Photo

Why is Spoelstra considered a top coach?

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 tsidebotham

tsidebotham

Rookie

• 113 posts
  • Name:Travis
  • Fan Since:birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted June 16, 2014 - 10:27 AM

Although the spurs had a better team game, I don't understand how people say that they had a better team... they had a better coach, who put his players in position to succeed as a team. Spoelstra had the best player, and his strategy consisted of "my best player will win the series." The heat have a deep team. going into this series all we heard about was how deep this version of the Heat were. they have players who would NO DOUBT start on other teams, yet couldn't get on the floor until the end of blow out games.
the only adjustment the heat made in the entire series was the pick and roll on the second game... the Spurs adjusted to how they were playing and dominated them.

I know it's one of those things that great coaches tend to have great players. but I just don't see what this guy has done that makes anyone think he is elite. he is one of the longest tenured coaches in the league for the simple fact that he has Lebron on his team and on most days, that is enough.

#2 Chick Stern

Chick Stern

Rookie

• 824 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Big 4: West/Kareem/Magic/Kobe

Posted June 16, 2014 - 10:36 AM

the same reasons Mike Brown was voted coach of the year.

'What's an adjustment?'

--Erik Spoelstra

• SportyIntellectual likes this

"You can't get much done in life if you only work on the days when you feel good."

--Jerry West

#3 JGuez

JGuez

All-Star

• 6,007 posts

Posted June 16, 2014 - 10:39 AM

Yep. Give me LeBron, I'd look like a great coach too. 

• FranklinPeanuts and SportyIntellectual like this

#4 ツ  

ツ  

All-Star

• 6,177 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted June 16, 2014 - 11:00 AM

Yep. Give me LeBron, I'd look like a great coach too. 

but mikey D had dwight, kobe, nash, gasol?

9QBrl.gif

#5 Ven

Ven

Chemist

• 3,271 posts
  • Fan Since:1994-5
  • Fav. Laker:Jack

Posted June 16, 2014 - 11:05 AM

'What's an adjustment?'

--Erik Spoelstra

He's always been a solid coach, was playoff bound with just Wade and whatever else the Heat had back then. I believe he is a particularly good at defensive schemes (although not sure what kind of assistants he employs). In the end I believe what has always been criticized are his rotations and adjustments. Which then again they don't have much depth so probably a factor.

#6 MrRJ

MrRJ

Rookie

• 1,093 posts
  • Name:Raymond Perez
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted June 16, 2014 - 11:38 AM

He got the job done. Had he not we'd blame him. I mean you have to give credit where credit is due. People say the same thing about Phil Jackson all the time.

Takes more than great players to have a great defense. You need a good system in place. The heat have always been solid on defense. That alone impresses me.

Edited by MrRJ, June 16, 2014 - 11:39 AM.

#7 Naismith

Naismith

Rookie

• 619 posts
  • Fan Since:1971
  • Fav. Laker:Cap

Posted June 16, 2014 - 12:35 PM

This is a nonsense thread. Spoelstra is a fine coach he's well versed in drawing up plays analyzing and creating solid defensive schemes. The issue with not winning the finals against the Spurs was depth. The bench of Miami just isn't very good and Spo ran out of players. It's a tall order to ask a 6 man rotation to win a finals with the big three playing huge minutes especially when the starting point is not performing on either side of the ball.

The passing game of the Spurs was just so on point that it ran the Heat ragged. Kawhi's physical and unrelenting defense that forced Lebron to work hard for every shot paid dividends. The Heat thought going after Parker and limiting pick and roll and his dribble penetration was the key, because it is the Spurs bread and butter. Unfortunately for the Heat players Pop can run several effective offensive sets and he did.

The Heat lacked interior size and Diaw, Duncan, and Splitter dominated offensive boards.

#8 epicwolf

epicwolf

#1 Clipper hater #1 Raider hater

• 3,760 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Mamba

Posted June 16, 2014 - 01:06 PM

The heat have a deep team. going into this series all we heard about was how deep this version of the Heat were. they have players who would NO DOUBT start on other teams,

Where did you hear this?  Most of the nba analyst picked the SPurs to win. Granted not many picked them to destroy the heat like they did but most of them picked the Spurs to win.  Some of them even said the Heat has no bench.   Apparently they are wrong about that because the Heat has no starting five eather.   The reason why people tend to pick the Heat as favorites or think they might win is because of Lebron thats it.  I never heard any radio station except my in Miami saying the heat is a deep team.  In fact, I heard more people said the Spurs have a deeper team than the Heat.   Its just the "big three" for the heat is no where to be found and only a "big one" showed up. 

