#21 LakeShow1o1

LakeShow1o1

Superstar

• 7,248 posts
  • Name:The Black Mamba Will Rise
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted May 04, 2014 - 10:42 PM

Trade our pick + Nash for Love and Minny Pick (use pick to draft the best possible asset, maybe a PG)

Marshall, Kobe, Melo, Love, Gasol

PG, Young, Henry, Kelly, Hill

that contends for a playoff seed.

#22 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,429 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted May 04, 2014 - 10:43 PM

giphy.gif

• bigvee, JGuez, bfc1125roy and 3 others like this

#23 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• Gameday
  • 54,335 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted May 04, 2014 - 10:45 PM

giphy.gif

That said, WC does deserve credit.  He was talking about the Lakers were looking at sending their pick for Love months ago. 

"Bryant had come to rage against the idea that Howard's clownish disposition could overtake the locker room, the Lakers' culture, and had warned Howard that he would never, ever let it happen." 

#24 underworldmike

underworldmike

Rodmanator

• 1,499 posts
  • Name:Mike
  • Fan Since:Since i was born
  • Fav. Laker:Dennis Rodman and Kobe Bryant

Posted May 04, 2014 - 10:47 PM

What about trading nash + gasol + our first pick (if it lands outside of 5)

to the wolves

for kevin love + jj barea + their pick + their 2nd rounder.

Wouldnt that solve our glaring weakness for a point guard?

JJ barea might not be a star but atleast we know he shows up during playoff time and he hustles.

Steve nash would be able to mentor ricky rubio, While gasol can be partnered with rubio.

Edited by underworldmike, May 04, 2014 - 10:48 PM.

Posted Image

#25 Majesty

Majesty

• Gameday
  • 54,335 posts

Posted May 04, 2014 - 10:52 PM

Well if the Lakers took Minnesota's draft pick (which would be 13th) there's a point guard there they could still sign without needing Barea.  There's Payton, Ennis etc.  There's also Adreian Payne in terms of a forward/center which you would think they'd go after because getting Love with his bird rights pretty much ensures that Hill is going to leave. 

Edited by Majesty, May 04, 2014 - 10:53 PM.

• Julien likes this

"Bryant had come to rage against the idea that Howard's clownish disposition could overtake the locker room, the Lakers' culture, and had warned Howard that he would never, ever let it happen." 

#26 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 15,063 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted May 04, 2014 - 10:54 PM

I'll take Payne over Hill without any hesitation.

#27 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• Contributor
  • 14,996 posts
  • Name:Shamim
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted May 04, 2014 - 10:58 PM

I can see us landing one of them, not both of them. Even then, we have a LOT of other holes to fill on the roster if we want to get anywhere next season.

#28 BleedPurple&Gold

BleedPurple&Gold

Superstar

• 7,241 posts
  • Name:Gary
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant, Magic

Posted May 04, 2014 - 10:59 PM

Woah there bro found out Payne has lung conditions and easily get fatigued and can't stay in games long. Def take Hill over Payne. Plus i only see us getting one.

Edited by BleedPurple&Gold, May 04, 2014 - 11:02 PM.

#29 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 26,345 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted May 04, 2014 - 10:59 PM

Not much of this is realistic. 

#30 Majesty

Majesty

• Gameday
  • 54,335 posts

Posted May 04, 2014 - 11:02 PM

Woah there bro found out Payne has lung conditions and easily get fatigued and can't stay in games long. He'll be the same age as Hill too. Plus i only see us getting one.

That was back in the beginning of 2012 when he was playing 17 minutes a game with that condition.  He played in 2014 playing 28 minutes a game so I think he's fine.  

Edited by Majesty, May 04, 2014 - 11:03 PM.

#31 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 7,169 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant

Posted May 04, 2014 - 11:08 PM

You don't trade a pick for Love when he's a damn FA next year... -_- This pick can potentially bring us a franchise player that would make us set for years.
  • Jody Smokes likes this

"Busto Ball" - troll

#32 BleedPurple&Gold

BleedPurple&Gold

Superstar

• 7,241 posts

Posted May 04, 2014 - 11:11 PM

That was back in the beginning of 2012 when he was playing 17 minutes a game with that condition.  He played in 2014 playing 28 minutes a game so I think he's fine.  

nah his lungs condition isn't going way his lungs are small. It's been with him his whole life. He still gets fatigued rather fast minutes into the game. Can he keep up with the NBA pace hard to til.

Edited by BleedPurple&Gold, May 04, 2014 - 11:12 PM.

#33 Majesty

Majesty

• Gameday
  • 54,335 posts

Posted May 04, 2014 - 11:14 PM

nah his lungs condition isn't going way his lungs are small. It's been with him his whole life. He still gets fatigued rather fast minutes into the game. Can he keep up with the NBA pace hard to til.

