Photo

How different would the Lakers be if Dwight stayed?

• Please log in to reply
125 replies to this topic

#41 MambaMentality

MambaMentality

Rookie

• 965 posts
  • Fan Since:1994
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted May 27, 2014 - 05:19 PM

Couldn't agree more. Great post man.

Dwight who?

I'll give a legit response, just for the hell of it.

Which is: It's not even worth thinking about. The time spent writing and reading this post and thread will be wasted. That whole 'STAY' campaign was just embarassing (from the viewpoint of a Los Angeles native sports fan interacting with other team fandoms in a non-sympathetic work environment, anyways). Dwight was overrated when we signed him, and he was overrated when he left.

Did every fan with a heart nurse some tentative hope that Nash+Howard would be some killer combo? Of course. But I doubt you could find many serious Laker fans who would want Dwight on our team, even if we knew he'd be playing for us, like he is for the Rockets (which isn't that great. His rebound avg is among the most inflated in the league, when you compare contested vs uncontested rebounds...remember that Bynum-esque pissy look he'd get whenever Steve Blake jumped up and snatched the easy ones?).

Dwight's time in LA is a farcial blip that we're lucky lasted only one season. I'm glad both him and Bynum are gone. And this is coming from a fan that had a Shaq jersey in the 90's. I'd love to see another dominant big man with a personality. But Bynum and Howard are just the pits. One is an idiot-savant (Bynum and his beautiful f/cking mind...go be an engineer or whatever your dream was, you sullen douchebag, after getting 3 East Coast fanbases in 18 months to hate you for spoiling their locker room chemistry) and the other desperately obnoxious in the manner of a little kid whose parents are separated and is badly attention starved. 

The only 'What If' worth dwelling on with any kind of pathos is the CP3 deal. In ten or twenty years, people will still be debating that historic screwjob. In 2044, when we're reading Old Jimmy's demented Sterling-esque rants taped from down at the race track on our retinal interface while hovering to work on our rocket boots, there's going to be a thread mentioning the nixed CP3 deal right under the one about the first woman to dunk in the NBA. Probably raised whenever the Clippers passing us in championships is spoken of. And noone will give a [expletive] about Dwight, beyond being the subject of an extremely difficult trivia question. You and I will have forgotten his name.

#42 Toe Sucker

Toe Sucker

I suck my own toes.

• 11,859 posts

Posted May 27, 2014 - 08:56 PM

Figuratively this is happening.

tumblr_inline_n184xov2TM1qjco0e.gif

I like to dip my feet in toilet water & smell them.

#43 lakersince75

lakersince75

Sixth Man

• 3,194 posts
  • Fan Since:1975
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul Jabbar

Posted May 31, 2014 - 04:33 AM

Ask Dwight he's watching the playoffs just like everyone else. He and Harden

#44 KSOR24

KSOR24

Off The Bench

• 1,905 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted May 31, 2014 - 09:47 AM

Ask Dwight he's watching the playoffs just like everyone else. He and Harden

And he'd tell you he made the right decision.

#45 martin90

martin90

Off The Bench

• 2,178 posts
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted May 31, 2014 - 10:05 AM

The right decision?? he goes to a team which star is Harden and the coach is a bust. The Right decision if he's searching money, the worst decision if he's searching a ring or develop his game and be considered again the best C.

#46 KSOR24

KSOR24

Off The Bench

• 1,905 posts

Posted May 31, 2014 - 10:30 AM

The right decision?? he goes to a team which star is Harden and the coach is a bust. The Right decision if he's searching money, the worst decision if he's searching a ring or develop his game and be considered again the best C.

How were the Lakers with MDA any better? And last time I checked, the Rockets were younger, and they didn't have Kobe, whom Dwight did not like. At that point in time there was not a better option. Quit being bitter over the best center in the league leaving the Lakers.

#47 lakersince75

lakersince75

Sixth Man

• 3,194 posts
  • Fan Since:1975
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul Jabbar

Posted June 01, 2014 - 04:49 AM

Either way Dwight was watching the Playoffs. Houston did as well as the Bobcats

#48 LAKing85

LAKing85

Rookie

• 493 posts
  • Fan Since:89'
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe "Black Mamba" Bryant

Posted June 01, 2014 - 07:36 AM

I think the real question that should be talked about is how different would the Lakers be if David Stern never vetoed that Chris Paul trade because keep in mind, Dwight Howard was on his way to Lakersland right after that.

