Destiny

• Please log in to reply
125 replies to this topic

#1 JGuez

JGuez

All-Star

• 5,999 posts

Posted June 12, 2014 - 08:07 AM

Maybe I'm blind but is there seriously no topic for this game? Close this thread if I'm mistaken but I didn't find anything in the search.

Release Date: September 9, 2014

Summary (From IGN):

From the creators of Halo and the publisher of Call of Duty comes Destiny. With an unprecedented variety of FPS gameplay, Destiny promises to deliver an incredible story set within a newly-imagined, always-connected universe filled with action and adventure.

Everything changed with the arrival of the Traveler. It sparked a Golden Age when our civilization spanned the solar system ... but it didn't last. Something hit us, knocked us down. The survivors built a city beneath the Traveler, and have begun to explore our old worlds, only to find them filled with deadly foes. In Destiny, you are a Guardian of the last safe city on Earth, able to wield incredible power. Defend the City. Defeat our enemies. Reclaim all that we have lost.

earth-deltanew11402057687jpg-2ea0f2.jpg

moon-screenshot31402057688jpg-6e461a.jpg

destiny-screenshot-6jpg-e97cc5.jpg

Video Walk Through of Alpha:

I just started the Alpha this morning. Only got to play 15 minutes of it but I liked what I played. Very excited for this one.

#2 epicwolf

epicwolf

#1 Clipper hater #1 Raider hater

• 3,760 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Mamba

Posted June 12, 2014 - 09:54 AM

You have to change your thread and say "for ps4 only" bro. 

The release date is not for every platform.  Exclusive only on ps4 first.

#3 JGuez

JGuez

All-Star

• 5,999 posts

Posted June 12, 2014 - 10:44 AM

You have to change your thread and say "for ps4 only" bro. 

The release date is not for every platform.  Exclusive only on ps4 first.

Not sure where you read that but I'm under the impression that Destiny is releasing on September 9th for both next gen consoles. I think you're confusing it with the Beta.

#4 vong

vong

Sixth Man

• 3,211 posts
  • Fav. Laker:.

Posted June 12, 2014 - 03:34 PM

I got this and hardline beta. Going to try this out first for about thirty minutes then head out to watch the finals.

tumblr_mqsd9xZcf51qig963o1_500.gif

428469.png

#5 ace™

ace™

Most Interesting

• 10,772 posts
  • Name:Jorge Negrete
  • Fan Since:1997
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted June 12, 2014 - 05:20 PM

Only interested in this game coming out because I want DAT glacier white PS4.

Only way to get it is with the Destiny bundle.

From what I've seen, this game doesn't interest me. Too much sci fi for my liking.

#6 PuigNotLate

PuigNotLate

GIRAFFES

• 3,581 posts
  • Name:Mychal
  • Fav. Laker:James Worthy

Posted June 12, 2014 - 08:37 PM

I got into the alpha

Didn't redeem the code yet. Might do it tonight.

#7 Marc Maron

Marc Maron

either/or

• 3,414 posts
  • Name:Spooky

Posted June 12, 2014 - 09:47 PM

Got an invite to the alpha.. [expletive] yea.

hR3rI.png

#8 JGuez

JGuez

All-Star

• 5,999 posts

Posted June 12, 2014 - 10:27 PM

Put a couple hours in today. It's really awesome and surprisingly pretty polished for an alpha. Missions get a bit repetitive but so do most MMO style games.

#9 vong

vong

Sixth Man

• 3,211 posts
  • Fav. Laker:.

Posted June 15, 2014 - 08:51 AM

This game is so fun. I had more fun playing this Alpha version than BF4.. Hopefully they'll add more in the beta coming out in July!

14428674625_6ca5b0c7d9_o.jpg

tumblr_mocrgkkG6r1svqe9ao1_500.gif

428469.png

#10 PhillyLaker24

PhillyLaker24

Starter

• 5,159 posts
  • Name:Joseph
  • Fan Since:2001
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted June 15, 2014 - 02:03 PM

So far sounds like you guys like this game. Good to hear because I am looking forward to this game.

