing. The question is who is the better player, not who won the most rings and awards. Skill wise they are close.

There is no objective way to argue skill.

#68 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 14,457 posts
  • Fan Since:1986
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted June 18, 2014 - 02:19 PM

81 points

62 points in 3 quarters and outscoring the mavs thru 3 quarters 62-61

Ita hard to distinguish which game was more impressive

#69 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 14,457 posts
  • Fan Since:1986

Posted June 18, 2014 - 02:20 PM

I still watch that 81 point game and am brought to tears by the greatness

#70 Naismith

Naismith

Rookie

• 619 posts

Posted June 18, 2014 - 02:23 PM

Yes there is. It is measured in awards and Accomplishments.  :smh:

Stats are kept for a reason not just to make us feel good about our opinions.

Edited by Naismith, June 18, 2014 - 02:24 PM.

#71 Ven

Ven

Chemist

• 3,271 posts
  • Fan Since:1994-5
  • Fav. Laker:Jack

Posted June 18, 2014 - 02:26 PM

Is it too late in this thread to agree Jordan was better than Kobe; defensively, post game, decision making, that fadeaway, and some other areas. Kobe obviously has the better perimeter game, I'd argue footwork and while I never saw young athletic freak Jordan I'd say Kobe's athleticism was on par regardless. Having Kobe be next to Jordan is an amazing compliment and speak to his legacy in its own right.

This franchise has the best PG of all time, the best centers of all time, and the second and third best SG's of all time, let it go people.

#72 kidpolean

kidpolean

Superstar

• 8,201 posts

Posted June 18, 2014 - 02:39 PM

No No No

#73 Jody Smokes

Jody Smokes

Legend

• 12,157 posts
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted June 18, 2014 - 02:39 PM

Skill no, results yes.  Sabonis was 10x more skilled than Shaq in the post but he wasn't more effective and didn't produce the same results. 

"Blake and Parker are good at canceling each other out till our bench point guard comes in"  - Majesty aka Bird Ish (12/4/13)

#74 DaveGrumbles

DaveGrumbles

Rookie

• 232 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Mamba, Big Game James

Posted June 18, 2014 - 02:40 PM

So Horry >Jordan>Kobe?

You don't judge individual skill by team awards & team accomplishments. The circumstances and competition are always different. And MVPs are a popularity contest for writers that people use as a statement of fact when it's just another statement of opinion.

Fans will argue all day who is better Kobe, Lebron, Jordan, Wilt, Magic, etc...and rarely will someone be swayed from their OPINION. That's all it is.

My OPINION is the difference in skillset and talent is negligible. Maybe Kobe is a better pure shooter and maybe Jordan was a better athlete...but its hardly noticable between the two. The real difference is that Jordan played the game with restraint and Kobe is a gunner at heart. You can't change that and that's why Jordan is a better player. He rarely, if ever, lost control of his game. Jordan reached the peak of his talent and Kobe never did. If Kobe had ever learned some self control on his shot selection, he may have been the greatest but its the one thing he could never master.

#75 kidpolean

kidpolean

Superstar

• 8,201 posts

Posted June 18, 2014 - 02:41 PM

you can watch both an see that they are really close. Kobe's better on O, Jordan better on D...take ur pick

#76 KSOR24

KSOR24

Off The Bench

• 1,905 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted June 18, 2014 - 02:54 PM

There is no objective way to argue skill.you can watch both an see that they are really close. Kobe's better on O, Jordan better on D...take ur pick

Not everyone sees things the way you do lol. Otherwise nobody would have differing opinions.

#77 kidpolean

kidpolean

Superstar

• 8,201 posts

Posted June 18, 2014 - 03:01 PM

Not everyone sees things the way you do lol. Otherwise nobody would have differing opinions.

yea I know that....well than what the hell are we comparing? Legacy? That's not even a discussion, Jordan easily. Stats can be more misleading than the eye test....awards depends on more than just a players ability such as popularity, and Rings are won by teams not players...so what are we comparing?

Edited by kidpolean, June 18, 2014 - 03:01 PM.

#78 Naismith

Naismith

Rookie

• 619 posts

Posted June 18, 2014 - 03:01 PM

I know I already replied but I thought of one very emphatic way to talk about skill and prove a point all at the same time:

Clutch Shooting %

This pretty much sums it all up and buries the argument because the game results and numbers don't lie. And Grumbles wherever you are watch the Detroit/ Bulls clip so you can learn a little bit about why Jordan was such a bad ass.

Don't skimp on the CAVS/BULLS clip either. 

http://bleacherrepor...el-jordans-best

#79 Clark Wayne

Clark Wayne

Baller

• 1,904 posts

Posted June 18, 2014 - 03:04 PM

Is it too late in this thread to agree Jordan was better than Kobe; defensively, post game, decision making, that fadeaway, and some other areas. Kobe obviously has the better perimeter game, I'd argue footwork and while I never saw young athletic freak Jordan I'd say Kobe's athleticism was on par regardless. Having Kobe be next to Jordan is an amazing compliment and speak to his legacy in its own right.

This franchise has the best PG of all time, the best centers of all time, and the second and third best SG's of all time, let it go people.

MJ was a far better athlete than Kobe. 

#80 lalala03

lalala03

Rookie

• 14 posts
  • Fan Since:1983

Posted June 18, 2014 - 03:10 PM

My OPINION is the difference in skillset and talent is negligible. Maybe Kobe is a better pure shooter and maybe Jordan was a better athlete...but its hardly noticable between the two. The real difference is that Jordan played the game with restraint and Kobe is a gunner at heart. You can't change that and that's why Jordan is a better player. He rarely, if ever, lost control of his game. Jordan reached the peak of his talent and Kobe never did. If Kobe had ever learned some self control on his shot selection, he may have been the greatest but its the one thing he could never master.

^^^

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: kobe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users