#9 Chick Stern

Chick Stern

Rookie

• 824 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Big 4: West/Kareem/Magic/Kobe

Posted June 16, 2014 - 01:27 PM

Isn't part of the coach's job to develop players? Wade was gone most of the season, he should have been able to do something.

"You can't get much done in life if you only work on the days when you feel good."

--Jerry West

#10 epicwolf

epicwolf

• 3,760 posts

Posted June 16, 2014 - 01:44 PM

Isn't part of the coach's job to develop players? Wade was gone most of the season, he should have been able to do something.

Not in the NBA.  Developing players is mostly in college.  NBA is about managing players and figure out how they can play together. 

#11 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• Gameday
  • 54,315 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted June 16, 2014 - 01:52 PM

Because he is.  Spo's teams were top 5 defensively even before the big three.  He always had it as a coach he just didn't have the team to do it with.   Getting LeBron, Bosh, and Wade he got to keep his defensive philosophies while having 3 guys who were able to handle the offense on their own.  It was the perfect situation for a coach like him.    

Spo IS a top coach.  

"Bryant had come to rage against the idea that Howard's clownish disposition could overtake the locker room, the Lakers' culture, and had warned Howard that he would never, ever let it happen." 

#12 epicwolf

epicwolf

• 3,760 posts

Posted June 16, 2014 - 01:56 PM

Not every coach can win with superstars on his team. If a coach doesn't know how to manage superstars then its pointless. I can think of one coach that refused to have superstars on his team because he care so much about his "system".    Yes, MDA.

#13 Lightsoutwilly

Lightsoutwilly

Off The Bench

• 2,200 posts
  • Name:William
  • Fan Since:1994

Posted June 16, 2014 - 02:15 PM

Because he has 2 championship rings to back it up. Not sure what youre looking for a coach but he is a solid coach who ran into a great system, great team & a great coach.
  • fido likes this

#14 BlueJab23

BlueJab23

Rookie

• 491 posts
  • Fan Since:Not a Fan
  • Fav. Laker:Not a Fan

Posted June 16, 2014 - 03:34 PM

I don't think so is a great coach. He is a good defensive coach but that's about it. He couldn't make any adjustment to even slow down spurs. Spo is at best a poor man thibs.

#15 steven v

steven v

Off The Bench

• 1,906 posts
  • Name:steven
  • Fan Since:1980
  • Fav. Laker:The L.A. LAKERS

Posted June 16, 2014 - 04:09 PM

Same reason why Mike Brown won coach of the year a few years back. 

The Lakers FO knows more than you. Sorry.

#16 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 15,061 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted June 16, 2014 - 04:54 PM

He skillfully managed a team full of enormous egos and role players who haven't accomplished squat, while convincing them to all play defense first and managed to bring home 3 rings alongside 4 straight trips to the Finals.  All of that under an incredible amount of pressure and duress from the media, fans and the entire sports world.

BlueJab:  No team this season could make an adjustment to slow down the Spurs.  They were a machine from day one.

Is this really a serious question?

#17 Air Apparent

Air Apparent

"Never underestimate the heart of a CHAMPION!"

• 8,561 posts

Posted June 16, 2014 - 05:17 PM

he has out-coached a lot of great coaches in tough close games, and you can't just give all the credit to lebron and big 3 because that's stupid. they themselves give so much credit to spo to drawing up key plays and making great adjustments in game

bw1wOGf.png

#18 SportyIntellectual

SportyIntellectual

Rookie

• 161 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth

Posted June 16, 2014 - 08:37 PM

Who among you would've lost the NBA championship with the 2012 Heat roster vs the field?  

#19 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,698 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999

Posted June 16, 2014 - 08:48 PM

Basketball fans always go to the extreme lol: Success is either obtained by the coaching OR the players but NEVER both.

Both dynamics are needed.

Edited by Windu, June 16, 2014 - 08:48 PM.

• Naismith likes this

Pau Gasol is GONE

#20 SportyIntellectual

SportyIntellectual

Rookie

• 161 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth

Posted June 16, 2014 - 08:55 PM

For which other NBA coaches were Patty Mills and Boris Diaw stars (read: 'key contributors')?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users