• vong likes this

All I want for Christmas is a Laker girl :D

#11 JGuez

JGuez

All-Star

• 5,999 posts

Posted June 15, 2014 - 10:35 PM

I think the Alpha ended tonight, but the Beta is July 17th.

I got to level 8 in the Alpha which is the highest you can go and I only did it one time.  Pretty much I really enjoyed what I played of this game but 1 thing I do fear is the repetitiveness. It's hard to complain about an Alpha because that's exactly what it is....an Alpha, but I did not like how similar all of the missions I had to do were. All of the missions were essentially the same except killing this alien I was killing this kind of alien or instead of gathering this kind of matter I was gathering this kind of matter.

I guess you could say that's how all videogames really are but this just felt way more apparent than normal. I did a mission with 2 people (that I didn't know) and we had to fight this main "boss"/monster and it took us 20 minutes to do so with all 3 of us shooting at it nonstop. That's pretty absurd to just be shooting at something for 20 minutes and nothing around you is changing. You're dodging its shots at you and shooting again. Then once that was done there was another boss with the same exact concept, just a different look and location.

So again, I don't want to be too critical because it's just an Alpha but that does worry me. Otherwise I'm sure what I played is just a fraction of the game and I don't doubt that there's going to be so much more to it that all of this really isn't a big deal.

Excited for July 17th now. Damn....think I'm going to Vegas that weekend haha.

#12 PhillyLaker24

PhillyLaker24

Starter

• 5,159 posts

Posted June 16, 2014 - 03:26 PM

^^^ You do realize this game is gonna have mmo roots and mmo's have a very repetitive style. The way these games keep their fun is by playing with friends. See to you that boss fight got boring but playing with two random people, who I am betting didn't really communicate or talk to you does sound boring. But if you play that same boss with two friends I am sure that 20 mins doesn't even feel long since your gonna be much more engaged in the fight due to talking, communication, and of course just playing with your buddies.

However, your concerns are a good point. If this game really doesn't go beyond the prototypical MMO quest and style I would be disappointed.

#13 JGuez

JGuez

All-Star

• 5,999 posts

Posted June 16, 2014 - 04:16 PM

^^^ You do realize this game is gonna have mmo roots and mmo's have a very repetitive style. The way these games keep their fun is by playing with friends. See to you that boss fight got boring but playing with two random people, who I am betting didn't really communicate or talk to you does sound boring. But if you play that same boss with two friends I am sure that 20 mins doesn't even feel long since your gonna be much more engaged in the fight due to talking, communication, and of course just playing with your buddies.

However, your concerns are a good point. If this game really doesn't go beyond the prototypical MMO quest and style I would be disappointed.

Yeah of course I understand that. I'm not a big MMO guy but I have dabbled in WoW (was a free trial) before and SWTOR. Those games didn't have me fight a giant monster for literally 20 minutes doing the same exact thing. Then immediately after that fight I had to fight another monster for 20 minutes again. I spent many hours playing SWTOR and Diablo 3 (which isn't an MMO but it's similar) and I never really got bored with those.

I get MMOs are repetitive but from my experience I had never had to do something like that before. Again, I know it's just an Alpha though and that could have easily just been something they threw in there while they worked on more tasks.

It probably would have helped to be playing with friends but really I'd imagine all we'd be saying "Well this is a boring mission.". 

#14 JGuez

JGuez

All-Star

• 5,999 posts

Posted July 17, 2014 - 09:10 AM

Beta starts today. Can't wait to get home....

#15 JGuez

JGuez

All-Star

• 5,999 posts

Posted July 18, 2014 - 07:52 AM

Didn't get to log in too many hours last night but the game is incredibly polished now. 

If anyone is playing add me, my name is JGuez.

#16 PhillyLaker24

PhillyLaker24

Starter

• 5,159 posts

Posted July 19, 2014 - 05:43 PM

^^^ Yea I have been playing and I really like the game. The online PvP is legit like Halo, which isn't a bad thing. Plays well but the vehicles seem to be a little overpowered IMO, but maybe that is because I don't run around with a rocket launcher to get rid of them. Even with that you can deal with the vehicles though with well placed shots and playing smart.