#49 PhillyLaker24

PhillyLaker24

Starter

• 5,361 posts
  • Name:Joe
  • Fan Since:2001
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted June 01, 2014 - 08:04 AM

^^^ Chip no doubt in my mind.

No reason to live in the past fellows and with Dwight we couldn't have been that much better he was on his butt watching the games in may too.

Edited by PhillyLaker24, June 01, 2014 - 08:04 AM.

All I want for Christmas is a Laker girl :D

#50 KSOR24

KSOR24

Off The Bench

• 1,905 posts

Posted June 01, 2014 - 09:29 AM

^^^ Chip no doubt in my mind.

No reason to live in the past fellows and with Dwight we couldn't have been that much better he was on his butt watching the games in may too.

You don't know if the talent would have meshed together.

#51 PhillyLaker24

PhillyLaker24

Starter

• 5,361 posts
  • Name:Joe
  • Fan Since:2001
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted June 01, 2014 - 10:21 AM

I don't know that. However, I do know we would of had three top 10 players. I mean we would of had Brown/MDA so maybe we would of sucked you never know. However in theory that would be the best big three combo in the league.

Edited by PhillyLaker24, June 01, 2014 - 10:22 AM.

All I want for Christmas is a Laker girl :D

#52 KSOR24

KSOR24

Off The Bench

• 1,905 posts

Posted June 01, 2014 - 10:26 AM

I don't know that. However, I do know we would of had three top 10 players. I mean we would of had Brown/MDA so maybe we would of sucked you never know. However in theory that would be the best big three combo in the league.

But it's not like if they had Paul all of a sudden Dwight would want to run pick and rolls. Dwight and Kobe would still want the ball in isolation.

#53 la1904

la1904

Rookie

• 354 posts
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:kobe, swaggy p

Posted June 01, 2014 - 12:54 PM

You guys are in denial. We lost the best center in the league. A center as Dwight's caliber is hard to find. We failed him by hiring the most pathetic coach possible.

you are a funny guy. ill take like any power forward over  dwight.  The only howard is good at is stopping LJB.. thats it. he is good at stopping power dunkers like james and blake stat... point gaurds still get lay ups and floaters on him allll day.  Since his injury he lost some hop that made up for him not being 7 ft.  At once a force in the league is now a whining version of surge or D. jordan.

#54 KSOR24

KSOR24

Off The Bench

• 1,905 posts

Posted June 01, 2014 - 01:04 PM

You guys are in denial. We lost the best center in the league. A center as Dwight's caliber is hard to find. We failed him by hiring the most pathetic coach possible.

you are a funny guy. ill take like any power forward over  dwight.  The only howard is good at is stopping LJB.. thats it. he is good at stopping power dunkers like james and blake stat... point gaurds still get lay ups and floaters on him allll day.  Since his injury he lost some hop that made up for him not being 7 ft.  At once a force in the league is now a whining version of surge or D. jordan.

LMAO I needed that laugh.
  • Jody Smokes likes this

#55 MrRJ

MrRJ

Rookie

• 1,094 posts
  • Name:Raymond Perez
  • Fan Since:I was born

Posted June 02, 2014 - 09:02 AM

The Lakers finished the season on a 5 game win streak and 15-7 over last two months. Not Great but not bad either. They were starting to find some type of rhythm. Alot of that was kobe exhausting himself and eventually hurting himself but still they were starting to win. If Dwight had stayed who knows how the lakers play out things last year.

After Dwight left they went to plan b which was reload for this off season. If Dwight had stayed things would have been different. Chances are we trade pau for some pieces to try to make a run and sign higher quality players. Maybe Kobe doesn't get offered as much money. All those factors are effected if Dwight stays.

I don't think Dwight is going to win in Houston. I do believe eventually he would have won in LA had he signed a long term deal.

But hey he didn't, so be it. I thought the decision really showed who he was. He left the spotlight and perhaps the greatest franchise of all time to play in Houston. Tells me all I need to know about what type of person he is. It was for the best.

Edited by MrRJ, June 02, 2014 - 09:03 AM.