Like I said, that was all the way back in 2012 when he was playing 17 minutes a game.  He had to learn to breathe again.  The fact of the matter is a vast improvement in his conditioning where the next year he averaged 25 minutes a game and THIS year he averaged 28 minutes a game. 

If his minutes still hovered at 17 you'd have a point but they don't and his minutes and conditioning improved every year in college despite his condition.

That can't be thrown out the window as if it was still 2012 and he was still barely managing 17 minutes a game.  

Edited by Majesty, May 04, 2014 - 11:15 PM.

#34 bigvee

bigvee

Legend

• 12,592 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Samaki Walker

Posted May 04, 2014 - 11:23 PM

Nash's contract is what makes this all very unrealistic. If there was a team that would swallow his contract without giving us anything back, then this all becomes a bit more plausible. 

This offseason is either gonna be Mitch and Jim's best work yet, or it's gonna be shattered by a bad contract or a pick that doesn't work out for us.

#35 BleedPurple&Gold

BleedPurple&Gold

Superstar

• 7,241 posts

Posted May 04, 2014 - 11:24 PM

Like I said, that was all the way back in 2012 when he was playing 17 minutes a game.  He had to learn to breathe again.  The fact of the matter is a vast improvement in his conditioning where the next year he averaged 25 minutes a game and THIS year he averaged 28 minutes a game. 

If his minutes still hovered at 17 you'd have a point but they don't and his minutes and conditioning improved every year in college despite his condition.

That can't be thrown out the window as if it was still 2012 and he was still barely managing 17 minutes a game. 

The NBA is way faster pace and he still gets tired minutes into the quarter. But yeah we will see I hope he does. I rather have Hill anyways tho.

Edited by BleedPurple&Gold, May 04, 2014 - 11:31 PM.

#36 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• Site Admin
  • 15,336 posts
  • Name:Brandon
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted May 04, 2014 - 11:35 PM

Take away Gasol (perhaps a sign and trade asset for Minnesota) and stretch Nash, tell me how realistic it becomes.

That's why I only commented on the four.

Without Nash and Gasol? Let's find out.

Cap is projected to be $62 million, which could be a reach...but I'll go with it.

Kobe: $23.5 mill
Young: $1.2 mill (player option he'll take)
Sacre: $1 mill
Marshall: $1 mill (team option we should take)

That's $26.7 mill, nobody else.

For your sake, we're trading Nash to an ignorant team...for a second-rounder. That won't happen, by the way.

We don't even bother bringing back Gasol, and we're assuming the Wolves will trade Love for a first-rounder.

Love is at $15.7 million. KO that from their books, and give it to us. $42.4 million payroll.

Carmelo would have to settle for a little under $20 million, and his Player Option with New York stands at $23.5 million.

So, we send our 1st rounder for Love, we convince Melo to take $3.5 million less, lose Nash, and go into the season with no money and the following roster:

C - Sacre
PF - Love
SF - Melo
SG - Kobe
PG - Marshall
-----
SG - Young

At that point, we're filling the team with Kelly, Bazemore, Johnson, Henry, and the guys that we saw this past season.

So, it's possible, but it's still not something we should be ultra-confident in, because in the manner at which we have to do it, it's going to require a lot of planning ahead, especially if a couple of guys slip in the draft, or a nice coach slips through our fingers.

#37 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 23,783 posts

Posted May 04, 2014 - 11:46 PM

I'm fine with doing this if the top 3 pick doesn't happen
Posted Image

#38 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Hall Of Fame

• 8,711 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted May 04, 2014 - 11:50 PM

The cap is at 63.2 million.

Melo could agree to sign 18M which would give the Lakers enough money to keep Sacre, Marshall (or Farmar), Kelly, Bazemore and Henry and still have 2.5 million left to spend.

We would need to move some salary out to get Kevin Love who earns 15.7M this upcoming season - perhaps Nash's 9.7? Of course Minny wouldn't like it, but Love could force their hand and getting Julius Randle is somewhat of a decent consolation prize as opposed to letting Love walk in free agency.

After doing the two first deals, they'd be over the cap => full Mid level exception.

This is possible and not even all that unrealistic. The question is whether that team would be good enough to win a championship.

Personally, i have my doubts.

Edited by DanishLakerFan, May 04, 2014 - 11:51 PM.

#39 Michaelyumm

Michaelyumm

Quick & Easy

• 11,417 posts
  • Fan Since:93
  • Fav. Laker:Nick Van Exel

Posted May 05, 2014 - 12:14 AM

Emeka Okafor is our Center next year

#40 lildvl10

lildvl10

Sixth Man

• 3,449 posts