The single player is also pretty fun, but it looks like it won't be nearly as big or as expansive as I hoped it would. From the beta I get the vibe that single player will be only about a 10 hour experience if that, which is a real shame considering how much you really could do with this game, then again I could be wrong and hope that I am. Just running around and exploring with my friends was a lot of fun and something I have been waiting to come to a console in years.

#17 L4K

L4K

Off The Bench

• 1,576 posts
  • Name:Jason
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted July 19, 2014 - 05:46 PM

It's more than a bit annoying they aren't releasing this for PC. They can't even use the excuse that they have to mod it to port it over, the Xbox One and PS4 use the exact same architecture as PCs. I still don't understand why game companies are so against releasing their titles on PC. You can say it's piracy but that's an absolute cop-out excuse, look at how popular Steam and other similar services are and the games released on there make a killing.

#18 PhillyLaker24

PhillyLaker24

Starter

• 5,159 posts

Posted July 19, 2014 - 05:53 PM

It's more than a bit annoying they aren't releasing this for PC. They can't even use the excuse that they have to mod it to port it over, the Xbox One and PS4 use the exact same architecture as PCs. I still don't understand why game companies are so against releasing their titles on PC. You can say it's piracy but that's an absolute cop-out excuse, look at how popular Steam and other similar services are and the games released on there make a killing.

It will come to PC bro don't worry. This game cost a lot to make and the big guaranteed bucks are in the console market especially considering the lack of games for consoles at this point. Same thing happened with GTA with that now coming to PC. These are the same guys that made Halo and if you remember that didn't come out on PC until later either. Based on how big this game is shaping up to be no doubt in my mind it will be on PC sooner or later.

Edited by PhillyLaker24, July 19, 2014 - 05:54 PM.

#19 JGuez

JGuez

All-Star

• 5,999 posts

Posted July 20, 2014 - 07:21 PM

^^^ Yea I have been playing and I really like the game. The online PvP is legit like Halo, which isn't a bad thing. Plays well but the vehicles seem to be a little overpowered IMO, but maybe that is because I don't run around with a rocket launcher to get rid of them. Even with that you can deal with the vehicles though with well placed shots and playing smart.

The single player is also pretty fun, but it looks like it won't be nearly as big or as expansive as I hoped it would. From the beta I get the vibe that single player will be only about a 10 hour experience if that, which is a real shame considering how much you really could do with this game, then again I could be wrong and hope that I am. Just running around and exploring with my friends was a lot of fun and something I have been waiting to come to a console in years.

100% agree. Don't even get me started on how overpowered the vehicles are haha.

I agree that the single player is fun but disappointing that it's not as big as it could be. I'm pretty sure I heard that the top level will be 20 which sounds incredibly low.

This game's bread and butter will be the multiplayer just like the Halo series, IMO. I think the concept of earnings your guns, armor, upgrades , etc through the single player to use in the multiplayer is something consoles have been missing. I know MMOs on PC's have done this for some time but I can't really think of any console game where playing the single player actually was a huge part of doing things in mutliplayer.

Need to clock some more hours this week.

Also on the PC comment....I'd think it would eventually come to PC. Perhaps they feel the game is just not big enough for PC gamers to buy into? Not sure.

#20 L4K

L4K

Off The Bench

• 1,576 posts
  • Name:Jason
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted July 20, 2014 - 07:43 PM

It will come to PC bro don't worry. This game cost a lot to make and the big guaranteed bucks are in the console market especially considering the lack of games for consoles at this point. Same thing happened with GTA with that now coming to PC. These are the same guys that made Halo and if you remember that didn't come out on PC until later either. Based on how big this game is shaping up to be no doubt in my mind it will be on PC sooner or later.

I wouldn't be shocked if it eventually came to PC, it's just annoying they don't release it at the same time as the console version. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users