#56 KSOR24

KSOR24

Off The Bench

• 1,905 posts

Posted June 02, 2014 - 09:10 AM

The Lakers finished the season on a 5 game win streak and 15-7 over last two months. Not Great but not bad either. They were starting to find some type of rhythm. Alot of that was kobe exhausting himself and eventually hurting himself but still they were starting to win. If Dwight had stayed who knows how the lakers play out things last year.

After Dwight left they went to plan b which was reload for this off season. If Dwight had stayed things would have been different. Chances are we trade pau for some pieces to try to make a run and sign higher quality players. Maybe Kobe doesn't get offered as much money. All those factors are effected if Dwight stays.

I don't think Dwight is going to win in Houston. I do believe eventually he would have won in LA had he signed a long term deal.

But hey he didn't, so be it. I thought the decision really showed who he was. He left the spotlight and perhaps the greatest franchise of all time to play in Houston. Tells me all I need to know about what type of person he is. It was for the best.

I still can't believe people think he couldn't handle the spotlight or he was a coward. I'm pretty sure he left because he didn't want to play with Kobe. It doesn't help that Kobe told him he'd be the third option LOL.

#57 MrRJ

MrRJ

Rookie

• 1,094 posts

Posted June 02, 2014 - 09:23 AM

I still can't believe people think he couldn't handle the spotlight or he was a coward. I'm pretty sure he left because he didn't want to play with Kobe. It doesn't help that Kobe told him he'd be the third option LOL.

What difference does it make if you win? Kobe and Pau are more offensively talented than Dwight. Dwight's the bigger star than Pau but that's because his ability to block shots and grab boards.

If Dwight would have committed to being a guy who cleans it up and anchors the defense Lakers would have been a better team.

If he left because "he didn't want to play with kobe". It's a cowardly move anyways. Make it work if you want to win.

The Lakers wanted to Commit to Dwight the same way they committed to Kobe in 2004. Even Kobe was on board with keeping him. Dwight said no.

Edited by MrRJ, June 02, 2014 - 09:26 AM.

#58 KSOR24

KSOR24

Off The Bench

• 1,905 posts

Posted June 02, 2014 - 09:27 AM

What difference does it make if you win? Kobe and Pau are more offensively talented than Dwight. Dwight's the bigger star than Pau but that's because his ability to block shots and grab boards.

If Dwight would have committed to being a guy who cleans it up and anchors the defense Lakers would have been a better team.

If he left because "he didn't want to play with kobe". It's a cowardly move anyways. Make it work if you want to win.

So were Shaq and Phil Jackson cowards too? If Phil couldn't tolerate Kobe's personality, then how can you expect Dwight, a guy who likes to have fun on the court, to? And the Rockets were younger and had practically the same record without Dwight, so if he wanted to win Houston made more sense.

#59 MrRJ

MrRJ

Rookie

• 1,094 posts

Posted June 02, 2014 - 09:47 AM

So were Shaq and Phil Jackson cowards too? If Phil couldn't tolerate Kobe's personality, then how can you expect Dwight, a guy who likes to have fun on the court, to? And the Rockets were younger and had practically the same record without Dwight, so if he wanted to win Houston made more sense.

Don't try to act like Kobe is the same Kobe he was in 2004. People grow up and mature. People always acting like Kobe hasn't grown into a solid leader. He is a much better teammate than he was back then. Phil Jackson and him had a great time their last run and Kobe does nothing but praise Pau Gasol/Other teammates and he commended Dwight for doing what Dwight felt was best for him.

Kobe was willing to make it work. If Dwight Howard is your first option on offense your defense better be pretty darn good or you won't win. Of course Kobe was supposed to be the first option but it's not like he wouldn't try to feed Dwight when it was necessary if it meant winning.

And as far as having fun? That's what I'm talking about. Having fun was more important to Dwight than winning. That's why I said it was for the best.

Edited by MrRJ, June 02, 2014 - 09:48 AM.

#60 gque24

gque24

Starter

• 4,683 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:KOBE

Posted June 02, 2014 - 09:49 AM

4get about D12 now! BUt it would have all depended on if Kobe reinjured himself with D12 still in lineup this yr to know how the season would have ended up

Never Wrong Always Right Like Freeway Exits!!

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users